1. Post #1
    December 2005
    35 Posts
    [release][tab]Name:[/tab] gm_excess_waters

[tab]Version:[/tab] 1

[tab]Description:[/tab] It's a lot of water with land bits stuck in.

[tab]Requirements:[/tab] gmod

[tab]Download:[/tab] [/release]

I made it to follow the same style as one of my other maps gm_excess_construct. It's a large construct map with scattered complexes which are mainly empty. Each of these areas is separated by water. Map includes ai nodes, a simple 3d skybox, and a copy of the newsroom from my other map.

All custom content is packed into the .bsp file, this includes the CSS skybox texture.

Installation
    Extract the 'garrysmod' folder from the archive and put it in:
    C:\Program Files/Steam/steamapps/<USER NAME>/garrysmod
    If asked to overwrite, select yes.

Media

Features

Wire Inputs

These are mainly used for door control. All doors have built in buttons that don't require wiremod, the inputs are just in case you wanted to add more or wanted a key card scanner on the outside or something.

Most doors have multiple inputs, you only need to use one of them. They are fairly simple and with a bit of experimenting can be figured out quickly, however I will give an overview:

Door Control - 0 Closes the doors, anything over 0 opens
    Door Toggle - 0 Does nothing, 1 toggles the door.

All coding for these is based on work by CFSworks. If you don't have wiremod installed these won't cause any problems.

--
    The News Room

It's a room with a news-studio background. It has two buttons, one starts a broadcast and the other one ends it. The news will show up on any RT screen.

The news will aways show up properly on the TVs I made, but if you use some other RT surface, like the PHX TV model, chances are, you won't be able to see props and such. This is due to visleafs, to fix it, I made small boxes (I call them receptors) you can move around, just put one near the TV and it will display everything.

Any user-made RT cameras will automatically override the built-in news cameras.

Alternate Downloads
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?zelevrz2imw
    http://www.filefront.com/14221511/gm_excess_waters.zip

If you have any comments or suggestions I would definitely like to hear them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Artistic x 18Friendly x 2Useful x 1Optimistic x 1Mapping King x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    May 2009
    854 Posts
    looks great

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    2,920 Posts
    This map looks pretty cool.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    20,798 Posts
    Awesome, I like the style!

5. Post #5
    April 2008
    33 Posts
    love the style of your maps, going to try this map when it finishes downloading , also i wonder how many secrets will be in this map this time

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,577 Posts
    dees ees super aweseom

No joke
    Love the wire input thing
    nice arcitecture, good lighting.
    And this is only your fifteenth post.
       unless you are an alt   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    1,995 Posts
    Looks beautiful. The wire inputs are a phenomenal feature as well.

8. Post #8
    June 2008
    4,644 Posts
    That water...
    its BEAUTIFUL

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,915 Posts
    The water looks like gatorade... although everything else is good.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    20,798 Posts
    Because its a new type of water. Awesome-water. It is only spotted in maps that are overly-awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    7,533 Posts
    Looks great, cool wire-thingy going on there.

12. Post #12
    December 2005
    35 Posts
    dees ees super aweseom

No joke
    Love the wire input thing
    nice arcitecture, good lighting.
    And this is only your fifteenth post.
       unless you are an alt   
    I'm an expert lurker, 4 years and 15 posts.

It IS unnaturally blue, but I still think it looks great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    May 2009
    315 Posts
    Wow. Its been a bit since we had a good construct type map.

14. Post #14
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Sweet map dude. As you can expect that is high praise as i hardly ever see a map i can't find fault with.

15. Post #15
    December 2008
    385 Posts
    Very nice map you made there!

The arcitecture is great!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,577 Posts
    So how DO you make those wire inputs?

17. Post #17
    December 2005
    35 Posts
    So how DO you make those wire inputs?
    A lua entity is run on map spawn. The entity is set to add inputs to specific props.

Here's where I first saw the idea:
    http://www.wiremod.com/forum/72210-post1.html

I based my system off of that.

18. Post #18
    January 2009
    340 Posts
    I cannot find any of these wire inputs, is it an error or am I just an idiot?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    6,627 Posts
    Awesome idea, and well executed, nice map.

20. Post #20
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    Does it still cause vertex buffer errors and is completely unoptomised, or have you fixed that?

It's a bit blocky, you should use more solids other than squares and triangles.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    2,077 Posts
    Does it still cause vertex buffer errors and is completely unoptomised, or have you fixed that?

Agree'd

Your map is a bit cluttered also.

22. Post #22
    I survived Camp FP 2010
    September 2005
    4,952 Posts
    It looks good, far better than I expected when i saw the title, congratulations.

23. Post #23
    Dance like it hurts, Love like you need money, Work when people are watching. ~Scott Adams
    December 2008
    719 Posts
    I love the style of your maps, and this is no exception. Awesome work!

24. Post #24
    December 2005
    35 Posts
    There was more optimization done compared to my other maps, but I'm sure it's still not perfect. As for vertex buffer errors, I've never experienced any so I'd need some more info to help you. I ran through the map with a laptop from 2005 for testing, it worked fine.

I'll keep that in mind.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member

February 2009
    2,339 Posts
    Any servers up with this map? j/w

26. Post #26
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    Well, try going into the sky, really high so you can see the most cluttered area, and check your console after moving your mouse around a bit, if you don't get any errors, good. If you do, however, then I'm afraid you still need to optomise alot more.

27. Post #27
    July 2009
    407 Posts
    Dictionary.com, search 'win', redirected here =D yea cheesy but hey, great map. I always felt that excess_construct was under-rated and never got the attention it deserved, but this map probably will.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Dance like it hurts, Love like you need money, Work when people are watching. ~Scott Adams
    December 2008
    719 Posts
    There was more optimization done compared to my other maps, but I'm sure it's still not perfect. As for vertex buffer errors, I've never experienced any so I'd need some more info to help you. I ran through the map with a laptop from 2005 for testing, it worked fine.
    I play on a laptop from 2003, and it's alright with me xD

29. Post #29
    October 2007
    82 Posts
    Love the map, it's loverly and clean but I have one major gripe with it.

Why no ramps into the water? I wanted to make an amphibious car but there's no ramps.

Still, gives an excuse to make a paddle steamer. Good job.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    July 2009
    407 Posts
    I play on a laptop from 2003, and it's alright with me xD
    Yea, but the year isnt so much a factor in performance as what you have in it. A 2006 vaio or alienware would probably blow away a 2008 gateway

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    1,616 Posts
    Love the map, it's loverly and clean but I have one major gripe with it.

Why no ramps into the water? I wanted to make an amphibious car but there's no ramps.

Still, gives an excuse to make a paddle steamer. Good job.
    Make your own ramps, it is not hard.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,734 Posts
    ...oh boy another construct map with water...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,351 Posts
    Yea, but the year isnt so much a factor in performance as what you have in it. A 2006 vaio or alienware would probably blow away a 2008 gateway
    Not in the Alienwares' case, the gateway would most likely kick it's ass as Alienware is overrated shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    July 2009
    407 Posts
    Not in the Alienwares' case, the gateway would most likely kick it's ass as Alienware is overrated shit.
    Ive only heard things about Alienware, Ive never actually tried it =b

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,171 Posts
    No video of this map yet? Screenshots can only show so much.
    :Dawkins102:

36. Post #36
    July 2005
    89 Posts
    << Is waiting for ANYONE to come up with ORIGINAL maps for construction, not just stupid remixes of garry's terrible map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

37. Post #37
    October 2008
    3,543 Posts
    No video of this map yet? Screenshots can only show so much.
    :Dawkins102:
    download it

38. Post #38
    July 2008
    1,327 Posts
    Wow this is actually good.

I expected DURR EVEN MOAR CONSTARCUS MAPAS XD

Checking it out in a few.

39. Post #39
    December 2005
    35 Posts
    Well, try going into the sky, really high so you can see the most cluttered area, and check your console after moving your mouse around a bit, if you don't get any errors, good. If you do, however, then I'm afraid you still need to optomise alot more.
    Found errors only when I went past the skybox into the void. Whenever you leave map bounds everything is drawn at once right? (exception of entities) How can I possibly optimize that?

...oh boy another construct map with water...
    I've seen your maps Foda, I think they're great and I admire your work. That said, I play Garry's Mod to build things. I make maps to serve a purpose. The result: a map good for building things.

<< Is waiting for ANYONE to come up with ORIGINAL maps for construction, not just stupid remixes of garry's terrible map.
    The only similarity I can find is how a few parts are textured the same way. The overall design/layout seems a good deal different to me.

40. Post #40
    July 2008
    121 Posts
    Very very sweet map,but for maybe a V2 could we have like working locks for the water? or gated water ways with the same wire control box on the other doors that are their?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)