1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    791 Posts
    IMPORTANT SENTENCE: YES, THERE WILL BE A VOICE.

I've been working on a female Medic for some time now. It's related to my master's project, for which I'll be creating a female Medic and Heavy, from concept to something playable. I picked these two because they represent a pretty good contrast in personality and body type.

My tools are 3ds Max, Photoshop and Mudbox.

Here's the concept sketches I drew in order to decide which characters would work best for my project, and what kinds of features they might have.

http://chemicalalia.deviantart.com/a...-v-2-125637664

My semi-final design for her:

http://chemicalalia.deviantart.com/a...-v-2-125637664

I'm going for more of a harsh, stern aesthetic than something outright feminine or sexy. Sort of like Magda Goebbels in Der Untergang.

Orthos:

Early progress:

And this is my progress so far. Right now I'm texturing, and I'm getting there with the diffuse and normal maps, but I have a lot of detail to go.

I'm also working on a version with pants, depending on how it goes with rigging the skirt V:

Also, don't ask me about the female spy. It was good modeling practice and I learned a lot from it, but after giving a lot of thought to these designs, that's probably one of the last classes I would want to make. The feedback on her is the most varied and contradicted, and that raises a lot of issues about her personality, fitting with the TF2 visual style and time period, and practicality in terms of modeling/rigging. :C

The only thing I have left to add is:

lol genderbend

Hope you like it. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Based on some of the feedback I've gotten so far, I've made some changes to the model. I'll leave the originals up for comparison right now, but I made her eyes a tiny bit bigger and decreased the slant.

I also made her chin a bit smaller, and her neck also less wide.

Increased the height of her lips to make them appear a little bigger.

Her hands are still the same height, but I decreased the width a little more. I'll see if I can get away with more eventually.

And I modeled her legs more thoroughly to give them more definition.

Edit 2: More changes

-I narrowed her shoulders, made them less pointy
    -filled in her chest from the side view to make them appear less saggy, more round, and lifted them a little
    -decreased the width of her upper chest from the front view
    -made the bottom of the waist a little smaller so that her hips look wider at the top

Lowered the hair line on the left side and moved it forward to give her a smaller forehead.

Added more butt definition:

Adjusted base colors

Comparison with the male Medic:

Nearly finished:

High poly model in Zbrush. I ditched Mudbox for it, since it actually lets you tesselate your objects and doesn't make my computer crash when I subdivide D:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I went back and crazied her face up a little more, to make her features more distinctive.

before/after comparison:

My most current version in the model viewer. Still needs more detailed and neater normal maps.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Artistic x 431Funny x 13Optimistic x 12Dumb x 4Friendly x 3Informative x 2Bad Spelling x 2Agree x 2Bad Reading x 1Zing x 1Winner x 1Useful x 1Late x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,640 Posts
    Fugly piece of shit. Needs to more boner-inducing.

Edited:

Pleeeaaaase
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb x 437Agree x 41Disagree x 20Funny x 18Optimistic x 2Late x 1Friendly x 1Artistic x 1Useful x 1Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    1,473 Posts
    Holy shit. First off, fucking awesome sketches! Secondly, you have serious modelling skills. Goddamn.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 93Friendly Friendly x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,706 Posts

Edited:

Pleeeaaaase
    No.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 103Disagree Disagree x 7Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    June 2009
    1,600 Posts
    Great work, are you going to add a soundpack too?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 15Bad Reading Bad Reading x 7Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    January 2009
    1,049 Posts
    That's some pretty impressive sketches, and the model looks really good.

Great work there.

I can't really think of anything to add, it fits perfectly into the TF2 style.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    1,455 Posts
    she looks...slightly wide...
    but great model!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    May 2008
    305 Posts
    It looks great. It fits into TF2's style. I look forward to it. Just one question, you are going to try and get a soundpack yes?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    August 2009
    321 Posts
    Looks great, and isn't one of those anime models.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 44Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,231 Posts
    Voicepack?

NINJA >>
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

11. Post #11
    July 2009
    921 Posts
    Spot on for the style. Also looks like a good symmetry of the male medic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

12. Post #12
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,214 Posts
    That's amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    791 Posts
    she looks...slightly wide...
    but great model!
    Unfortunately, she has to fit the general proportions of the original character so that I don't run into problems with the animations. I'm sure I'll be able to make some adjustments once I see how it goes, though. :>

And yeah, I'll be releasing sounds. I guess there's a sound booth here at the school. I speak German and all, but hopefully I'll be able to get a volunteer for the voice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    2,502 Posts

Edited:

Pleeeaaaase
    Ignore this man. This is an excellent model, and fits perfectly into the art style. I look forward to the finished product.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 19 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    1,841 Posts
    Holy fucking shit that's amazing, I wouldn't mind getting ubercharged by her. :q:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Dumb x 12Funny x 6Optimistic x 2Agree x 2Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,725 Posts
    Wow, the first attempt at female TF2 characters I actually like! :biggrin:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 23Late Late x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    6,235 Posts
    Facepunch, you surprise me. I thought we'd get a lot of posts like the first one, or like you'd see in Ayes' thread.

Alia, nice job, but... I feel it's lacking something. I don't know what, so I can't say what, but it just feels like it's lacking something. Maybe you'll get it with texturing and all as this progresses. All I guess I can say is it feels like it's missing that "Valve touch". Wish I could be more constructive, but, alas, I can't. :frown:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    6,966 Posts
    Bigger tits or no deal, they are way too small.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Estonia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 36Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 3Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,584 Posts
    Those are some manly hands.

I guess they get the job done eh? :smug:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,642 Posts
    Everything but the gloves look great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,113 Posts
    Facepunch, you surprise me. I thought we'd get a lot of posts like the first one, or like you'd see in Ayes' thread.

Alia, nice job, but... I feel it's lacking something. I don't know what, so I can't say what, but it just feels like it's lacking something. Maybe you'll get it with texturing and all as this progresses. All I guess I can say is it feels like it's missing that "Valve touch". Wish I could be more constructive, but, alas, I can't. :frown:
    Yeah I feel the same thing, it's weird. Something's not right with it.

22. Post #22
    October 2007
    1,170 Posts
    Well fuck, it's a non anime, actually good genderbend!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mexico Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

23. Post #23
    100% Homemade
    September 2007
    8,328 Posts
    Shit is perfect. Fix up the hands a little

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    791 Posts
    Those are some manly hands.

I guess they get the job done eh? :smug:
    Haha, yes. The sad thing is, they're QUITE A DEAL smaller than the original character's hands D: It's not hard to make them smaller, I just need to be sure that they will work before I make any more changes.

Alia, nice job, but... I feel it's lacking something. I don't know what, so I can't say what, but it just feels like it's lacking something. Maybe you'll get it with texturing and all as this progresses. All I guess I can say is it feels like it's missing that "Valve touch". Wish I could be more constructive, but, alas, I can't.
    No problem, I appreciate it. All I can think is that it's still very flat with the coloring still, and normal maps do help a lot with detail as well since it's fairly low-poly. I think that will help make a difference.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    1,263 Posts
    Looks good!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    6,235 Posts
    No problem, I appreciate it. All I can think is that it's still very flat with the coloring still, and normal maps do help a lot with detail as well since it's fairly low-poly. I think that will help make a difference.
    Well, best of luck.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    13,888 Posts
    I think the textures kinda lack definition. All the TF2 characters have very sharply defined angles and outlines, but this looks a bit.. I dunno, just seems off. But as you said, it still needs work. I can't wait to see what it looks like in game :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,794 Posts
    I'm liking it so far. Not entirely sure why a good deal of female Medic designs opt for that hairstyle, though. Yeah, it fits the time of TF2, but it's also unusually tidy for someone who's average workday alternates between hiding behind a fat russian guy and running from loonies with flamethrowers.

I also can't help but imagine anyone with that haircut calling me "Dearie" and sending me a pair of hand-knitted mittens every christmas, but that may just be a personal problem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

29. Post #29
    wow ok
    December 2007
    16,419 Posts
    Looks great.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    4,662 Posts
    Well Helllooo~ Nurse!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    1,263 Posts
    I think she needs more... boobs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Disagree Disagree x 20Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    June 2009
    2,020 Posts
    Is there a sound pack planned?

That with male medic sounds :ohdear:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Late Late x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    1,558 Posts
    How are hats gonna work on this model?

34. Post #34
    Meet the Pyro
    April 2006
    4,474 Posts
    Make her the nurse from Silent Hill

Anyways your model looks wicked sic
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,575 Posts
    Jesus Christ. That's absolutely amazing, keep up the brilliant work.
    may i ask what software that is you are using?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

36. Post #36
    September 2008
    157 Posts
    Maybe someone could get their aunt to voice act
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 14 (list)

37. Post #37
    Dennab
    July 2009
    1,055 Posts
    Amazing work! Please, Please tell me your going to make more models!

(a mix of spy 2, and 3, spy 2 with spy 's hair colour and glasses, but spy 2's costume , and Sniper 2)

Also, keep the skirt.

38. Post #38
    February 2009
    3,696 Posts
    Her face looks very manly, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    13,231 Posts
    Artistic, however she still looks a little too much like a man in drag.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Agree Agree x 3 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,575 Posts
    I would recomend moving the hair down a bit, she looks a bit bald in the top left corner of her head.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)