1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    791 Posts
    I'm moving forward with the Heavy part of my project, and now I can start modeling. I only have 25 days left for my Zbrush trial, and want to get the high poly model finished before it runs out V:

In general, I wanted to illustrate some of the differences between her body shape and the original Heavy's. I felt it was essential to keep her large arms and top heavy proportions, but rework it in a way that feminizes the blocky form of the Heavy. I also wanted to make sure that the likeness in the face was still there in some way, through the wide mouth and the small nose. I want her face to still be somewhat angular, but I softened it a bit.

I find that this character is a little easier to deal with in terms of TF2 style, compared to the Medic. She can get away with having larger features that lend themselves to being similar to the male counterparts, which means that she needs less drastic changes and fits better with the way that Valve exaggerates their human characters. I feel that the Heavy Weapons Guy is a pretty respectable as a representation of a heavy person, and I did not want to go the route of "making fun of fat people" since that's predictable, overdone, and easy. She should have the same bearing and confidence.

So yeah. Here are my concept drawings. I'll post my model for feedback as I start to work on it.

First model progress shot:

Some more work:

This is especially dedicated to those requesting tits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Artistic x 121Funny x 13Dumb x 7Optimistic x 3Disagree x 1Bad Reading x 1Informative x 1Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    630 Posts
    Looks very nice. I like how it keeps to the TF2 style.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 46Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    May 2009
    1,437 Posts
    I like it a lot. You're really good at holding the TF2 style in your work.
    Most people lose the style totally when they make skins/models.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    3,485 Posts
    Looks ace
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

5. Post #5
    August 2008
    5,610 Posts
    A decent-looking Female Heavy. Good work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    March 2009
    3,725 Posts
    Nice model, cant wait to see it ingame.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    August 2009
    487 Posts
    WAIT

Realease the god damned medic FIRST
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 2Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    791 Posts
    WAIT

Chill out.

Both of these are required as part of my master's project, and they're both accounted for in my production schedule. I plan to have them both modeled, textured and rigged before I import them into the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 7 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member

November 2007
    8,432 Posts
    WAIT

Models aren't just shat out you know? These take time, I would much rather wait a month on a solid release than wait a week and get some shitty retexture.

Edit:

That being said, I like how you kept the style of the heavy, but added the finesse of a woman. I feel that if you keep at it the way it is the model will turn out great. My only gripe is how skinny the legs are compared to the width of the hips, but that is obviously due to TF2's stylization.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    791 Posts
    That being said, I like how you kept the style of the heavy, but added the finesse of a woman. I feel that if you keep at it the way it is the model will turn out great. My only gripe is how skinny the legs are compared to the width of the hips, but that is obviously due to TF2's stylization.
    Yeah, I'd prefer to work on both of the finished models simultaneously, especially when it comes to the part of the process that I have no experience in. It's actually a more efficient use of time.

As for the legs, I think of the main reasons the character was designed that way is to balance the minigun, visually and also to avoid clipping.

11. Post #11
    August 2009
    1,535 Posts
    Looks decent, like the hat.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,616 Posts
    Fucking awesome concept art

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,703 Posts
    Looks like a chick at my school
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 26Agree Agree x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    August 2009
    375 Posts
    Most of the characters can be transformed into women.
    But not the Heavy, oh no.
    WHO TOUCHED MY HEAVY WEAPONS GUY!?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 20 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    18,248 Posts
    I SWEAR TO GOD if someone says man hands.....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #16

July 2009
    3,317 Posts
    Man hands lol.

Joking aside I can't wait to see how this turns out!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    May 2008
    667 Posts
    beautiful :denmark:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    February 2008
    1,388 Posts
    this is fucking amazing.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,250 Posts
    The graphics are already promising.

20. Post #20
    October 2007
    76 Posts
    Dont make her with hat or you will ruin the hat-wearing aspect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 18Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,476 Posts
    If people keep making TF2-similar (Not anime/sexy models) Models we might have Team Femme Fatal. We already have a Scout, Medic and Spy model being worked on and this Female Heavy might be as good as theirs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    6,406 Posts
    VERY decent. ChemicalAlia, you're going somewhere great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    2,469 Posts
    This Looks Epic.

24. Post #24
    January 2009
    70 Posts
    I'd hit that!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Murr purr and stuff!
    November 2007
    35,957 Posts
    Hot
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 4Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,982 Posts
    interesting, I was thinking she would look different
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

27. Post #27
    Tyrannosaur Fisherman Extraordinaire (Not Game Fish)
    May 2009
    4,819 Posts
    I take my hat off to you, it's one of the few heavy pics that actually keep the TF2 design.

and small word of advice, try and keep it so the hats will fit ontop
    (prevent people complaining about how they don't fit and such)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,059 Posts
    This looks fantastic, you really are something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Dennab
    July 2009
    1,055 Posts
    Damn, you rule.

Pee Ess, coughdosnipernextcoughcoucghthesnipercough

Holy Dooley, I've got a cold today.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    I might be a Vampire Queen
    July 2009
    1,707 Posts
    If people keep making TF2-similar (Not anime/sexy models) Models we might have Team Femme Fatal. We already have a Scout, Medic and Spy model being worked on and this Female Heavy might be as good as theirs.
    I hope you're referring to Royzo's spy and not that god awful sims 2 monstrosity.

31. Post #31
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    January 2009
    21,185 Posts
    Please a bit less fat.
    And a harder face. Not more manly, but harder

Edited:

You know what I mean. She looks like some fat pretty woman clone
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Czech Republic Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    June 2009
    927 Posts
    Please a bit less fat.
    And a harder face. Not more manly, but harder

Edited:

You know what I mean. She looks like some fat pretty woman clone
    She's not fat, just big boned.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly x 5Agree x 3Funny x 1Informative x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    January 2009
    21,185 Posts
    She's not fat, just big boned.

Yeah, there is usually plenty of bones down the belly area. Just make the belly ABIT sleeker. The way it is now it looks like he is pregnant
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Czech Republic Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    791 Posts
    Yeah, there is usually plenty of bones down the belly area. Just make the belly ABIT sleeker. The way it is now it looks like he is pregnant
    Have you ever seen a fat person? 0:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Useful Useful x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    5,249 Posts
    Have you ever seen me?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    January 2009
    21,185 Posts
    Whell maybe you are just not seeing it the same way as me. The second uncolored picture is cool, though at first one I have feeling that the belly is terribly sticking out of the figure. Maybe it's because of she bending back
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    ASK ME ABOUT MY FLIES FETISH
    August 2009
    31,483 Posts
    Good job!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    791 Posts
    Whell maybe you are just not seeing it the same way as me. The second uncolored picture is cool, though at first one I have feeling that the belly is terribly sticking out of the figure. Maybe it's because of she bending back
    Her belly is actually quite a bit smaller than the male version, so that she has less of a rectangular build. If you look at the side view, it's barely protruding, and far less than her chest.

39. Post #39
    Dennab
    August 2009
    7,295 Posts
    In before "Make her chest "protrude" more!".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    1,004 Posts
    I would bang that ass up against the wall.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative x 13Disagree x 7Agree x 6Funny x 2Friendly x 2Bad Reading x 2Dumb x 2Optimistic x 2Useful x 2Late x 2Bad Spelling x 1Artistic x 1 (list)