1. Post #641
    August 2009
    1,383 Posts
    Fuck that. I'm not in advanced classes because I pick my nose all day.
    In my classes I read books and drew cars all hour and got A's and B's but never felt like going into AP courses
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #642
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    3,767 Posts
    more school = more dropouts

more dropouts = less idiots

less idiots = :smug:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #643
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    8,256 Posts
    to the kids saying 'Quality of Quantity', that should apply to you. I'm seeing more quantity of kids who doesn't do shit in school other than talk about Kanye West during VMA rather than seeing quality kids who actually tries.

Edited:

No, they need to get rid of stupid fucking students who doesn't do shit and blame their teachers when they got an F because they don't care
    you know, your name fits so well right now

4. Post #644
    May 2008
    706 Posts
    In Malaysia, school holidays are just a bit less than 2 months. Stop whining.

5. Post #645
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    1,957 Posts
    America gets like 5 months of summer,
    I get only 2 :smithicide:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Lithuania Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #646
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    8,256 Posts
    3 months
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #647
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,707 Posts
    Five months of summer? Yeah right, try two. I would love it if we had five months of Summer. Though, I would rather have shorter school days then shorter summer breaks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #648
    Meet the Pyro
    April 2006
    4,498 Posts
    Thank god I am done with K-12 schooling
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #649
    June 2007
    361 Posts
    You kids in the US get ridiculously long summer holidays anyway
    we need alot more time off, believe me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #650
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    1,415 Posts
    TBH, I'd like a year round school with occasional two week breaks throughout the year. This gives you enough time to have a small vacation, but it doesn't give you enough time to forget everything you've learned and gain 30 pounds because you sat on your ass for 3 months eating doritos while playing xbox.

11. Post #651
    August 2008
    1,725 Posts
    My teacher told us about how he thinks Arne Duncan is an idiot for naming Aldine ISD the best urban district in the US based on test scores.

Said teacher had a job there a few years ago and he said it was horribly unpleasant there, He had to deal with brats that didn't want to do shit. Now I can understand that, but apparently he had to pass them even though they don't do shit.

Then we had a discussion about longer school, and one girl in the class was basically giving a lot of good reasons as to why we shouldn't get longer school.

12. Post #652
    I've been here since 2005 and I had to pay $10 for a title.
    February 2005
    5,851 Posts
    I just hope that this doesn't happen until another year or two. I'm graduating early next year, fall semester (this time 2010), so I just hope I get out before he starts this bullshit. If not, I'm not even going to bare the grueling day. It's already hard enough with my extensive ADD fucking me over, and then I'd have to sit there for another 3 fucking hours just to go crazy and lose focus?

Drop out rates will surely increase by a shitload. Sure, yeah, I guess it's unfair to the English and what-not... But, I don't care. The English form (organization, lessons, etc etc) is highly different than most American schools; which in my opinion, would make it much more bearable to the English judging by how you guys go to school and everything. That College thing, which is like high-school here (I guess?)... People on these forums alone go on about how they can be late to their lessons because they have the time off till then during the day. We don't get that here except in our -REAL- college (which is considered Uni for English students), even then, that can greatly harm your grades.

After reading the thread, most English folk here say we deserve it. I don't think so.

13. Post #653
    February 2009
    237 Posts
    You kids in the US get ridiculously long summer holidays anyway
    You just jealous cus I are smarter and has longer brake

14. Post #654
    August 2009
    2,501 Posts
    Good thing I live in Canada

15. Post #655
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    5,478 Posts
    Fuck this I wanna be homeschooled now.

On a serious note, lengthening time in school isn't the problem. It's the content of the curriculum that needs re-evaluation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #656
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2008
    3,641 Posts
    Hah, I get a full 3 months where I am.
    Not 2 and a half, 3 months summer vacation.
    I'm so lucky
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Portugal Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #657
    Gold Member

March 2005
    4,417 Posts
    I don't think North American students should have their holidays taken away, instead I think others should should follow and not push their children so much.

You might look at me strangely, but if kids weren't pushed so hard maybe they wouldn't turn into egotistical pricks and instead would have a chance to enjoy their childhood.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #658
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    4,068 Posts
    Haha, oh America how you will love it!

Pretty much standard here.

19. Post #659
    Gold Member

May 2005
    2,268 Posts
    And they think adding more time to the school year is going to improve attendance rates? lol. I've already graduated from high school so this won't affect me at all, and still I think its a stupid idea. The main problem with schools failing I think is the attendance, when I went to high school the year would start with over 3000 students, and there would be maybe not even 2000 students attending by the end of the year. By extending the school year, even more kids will just say "fuck this" and not go, if it wasn't bad enough before attendance will get even worse.

If this is put into effect I can't wait to see the drop out rates.

20. Post #660
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    5,261 Posts
    In before all the kids of FP start whining. It's not like you pay attention in school anyway.
    Yes, because you know everyone. Psychic. :ghost:

21. Post #661
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    4,032 Posts
    Over here in germany we only get 6 weeks of summer vacation... :|
    Same in Britain.

Though at Uni, we get a much longer summer break, though to be honest it's so that we can work and earn money to get us through the year.

22. Post #662
    September 2005
    794 Posts
    Problem isn't the length of time spent in school it's the poor funding and shitty teachers, and even if they did pump government cheese dollars into districts chances are the schools would just waste it on dumb shit like they always have.

For 90% of the teachers at my high school it was their first year teaching, and these were the people teaching advanced classes like Calculus Physics. The easier classes like Algebra and Geometry were basically given to the gym teachers and other random teachers that didn't know shit about what they were teaching.

23. Post #663
    January 2009
    672 Posts
    lmao i'm in uk and get 12-13 weeks off.

24. Post #664
    Gold Member

June 2005
    4,438 Posts
    lmao i'm in uk and get 12-13 weeks off.
    We can see that...

25. Post #665
    March 2008
    1,574 Posts
    How about instead of quantity, why not increase the quality?
    this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #666
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    20,307 Posts
    That's not the way to get re-elected.
    Like hell it isn't. Teachers that get laid off 3 months of the year will have full time jobs, parents won't have to put up with their annoying kids (And let's be honest, 99% of kids are more of a pain in the ass than not) and will be more than happy to see them off to school YEAR ROUND. Besides, you can't vote unless you're over 18, and the majority of people graduate high school before they're 18
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #667
    ''just wondering''
    December 2008
    2,878 Posts
    Hey Obama... ill be voting next election... fucking remember this....

28. Post #668
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    6,484 Posts
    You would be doing everybody a huge favor by not voting.

29. Post #669
    ''just wondering''
    December 2008
    2,878 Posts
    You would be doing everybody a huge favor by not voting.
    :smug:

30. Post #670
    July 2009
    2,461 Posts
    ''...And winning by exactly one vote, Sarah Palin!''

31. Post #671
    June 2009
    180 Posts
    You know what will fix schools fuck Elective classes save that for art schools or something.Skip Lunch why do we need it if all the filler classes are gone :? lets see when i was in middle school i spent about 7hours in class so 7 hours - 2 hours and 30mins = 4:30min school time.Another thing would be to make kids go to school earlier i mean srsly 6:00 Am isnt that bad Early > Late. Sry i was in a rush typeing this.....

32. Post #672
    May 2008
    150 Posts
    You know what will fix schools fuck Elective classes save that for art schools or something.Skip Lunch why do we need it if all the filler classes are gone :? lets see when i was in middle school i spent about 7hours in class so 7 hours - 2 hours and 30mins = 4:30min school time.Another thing would be to make kids go to school earlier i mean srsly 6:00 Am isnt that bad Early > Late. Sry i was in a rush typeing this.....
    So the kids that want to be artists , musicians etc are doomed then ?

Anyway why don't we just take kids away from the parents once they come out of the womb ? Return them to the parents when they are 18 and they can start building a relationship from there....

Wake up early , go to school for most of the day, dinner,bath, Go to bed to prepare for the next day....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #673
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    6,484 Posts
    Anyway why don't we just take kids away from the parents once they come out of the womb ? Return them to the parents when they are 18 and they can start building a relationship from there....
    are you autistic

34. Post #674
    August 2009
    957 Posts
    Too bad the actual problem isn't the length of time we spend in school. It's the apathy towards learning and the ineffective, non-standardized methods teachers use to try to teach students, but only serve to get students to get good grades (Which mean nothing in a system that is not standardized) and to get them to attain a love of learning and to keep the lessons they have been taught for years after the fact.
    You, you win this thread.

35. Post #675
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,144 Posts
    You, you win this thread.
    Rather worthless bump, but while we're at it. Yes he is very much right, experienced teachers who actually care enough to teach more than to the test are what the US public school system needs. Not more fucking hours of school and days of school, sure it works in other countries, but it isn't going to do jackshit if all the teachers just don't give a damn.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Japan Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #676
    October 2008
    2,037 Posts
    The simple fact of the matter is that kids have better things to do with their childhood than spend more than they already do, in school. Maybe this works in other countries, but in America, many kids know how valuable childhood (of which I consider 0-18) is and that it only fucking comes around once. What you do when you grow up can determine what kind of person you are later.

It seems like many consider that you have to "earn" your right to have fun by going to school. Spending most of the day at school, then going home and doing more bullshit for no reason that really matters. What kind of society do we live in when you spend most of your childhood (I shudder at the thought of how much time you clock in after you've finished school) in school, then directly after that, spend your adult life working, basically doing the exact same shit you did for the first part of your life.

When you look at it from a wide view, from start to finish your really not doing anything but constantly "earning" your right to, well, do anything else at all than schooling or working. It seems a bit flawed to me, more so since the point of going to school is to go to college and the point of going to that is to get a high-paying job, when many drop outs become richer than any college person could ever dream of,(case in point: Musicians, have you heard the shit people are into now days? Doesn't really require the skill it once did to get a huge fan base) though many don't I admit, it's still too flawed with the current ratio.

Besides, as has been stated many times, the problem with most schooling is teachers that only see a paycheck, the real problem being the teachers that actually care teach too few people.

Everyone I personally know told me they simply wouldn't go once the old summer vacation days roll around. The funny thing is, their parents agree, having had longer vacation than we do as it is.

As for myself, I already finished school so none of this really effects me, however I won't tolerate it if this comes to pass for my own children.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #677
    XD!
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,183 Posts
    No, 6am is a horrible time for school is horrible, My brother goes to school at 6:30am, I go at 7:00am.
    Sure I get out at 2pm, but I practically lose an hour of teaching because I'm fucking tired. Plus it's annoying to get back into said sleep schedule from summer break. I don't know about you, but I also like my lunch.Plus, electives are so those who want to get an even higher education can get one, without electives, I won't be able to take a college level course in high school for early college credit.

Basically, they are there for a reason, even if you think you are done at high school not all of us are.

Edited:

And then I noticed the date.

38. Post #678
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    15,040 Posts
    Obama's done for if this dumb-shit rule gets passed.

Edited:

You're getting Normal times like us English!

Well done!
    If you english got longer summer vacations, you would be all like, "Fuck Yea"

So fuck off.

39. Post #679
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    January 2009
    21,481 Posts
    That was already been posted sometime around summ-

nevermind.

40. Post #680
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,687 Posts
    Fuck this I wanna be homeschooled now.

On a serious note, lengthening time in school isn't the problem. It's the content of the curriculum that needs re-evaluation.
    We'd be well on our way to curriculum re-evaluation if lazy fucks would actually put effort into learning.