1. Post #121
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,478 Posts
    Isn't that "Pac Steam" about still? From what I remember you just create a new account download it. login and you can play every game Steam has to offer. A friend of friend uses it.

To me it sounds to good to be true and I support steam. In my opinion their DRM is fair.
    Yeah but with all the pac steam bullshit you can't play online.A pirate won't be able to join servers etc.So yeah pirates hate it,trust me I have a past I ain't proud of and I know a lot of that shit

2. Post #122
    BIG TITLE
    November 2009
    7,560 Posts
    I didn't like it when I had it just for one game, but now its great that I have a game collection I have access to any where I have access to steam.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #123
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    Steam deals, automatic updatesystem, having all games in one list, you don't need to search for old CDs/DVDs anymore, lots of awesome indie games, social network, etc.
    None of these are qualites that only can be solved through a third program idling in the background while you play a game. Do you honestly believe that all non-steam games lack things like automatic updates and no-disc requirements?
    10MB out of 4GB is not a lot. That is when steam is idling. When steam is running, chat or whatever, it uses 100MB. Still not a lot.
    But it's memory that's going to waste. Imagine if I gave you this program that was required to keep running in order to play any game. The program doesn't do anything, it just sits there and occasionally crashes. It takes 50 Mb RAM. And when you ask me why you must have this running, my only response is "But it's only 50 Mb, it's not much. Get a better computer if this bothers you". That's bullshit reasoning. The solution is of course to remove that program entirely.

Steam was invented by Valve to fight piracy and to make money (Steam deals, lol). There's no question about it. And for that purpose, it's a genious program. Instead of seeing the obvious, you look at "features" such as "having all the games in a one list" and "steam deals" (because you are the winner when you spend money!!). And of course most of you are sucked right into it, because after all, Valve is God and could never do anything wrong.

Look it's one thing to accept that Steam is there for the sake of the company. It's another to say it's actually good and benefits the customers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

4. Post #124
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,249 Posts
    Not used RAM is wasted RAM.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 7Zing Zing x 2 (list)

5. Post #125
    July 2009
    2,629 Posts
    I was dumb to think Steam takes alot of CPU power earlier is doesn't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #126
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,053 Posts
    i don't like not being able to play games offline.

7. Post #127
    Dennab
    June 2011
    560 Posts
    If Steam disappears, your games disappear.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #128

March 2011
    20 Posts
    i don't like not being able to play games offline.
    You can. https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...3160-AGCB-2555

9. Post #129
    October 2007
    1,488 Posts
    None of these are qualites that only can be solved through a third program idling in the background while you play a game. Do you honestly believe that all non-steam games lack things like automatic updates and no-disc requirements?

But it's memory that's going to waste. Imagine if I gave you this program that was required to keep running in order to play any game. The program doesn't do anything, it just sits there and occasionally crashes. It takes 50 Mb RAM. And when you ask me why you must have this running, my only response is "But it's only 50 Mb, it's not much. Get a better computer if this bothers you". That's bullshit reasoning. The solution is of course to remove that program entirely.

Steam was invented by Valve to fight piracy and to make money (Steam deals, lol). There's no question about it. And for that purpose, it's a genious program. Instead of seeing the obvious, you look at "features" such as "having all the games in a one list" and "steam deals" (because you are the winner when you spend money!!). And of course most of you are sucked right into it, because after all, Valve is God and could never do anything wrong.

Look it's one thing to accept that Steam is there for the sake of the company. It's another to say it's actually good and benefits the customers.
    Do you ever upgrade your PC to play newer games that have an improved engine and require a improved graphics card, CPU, Ram ect? If so with those improvements you should be able to run steam no problem. You shouldn't even be phased by steam when playing games.

It does a lot of the things you don't expect. Upgrades graphic drivers, patches games, in game web browser and overlay.

It is worth the the little bit of ram it asks for.

Edited:

If Steam disappears, your games disappear.
    Could you expand on what you mean disappear?

If you mean when or if Valve go bust they have already put measures into place so you can continue to play the games you bought. I imagine the community will be strong enough to keep online gaming going as well.

Edited:

Yeah but with all the pac steam bullshit you can't play online.A pirate won't be able to join servers etc.So yeah pirates hate it,trust me I have a past I ain't proud of and I know a lot of that shit
    Oh, I heard it passed through VAC secured servers.

Good to know you went legit. Worth the price of the games.

10. Post #130
    September 2008
    953 Posts
    To some people on the first page, how shitty is your computer Steam takes up most of your memory?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

11. Post #131
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,637 Posts
    I use steam, but more of a necessity than any direct wish to do so. I would much prefer a mere download manager where I can manually select the patches I want applied, what games I want to have. But which I don't need for the games themselves to run.

a) it consumes resources (not a lot, but still does - and it went out of proportion since the last update) I used to have an old desktop that ran older games with older steam fine. Ever since the update. The pc struggled with steam just itself.

b) forced to have the most up to date version on install. Can't choose what updates you want.

c) the offline mode is a buggy piece of crud that more often than not doesn't work.

d) no actual control. - internet goes down and I have no way to install a game. Can't pick an alternate install location and a whole lot of other stuff.

Ans seeing SP games enforce steam is just bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #132
    April 2011
    393 Posts

relevant
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Mexico Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

13. Post #133
    October 2011
    31 Posts
    My only complaints are:

No offline play. (you can even launch anything with ought wifi.)
    Cant run games with ought running steam. (takes up processing power while playing a game, when you need it most!)

but other than that i like it. But i also like xbox, and ps2. Consols will never die, but we should never forget about computers.

Also the "steam validating files"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #134
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,460 Posts
    To some guy above here somewhere, I really doubt Valve will go bankrupt.

They've built too big of a name in the gaming industry to have it happen, and if any innovation is going around, they're usually the one sparking it.

15. Post #135
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    3,787 Posts
    I have a very low-end PC and Steam runs just fine for me.

I've loved Steam since the day I got it and have never looked back.

16. Post #136
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    But what exactly is it that Steam provides that otherwise would be troublesome to accomplish? That games from other devs fail to deliver?

"All games in one list"
    This is ridiculous. Just put a folder on your desktop and drag the game icons there?

"Automatic updates"
    Practically every new game has this. It's not a feature. It's often a requirement since a lot of games focus on online play.

"No more struggling with DVD/CDs"
    Hardly any new games require this. If anything it's good because it allows for express installation without the need to download anything prior.

"Games are linked to a single account / you can access all your games wherever you are"
    First of all, this isn't that amazing as it might seem. How often does this come handy? Since you must download and install any games, it takes a shitload of time anyway. You're not gonna casually play some Portal or TF2 during recess.
    Secondly, it's not that unique. Lots of developers are using the same deal. Blizzard for example. It's becoming a standard.
    Thirdly, it's pointless if you only use Steam for like one or two games.
    Lastly, it can be a bad feature. If you link many games to a single account then only one person can play any one of those games at the same time. And good luck LANing.

"Nice community experience"
    I can't speak for this since I don't use this much. But tbh it just seems like they've moved the "community experience" from your webbrowser to this separate application. Pointless.

"Steam deals"
    Aka "deals". If I wanna shop games, I'm gonna shop games. I have no desire to be shoved with ads just because I want to play a game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

17. Post #137
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    8,013 Posts
    I've never had any problems with steam and the games are easily available for download right after buying without need to have them shipped. There are good sales too sometimes.

I think some people just like to bitch
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #138
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    I've never had any problems with steam and the games are easily available for download right after buying without need to have them shipped.
    Digital purchase. Yeah, that's a standard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Late Late x 1 (list)