1. Post #1
    July 2008
    46 Posts
    Is this power supply strong enough to run an nvidia geforce 8800 gt video card?

Load Min Max
    +3.3V 0.3A 28A
    +5V 1.0A 36A
    +12V 1.0A 16A
    -5V 0A 0.5A
    -12V 0A 0.8A
    +5VSB 0A 2A

The power supply is 480W.

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,062 Posts
    what brand is it

3. Post #3
    i wanna fuck joe
    December 2006
    1,395 Posts
    yes

4. Post #4
    February 2006
    1,735 Posts
    Whats the brand? Also, if you don't mind me asking, why are you getting an 8800gt?

5. Post #5
    Dennab
    May 2009
    812 Posts
    It should pretty much be able to, I don't know much about it, but apperently my 9800GTx can run fine with 400w. Although I think I'm starting to feel the pain from it.

6. Post #6
    FUCK YOU
    November 2006
    1,922 Posts
    No. That's a very bad powersupply. If you paid more than 20$ for that thing you got ripped off.

Look at the 12v rails. Just one with 16A. That's not enough.

Edited:

No. That's a very bad powersupply. If you paid more than 20$ for that thing you got ripped off.

Those nutjobs looking at just the wattage and saying it'll work are dumbasses.

Edited:

I just saved another guy from blowing up his computer due to people who don't have a rats ass of a clue about computers saying his graphics card will work fine.

7. Post #7
    July 2008
    46 Posts

Edited:

Those nutjobs looking at just the wattage and saying it'll work are dumbasses.

Edited:

I just saved another guy from blowing up his computer due to people who don't have a rats ass of a clue about computers saying his graphics card will work fine.
    i paid 15$ for it

Edited:

what brand is it
    I dont know the brand because im getting an replacmnet mother board for my computer and for an extra 15$ i get the power supply.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,062 Posts
    i paid 15$ for it
    in that case no
    Edited:

I dont know the brand because im getting an replacmnet mother board for my computer and for an extra 15$ i get the power supply.
    and NO.

9. Post #9
    July 2008
    46 Posts
    here is the power supply and mother board im getting: http://www.cputopia.com/emachines-mo...ent-t6420.html.

10. Post #10
    FUCK YOU
    November 2006
    1,922 Posts
    i paid 15$ for it
    Well, it'll pull a pc with an integrated graphics card, but it won't do an 8800GT.

Here's a video of what can happen if you use cheap PSU's:

I'd recommend getting an Antec PSU, 400+ watts should do the trick with plenty of room to spare.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,945 Posts
    It will work, 16A is plenty.

Edited:

Denzo you need to calm the fuck down.

12. Post #12
    FUCK YOU
    November 2006
    1,922 Posts
    It will work, 16A is plenty.

Edited:

Denzo you need to calm the fuck down.
    No it's not, the 8800GT needs at least 18 amps, that's the least I found, some sites even say 22-26 amps.

Get your facts straight.

And besides, 16 amps is very, very little.

Most good powersupplies these days have at least 36 amps and two 12v rails.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,117 Posts
    If you're going to go cheap with your PSU's you should at least do it right:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817171031

Should work for you. I got it, and it's excellent so far.

14. Post #14
    July 2008
    46 Posts
    how about this power supply?
    Anitec true: 380w

dc output +5v +12v +3.3v -5v -12v +5vsb
    max 35a 18a 28a 0.5a 1.0a 2.0a
    min 0a 0.8a 0a 0a 0a 0a

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,117 Posts
    Just go with a reputable company. Save your self the explosion. It's worth not destroying every component in your computer isn't it?

16. Post #16
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,945 Posts
    No it's not, the 8800GT needs at least 18 amps, that's the least I found, some sites even say 22-26 amps.

Get your facts straight.

And besides, 16 amps is very, very little.

Most good powersupplies these days have at least 36 amps and two 12v rails.
    Look, you probably got that from the manufacturer's website. When I bought my 9800 GT, on the box it said that it required 24A, and I ran it on 14A for over half a year with a heavy overclock.

Oh, and you want a single 12V rail, not two. My facts are straight as an arrow.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,117 Posts
    Look, you probably got that from the manufacturer's website. When I bought my 9800 GT, on the box it said that it required 24A, and I ran it on 14A for over half a year with a heavy overclock.

Got an article for you non-believers. ;)

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/88626-...tiple-12v.html

18. Post #18
    FUCK YOU
    November 2006
    1,922 Posts

There's nothing wrong with multiple 12v rails.

And yeah, it can run on less amps, but it's not really a good idea. Cheap PSU's can simply blow. You probably just had luck.

Why the hell do people even risk their hardware over a PSU which is inexpensive compared to the rest of the hardware.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,117 Posts

And yeah, it can run on less amps, but it's not really a good idea. Cheap PSU's can simply blow. You probably just had luck.

Why the hell do people even risk their hardware over a PSU which is inexpensive compared to the rest of the hardware.
    It's mind boggling to me too, a $14 PSU? Are you serious? Legally you'd think that those companies would have to have some sort of liability for selling such shitty, flammable hardware. *ughh*

20. Post #20
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,945 Posts

There's no such thing as luck.

Edited:

And you should read that article, you can risk getting less power to your graphics card or other hardware by using a power supply with multiple 12V rails. One rail with a bunch of amps is better than four rails with the amps spread out.

21. Post #21
    FUCK YOU
    November 2006
    1,922 Posts
    I'm not gonna bother with you guys any more.

Sure, go ahead and run that 8800GT on your crappy PSU.

Just that they won't replace your card if it inevitably breaks down and goes into the grave with other hardware too.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,117 Posts
    I agree, it's really not luck when you have a 97% of getting a flaming lemon. All that luck is is chance.

23. Post #23
    FUCK YOU
    November 2006
    1,922 Posts

Edited:

And you should read that article, you can risk getting less power to your graphics card or other hardware by using a power supply with multiple 12V rails. One rail with a bunch of amps is better than four rails with the amps spread out.
    That is true, but in this case OP only has 16 amps. There are no powersupplies that have 16 amps in total with multiple 12v rails.

One 12v 48A rail > three 16A rails, but three 16A rails > one 16A Rail.

Oh yeah, no manufacturer will replace dead hardware if you used a PSU that didn't meet their requirements.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,117 Posts
    That is true, but in this case OP only has 16 amps. There are no powersupplies that have 16 amps in total with multiple 12v rails.

One 12v 48A rail > three 16A rails, but three 16A rails > one 16A Rail.

Oh yeah, no manufacturer will replace dead hardware if you used a PSU that didn't meet their requirements.
    Oh yeah, I do agree that OP is rather foolish for buying a shitty PSU, I was just clarifing the misconception that you've got to have multiple rails in your PSU. I can't imagine doing anything stupider than buying a $15 PSU and putting it in my computer.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    1,805 Posts

Most budget power supplies blow, cept for the 1 ina million budget psu that actually works as advertised.

I was lucky to score one and it's powering my gaming pc as we speak. It's a 550watt with 1 12v rail. It's been powering my pc for over a year now without problems.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,945 Posts
    I'm not gonna bother with you guys any more.

Sure, go ahead and run that 8800GT on your crappy PSU.

Just that they won't replace your card if it inevitably breaks down and goes into the grave with other hardware too.
    Yeah that's totally going to happen with an Antec power supply.

27. Post #27

July 2009
    68 Posts
    OP, you're fucking foolish ordering from that site.
    For $176, you could get a nice CPU (Athlon 7750), a decent $50 mobo, 2GB of RAM, and a good power supply from Newegg.

Edited:

And Odellus, I wouldn't trust anything on that $15 "480W" PSU that puts out 16A on the +12V rail.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    7,767 Posts
    here is the power supply and mother board im getting: http://www.cputopia.com/emachines-mo...ent-t6420.html.
    Holy fuck that's a rip-off.

29. Post #29

30. Post #30
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,945 Posts
    You could do better for $200.

31. Post #31

July 2009
    68 Posts
    Kay.
    Show me.

Edited:

I mean, you could probably find a good combo deal.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    181 Posts

33. Post #33
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,945 Posts

34. Post #34

July 2009
    68 Posts
    Yes, but not well.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,945 Posts
    The components you picked are shit and the 7750 is out of stock...

36. Post #36

July 2009
    68 Posts
    The shit I made came out to $190, I just checked.
    Of course spending $15 more will get you nicer shit.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,945 Posts
    well?

Edited:

omfg

38. Post #38

July 2009
    68 Posts
    The components you picked are shit and the 7750 is out of stock...
    Don't get me started on Foxconn mobos.
    They're FINE. Just because you were enough to think that a serial port was a VGA port doesn't mean that they suck.

Edited:

Oh, and OP wanted a case.

Edited:

If you added in the cheapest case on Newegg for $20, yours would cost $35 more than mine.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    181 Posts
    How does multiple rails work? Do you just add the amps together to get the total amps? Or is it like a multi core cpu in which it splits the power of different things?

40. Post #40

July 2009
    68 Posts
    How does multiple rails work? Do you just add the amps together to get the total amps? Or is it like a multi core cpu in which it splits the power of different things?
    The +12V rails provide power to different connectors - for example, one rail might power just the PCI-E connectors.
    Why not just get this and this if you're looking at a new video card and power supply?