1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    654 Posts
    Hi there, i'm making a map for HL2 DM. but i'm stuck with ideas... so i come here to ask what do you thing i can do in this map...

I have to finish so i can move to new projects...

Here some screenshots of what i have until now...

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Argentina Show Events Artistic Artistic x 25Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 4Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,577 Posts
    moving clouds :O
    how was dat done?
    also, how'd you make that puddle? i liek.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    BJK
    December 2008
    1,758 Posts
    :golfclap:

Looks fine as it is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

4. Post #4
    August 2008
    173 Posts
    That looks pretty damn good! You've got some fine texture making skills as well!

And would you teach us how to make those sexeh, wet reflective textures?

5. Post #5
    December 2008
    385 Posts
    An other map to look forward to!

This is fucking amazing!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    654 Posts
    moving clouds :O
    how was dat done?
    also, how'd you make that puddle? i liek.
    Clouds:

half sphere inside textured with some scrolling texture of clouds, put in the skybox and done. also it can be made in brush. HL2 aready have scrolling cloud textures.

The Puddle I tried to do it like a decal, but is buggy it dont find the correct env_cubemap, so the best is use a model.

And then a texture of only what u want to reflex. here the one i use:
    Code:
    "UnlitGeneric"
    {
    	"$model" "1"
    	"$envmap" "env_cubemap"
    	"$envmapmask" "decals/decalborealispuddlemask001a"
    	"$envmaptint" "[ 0.50 0.50 0.50 ]"
    }
    Sorry for my english it's not my first language... ^^
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Argentina Show Events Useful Useful x 4Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,615 Posts
    The way you did the puddle is the same as how they did it in l4d
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    July 2009
    604 Posts
    nice!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Dennab
    February 2009
    249 Posts
    Did you get the Skydome idea from Unreal Tournament?

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,949 Posts
    Really nice map, I quite like it. Interiors could use some more detailing though.

11. Post #11
    May 2009
    854 Posts
    looks awesome

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    654 Posts
    Really nice map, I quite like it. Interiors could use some more detailing though.
    Yes that's what i need interiors Ideas, for 2 places:

First of all i need something to put inside the Combine Depot...

And then also the emptyness of the abandoned Factory... im maybe doing something like the generator area in L4D's No Mercy...

Also if u want more screenshots and info abount this map you can take a look of mi Blog http://inakistuff.blogspot.com/ it's in Spanish sorry, but google exists. ^^

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    180 Posts
    Looks great, how large is the map. When I see this I think a kind of aftermath roleplay. So if its large enough it would be great certainly with a dark mysterious creepy atmosphere.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,436 Posts
    Seems to be coming along pretty well, the lighting and fog go together the great, it creates a certain atmosphere. All I can say is that it needs more detail in certain areas now.

15. Post #15
    Ask me about my 'female train' fetish.
    Dennab
    January 2006
    5,457 Posts
    Razor train loading depot. Which is what the depot is as well as a prisoner holding facility and airwatch outpost.

16. Post #16
    May 2009
    66 Posts
    Perhaps you could set up some combine mini-barricades and/or turrets for cover and decoration.
    Also, If I begged, is there anyway you could put some info nodes on the map? I'm aware its a dm map, which has no use for them, But I usually use maps in gmod, and npc nodes make a huge difference.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    4,644 Posts
    Oh god, that is awesome. If you haven't already, do include a soundscape for that rain.

Add some fences here and there. Maybe you could add some water to that canal. I think it'd look great, especially if the water level was just over that chunk of land jutting through the bars.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    654 Posts
    Looks great, how large is the map. When I see this I think a kind of aftermath roleplay. So if its large enough it would be great certainly with a dark mysterious creepy atmosphere.
    It's quite small, not too big.

Seems to be coming along pretty well, the lighting and fog go together the great, it creates a certain atmosphere. All I can say is that it needs more detail in certain areas now.
    What areas?, be more specific, so i can do better.

Razor train loading depot. Which is what the depot is as well as a prisoner holding facility and airwatch outpost.
    I thing about that, but there are already a map with a Depot train station... and in mine it's the canal thing... i don't see a train crossing it.

Perhaps you could set up some combine mini-barricades and/or turrets for cover and decoration.
    Also, If I begged, is there anyway you could put some info nodes on the map? I'm aware its a dm map, which has no use for them, But I usually use maps in gmod, and npc nodes make a huge difference.
    If u see some nice combinething, screenshot and show it to me, i need ideas... ^^
    And if someone else ask for AI Nodes i will do it...

Oh god, that is awesome. If you haven't already, do include a soundscape for that rain.

Add some fences here and there. Maybe you could add some water to that canal. I think it'd look great, especially if the water level was just over that chunk of land jutting through the bars.
    I already have sounds for the outdoors rain. but i need some cool indoors rain sound... if u now were i can find that, please tell me.
    Abount the water, it will be in the canal. but it's optional, it can be raice up with a button in the secret room ¬¬.

Again i apologise for my english...

19. Post #19
    May 2009
    66 Posts
    If u see some nice combinething, screenshot and show it to me, i need ideas... ^^
    And if someone else ask for AI Nodes i will do it...
    Essentially, this:

http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=54758
    There's a hammer prefab of the combine mounted turret. The barricades are just the turret-less versions of those.
    Either/both would be a nice addition, showing that the map is a combat zone. Plus, you know, mounted guns...

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    654 Posts
    i'm sorry but in HL2DM the mounted guns are messed up. just dont work, the only ones who work are the func_tanklaser, func_tankrocket. the others are buggy :/
    The barricades i already use, not in the depot, just i thing it is like an storage area, not a compat area, but in the outdoors i put a few...

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    5,973 Posts
    For the depot, hmm.... Maybe make it a sort of "Base of operations" for that canal area. Logically, the Combine would want to look over the canals too, and for that, such base would be useful.

However, about what exactly to put inside the building to give it the "base of operations" feeling, uhh, let it be your decision. :B
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Hungary Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Everyone has a $1 title
    November 2008
    7,049 Posts
    puddle is :golfclap:

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    654 Posts
    Clipping....

24. Post #24
    January 2009
    341 Posts
    i'm sorry but in HL2DM the mounted guns are messed up. just dont work, the only ones who work are the func_tanklaser, func_tankrocket. the others are buggy :/
    Func_tank works perfect in hl2dm, you just need to add key bullet with value of 1 w/o smartedit. Pm me if that will not work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    654 Posts
    Func_tank works perfect in hl2dm, you just need to add key bullet with value of 1 w/o smartedit. Pm me if that will not work.
    I already try that, but i will try it again.

It don't work :(...
    sdk_test_room4.vmf

26. Post #26
    August 2009
    123 Posts
    To me, it looks great as is, where is. Props for you :D

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    654 Posts
    Make it bigger !!! say mi friend. so im expanding the horizont...(the first reazon for use fog)

Also i been doing some Graffiti stuff toked from real photos, most of they from my country, but if u have seen some cool graffity post it here an i will see what do with it.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Argentina Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,594 Posts
    Wall looks too sharp in contrast to the spray paint.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Romania Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    3,953 Posts
    Wall looks perfect to me. I'm hoping to see some new screenshots!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    654 Posts
    Screenshot? sure, here goes this:

When i do some progress with this i will post more info... ¬¬

Also if you have modeler skills or just good ideas take a look this thread:
    http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=809142

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    476 Posts
    Wow, very nice map! I love the atmosphere you gave it and the Combine architecture in some of those pictures are amazing, looks alot like the Combine concept work valve's artists drew out. This is probably one of the best looking custom maps for HL2 DM that I've seen, hope the gameplay of the level is just as good as it's looks!

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    654 Posts
    That's exactly my fear... from the scratch I thought this map to be a detail challange to me, but i never thing too much in the gameplay. First of all, this map is based in the idea from other DM map, 2PLAY i took from him the basic premise, 2 bases 2 briges 1 canal 1 ramp. and from that the rest come...

but i will need to make a betatesting of gameplay... mostly because in older computers it look to drown in FPS...

Here a little map of the areas playables until now...

33. Post #33
    September 2009
    125 Posts
    if all else fails... RP or zombie survival.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    2,555 Posts
    Get out.

I would recommend getting something playable down, and just playing it a lot with friends and tweaking it until you get the gameplay right.

35. Post #35
    September 2009
    125 Posts
    i dont wana get out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    654 Posts
    more modelling stuff wasting time...

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,577 Posts
    Cool, what is it?

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,826 Posts
    more modelling stuff wasting time...
    someone should make an entity similar to the roller mine, except it flies, using a similar model.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    654 Posts
    I quote my self:

... i create(or copy ideas from sakarias) some device things to use with the gravity gun(in this map), so i have how they work, now they need to have a badass model. a couple of they will bee fine, here a list of what i have until now...

A sticky bomb that glue to you and passed a time it explotes evaporate u and drag physics to it.
    A ... sphere that creates a perimeter that slows all the physics and players and then makes a shockwave that mess up all.
    A ball that chases u with lasers(pretty much like rollermines)

And....
    Still to do:
    Something like a shield that protects u from grenades &/or physics.
    A smoke grenade or some shit like that...
    Jarate thing...

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    654 Posts
    Started modeling other of the devices...