1. Post #201
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    10,957 Posts
    I wouldn't call it a game, more like an interactive story. It was really nice to walk through.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #202
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    231 Posts
    The caves were breathtaking. I nearly shed a tear.

I especially liked the ending cutscene, if you can call it that. Very emotionally gripping.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #203
    joh
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    714 Posts
    Just played it. It is a very rich experience - the visuals and story telling is excellent. It's about an hour in length but the experience of playing it is amazing. As already said - the visuals are amazing: I found myself unable to resist taking loads of screenshots. They are here if anyone wants to have a look.

If you liked the mod - you will love this. If you haven't played the mod and don't mind playing a game simply for narrative and beauty, even better: check this out. If you didn't like the mod - you probably won't like this: unless graphics make a game for you and visuals were the only thing stopping you liking the mod. Overall, the game is an excellent experience - I would recommend checking it out. For me, it was easily worth the price.

4. Post #204
    I make awesome maps that never see the light of day
    January 2007
    7,423 Posts

Creepy props.
    Ghost_001 -006
    Has anybody seen those ingame?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 10Late Late x 1 (list)

5. Post #205
    May 2011
    499 Posts
    More than worth the €8 for a unique, really powerful experience. The second run through is just as good so remember to do that.

6. Post #206
    Cheesy and delicious.
    August 2010
    6,475 Posts
    Just bought it. 160 KBs connection. time to play the waiting game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #207
    There's only one person in this whole world like you. And people can like you exactly as you are.
    March 2008
    4,560 Posts
    Creepy props.
    Ghost_001 -006
    Saw something walking along the path near the shipwrecks on the beach, as in the first game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

8. Post #208

September 2011
    131 Posts
    Thought I saw a figure up on a cliff path at one point but nothing there when I investigated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

9. Post #209
    January 2007
    7,423 Posts
    I would like to see pic with one in it.

10. Post #210
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,340 Posts
    Reading the reviews for this, (especially the Destructoid one, which I find the comments for hilarious) make me weary of buying this. I'm just not sure it's really worth it to be honest. I bought the path, and was quite disappointed with it, and this seems just as ~ARTSY~ as that. I realize that it's an interactive story, rather than a conventional game. But, why should I buy it if I already have the original mod (which I loved) and other (and seemingly better) interactive stories like The Stanley Parable.

11. Post #211
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,086 Posts
    Very nice narrative and breathtaking visuals. The pictures doesn't do it justice. Maybe the price was a bit off-putting after all, but I've definitely paid more for less game value than this.

Edited:

If I read this right, the storytelling narrative is semi-randomized. Gotta try replaying this tomorrow, also to look out for those odd figures mentioned above.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #212

September 2011
    131 Posts
    I would like to see pic with one in it.
    Here. (Minor spoiler if you haven't played yet.)

Start up the second map and look to the left as you move down towards the ship and you'll see it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #213
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,940 Posts

Creepy props.
    Ghost_001 -006
    On the left by the fence.

Edited:

Didn't see the white woman.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #214
    January 2007
    7,423 Posts

Found one too.

15. Post #215
    November 2008
    1,266 Posts
    If anyone has an extra copy, I'll trade Hard Reset and Lightfish for this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

16. Post #216
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    1,376 Posts
    Does anyone mind explaining the story? I pieced it together sorta but I wanna see if other people got the same message from it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #217
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    3,093 Posts
    one of my friends bought the game and it has been removed from his list of games. wtf

18. Post #218
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,444 Posts
    Reading the reviews for this, (especially the Destructoid one, which I find the comments for hilarious) make me weary of buying this. I'm just not sure it's really worth it to be honest. I bought the path, and was quite disappointed with it, and this seems just as ~ARTSY~ as that. I realize that it's an interactive story, rather than a conventional game. But, why should I buy it if I already have the original mod (which I loved) and other (and seemingly better) interactive stories like The Stanley Parable.
    I've played the mod before, and honestly, I'm willing to pay another $10 simply because of how much I loved the mod. Also, it's obvious that a huge amount of work went into this, and I'm alright paying $10 to support them as well.

19. Post #219
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    2,552 Posts
    This was really nice. I loved the mod, but like others, i thought it lacked in exploration and visuals. This however, had a fair amount of exploration, yet it still subtly was on a fixed path.     The last map, where you would find pictures and a clip of audio would cue was really nice, and when you went underwater, images flashed through your mind.   

The game had extra dialogue, new scenes and places to go to, and much better story telling compared to the mod. New dialogue to expand on the story really made it worth it to me.     The highway crash scene underwater was really well done. The ending cutscene was also very interesting and well done, much better than the mod.   

Very very nice, well worth the $10 IMO
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #220
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,148 Posts
    I believe it's about a man who    sort of caused his wife's death in a traffic accident, blaming himself he isolates himself on the island. He compares his case with Jakobean, Donnelly and Paul. He's got kidney stones and now a broken and infected leg. But I'm pretty sure by that time he's dead anyway and you're playing as a ghost sort of thing.   

Edited:

yeah $10 well spent
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #221
    Cheesy and delicious.
    August 2010
    6,475 Posts
    I've never installed anything that had more of an emotional impact on me than this version of Dear Esther. The main reason for this is the caves. I used to live in Marianna, Florida where my father's job as a park ranger was to take visitors on a tour of the caves. The displays were beautiful with artificial colored lighting.

This mod has re-created those scenes on a grand scale, in much more vivid detail. The water looks absolutely amazing in the caves. A tear welled up in my eye when the end cutscene played (one of those long-awaited-game-ending tears).

I highly recommend that this game in installed. I'll have to invite my friends over to enjoy it as well.

With that, I leave you with a screenshot I got of one of my favorite cave-scenes in the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #222
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    3,163 Posts
    This was well worth the $10. It's everything that made the original mod so great, but markedly better in every way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #223
    Dennab
    July 2009
    7,650 Posts
    hard to believe this is source.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

24. Post #224
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    9,690 Posts
    I just played through Dear Esther and it was just amazing. The ending was so beautiful I teared up a little. How the narration just played out along with the subtle hints that you could find to understand the story of the narrator. It was just beautiful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #225
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    754 Posts
    I fraps a 12 minute video of the very beginning in HD for those who want to see how it looks. The FPS is a little low because of fraps, but the texture detail is turned up, ant-aliasing is at default (anisotropic x4 if I recall correctly).
    Theres a little something funny at the very end as well.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

26. Post #226
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    1,057 Posts
    I don't want to alarm anyone, but I'm pretty sure this game is broken. I played through it twice and both times it failed to spawn my beginning weapon inventory. This made the boss battle at the end exceptionally difficult, especially since the guy leads his laser attack pretty well. However, during some practice playthroughs to prepare my speedrun, I discovered a neat Easter egg:

Overall, I think this mod has great potential. I hope they can polish it up and sell it on Steam some day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 22Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #227
    There's only one person in this whole world like you. And people can like you exactly as you are.
    March 2008
    4,560 Posts
    I believe it's about a man who    sort of caused his wife's death in a traffic accident, blaming himself he isolates himself on the island. He compares his case with Jakobean, Donnelly and Paul. He's got kidney stones and now a broken and infected leg. But I'm pretty sure by that time he's dead anyway and you're playing as a ghost sort of thing.   

Edited:

yeah $10 well spent
    Shows how differently the game can be interpreted. I thought    Paul got drunk and crashed into the narrator's car, killing Esther, and the reason for the narrator's fixation with the island was that Esther was a descendant of Donnelly (The narrator calls her "Esther Donnelly" in the ending cutscene) and they may have visited it together. Though the narrator also calls Paul "Paul Jacobson", and since Jacobson apparently died alone trying to earn enough to raise a family, it could just be some delusion.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #228
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    4,940 Posts
    I doubt it is, but holy shit is this real?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

29. Post #229
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,148 Posts
    Shows how differently the game can be interpreted. I thought    Paul got drunk and crashed into the narrator's car, killing Esther, and the reason for the narrator's fixation with the island was that Esther was a descendant of Donnelly (The narrator calls her "Esther Donnelly" in the ending cutscene) and they may have visited it together. Though the narrator also calls Paul "Paul Jacobson", and since Jacobson apparently died alone trying to earn enough to raise a family, it could just be some delusion.   
    nah you got that right but    it isn't delusion, it's more like all the coincidences such as Donnelly exploring the island and Jakobean dying on it, years later their children end up killing each other in away   
       oh and the books, i think that's how he found out about Donnelly and Jakobean, realising the ironic coincidence he's fucked off and throws the books out   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Useful Useful x 2Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #230
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,840 Posts
    I always thought while I was playing it that the island    was simply a metaphor (not the word I was looking for but ah well) for the afterlife, and the narrator is finding his place in his death as he "dreams" of his journey on the island. I.E. the car crash happened long ago, and then the narrator dies from some kind of infection or etc, and then the game "starts" with him on the island, trying to cope with loss in his life and finding the strength to spread his wings to "move on".

At least that's how I interpreted it. 

Anyways, great little game. Really overpriced but I didn't mind paying $10 for it personally.

This really reminded me of a gameplay-less version of Call of the Fireflies, which has a similar style, except that mod actually has interactvity on some level, and no voice acting.

I'd love to see this "genre" explored more. If I were to design something similar, I'd want some kind of interactivity built in, and maybe a way to speed up after backtracking (like finding out hidden areas gives you the ability to "run" or "hobble" fast for one time).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

31. Post #231
    March 2008
    4,560 Posts
    nah you got that right but    it isn't delusion, it's more like all the coincidences such as Donnelly exploring the island and Jakobean dying on it, years later their children end up killing each other in away   
       oh and the books, i think that's how he found out about Donnelly and Jakobean, realising the ironic coincidence he's fucked off and throws the books out   
       He was not drunk Esther, he was not drunk at all, and it was not his fault, it was the converging lines that doomed him! This is not a recorded natural condition, the gulls do not fly so low over the motorway and cause him to swerve! The paint scored away from his car in lines, like an infection, making directly for the heart.   

I really like the script in this game. First time through it seems random, but after a couple of playthroughs you begin to notice the patterns.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #232
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    754 Posts
    I just finished my first play through.

I dont know what to fucking say...
    The word "awesome" is so improperly used now, but pretending that its true meaning is still intact, this is awesome.

33. Post #233
    I'm a cute gril! :3
    February 2005
    1,435 Posts
    You really have a thing for gman, hm?

34. Post #234
    Valor
    September 2008
    19,546 Posts
    Never tried an artsy game before along the lines of this, $10 can't hurt right?

35. Post #235
    March 2008
    4,560 Posts
    Never tried an artsy game before along the lines of this, $10 can't hurt right?
    Lots to explore, story is partly randomized so you'll probably want to play it again. I'd say it's worth it.

36. Post #236
    January 2007
    7,423 Posts
    Found one ghost in the lighthouse.

37. Post #237
    November 2007
    137 Posts
    Those ghosts made me stay on the edge the whole time. But now I'm good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

38. Post #238
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,148 Posts
    I reckon they're there to collect your soul, but they don't know who you are
    just an aimless ghost stalking someone else's dead life cause you can

39. Post #239
    May 2011
    499 Posts

Extremely pretty game but it's hard to express in screenshots.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #240
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    392 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)