1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,477 Posts
    I'm sure somebody's bound to have thought of this before... In fact, I'm sure I've read of somebody else suggesting this in the past... I just want to know if it's possible, or better yet, if it's been brought to fruition.

So many parts of HL2 would be more fun playing as a TF2 character... Imagine going through Nova Prospekt as an engineer, or Ravenholm as a pyro, or Follow Freeman as a soldier. I bet each class would be a unique experience for the game, but I guess that trying to splice these two games together would require tons upon tons of balancing and tweaking of the weapons and all. Having working sentries, teleporters, spy knife/cloak and pyro fire...

It's a fun idea, but I guess it's probably no more than that, eh?

Oh god, something just hit me: Now imagine playing with the Synergy mod and your friend(s) picked different classes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb x 11Agree x 6Late x 1Artistic x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    August 2009
    2,845 Posts
    Somebodies already doing it.

there's a video floating around here somewhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    4,381 Posts
    TF2 on Xbox 360.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 16Funny Funny x 4Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    21,444 Posts
    Defending in Nova Prospekt with Engineer would be awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 12Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    August 2008
    55 Posts
    http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=755095

It's not a mod but it's still pretty awesome
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Estonia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    December 2008
    1,103 Posts
    I actually tried importing HL2 maps into TF2. It didn't work for a couple of reasons.

1. TF2 characters are significantly larger than Gordon Freeman. This leads to a lot of problems with doorways.

2. Crossing over an info_node, which determines NPC behavior, crashes the game.

3. In fact, NPCs don't exist in TF2. There's no way to put in a real, live Combine, Rebel, or what have you without having the HL2 source code.

Fortunately, as has been stated above, _Kilburn is using some Lua magic to make it work in GMod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,443 Posts
    It won't work. The Heavy will never fit in those little vents.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Late Late x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,842 Posts
    It won't work. The Heavy will never fit in those little vents.
    Neither will the Scout, Spy, and Engineer. Everyone in TF2 is huge.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Malaysia Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    13,888 Posts
    You can *sort* of do this with Gmod and the TF2 weapon pack. Only problem is, you don't get the classes special abilities (double jump etc.).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    745 Posts
    2. Crossing over an info_node, which determines NPC behavior, crashes the game.

3. In fact, NPCs don't exist in TF2. There's no way to put in a real, live Combine, Rebel, or what have you without having the HL2 source code.
    Actually there's some basic AI included in TF2, and nodes work fine too.
    I made a houndeye NPC for TF2 some time ago in hammer, and it works perfectly fine:

Of course, something advanced like a combine soldier or a rebel is not possible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Informative Informative x 4 (list)

11. Post #11
    December 2008
    1,103 Posts
    Actually there's some basic AI included in TF2, and nodes work fine too.
    I made a houndeye NPC for TF2 some time ago in hammer, and it works perfectly fine:

Of course, something advanced like a combine soldier or a rebel is not possible.
    Okay, then.

I'm not sure about the nodes. All I know is that I crashed when walking over a spot that was marked with an info_node in Hammer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

12. Post #12
    September 2007
    718 Posts
    Son, everythings possible... Everything...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    7,588 Posts
    It would be easier to make TF2 in Gmod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,133 Posts
    Son, everythings possible... Everything...
    Not everything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    3,227 Posts
    screw that, i want someone to make a mod that allows you to play the tfc classes in HL1.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    11,549 Posts
    Sucks about the NPC stuff. I know you can do Portal levels, by importing the maps + their materials. I don't know about the cameras though. You can definitely turn CSS maps into TF2 maps.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2008
    3,641 Posts
    There is a video of a multiplayer session with a fully functional strider NPC.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Portugal Show Events

18. Post #18

August 2012
    1 Posts
    There is a video of a multiplayer session with a fully functional strider NPC.
    Iv'e seen it.....

Anyways this thing is interesting for me too, and i think it would be awesome even if i could add hl2 npc's to tf2 maps.

(User was banned for this post ("Bumping 3 year old thread" - Ninja101))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Estonia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Late Late x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    Dennab
    February 2010
    1,404 Posts
    th-thanks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 2 (list)