1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,097 Posts
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/07/09/us.marshals.arrest/

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- More than 35,000 fugitives across the United States were arrested in June as part of an annual sweep that teams the U.S. Marshals Service with local law enforcement in a summer push to clean up the streets, U.S. Marshals said Thursday.
    U.S. Marshals director John F. Clark says unregistered sex offenders were a major target.

U.S. Marshals director John F. Clark says unregistered sex offenders were a major target.

Among the 35,190 fugitives apprehended during Operation FALCON (Federal and Local Cops Operating Nationally) were 2,356 fugitive sex offenders, the service said.

"This might be considered the cream of the crop for the most violent felons that are out there. For example, we arrested 433 murder suspects," said U.S. Marshals director John F. Clark at a Chicago, Illinois, news conference.

In the course of the operation, the marshals also confiscated 82 firearms and 2,400 kilograms of narcotics. "Often when we find fugitives in hiding, we have other fruits of their crimes: firearms, drugs, some other evidence of some type of criminal activity," Clark said.

Unregistered sex offenders were a major target, Clark said.

"We highlighted one [case] here in the Chicago area. It involved an individual who was alleged to have molested a 9-year-old girl. He had violated his parole, and after an investigation he was located," he said. "There's evidence of further crimes that happened since he didn't register as a sex offender. This is typical of the type of individual who is out there, somewhere on the streets of America, and is often harming children or others."

One operation involved a Cleveland, Ohio, Police SWAT team and the U.S. Marshals, who were following a lead on Jeremiah Jackson, 29, who was wanted for murder, accused of shooting a woman in the back during a robbery.

On June 9, the team surrounded a house where an intelligence surveillance team said Jackson might be. Jackson was reported to be armed and dangerous. But Deputy U.S. Marshal Brian Koerbel said once Jackson saw the team, it had its man.

"When he saw he really had nowhere to go, he gave himself up," said Koerbel. "He made the statement, 'I'm the guy you're looking for and I'll come right down.' "

In Cleveland, Koerbel said, the program was a success.

"We were able to arrest 1,211 people in a 30-day period. Five were for homicides," he said.

Typically, the U.S. Marshals office in Cleveland arrests about 100 fugitives in any given month. "This is just the type of operation that brings us all together and shows we're a force of one and shows the community we're here and this is a safe place to raise a family," Koerbel said.

Jackson was jailed on $10 million bond. He has not entered a plea on the murder charge, but his father, Willie James Jackson, told CNN affiliate WJW the police have the wrong man.
    Oh my god. Looks like they finally found a use for all that wire-tapping-homeland-security-information stuff.

2. Post #2
    December 2008
    465 Posts
    THIS IS LIES
    Electing a Democrat meant that we're going easy on crime, oh noes!

3. Post #3
    June 2009
    1,408 Posts
    "When he saw he really had nowhere to go, he gave himself up," said Koerbel. "He made the statement, 'I'm the guy you're looking for and I'll come right down.' "
    Should have rigged his house with explosives and carried around the detonator at all times.

4. Post #4
    February 2009
    28 Posts
    Wow...this sounds successful. Clean the streets, scare the rest of the was-about-to-be-criminals. :cop:

5. Post #5
    Respected User
    September 2006
    2,503 Posts
    Sounds like they did their jobs.
    Good on them.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,097 Posts
    Wow...this sounds successful. Clean the streets, scare the rest of the was-about-to-be-criminals. :cop:
    Unless it's politically motivated somehow... which I sincerely doubt though.

But if the government has that much power... to find that many fugitives... that's alarming.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    828 Posts
    It's amazing how efficiently we can do stuff if we choose to.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    290 Posts
    Hardcore

9. Post #9
    Dennab
    August 2007
    1,106 Posts
    nice

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    985 Posts
    Impressive. Where do they store all these people? The largest jails here in Canada have capacity for no more than a few hundred prisoners.

11. Post #11
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    I'm curious as to what the full numbers are in terms of what crimes committed by each.

Edited:

If they just caught like 30,000 gangbangers or murderers, fuck yeah.

If it's like 400 murderers and 29,600 potheads, waste of cash.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member

March 2009
    4,495 Posts
    I can't believe they pulled this off!

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    290 Posts
    But they still can't find tupacs killer :nyd:

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,097 Posts
    I bet you it was witness protection program or something.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,157 Posts
    Same guy who got JFK from the grassy knoll.

16. Post #16
    December 2008
    465 Posts
    This.
    Find Tupac's killer before Biggie's.
    Biggie < Tupac.

17. Post #17
    October 2007
    295 Posts
    Same guy who got JFK from the grassy knoll.
    The comedian killed tupac as well?

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,041 Posts
    I'm curious as to what the full numbers are in terms of what crimes committed by each.

Edited:

On the other hand, comedy movies will have to wire their material by sober standards now.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,199 Posts
    30,000 criminals rounded up in one swoop huh. Did they just suddenly decide to bust all the people they've been planning to arrest at once or something? What the hell were the other 32396 unaccounted for people arrested for? Personally, something like this has a certain kind of ambiguity to it that makes me suspect this isn't as simple as it seems.

20. Post #20
    January 2008
    1,847 Posts
    Reminds me of the dark knight, when Harvey Dent rounded a shitload of people.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,535 Posts
    Mmm, great, where do you put them?

Prisons are overcrowded enough as it is. The only thing that makes prison riots easier is dumping convicts into a prison that is already overcrowded and understaffed.

Roughly 1 in 100 residents of the US are in prison. The real job is rehabilitating inmates, and preventing crime in the first place, but instead they go do this crap with their money.

For one, they could start by reclassifying sex offenders, as in a lot of states, a 16 year old can fuck a 16 year old, and both still be classified as a sex offender. It's that sort of stupid bureaucratic BS that makes prisons overcrowded in the first place, the US justice system has absolutely no discretion.

"This 19 year old had consensual sex with a 17 year old, lock that monster the fuck up!"

Aside from that, punishments are far too intense for Marijuana possession and dealing. I'm sure a large portion of people stuck in prisons are ones who decided to toke up on a drug that is completely natural, and has no proven side effects other than damage from smoke inhalation (but lets face it, inhaling any smoke is bad for you)

It's all a fucking joke.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    885 Posts
    Massive fines?

23. Post #23
    November 2007
    705 Posts
    Okay. But it won't solve anything. Criminals won't become any less criminal just because you lock them up, in fact it might even make them worse. You have to prevent them from becoming criminals in the first place, through social rehabilitation and economic equality.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    12,243 Posts
    -snip-
    My bad, still a stupid idea.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,687 Posts
    EXECUTE THE BASTARDS!

On another note, fuck ya', I hate sex offenders, freakin' pedos and rapist.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,839 Posts
    I wish they would do that here in the uk, we would get rid aton of illegals, remove gun crime, and all that stupid drug trade, i mean, the uk is about the same size as the state of washington, maybe smaller.

+SUPPORT FOR THIS BEING DONE IN THE UK !

27. Post #27
    Gold Member

December 2006
    2,632 Posts
    Impressive. Where do they store all these people? The largest jails here in Canada have capacity for no more than a few hundred prisoners.
    In shipping crates.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    183 Posts
    Sounds like they did their jobs.
    Good on them.
    Russian immigrant

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    7,561 Posts
    Mmm, great, where do you put them?

Prisons are overcrowded enough as it is. The only thing that makes prison riots easier is dumping convicts into a prison that is already overcrowded and understaffed.

Roughly 1 in 100 residents of the US are in prison. The real job is rehabilitating inmates, and preventing crime in the first place, but instead they go do this crap with their money.

For one, they could start by reclassifying sex offenders, as in a lot of states, a 16 year old can fuck a 16 year old, and both still be classified as a sex offender. It's that sort of stupid bureaucratic BS that makes prisons overcrowded in the first place, the US justice system has absolutely no discretion.

"This 19 year old had consensual sex with a 17 year old, lock that monster the fuck up!"

Aside from that, punishments are far too intense for Marijuana possession and dealing. I'm sure a large portion of people stuck in prisons are ones who decided to toke up on a drug that is completely natural, and has no proven side effects other than damage from smoke inhalation (but lets face it, inhaling any smoke is bad for you)

It's all a fucking joke.

Pot punishment is only that bad because it is basically tax evasion.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    19,337 Posts
    US Marshals don't fuck around do they

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    12,243 Posts
    I wish they would do that here in the uk, we would get rid aton of illegals, remove gun crime, and all that stupid drug trade, i mean, the uk is about the same size as the state of washington, maybe smaller.

+SUPPORT FOR THIS BEING DONE IN THE UK !
    Has been done, immediatly after Colin Gunns arrest about 200 dealers and runners were arrested. Granted it seems a small amount to the OP but it pretty much took out the Drug Trade in my neighbourhood.

Edited:

Russian immigrant
    That argument is valid because?

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    267 Posts

Edited:

If I'm not mistaken, Operation FALCON is primarily aimed at criminals wanted for violent crimes. At least, that's what it says on the US Marshals site: http://www.usmarshals.gov/falcon/index.html

33. Post #33
    July 2007
    125 Posts
    Kudos to them for such a successful operation. On a side note...
    Operation FALCON PUUUUUUNCH?

34. Post #34
    caw caw motherfuckers
    July 2007
    7,849 Posts
    i'd like to know who they arrested, arresting that many people might be a huge waste of money depending on who they arrested.

"We were able to arrest 1,211 people in a 30-day period. Five were for homicides," he said.
    this makes me think it was a waste of money

35. Post #35
    September 2007
    541 Posts
    this sounds like batman stuff.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,535 Posts
    Pot punishment is only that bad because it is basically tax evasion.
    It's not tax evasion because the substance is still illegal.

"Here's tax money from a lot of pot I sold." < Because that is brilliant.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    7,561 Posts
    It's not tax evasion because the substance is still illegal.

"Here's tax money from a lot of pot I sold." < Because that is brilliant.
    It is only illegal because when it was first illegalised, you would need 1 stamp for 2 reefers.

38. Post #38
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    It is only illegal because when it was first illegalised, you would need 1 stamp for 2 reefers.
    what

39. Post #39
    ALSO KNOWN AS: Dumbass McScrublord
    October 2008
    1,623 Posts
    They didn't get me...

40. Post #40
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    They didn't get me...
    It's disconcerting knowing hard criminals like you are still prowling the internet.