1. Post #41
    foxcock
    June 2008
    6,874 Posts
    Quote for new page.

I am SOOO making a middle finger animation with this xD
    Bone animations.

Not hand.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 22Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #42
    March 2009
    231 Posts
    I'm afraid you are mistaken my good sir, if there are no bones in the models hands, how can you pose them? Also this:

ValveBiped.Bip01_L_Finger0
    ValveBiped.Bip01_L_Finger01
    ValveBiped.Bip01_L_Finger02
    ValveBiped.Bip01_L_Finger1
    ValveBiped.Bip01_L_Finger11
    ValveBiped.Bip01_L_Finger12

etc...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #43
    September 2009
    182 Posts
    I've had a question about gmod animations for some time now. Is it possible to compile a model to have more animations than the source engine alone provides? Can you make your own animations and gestures and use them in game? If this is possible, you'd think there would be some animation addons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    March 2009
    231 Posts
    This IS an animation addon, it's just in beta, so there's no fancy schmancy menu yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,599 Posts
    This IS an animation addon, it's just in beta, so there's no fancy schmancy menu yet.
    so how do you use it, console comands?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10 (list)

6. Post #46
    foxcock
    June 2008
    6,874 Posts
    I'm afraid you are mistaken my good sir, if there are no bones in the models hands, how can you pose them? Also this:

ValveBiped.Bip01_L_Finger0
    ValveBiped.Bip01_L_Finger01
    ValveBiped.Bip01_L_Finger02
    ValveBiped.Bip01_L_Finger1
    ValveBiped.Bip01_L_Finger11
    ValveBiped.Bip01_L_Finger12

etc...
    I thank you for the correction, I too must flip people off in lua now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #47
    moo
    November 2006
    4,833 Posts
    so how do you use it, console comands?
    You write lua scripts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #48
    foxcock
    June 2008
    6,874 Posts
    Anyone got a full bone list?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

9. Post #49
    March 2009
    231 Posts
    Source SDK Model Viewer is where I get bones and such.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #50
    Here's two more images. I made an idle stance for a high-powered pistol weapon. When the player is shooting they start playing the stance and stop playing when they stop shooting (holding left click or not). One thing you have to remember about this is that you need to use this on the client for it to work best. The server can send the function to clients but if you were to use this in say, Think or Move then it should be mostly or entirely client-controlled.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Funny Funny x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

11. Post #51
    foxcock
    June 2008
    6,874 Posts
    So this works on npc's? If so, that would inspire me into trying to make a hunter (L4D) snpc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #52
    It works on anything that calls BuildBonePositions and has bones.

13. Post #53

October 2007
    169 Posts
    If I get time, I'll make DGUI. This is fucking sexy, by the way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

14. Post #54
    October 2008
    500 Posts
    Another great release, Thnx JetBoom =]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,449 Posts
    I've had a question about gmod animations for some time now. Is it possible to compile a model to have more animations than the source engine alone provides? Can you make your own animations and gestures and use them in game? If this is possible, you'd think there would be some animation addons.
    Yes, if you're compiling your own model you can create as many animations as you like to be used ingame, but if you're making a player/NPC I strongly suggest you recreate the normal bone structure and THEN make your own animations.

16. Post #56
    foxcock
    June 2008
    6,874 Posts
    Fingers/faces are pose-able. Fingers have bones in source. Are there face bones? If so, couldn't - this be used to pose faces as well?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,645 Posts
    Fingers/faces are pose-able. Fingers have bones in source. Are there face bones? If so, couldn't - this be used to pose faces as well?
    The face does not actually have any bones, it's handled by a different part of the engine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 7Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #58
    March 2009
    231 Posts
    So, I have made a little animation, nothing big, just a simple grudge head turning thing, and it works in singleplayer, but how would I get it to work in my dedicated server so everyone sees mah head turning around?

Yes, they download cl_boneanimlib.lua and sh_boneanimlib.lua

Yes, it recognizes the SetLuaAnimation() when I use "lua_run" (Same method I used for SP)

So how do I do this?

Nvm, fix'd

19. Post #59
    Pass along
    May 2008
    4,065 Posts
    so how you fixed it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply France Show Events Agree Agree x 4Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

20. Post #60
    Finger posing wouldn't work well on players. They only have a thumb and one set for the rest of the fingers. The higher quality models used for ragdolls and NPC's actually have all the fingers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Informative Informative x 10 (list)

21. Post #61
    March 2009
    231 Posts
    so how you fixed it?
    Put them into the gamemode folder instead of as an addon format.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

22. Post #62
    foxcock
    June 2008
    6,874 Posts
    It works on my server just fine in addon format.

Also, jetboom, moving the spine would also move the head, because the head is parented to the spine. Could you add a way to do things like that in REVERSE, so that the bone moved will also move anything that it's parented to? Such as if the foot moves, everything else does too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

23. Post #63
    You're supposed to use rotations. Moving the spine in that animation was just a test to show you what happens when you do that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Informative Informative x 4 (list)

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    150 Posts
    Not sure if it's just me, but it seems that Lua animations don't entirely work on DModelImages, they are accepted and run just fine... to an extent. The parenting seems to have some weird stuff going on.

Using that animation on for example, a player works fine and makes then bend over at the hips, so I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas?

Edit: Just noticed, I think it's because it uses a ClientsideModel, not sure why it doesn't work with clientside models though.

25. Post #65
    moo
    November 2006
    4,833 Posts
    Is that a player model or an npc model, Delremos? Because I tried setting the "stancetest" to an NPC but it didn't work right.

26. Post #66
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    150 Posts
    It's just a
    ClientsideModel( LocalPlayer():GetModel(), RENDER_GROUP_OPAQUE_ENTITY )

27. Post #67
    October 2007
    676 Posts
    This makes my character's torso stretch really high up and down. Over and over and over. And I die and spaz everywhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #68
    moo
    November 2006
    4,833 Posts
    This makes my character's torso stretch really high up and down. Over and over and over. And I die and spaz everywhere.
    Isn't it great? :D

29. Post #69
    It's just a
    ClientsideModel( LocalPlayer():GetModel(), RENDER_GROUP_OPAQUE_ENTITY )
    I tried doing that. If you can't figure it out you might have to have it use an actual player or NPC.

30. Post #70
    August 2005
    3,985 Posts
    Not sure if it's just me, but it seems that Lua animations don't entirely work on DModelImages, they are accepted and run just fine... to an extent. The parenting seems to have some weird stuff going on.

Using that animation on for example, a player works fine and makes then bend over at the hips, so I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas?

Edit: Just noticed, I think it's because it uses a ClientsideModel, not sure why it doesn't work with clientside models though.
    I think a good idea for an "editor" is to pose the ragdoll and translate that pose into a table the script can understand.

Using the it like the PAC would be horrible. (I actually wish I used this method for the PAC as well now that I think about it.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

31. Post #71
    That would only work for sequences. The math involved in only using rotations would be a nightmare.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #72
    September 2008
    653 Posts
    So FrameRate is how fast the bones transition to their new position and angle? And how do I reset the bones for postures, stances, and sequences?

33. Post #73
    StopLuaAnimation ends the animation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #74
    September 2008
    653 Posts
    Thanks.

35. Post #75
    Also, you can assign a group to an animation and then use StopLuaAnimationGroup. Any animation using that group is stopped. Useful for say, different animations for one thing (swinging a weapon) and you don't want overlaps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Informative Informative x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #76
    March 2009
    231 Posts
    I would absolutely less than 3 anyone who made an editor for this.

Also, on my server I have a custom radio, and I made an animation for it and it's cool.

Basically, when I start the radio, people's heads bob left and right, as if listening to the music :D

Cool part: I used the ShouldPlay function or whatever to make it only play if they have the radio on, so you can tell who's listening to the radio and who's not by their heads bobbing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12Artistic Artistic x 1Funny Funny x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

37. Post #77
    Turning it off and on is better than having it run all the time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

38. Post #78
    March 2009
    231 Posts
    What do you mean?

Why the hell was I rated dumb?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 27Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #79
    September 2008
    653 Posts
    What do you mean?

Why the hell was I rated dumb?
    i would absolutely less than 3 anyone who made an editor for this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Dumb Dumb x 2Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

40. Post #80
    March 2009
    231 Posts
    I only made that "Why the hell was I rated dumb?" part of my last post so that I could get dumb ratings on it xD

REVERSE PSYCHOLOGY MY FRIENDS. LEARN IT.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 34Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)