1. Post #81
    April 2009
    2,189 Posts
    Any updates?

2. Post #82
    May 2007
    376 Posts
    Ok, what does everybody prefer (before I start mapping and need to make it all over again)
    A london stylisch theme,
    or a normal city (alot of squares and copied streets)
    Or something in between? Cause blocky things can like be used for buildings you can only see from far away.

Edited:

And yea, the london city will be really small. But maybe I would make it bigger in time (when the rest is done)

3. Post #83
    October 2008
    177 Posts
    I think a london theme would add to the doctor who feel, But then again it would be cool to materialize the TARDIS into the dark ally of a city... well as long as I can fly the TARDIS out of control, bump off a building and land in an ally (season 2 episode 1, "Christmas invasion") I'll be happy :P

4. Post #84
    May 2007
    376 Posts
    :P, just got back.
    And yes, I had the same feeling about the london theme. But then again, it would take up alot of brushes.
    But london also has alot of normal square buildings outside the center.

But london theme styled buildings are usually rly high :P, like a tower.

Edited:

On my side it is dinner time,

And I made a quik sketch about what I want as a city, and I might rebuild certain parts of london, cause those places just rly make it london :P.

5. Post #85
    October 2008
    177 Posts
    :P, just got back.
    And yes, I had the same feeling about the london theme. But then again, it would take up alot of brushes.
    But london also has alot of normal square buildings outside the center.

But london theme styled buildings are usually rly high :P, like a tower.
    What if you made a small city, but had a 3d skybox with the tall london buildings for the background? That way you can have the london feel without using all the brushes...right?

6. Post #86
    May 2007
    376 Posts
    I feel like a shamed :$,
    bicause I never used a 3d skybox, but I've seen the texture, but I think it is not just aplying the texture isn;t it?

7. Post #87
    July 2009
    555 Posts
    what i mean about the spacebuild map is let "us" travel between planets... like the moon or another galaxy.... cause thats what Dr. Who is...

8. Post #88
    May 2007
    376 Posts
    Does anyone know how to lower the ldr % in the map, I am at 70& now :(

Edited:

And I am just rebuilding london for a bit, and filling or replacing certain buildings wich would take up way too much brushes.

Edited:

I thought this was the best way to replicate the london feeling

Edited:

How to lower LDR leaf ambient?

9. Post #89
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,391 Posts
    You should make the courtyard area around and including rose's flat.

Would be a bit easier and more of an identifiable area than a whole chunk of london.

10. Post #90
    May 2007
    376 Posts
    But it won't be a whole chunk of london, just a smal piece, and yea, what courty yard do you mean??

Edited:

And how to lower the ldr%, cuz it is rly anoying, yesterday I almost hit the 100% while not even having one house... And the house was mapped normally, nothing wrong with it.

Do I need to raise the lightmap scale to lower the ldr leaf ambient %?

Edited:

And I tried to use a func_lookdoor, but concole erors me with:

ERROR: DoorLook (test) given no target. Rejecting spawn.

Edited:

But there isnt a target thingy to fill in??

11. Post #91
    May 2007
    376 Posts
    Today a litle progress. I tried to make the don't blink house, but it turns out that lookdoor and triggerlook only work in hl2 and in singelplayer.
    But What I've got now, are the plans on what I will make of london. I've marked a very litle spot on google maps, tried to gues how much it would take to build, and
    crossed a line. I will make a litle bit of the normal flat buildings, and some of the high old buildings, so you get dark passways between buildings and beatifull tall buildings to fly around :P

So, wasted almost all my time on trying to get this to work. And I also played around with doctor who :P
    I've took a old street I made a very long time ago, and putted doctor who in it :D

12. Post #92
    October 2008
    177 Posts
    sweet I like the passways and buildings, It will be fun to crash land the tardis after bumping into a few buildings and stuff =D

13. Post #93
    May 2007
    376 Posts
    I might make a option, to turn th antigravity on and off of the tardis :P
    And, also a nice idea, when it gets damage too much it could become out of controll :)

But upcoming week I got like hell lot of work hours a day,
    so I won't be able to work on it this week, but then again, I might just spent a few hours on this project
    when I am not that tired of work. (small chance)

14. Post #94
    October 2008
    177 Posts
    with antigrav off it wont hover but it will still fly right?...Oh that is a neat Idea too, the whole damage scale...are you going to include the extrapilator shielding?

15. Post #95
    May 2007
    376 Posts
    No, it won't fly anymore with anitgrav off. Thrusters aren't strong enough then, if I'd made the thrusters strong enough it would spazz with antigrav on :P

But it would be usrfull to evading something by just falling real fast, or I could use it when hitted.
    You would need to get out of the chair and turn the grav on again inside the tardis on the concole.

16. Post #96
    October 2008
    177 Posts
    No, it won't fly anymore with anitgrav off. Thrusters aren't strong enough then, if I'd made the thrusters strong enough it would spazz with antigrav on :P

But it would be usrfull to evading something by just falling real fast, or I could use it when hitted.
    You would need to get out of the chair and turn the grav on again inside the tardis on the concole.
    Oh I see, well the damage will repare itself after a bit so that the antigrav will turn back on right?

17. Post #97
    May 2007
    376 Posts
    Oh I see, well the damage will repare itself after a bit so that the antigrav will turn back on right?
    No, you would need to get out of your chair, and push a button on the concole and then for example the antigrav goes on in 10 secs. 10 secs, wich is enough to be entered with a found key.

But I need to go to work today (again) till late. But I have some ideas I might work out tomorrow about the void (the world between parallel worlds :P)

18. Post #98
    October 2008
    177 Posts
    okay cool, cool

19. Post #99
    May 2007
    376 Posts
    Ok, I made a small box map, and tested my void (space between two parallel worlds) theory, and it turns out I was right!

So next vid would probably be me showing what I mean with ma void.

Edited:

But remember, this void will be extremely undetailed, and it would only be there as function,
    But I will still keep it as a secret :P

You'll see it, when I aplied it to my new map, wich would be london (wich I also gotta finish, got only a small start...)

But I won't be able to work on this today, nor tomorrow, or friday. Maybe saturday (wich I also gotta work)
    And else it would be definetly sunday ;)

20. Post #100
    October 2008
    177 Posts
    Ha the void doesnt have to be detailed, Its the void :D

21. Post #101
    May 2007
    376 Posts
    :P,
    But the conecept worked, thats what I've provend. Saturday or maybe sunday I'll be working on my london map. Hope to have a vid ready on sunday ;)

BUt, it is working time over here again, cya.. Got work till late.. and tomorrow its the same..

22. Post #102
    October 2008
    177 Posts
    Cant wait to see it :D

23. Post #103
    Everything I post is absolute bollocks until proven otherwise.
    July 2008
    10,879 Posts
    One roleplay map had a secret tardis. When you find it the doors would open and you would go inside. You would hear the tardis noise and when the doors opened you would be somewhere else.

The problem was it has no tardis interior. It was just a police box. Maybe you could look at that and do something similar?

Also have you seen this:

Keep these guys updated on your work: http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=763896

:)

24. Post #104
    May 2007
    376 Posts
    Ow, didn't knew someone else was making a doctor who map. :ninja:

And wow, that interior looks awesome, maybe even better than mine.
    But I am like shit I got a brush limit to follow
    and they are like, models do not have limits.

Edited:

And I am very tired,. and tried to import the void into a new set up... But the void is just beeing voidy..
    Anyways, I'll be working on this upcoming sunday ;), tomorrow will be a tough day, and saturday even worse.

25. Post #105
    October 2008
    177 Posts
    I like your map a lot it looks great, and yours is functional.

26. Post #106
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,391 Posts
    looking forward to the updates :)

I just watched the girl in the fireplace episode. So sad.

27. Post #107
    May 2007
    376 Posts
    Ok, awake :P
    Gonna eat something, and then I promis I start mapping ;)

I will have some progress in a few hours..
    Also, I can't map all day.. my pc has to virus scan, wich takes up alot of cpu wich will give me a headache while mapping with a hammer wich runs frame by frame...

But it rly needs to virus scan, I have alot of performance lost into nothing, also I will reinstall my mother board drivers and clean my pc from the inside :P, but first I'll map a few hours ;)

Edited:

I also cleaned up the first post a bit :P

Edited:

Ok, the void thing works now, but with a bug I still can't seem to fix, but it is only a small bug ;)

still mapping further, and I'll make a vid in about a hour.

28. Post #108
    October 2008
    177 Posts
    Yes I cant wait to see the vid :D

29. Post #109
    May 2007
    376 Posts
    :p, I am almost done with the london,
    I also worked on this yesterday, so it ramps up very quikly today.

I will make the vid in 7 mins, when the compile is done.

Edited:

Something I can already tell you is,
    that I have updated the tardis interior for a bit.
    I changed some of the textures and fixed small bugs.
    Now it looks even more like the tardis :P

Edited:

And I will also make a new intro :P
    one wich is way cooler ( I hope)

Edited:

I have added images at the first post, and cleaned it up much more :P

I also added changelog pictures of my progress, of each "season"

30. Post #110
    October 2008
    177 Posts
    Looking good, I like the bright green glow you have around the console, makes it look more realistic to the show

31. Post #111
    May 2007
    376 Posts
    The vid is beeing uploaded,
    and I made a second, one jsut for mah london, and one for the void.
    The void is kinda too big to explain in such a short vid.

Edited:

And, I used a diffrent song than the traditional doctor who theme :P

Edited:

One episode is up
    second is underway (still beeing processed)

32. Post #112
    October 2008
    177 Posts
    The London map looks amazing!!!!!

33. Post #113
    May 2007
    376 Posts
    Nice to hear that :P
    And the second vid should be done any min now.

Edited:

Second one is up now

34. Post #114
    October 2008
    177 Posts
    nice, I like how you can see the outline of the map, it makes it look like a space ghost world thing which is great...I am really liking all this so far =D

35. Post #115
    May 2007
    376 Posts
    It is the void between two parallel worlds :P

But for now, mah virus scanners will start to scan so I won't be able to map further till they are ready (wich can take 5 hours... Got two big hard drives)

But that idea with a second doctor.. One from the future.. wich would be a second (fake) tardis with a npc.
    I can like make the tardis distorted and make the npc that way also. And to help that doctor you would need to go into the void where the tardis and the npc are real. (not like a hologram)

And I can do this with items also, you found a hologram like item, but you can wlak through it?? You want to obtain it? (like the tardis key :P) go into the void and grab it :D
    The perfect way to hide your key :P (I can do this with the tardis also, once the tardis flew into the void, a hologram could apear at the exact spot in the real world, you would see a hologram flying but you would pass right through it.)

The current status of the map is official: ready to be played.
    It has a slight bug wich doesn't remove the portal once the tardis closed the gab.. So that is something I would need to fix tomorrow (if I have the time after work)

And this map also has just one event :(, the void gab wich breaks the world up,
    So I will need to think of a some other events also. Any suggestion would be welcome ;)

36. Post #116
    October 2008
    177 Posts
    Sweet are you going to release a demo now or...?

...well actually when your virus scan is done, but the question is still the same :P

37. Post #117
    May 2007
    376 Posts
    I don't know :$
    I would like to have minimal three events in my map as demo.

Else my demo would be like rly boring :$
    YEa you can fly with the tardis and do some tricks with it, and be interactive with the void in my london

but that would be it :$,
    I will make some advantages for the normal players also, instead that only the one beeing the doctor has all the power. :P

Edited:

I have changed the first post :D, is more like a menu kinda thing now :P

38. Post #118
    October 2008
    177 Posts
    kk, I understand, Well as for events, you should make a utopia place and after a while the same thing from the end of the episode happens (not sure If you saw utopia, you probably did but I dont want to take any chances)

39. Post #119
    May 2007
    376 Posts
    Yea I have seen that episode ;)
    But don't make any spoilers for maybe others who didn't :P

but I am not sure I can reproduce the end, but I can make the beginning.
    Also I will make some "broken" places in london, where the void and the world merged :P.
    Like a rift wich needs to be closed by the doctor,

And I have another idea, wich I will keep a secret for you all :P, something very strange but
    awesome in doctor who style :P. It would give the doctor (the player wich owns the tardis) a feeling
    he needs to handle everything with caution, and he needs to really hide his tardis, to keep it his.

40. Post #120
    October 2008
    177 Posts
    You should have a "rift storm" after the rift is left open for a while in wich zombies are randomly spawned and stuff