1. Post #201
    October 2009
    1,847 Posts
    With these complaints about stupid keybinds, I'm wondering... Can't you just remap your controls to whatever you want, like every other MMO (including other Cryptic releases)?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

2. Post #202
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    523 Posts
    Yes, you can.

However the keybinds aren't really the issue. It really comes down to having to do far too much at once. After moving your ship and firing your weapons, you have very limited time in which to do anything else.. yet they expect shields, abilities and power balance. You could do less, but you'd lose more fights.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #203
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    3,683 Posts
    Good lord. I'm not going to quote that long post but that's fucking retarded. I knew cryptic would fuck up again. They should just stop it.

I don't know if Cryptic made it but does anyone remember Auto Assault? That game was one of their only good games.

I so wanted to preorder this too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #204
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    7,857 Posts
    I have no idea why you guys are having problems with the controls. They're easy to use and very enjoyable. You click on a ship (made buggy in the last patch, will be fixed next patch probably) or use TAB to switch between enemies infront of you. The box around them lights up so you can see which one you're targeting and your camera swings around to point directly at your target.

Then you've got to manoeuvre your ship to take advantage of the firing arcs. You can change your equipment to suit your game style - cannons and banks for dogfighting with tight arcs. Arrays for wide arcs and fighting like in naval battles - your arcs are wide enough so that if you're side on to an enemy you can fire with both your fore and aft arrays.

You can throttle up or down to change your speed - lower speed means a tighter turn rate. I use the keyboard to do this - Q and E.

While in the fight you can redirect your shield power between fore, left, right and aft. You use that to your advantage and make your strongest shield face where the enemy is shooting from. This is very easy to do and all you have to do is click on one of the shields.

Power balance doesn't really come into much use for me during a fight unless I think I'm going to lose. Then I'll either put power towards shields or speed depending on how badly I'm doing. Even this isn't hard - it takes one click. You're not dragging sliders or whatever around. Once you retreat 10km away from an enemy, they can't hit you and you can wait for your shields and hull to fix theirselves.

Combat isn't so hectic that you're unable to use your UI. I personally use my keyboard to fire phasers and have torpedoes on auto-fire. I click on stuff in my UI when appropriate - for example officer skills such as the torpedo boost power and the shield recharge power. These have about a minute cooldown so you've got to pick when the best time is to use them.

You really can't compare EVE to STO. One requires skill whereas the other doesn't.

Edited:

Good lord. I'm not going to quote that long post but that's fucking retarded. I knew cryptic would fuck up again. They should just stop it.

I don't know if Cryptic made it but does anyone remember Auto Assault? That game was one of their only good games.

I so wanted to preorder this too.
    You're going to take the opinion of one guy and base your judgement on that? That's a very stupid thing to do, at least play it for yourself.

Auto Assault was made by NetDevil and published by PlayNC. It was a terrible game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 1Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

5. Post #205
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,392 Posts
    So how is the ground fighting? Can you board enemy ships and fight inside them?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

6. Post #206
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    3,683 Posts
    I have no idea why you guys are having problems with the controls. They're easy to use and very enjoyable. You click on a ship (made buggy in the last patch, will be fixed next patch probably) or use TAB to switch between enemies infront of you. The box around them lights up so you can see which one you're targeting and your camera swings around to point directly at your target.

Then you've got to manoeuvre your ship to take advantage of the firing arcs. You can change your equipment to suit your game style - cannons and banks for dogfighting with tight arcs. Arrays for wide arcs and fighting like in naval battles - your arcs are wide enough so that if you're side on to an enemy you can fire with both your fore and aft arrays.

You can throttle up or down to change your speed - lower speed means a tighter turn rate. I use the keyboard to do this - Q and E.

While in the fight you can redirect your shield power between fore, left, right and aft. You use that to your advantage and make your strongest shield face where the enemy is shooting from. This is very easy to do and all you have to do is click on one of the shields.

Power balance doesn't really come into much use for me during a fight unless I think I'm going to lose. Then I'll either put power towards shields or speed depending on how badly I'm doing. Even this isn't hard - it takes one click. You're not dragging sliders or whatever around. Once you retreat 10km away from an enemy, they can't hit you and you can wait for your shields and hull to fix theirselves.

Combat isn't so hectic that you're unable to use your UI. I personally use my keyboard to fire phasers and have torpedoes on auto-fire. I click on stuff in my UI when appropriate - for example officer skills such as the torpedo boost power and the shield recharge power. These have about a minute cooldown so you've got to pick when the best time is to use them.

You really can't compare EVE to STO. One requires skill whereas the other doesn't.

Edited:

You're going to take the opinion of one guy and base your judgement on that? That's a very stupid thing to do, at least play it for yourself.

Auto Assault was made by NetDevil and published by PlayNC. It was a terrible game.
    It was a great game!

Fine. You win. You make better sense too.

What is the armor like? How does that work?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #207
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    523 Posts
    Oh don't take your game opinion completely from me, or any post really. Obviously Hezzy and I are having different experiences and the game is still in beta. I actually like the game, something makes me keep playing. I just feel that every little thing just isn't quite good enough for it to be a really good game and it's hampering what could be a great game. It's tainting the experience.

I'm amazed we are having quite different experiences, Hezzy. Everyone I spoke to in-game (Not very many, I admit) said they were having similar issues.

I don't know if it's part of the bug, but the boxes around enemies never change for me. My camera also doesn't turn and face them. Could be because I'm using the double-mouse buttons to move, but then I find moving with WASD when you are not directly behind your ship difficult.

Selecting a shield doesn't seem to stay on that shield. It'll work for a little while, then it will start going down quickly again. Click it a second time and it's fine again. I have to keep doing it during the fight.

The combat could be much better if the game allowed you to delegate out a little. Let the computer handle shields or something. I find it asks you to concentrate on a little too much for you to be effective in large fights.

As for ground combat. I can see it getting old. I've done about 10 now and they have all been just 10 minutes spent clearing rooms and activating things in the rooms. Maybe there is more variety later tho, haven't seen ship boarding. You do go to other ships, but so far it's been allied ships to help them. Beaming onto ships in PvP would be cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

8. Post #208
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    11,053 Posts
    So how is the ground fighting? Can you board enemy ships and fight inside them?
    You can board enemy ships but not in a way you think. You deploy shuttles and those shuttles try to get to the enemy ship without getting destroyed so they can get in. Then they start to take over and disable systems. There are more like rescue scenarios where you go on and have to fight quite a few baddies to finish. Ground combat recently got changed and didn't get to try it out yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #209
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,521 Posts
    -snip-

Bought it anyways.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #210
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    11,053 Posts
    Attention: Last Closed Beta test is tomorrow. Clients get uploaded to websites this weekend also and the OB should start on time.

11. Post #211
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,392 Posts
    Attention: Last Closed Beta test is tomorrow. Clients get uploaded to websites this weekend also and the OB should start on time.
    The Open Beta is starting January 12th right?

12. Post #212
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    11,053 Posts
    The Open Beta is starting January 12th right?
    Yea

13. Post #213
    March 2006
    495 Posts
    this looks horrible, like some kind of terrible mix between EvE and WoW
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #214
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    1,308 Posts
    Pranced on over to gamestop and picked up my beta key today, 7% downloading ;-;

15. Post #215
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,521 Posts
    this looks horrible, like some kind of terrible mix between EvE and WoW
    I am in agreeance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #216
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,521 Posts
    Impulse buy:

Automerge broke.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

17. Post #217
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    11.50 for shipping jesus
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #218
    March 2006
    495 Posts
    Impulse buy:

Automerge broke.
    enjoy your overpriced version of a game that you will be bored of in a month
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #219
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    8,414 Posts
    My buddy bought all the pre order offers and it cost him £230...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

20. Post #220
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    11,053 Posts
    Ask him if I can have a key

21. Post #221
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    3,683 Posts
    Damn son I'll take one of those keys and be in debt to him via online backup.

22. Post #222
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,484 Posts
    There is a god.
    Curse got 10,000 keys for the premium members.
    I'm a premium member.
    Downloading, the torrent is fucking slow and HTTP is probably going to crash overnight.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

23. Post #223
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    5,716 Posts
    There is a god.
    Curse got 10,000 keys for the premium members.
    I'm a premium member.
    Downloading, the torrent is fucking slow and HTTP is probably going to crash overnight.
    maybe by the time you've downloaded it's stable. server died once more.

24. Post #224
    Neigh
    June 2007
    28,548 Posts
    Played it for 40 mins or so before I went out earlier.

Fucking. Awesome.

25. Post #225
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    7,561 Posts
    Its really fun, I like it.

A bit laggy though.

26. Post #226
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    8,414 Posts
    Its really fun, I like it.

A bit laggy though.
    Land combat makes me rage...

27. Post #227
    October 2009
    1,395 Posts
    Still waiting for a site to hand out invites :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events

28. Post #228
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,484 Posts
    maybe by the time you've downloaded it's stable. server died once more.
    I added a cockload of trackers and I'm getting 150kb/s peaks now.. 18 hours to completion.
    Also, desperate poor people, the Curse thing has only one key per membership, do not send me beg-PM's, I cannot give what I don't have. + buy your own membership.
    I read it wrong, it didn't say 73% keys are gone, it said 73% keys are left, so if you get your bottocks on the move and get Curse Premium, you can get a key.
    After you get Curse Premium, get key from here:
    http://www.curse.com/keys/sto/default.aspx

Meh, if the swarm speed stays the same, the download should be done for when I get out of school.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

29. Post #229
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,257 Posts
    Anyone gonna buy lifetime besides me?

30. Post #230
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    11,053 Posts
    Anyone gonna buy lifetime besides me?
    That is too much even for me.

Edited:

They obviously know this is going to be big and they also know the main core that is still there will buy it at any price they set.

31. Post #231
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    3,683 Posts

Oh this battle? Nothing big. Just like 200 ships.

Edited:

All the ships are behind me by the way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #232
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,484 Posts
    Holy shit, I like Cryptic's compression. 177mb patch but it's compressed to like 50mb.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #233
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,625 Posts
    Anyone want a beta code?
    SPUK3-DQBB9-BC6LE-XXJUC-YDCNC

You can pretty much get as many as you want if you cancel/re-order Star Trek Online on Play.com.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

34. Post #234
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    12,037 Posts
    Anyone want a beta code?

You can pretty much get as many as you want if you cancel/re-order Star Trek Online on Play.com.
    Can you PM me one, together with the download link? :3:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

35. Post #235
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,392 Posts
    Anyone want a beta code?

FUCK YES! I <3 u.

36. Post #236
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    1,308 Posts
    Unlocked Klingons at about 1am last night, been cruisin in my BOP with my homies from http://www.bloodofkahless.com
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #237
    Neigh
    June 2007
    28,548 Posts
    I didn't realise fucking about with your ship parts costs money so I wasted it all and now I can't afford weapons :(

Still got no idea how the currency works or how you earn it.

Edit: Nevermind, worked out how to sell stuff
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

38. Post #238
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    8,414 Posts
    Sto keys!

http://gamers.eurogamer.net/giveaways.php?id=86998

Just register and it gives you one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

39. Post #239
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,289 Posts
    Sto keys!

http://gamers.eurogamer.net/giveaways.php?id=86998

Just register and it gives you one.

Got mine. :smug:

40. Post #240
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,484 Posts
    A random NPC just called me a chick, what the fuck? My guy doesn't look anything like a chick.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)