1. Post #1
    March 2008
    1,205 Posts

TO find fame and fortune in America Hugh Laurie had to adopt a trademark limp for the role of Dr Gregory House.

But that realistic limp could force him out of the TV series that earns him £250,000 an episode because of the pain of contorting his body.

“The show might last to series seven, eight or nine but I don’t know if I will,” he said last night, “because I’m starting to lose my knees a little bit.

“It’s a lot of hip work. There’s things going badly wrong. I need to do yoga.”

The 50-year-old star, a winner of two Golden Globes and just nominated for his third Best Actor Emmy, is about to launch the sixth series of what has become the most watched television drama.

More than 80million *people tune in every week to follow the cantankerous, cane-wielding *clinician as he unravels medical mysteries.

Laurie, the son of a doctor, was best known in Britain for his roles in Jeeves And Wooster and the Blackadder series before “almost falling into” House after a haphazard video audition in a tiny bathroom while filming Flight Of The Phoenix in Namibia.

His performance was so convincing that he was taken for an American actor.

“I have no idea why people like House so much and I am almost too superstitious to ask the question,” said Laurie.

“I don’t know. I feel as if someone’s going to blow a whistle at any moment and say, ‘Right, that’s it. This is all a big mistake. We meant the other guy, the other show.’

However, success has come at a price. The actor is often lonely and homesick for his family in Britain.

“We can finish filming between midnight and 4am. Then I’m straight back to bed. It’s not really a life, actually.

“If this had happened 10 years ago, when my kids were small, it would have been very easy maybe to just yank them out of school and put them in school here. But now they’re teenagers and they’ve got their own life . ”
    http://dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view...-to-cripple-me

Honestly, I think the best thing to do is take a break from house after this season so that he can go back with his family for the year. As for the limp, there was an episode where his leg WASN'T all fucked up, surely that can be re-worked back in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 73Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    773 Posts
    Oh dear God, No.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 73Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,717 Posts
    Hes not even that good of an actor. Hugh Laurie is a close minded man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree x 264Dumb x 11Agree x 8Informative x 1Useful x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,505 Posts
    I never watched House.

Why is it so good? Looks like another boring drama to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Saudi Arabia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 122Agree Agree x 18Dumb Dumb x 12 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    3,942 Posts
    :saddowns:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 38Disagree Disagree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    8,043 Posts
    Ahahha I've only watched house like 4 times and it's only just occurred to me that Hugh Laurie isn't American.
    Even though I've seen Blackadder so many fucking times.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 34Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    717 Posts
    stern
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    September 2007
    386 Posts
    Ahahha I've only watched house like 4 times and it's only just occurred to me that Hugh Laurie isn't American.
    Even though I've seen Blackadder so many fucking times.
    Hugh Laurie is English.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Bad Reading x 41Dumb x 3Bad Spelling x 2Artistic x 1Informative x 1Late x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    March 2008
    1,205 Posts
    I'd like to see you have a thick english accent and pass as an american flawlessly. Limping all day when it isn't necessary DOES eventually fuck you up, and there's nothing wrong about missing your family.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 42Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    I never watched House.

If you haven't watched it of course you don't know why it's good, you haven't fucking watched it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 37Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    6,406 Posts
    Blimey, that poor old legend's really suffering from his trademark. Hope he finds some way to overcome this complication, yet still be able to do it.

I thought that his body would've adapted to it after all these years, though...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    June 2009
    1,760 Posts
    I never watched House.

Because House is a :dong: and people like :dong:.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    Hey guys whats so great about this masturbation thing anyway, I mean all you do is just rub your skin, what's so fun about that

Edited:

Jesus fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 32Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    18,939 Posts
    Yeah, that's why he has two Golden Globes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 24Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    3,942 Posts
    Better the show get canceled for this than go stale and finally get canceled because everyone has stopped watching.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

16. Post #16
    September 2007
    386 Posts
    Hey guys whats so great about this masturbation thing anyway, I mean all you do is just rub your skin, what's so fun about that

Edited:

Jesus fuck
    Why are you being off topic?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 23Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    Why are you being off topic?
    I was trying to automerge my post.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    September 2009
    324 Posts
    Want proof how good of an actor he is?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 20Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    July 2009
    853 Posts
    Disregard that, I fucked up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    18,939 Posts
    Better the show get canceled for this than go stale and finally get canceled because everyone has stopped watching.
    Season 6 is going to be interesting considering what happens during the season finale of season 5.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    August 2009
    429 Posts
    Ahaha... wait, you're serious? He's one of the best actors I can think of.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 21 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    18,939 Posts
    IMO House is probably one of the best shows on TV right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

23. Post #23
    Dennab
    June 2005
    1,879 Posts
    House is a fucking incredible show, damn haters.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,070 Posts
    Show went downhill after season 3.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Disagree Disagree x 27Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    18,939 Posts
    Show went downhill after season 3.
    I don't think so.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    720 Posts
    Are you shitting me?

If you are, there's a fresh change of undies that I'd like you to get for me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member

May 2006
    111 Posts
    Hugh Laurie is English.
    That is what he was saying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,534 Posts
    I never watched House.

It is. I enjoyed one episode but I couldn't fucking watch it all the time. Someone posted a funny episode template for every single episode and it fit the one I watched perfectly, so they all must be like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    11,012 Posts
    If I were him I'd have taken a break as soon as I noticed something was wrong.

30. Post #30
    Next week: Hugh Laurie overdoses on Vicodin, solves incredible medical mystery anyway

He really is an amazing actor, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 19 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    8,376 Posts
    I never watched House.

Official thread idiots
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 18Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    7,338 Posts
    Huge Laurie is awesome, a real amazing actor. If he has to quit to save himself I personally will not be upset with him. He did one hell of a show and deserves a good break. I feel for him too, all my family is back in Scotland and at this moment i live in America. I miss my folks back home, but i do talk to them every weekend so.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member

August 2007
    8,377 Posts
    "The actor is often lonely and homesick for his family in Britain."

:frown:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 25Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,064 Posts
    I don't think House is going to run for that much longer, they're running out of new ways for him to be an asshole.

Hugh's got my respect, though, the way he plays the character is the only thing that separates House from the dozens of hospital shows out there.

35. Post #35
    February 2009
    3,696 Posts
    :saddowns:
    :saddowns: is right. :saddowns:

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    1,415 Posts
    I like his character in house. But every episode is the same. There is no added twist to any of it to make me want to watch more then 10 episodes of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    3,118 Posts
    House is one of the best shows i can think of, but they need a new layout for the show it's always:

2 people - one is kind of sick the other isn't, they interact, somehow the other is really sick.
    House is a dick to everyone and makes us laugh then solves medical mystery by being a dick.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    7,905 Posts
    Oh man, I feel bad for him :frown:

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,505 Posts
    Official thread idiots
    Yes, I'm an idiot because I don't watch a TV show.

Yeah!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Saudi Arabia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Agree Agree x 5Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member

November 2007
    8,432 Posts
    I like his character in house. But every episode is the same. There is no added twist to any of it to make me want to watch more then 10 episodes of it.
    Really? I blew through all five seasons in two months. I love this show.

Although as someone mentioned, better the show go out at a high point than to go out leaving bad taste in your mouth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)