1. Post #81
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,321 Posts
    I'm not sure if I'm just making this up, but there was that one dragonball mod for half-life 1 made the bots say stuff about steam.

2. Post #82
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    3,355 Posts
    Steam store doesn't like euros at all. For steam 1 Dollar is equal to 1 euro. Which pisses off a lot of europian users (Not me) But thats not with the English pound.
    BlaSPHeMY!

3. Post #83
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,031 Posts
    Steam store doesn't like euros at all. For steam 1 Dollar is equal to 1 euro. Which pisses off a lot of europian users (Not me) But thats not with the English pound.
    BlaSPHeMY!
    If you haven't noticed, they inlucde VAT nowadays in the prices so it would cost me the same to get it from a shop than from steam. (And I use euros)

And I love steam. I have got most of my internet mates thro steam and you can just install the games without CD keys and you don't need to hassle with discs etc.

All the time I have computer on the steam runs on background. And I have had no problems since 2004.

4. Post #84
    August 2009
    896 Posts
    The only things I don't like about steam are

- as said before, the shittyness of offline mode
    - downloading 5gb+ games on my shitty connection, but obviously that's not the fault of steam, but rather the fact that Australia has shitty internet

5. Post #85
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    3,371 Posts
    its DRM but im too stupid to notice that. i just like it too much

6. Post #86
    October 2008
    701 Posts
    who actually uses the steam web browser
    I listen to music trough it sometimes. Like when playing Garrysmod.

7. Post #87
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,457 Posts
    also i have had lots of people try and hack him and i have been hack and it takes a long time to get all ur games back and some times it costs and i also hate it when ur not on the internet it fucks up

8. Post #88
    June 2009
    870 Posts
    not loads of people hate steam; loads of people are impassive about steam

9. Post #89
    June 2009
    2,020 Posts
    The prices are outrageous. A game that costs 50usd costs 50€. It's +20usd to the price, just because I live in Europe. What the Christ.

10. Post #90
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,031 Posts
    The prices are outrageous. A game that costs 50usd costs 50. It's +20usd to the price, just because I live in Europe. What the Christ.
    VAT. It would cost the same to me to buy from shop or steam.

11. Post #91
    Max
    Ikuu~
    May 2009
    15,167 Posts
    I love everything about steam
    EXCEPT
    steamforums
    oh the horror :ohdear:

12. Post #92
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,347 Posts
    When the hell was this? I don't use that laptop anymore but I remember playing HL1, CS1.6, just general goldsrc games a shitload on it and they worked fine.
    Changes to minimum specifications

On June 30, 2007, users who ran Windows 98 or Windows Me were no longer allowed to run Steam or any games that previously supported those operating systems. However, only a small percentage of Steam users were affected by these changes.[58] Installing Steam on either of these operating systems results in an error forwarding the user to the Steam support website.[59] Additionally, users without SSE processors were warned that Source engine games would no longer function "within the next few months" if they did not upgrade their computer hardware (due to the impending release of its multiprocessor update).
    There we go, it has a large chance of not working due to lack of official support now.

13. Post #93
    BlaSPHeMY!
    This.
    Steam prices are utter bollocks, and they should just sell them in dollars.

14. Post #94
    Huge Faggot #2
    November 2007
    5,149 Posts
    because the web browser takes five hundred and a half fucking years and then doesn't even load webpages correctly

15. Post #95
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    3,574 Posts
    Because it frzzes all the time.

And. And. itake long age to load.

16. Post #96

March 2012
    2 Posts
    Its laggy as hell and always steam.exe is not working and u cant even play all games because of steam and i lost all my Just Cause 2 saves cuz steam deleted 'em there were just a popup "JustCause2.exe memory deleted"... i deleted the memory of steam.exe and everything else made by Steam

(User was banned for this post ("Needless 2-year bump" - Megafan))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb x 20Funny x 4Informative x 1Useful x 1Late x 1Zing x 1Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #97
    November 2008
    1,127 Posts
    Back when Steam was first released, it sucked giant monkey balls. Now, I can't imagine playing PC games without it. It's definitely come a long way. My only gripe is that, for me, it likes to randomly lock up for about 15 seconds for no reason whatsoever.

Edit: Holy fuck, I didn't even realize this was from 2009.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

18. Post #98
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    2,115 Posts
    People hate steam?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #99
    ALPHA MALE
    Dennab
    January 2012
    1,541 Posts
    I remember the old friends system, and it was something like it was integrated on the main menu of Valve games, and to add people you needed their actual account name. There was no "community" so you couldn't search for it. I can barely remember how it worked. Oh fuck, necrobump. Sigh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

20. Post #100
    May 2011
    269 Posts
    -sorry, didn't realise this was a necrobump-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

21. Post #101
    DPRKFC
    March 2012
    800 Posts
    I think people don't like it for the DRM.
    Lots of people hate UbiDRM, and some don't even buy their games just because of it.

People don't want to be online to be able to play their favorite game.
    They want access when they want to play it.

Why should they have to be online to play a game they own?
    Just because some people (yes, I know it's a lot more of people, but bear with me) pirated it?

What happens if Steam/VALVe shuts down?

Will people lose their games or will they [VALVe] disable the DRM?

It's like the service "OnLive"
    What happens if it goes down?
    According to their Terms of Service, they could pull the game from their shelves and not let you play it at anytime.
    Even though you payed the full price as physical media/Steam prices.

People think once you've bought it.
    You own it.
    You can do what ever you want with it (inside the license, distribution, modifications, etc;)

TL;DR: DRM

22. Post #102
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,973 Posts
    it's been stated that if valve was about to go down they'll make sure you have all your games before it goes under
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #103
    October 2007
    1,489 Posts
    I've been a member of Steam since 2006. I've never really had a problem with it.

The only thing I can moan about is that steam .blob file when you can't open the program. But that is a pretty rare issue and you can sort it within two minutes or less.

I think you'll have to be a pretty casual gamer not to enjoy steam's features.

Personally I think most of Valve's games aren't much without Steam. Playing any Valve's games on a console just doesn't feel right at all.

But when I joined up since I have a friend that I often plays online games with we made the switch from XBOX the original one to PC. It felt pretty fresh. I was hooked on the little things. Since downloading my games was so new and pretty amazing. Not needing a disk was a dream come true.

But if the service was to shut down I'll have worse withdraw symptoms than a heroine addict.

No service can't really compare to steam. Core, Origin and those third parties won't ever compare to steam and it's community.

24. Post #104
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    15,543 Posts
    steam was really ass back in 2003 and i only used it because they moved the cs servers from WON onto steam.

25. Post #105
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,832 Posts
    My only problem is that someone in my house will be I WANNA PLAY THAT GAME. My fatass sister complains that she wants to play "gawwys mod" or my dad wants to try DX:HR and I can't play any of MY games.

26. Post #106
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,665 Posts
    I starting to hate it, i can't fucking do shit, first it was sticking at updating steam now its sticking at connecting to account, I got it on two times, and that's it. This is starting to piss me off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

27. Post #107
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,159 Posts
    My only problem is that someone in my house will be I WANNA PLAY THAT GAME. My fatass sister complains that she wants to play "gawwys mod" or my dad wants to try DX:HR and I can't play any of MY games.
    but if your dad wants to play HR then he's obviously actually a reptile disguised as your dad and you should kill him before he can get your sister too

28. Post #108
    I bought this title for 1 dollar
    April 2009
    8,520 Posts
    Been using steam since 2003 (Shared old one with brother, then gave it completely to him after I made a new one in 2008) and the only problem I've had with them is the shit it gives you when you don't have internet. I really enjoy having all my games in one place though.

29. Post #109
    October 2007
    1,489 Posts
    Tell them to get their own steam account. Those games aren't very expensive.

I don't like using other peoples steam just doesn't feel right.

30. Post #110
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,832 Posts
    Tell them to get their own steam account. Those games aren't very expensive.

I don't like using other peoples steam just doesn't feel right.
    I got my sister a cheap account with gmod 9 on it but since the account was originally my dad's since he got HL2 in 04, he keeps saying its his. I understand that but the only games that he had paid for on that is CS:S and HL2, while I've put almost $1000 in games on it.

31. Post #111
    Fluttershy Enthusiast
    June 2011
    6,168 Posts
    Steam has had several issues for many people as in glitches.
    Its currency conversion is bullshit too.

32. Post #112
    October 2007
    1,489 Posts
    I got my sister a cheap account with gmod 9 on it but since the account was originally my dad's since he got HL2 in 04, he keeps saying its his. I understand that but the only games that he had paid for on that is CS:S and HL2, while I've put almost $1000 in games on it.
    No one in my house dares touch my account without permission. Let alone my PC.

I think your sister and dad need to have a talk between that cheap account and leave your account alone.

After investing $1295.31 into my steam I wouldn't let some friend or relative go on. Imagine if they got me a VAC ban.

Edited:

Oh, the is one problem I had with it now thinking.

When me and my friend were having a LAN. We both couldn't use our own Steam account. I think it may of been because we were using the same IP.

He had to do a few tweaks to get it working. Don't know if that problem has been fixed yet or not.

33. Post #113
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,569 Posts
    Pirates hate it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Greece Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

34. Post #114
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,832 Posts
    Pirates hate it.
    The pirates that don't use cracks.

Edited:

Wait, can you trade/give games from your library now?

I will trade Black ops/MW2/BF:BC2 For a key. (One of them)
    No, only extra copies.

35. Post #115
    October 2007
    1,489 Posts
    Pirates hate it.
    Isn't that "Pac Steam" about still? From what I remember you just create a new account download it. login and you can play every game Steam has to offer. A friend of friend uses it.

To me it sounds to good to be true and I support steam. In my opinion their DRM is fair.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #116
    November 2008
    707 Posts
    i know a few people that still think steam is shit and hate it. I love it tho, I don't think PC gaming would be as good as it is if there was no Steam. Just realized I made my Steam account when I was 10, holy shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #117
    August 2009
    3,883 Posts
    Why do people like Steam?

What's so great about having a sluggish, laggy, glitchy, connection required, memory-eating app, that doesn't add anything of value, running as a middle hand whenever you just want to play a game?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

38. Post #118
    June 2011
    2,992 Posts
    The most hate it, because of old reasons. On some newssites, related to steam, I always read hate comments where people dislike steam, because you can't go in offline mode, you can't play games on other computers, having downloading problems although you can change the download regions and the automatic updatesystem, although you can deactivate it too.

?
    Steam deals, automatic updatesystem, having all games in one list, you don't need to search for old CDs/DVDs anymore, lots of awesome indie games, social network, etc.

39. Post #119
    June 2010
    6,315 Posts

What's so great about having a sluggish, laggy, glitchy, connection required, memory-eating app, that doesn't add anything of value, running as a middle hand whenever you just want to play a game?
    Well aside from the fact I haven't had any problems with it (aside from the browser loading slowly from time to time), it takes care of a lot of things for you. You don't have to worry about necessary third party software or patches and you can easily verify your gamecache and redownload files. Even the installation is automatically done and you don't need to verify keys or something again after unlocking your product on Steam. That's a huge number of problems taken away from your average user that just wants to play but occasionally has problems with applications on PC because developers can't accommodate for every possible hardware/software combination.

Beyond that, steam cloud, CD independence, insane sales, ingame chat, and if you like mods the workshop is heading into an interesting direction.

P.S.
    Once Steam has verified your account, you can put it in offline mode and your games will stay accessible as long as you don't restart the client (which would restart the account verification process), so it's not like always-online-DRM either. It's still an anti-piracy measurement, but it's primarily something much more useful and convenient, and that's what makes it so popular.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

40. Post #120
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,314 Posts

If you have problems with Steam eating too much RAM, your PC is too damn old.

10MB out of 4GB is not a lot. That is when steam is idling. When steam is running, chat or whatever, it uses 100MB. Still not a lot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)