1. Post #241
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    1,327 Posts
    it shows the source engine still can look absolutely fantastic

i also checked my frame rate at one point and it was capped out at 300. thats pretty amazing for a game that looks quite good

2. Post #242
    joh
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    714 Posts
    I played this again today - it is actually worth a second playthrough, you get different narrative snippets and the first time I didn't get the    underwater motor-way scene.    Half the narrative snippets were new to me.

3. Post #243

September 2011
    131 Posts
    I also replayed it.

The underwater motor way scene was different the second time, first time I saw two cars, this time a single hospital bed.

Also I noticed the ghosts this time. No wonder it felt haunted the first time through, it fucking well was!

Locations I saw ghosts:
    - Top of the lighthouse at the start.
    - In front of the old house on the grassy hill where your camp bed is
    - On the cliff path to the left as you explore the wrecked cargo ship.
    - When you exit the caves one watches you from the top of cliffs the entire time. Only disappearing when you get all the way up there.
    - Bottom of the aerial tower behind the fence. This one doesn't disappear. You can see it's glowing eyes.

Also I noticed this time I didn't get the gull flying over your head making you duck event either. 

4. Post #244
    joh
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    714 Posts
    There's something about this game, I kinda want to play it again now... Think I'll wait a few days though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #245
    I make awesome maps that never see the light of day
    January 2007
    7,405 Posts
    I haven't seen the    underwatermotorway   at all.
    Video?

6. Post #246
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,082 Posts
    I haven't seen the    underwatermotorway   at all.
    Video?
    Same here. I saw some shapes the few times I walked/fell into deep water but I couldn't identify it.

7. Post #247
    May 2011
    499 Posts
    It's impossible to finish the game without hitting that as far as I know. Might be some bizarre bug.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #248

September 2011
    131 Posts
       It's the last drop into water in the caves. You come up right before the light leading to the exit.    
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #249
    May 2011
    499 Posts
    Crosspost from GIGM, click for huge images.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #250
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    23 Posts
    So it seems the game is a huge success: 16,000 copies sold in the first 24 hours and the IndieFund investment ($55k) was covered in about 5 hours and a half. Game was profitable after that point.

http://indie-fund.com/2012/02/dear-e...rs-30-minutes/

By the way, am I the only one who took at least 100 screencaps on his first playthrough?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Winner Winner x 20Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #251
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,905 Posts
    Yeah I pretty much made a video from all the screenshots I took.

Also, did anyone ease feel extremely uneasy looking down that huge hole outside before you enter the cave? I could hear a woman crying at the bottom.

12. Post #252
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,691 Posts
    Where can you buy the soundtrack?

13. Post #253
    May 2010
    4,892 Posts
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene_glycol

That's the Chemical Compound seen in the lighthouse at the beginning.

look at its uses :v   

14. Post #254
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    754 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #255
    joh
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    714 Posts
    It's impossible to finish the game without hitting that as far as I know. Might be some bizarre bug.
    I didn't get it on my first playthrough either. I think there is a small chance that it doesn't happen.

Just contributing a screenshot too.

16. Post #256
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,828 Posts
    So it seems the game is a huge success: 16,000 copies sold in the first 24 hours and the IndieFund investment ($55k) was covered in about 5 hours and a half. Game was profitable after that point.

http://indie-fund.com/2012/02/dear-e...rs-30-minutes/

By the way, am I the only one who took at least 100 screencaps on his first playthrough?
    That's awesome. $10 is still "too much" for what it is, but I thought it was interesting enough to warrant a purchase, as I want to encourage these types of games more. Plus it's kind of a gold-mine art-gallery from a level design perspective, which is interesting to me as a level designer.

I just hope most of the people who bought it within the first 24 hours were of similar mindset to me, and weren't expecting something that would give you your "$10 worth" in playtime or game experience, and just wanted to support something that is pretty cool and an interesting experiment.

17. Post #257
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,150 Posts
    Where can you buy the soundtrack?
    You can get it from the game´s directory.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #258
    joh
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    714 Posts
    Eh, it's short but I think it's $10 worth of game quality - not just a 'bonus' for donating to the developers. The replay value is actually surprisingly good too.

Also - it's interesting how on the first page of this thread most people are hating the mod and insulting it. I suppose the comments are all positive for the game because people only bought it if they knew what sort of thing it was they were getting. The mod was good - but the game is perfect.

19. Post #259
    May 2011
    499 Posts
    Honestly with this being perceived as low value for the money I think the soundtrack should be free to people who own the game.

I got what I wanted out of it but a soundtrack would put it up with other games in that price bracket for the people who have a tight game budget.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

20. Post #260
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,828 Posts
    Eh, it's short but I think it's $10 worth of game quality - not just a 'bonus' for donating to the developers. The replay value is actually surprisingly good too.

Also - it's interesting how on the first page of this thread most people are hating the mod and insulting it. I suppose the comments are all positive for the game because people only bought it if they knew what sort of thing it was they were getting. The mod was good - but the game is perfect.
    I think it's a quality game in most respects, some less than others. For example I feel like removing all forms of interactivity is a downside, not an upside even for a game like this, and it would have really benefitted the experience if the user could be drawn in more so they didn't feel like they were a camera on legs.

That's not to say I walked away from it feeling bitter about it - because I didn't. Its a nice game you can play anytime that I can see one go back to when you are sad or just want to "isolate" yourself in something that is borderline transformative. But from a dollar-spent-to-time-spent ratio, it's pretty bad. Perhaps not fair to judge a game like this on those merits, but many people are like me in that respect this day and age. "A game's worth is judged by amount of quality hours spent per dollar spent"

21. Post #261
    August 2009
    1,206 Posts
    Just finished this, was amazing

So the guy is a seagull, right?   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 16Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #262
    May 2011
    499 Posts
    Is it just me or is there no way to enable HDR in this game? Seems like something it should have but I can't find any indication of it existing.

23. Post #263

September 2011
    131 Posts

No just any seagull though. It can use a torch!   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

24. Post #264
    August 2009
    1,206 Posts
       No just any seagull though. It can use a torch!   
       Something like this?   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 18Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #265
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    2,700 Posts
       That would explain the accident.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

26. Post #266
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    23 Posts

I'm pretty sure he is a pidgeon   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Funny Funny x 7Zing Zing x 1 (list)

27. Post #267
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,542 Posts
    Found one ghost in the lighthouse.
    Oh shit I went in there but never noticed it.

Bricks, I just shat them.

28. Post #268
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    9,649 Posts

No, he was a pelican.   

29. Post #269
    August 2009
    1,206 Posts
       No, he was a pelican.   
       Okidoki   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Informative Informative x 4Funny Funny x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #270
    August 2010
    869 Posts
    Crosspost from GIGM, click for huge images.
    is it me, or does this image look far more like a painting than a screenshot? I would be able to tell that the others where taken in a game, but i'd probably have guessed wrong here.

Also, i played through the entire thing and didn't realise    that you were being followed/haunted by ghosts the whole time   . I feel really unobservant now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

31. Post #271
    August 2009
    1,206 Posts
       I'm pretty sure he is a pidgeon   
       Okay, did he look like this?   

Edited:

is it me, or does this image look far more like a painting than a screenshot? I would be able to tell that the others where taken in a game, but i'd probably have guessed wrong here.

Also, i played through the entire thing and didn't realise    that you were being followed/haunted by ghosts the whole time   . I feel really unobservant now.
    I didn't notice this on my playthrough either, also i have a question    Who drew all thos weird words and chemical stuff on the walls, was it the protagonism, the one you're playing, or someone else on the island?   

32. Post #272
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    I just noticed something amazing. When you look in the console while playing, the save message looks like this:

Code:
    SAVEGAME:    0.6kb,    0.0kb used by   0 entities (donnelley)
    On my first playthrough it said (paul) instead. That would mean it chooses at random which of the three persons you play and hear the story of? :O
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

33. Post #273
    May 2011
    499 Posts
    I just noticed something amazing. When you look in the console while playing, the save message looks like this:

Code:
    SAVEGAME:    0.6kb,    0.0kb used by   0 entities (donnelley)
    On my first playthrough it said (paul) instead. That would mean it chooses at random which of the three persons you play and hear the story of? :O
    The levels are named after characters. Four total, paul, jakobson, esther, and donnelley. Not entirely sure what order they're in though.

Edited:

It lacks a lot of obvious video game artifacts. No heightfield looking terrain, not many underdetailed textures, no visible repeating textures/geometry and zero aliasing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #274
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    The levels are named after characters. Four total, paul, jakobson, esther, and donnelley. Not entirely sure what order they're in though.
    Ah, you're right.

35. Post #275
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,082 Posts
    It's just that the picture doesn't visibly contain the traditional little details that we've learned to recognize a game screenshot by, such as inconsistent coloration, pixelated or repeating textures, visible polygon vertexes, jagged edges etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #276
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    384 Posts
    I'd say this game is fairly popular, the website of Dear Esther is down because: "The allowed bandwith for this account has exceeded.". I love that this game broke out to massive population and didn't linger to be "forgotten", absolutely love this game and it deserves all the attention it gets.

37. Post #277
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,082 Posts
    It's still pretty much topping the Steam sales list

Edited:

Wow nice, it's almost half-way up the 100 most played games list:

To think it's been topping all those games in terms of activity...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

38. Post #278
    June 2011
    2,310 Posts
    I must have more games like this.

I would love to explore a more urban setting with that kind of storytelling, textures and mystic. It felt genuinely bleak and it's something that Ive never thought video games would ever accomplish.

Imagine an entire post-apoc city you'd have to explore and it's full of clues, notes, photos etc as to what happened to that city. Id play that shit to death.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Winner Winner x 7Agree Agree x 3 (list)

39. Post #279
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,082 Posts
    Probably a dumb question but did you try The Stanley Parable?

40. Post #280
    June 2011
    2,310 Posts
    I have, but not quite related I think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)