1. Post #121
    March 2010
    427 Posts
    Robert stated on his Twitter that this game is just about ready for beta testing.

http://twitter.com/#!/RobertBriscoe
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #122
    There's only one person in this whole world like you. And people can like you exactly as you are.
    March 2008
    4,432 Posts
    come back
    ...thread, because it's time for a content bump!
    Dear Esther has entered closed beta! And get a look at this beauty.

There's even a soundtrack excerpt!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 12Artistic Artistic x 2Late Late x 1 (list)

3. Post #123
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    215 Posts
    "Good god..."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #124
    July 2010
    3,628 Posts
    I wanted to play this now, but I rather wait for the remake
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #125
    Golden Egg
    June 2010
    816 Posts
    Patiently awaiting another "I heard this game looks bad" comment in the thread, despite awesome content being very obviously present.

I'm so glad that they're going all out with the soundtrack this time. It'll be wonderful to experience Dear Esther with a full orchestra backing the visuals.

6. Post #126
    I make awesome maps that never see the light of day
    January 2007
    7,149 Posts
    Looks like Skyrim
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 17Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #127
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    5,385 Posts
    Maybe I'll appreciate it more this time around, I thought the first one was kinda trite and uninteresting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #128
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,813 Posts
    Looks like Skyrim
    it looks way more hardcore than skyrim
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #129
    August 2011
    1,047 Posts
    come back

But I thought the source engine was old outdated 2004 quake unoptimized crap that looks a lot worse than call of duty!!!!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #130
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,813 Posts
    But I thought the source engine was old outdated 2004 quake unoptimized crap that looks a lot worse than call of duty!!!!!
    hahahah
    look at cry of fear!!!!
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/cry-of-fear
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Funny Funny x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

11. Post #131
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    20,752 Posts
    The artist&level designer for this game really knows how create a moody enviroment.

We need more guys like this in media.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 5Zing Zing x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #132
    Want an apple?
    October 2010
    2,810 Posts
    come back

That music, those graphics - I'm as excited for this as Terraria's upcomming update!

[sub][sub]Edited:[/sub][/sub]

No, I'm actually more excited, this looks absolutely gorgeous! Some of the best outdoor graphics I've seen in a while.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

13. Post #133
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,712 Posts
    Judging by the lates and dumb, I can assume we still need to pay.

That's still bullshit. I mean, no one made him remake the damn thing, it was his idea. Trying to sell your hobby that you do for your own benefit is bullshit.

I know what you're going to say, "WAT ABOOT GAME DEVELOPERZ?". Well, game developers make shit not as a hobby, but as a fucking job. They get paid to do it because other people want them to make something, not because they want to make it.

In my opinion, all mods should be free. I'm pirating this and I hope the developer knows that.

(User was banned for this post ("Bragging about pirating." - postal))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb x 32Friendly x 1Funny x 1Agree x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #134
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,813 Posts

That's still bullshit. I mean, no one made him remake the damn thing, it was his idea. Trying to sell your hobby that you do for your own benefit is bullshit.

I know what you're going to say, "WAT ABOOT GAME DEVELOPERZ?". Well, game developers make shit not as a hobby, but as a fucking job. They get paid to do it because other people want them to make something, not because they want to make it.

In my opinion, all mods should be free. I'm pirating this and I hope the developer knows that.
    wow get a job
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 10Useful Useful x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #135
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,224 Posts

unlike you im appreciative of hard work and good art, which is what this mod is practically a flagship for. your attitude, how you selfishly expect something from someone who has no obligations to you, is fucking childish.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

16. Post #136
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,689 Posts

well let's see

this guy is making a game, and he's getting paid once the game releases. Therefore it is a job

and by your logic no indie developers should be paid, right? after all they are making games from their own ideas and not because some publisher is telling them to
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

17. Post #137
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    6,637 Posts
    speaking of paying (I haven't kept up with DE), is this just new assets but the same basic premise or was stuff added like a director's cut?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #138
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,813 Posts
    speaking of paying (I haven't kept up with DE), is this just new assets but the same basic premise or was stuff added like a director's cut?
    http://dear-esther.com/?page_id=133
    Q. I haven’t played the original,should I wait for the commercial release? Will playing the original mod completely spoil it for me?

A. I think this is something you must decide for yourself. It’s a remake after all,but with a ton of additional visuals,details and information added in. Think of it as a Director’s Cut.
    Yeah probably, apart from visuals and audio, I think there may be some new shit regarding story
    The only thing they've shown off is mostly the maps, cause Briscoe is such a fucking boss mapper.

They have a pretty hard out team too
    http://dear-esther.com/?page_id=2
    I would say having a few professionals would justify a price tag of something

19. Post #139
    February 2011
    538 Posts
    The feeling and atmosphere was awesome. Imagine it like a digital interactive painting. That lone distant flashing light in the fog alone was worth it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #140
    fug
    September 2009
    385 Posts
    I wasn't going to buy this at first, I'm not sure why... Anyhow I've come to my senses and decided I'll take the plunge and dig into my wallet.

This pretty much sealed the deal for me: http://www.dear-esther.com/DEostExcerpt.mp3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #141
    fug
    September 2009
    385 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 20Friendly Friendly x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #142
    Golden Egg
    June 2010
    816 Posts
    I was wondering when this thread would come back up.

Seriously looking forward to Feb 14.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #143
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,148 Posts
    The feeling and atmosphere was awesome. Imagine it like a digital interactive painting. That lone distant flashing light in the fog alone was worth it.
    sucks though, that the game version will be squished by kids, who have softened their heads with pew pew - games. :(
    Seriously, its not always about "pew pew bang bang". >.>
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

24. Post #144
    September 2006
    48 Posts
    Looks incredible! Just wondering how much it will cost ...

25. Post #145
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,198 Posts
    This cannot be released soon enough.

Looks incredible! Just wondering how much it will cost ...
    $9.99/Ģ6.49
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #146
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    2,252 Posts
    i might've played this if my attention span didn't last 2 minutes at best
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #147
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,050 Posts
    Here's the Sheet Music:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?pl77wyv2in4d0

Feel free to add this to the OP

28. Post #148
    November 2010
    5,054 Posts
    That was one of the best trailers I have ever seen.
    And that was one of the best musical pieces I have ever heard.

I am buying seven copies of this game.

29. Post #149
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,109 Posts
    Weird how at the beginning of this thread, people were talking about how bad this mod was, and now people are saying it's really great.

I personally thought that this mod was amazing. Even if I've played the original, I'll happily buy this new version of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #150
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    14,393 Posts
    Here's the Sheet Music:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?pl77wyv2in4d0

Feel free to add this to the OP
    Is this official?
    I'm surprised they wrote real music for this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

31. Post #151
    September 2011
    675 Posts
    That is Source? I would believe the devs if they suddenly announced they were lying the whole time and it was actually developed on CryEngine 3. I would buy this, just to look around ingame. Of course just a few months ago I shelled out for bf3, so it might not be happening.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

32. Post #152
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,050 Posts
    Is this official?
    I'm surprised they wrote real music for this.
    Yes, it is by the composer herself.

She sent it to me, we conversed through several emails for about a year.

33. Post #153
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,148 Posts

(User was banned for this post ("Bragging about pirating." - postal))
    I take that as you live on your parentīs basement, getting everything for free and not needing to worry about money.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

34. Post #154
    July 2009
    2,407 Posts
    When I played Dead esther all it seems that I did was walk around for about an hour and a half and was talked to by unconnected backstory, did I do something wrong or what?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 2 (list)

35. Post #155
    July 2009
    2,407 Posts
    dear, not Dead.

36. Post #156
    August 2009
    1,206 Posts
    dear, not Dead.
    You can edit posts, you know?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Informative Informative x 2Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

37. Post #157
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    65 Posts
    The only thing that could ruin this game, is hearing the default Source Engine footsteps... .......
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #158
    Maestro
    August 2006
    2,220 Posts
    I went back in time, gave Vincent Van Gogh a screenshot of Dear Esther, had him paint it, and then brought it back to the future.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 6Winner Winner x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

39. Post #159
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    6,039 Posts
    Why would I pay $10 to walk around and listen to a story I've already heard? Don't get me wrong, this is really awesome, but I'm not getting a game with literally no gameplay.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Zing Zing x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #160
    Golden Egg
    June 2010
    816 Posts
    Why would I pay $10 to walk around and listen to a story I've already heard? Don't get me wrong, this is really awesome, but I'm not getting a game with literally no gameplay.
    So don't buy it and wait for a Let's Play video instead.

vv
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)