1. Post #281
    July 2009
    1,265 Posts
    They can't take action against it unless somebody uses illegal methods to reverse their system. Like using leaked source code. Look at Wine and Samba.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #282
    October 2009
    40 Posts
    I was talking more about steam bans and achievement/stats resets, rather than legal action.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Thailand Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #283
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    860 Posts
    There is always a risk, but it's very unlikely.

I've been messing with SW things for a few months now. My achievement/stats have never been reset, and my account has never been disabled or banned.

Edited:

That doesn't mean it's 100% safe. If anyone using OSW for some shady purposes gets an account banned then I really can't be held responsible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #284
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,880 Posts
    aVoN, that is using the Steam Client, (as in "needs Steam.exe running"), right?
    Or are custom clients actually possible now?
    Yes, Steam has to run with this.
    It's a lot of easier using Open SteamWorsk to access the steam-api than reverse engineering the SteamFriends protocoll.

Edited:

static const uint64 COMMUNITY_ID_OFFSET = 76561197960265728; //Used to convert STEAM_ID -> CommunityID (in third constructor)

CSteamID::ConvertToUint64(); and CSteamID( (long)communityId );
    I know about this function and I'm actually using it frequently. But I need this var, so I can do

CFriend myFriend = CFriend("STEAM_0:1:23456789")

There, I convert the steam-id string back to uint64 cummunityID in order to get CSteamID(communityID) and then a CFriend Object.

I'm still working on the custom client stuff, but progress has been very slow.
    I think that's very hard. Messages are encrypted (First RSA afaik and then AES - Not entirely sure). I once saw a partially reverse-engineered protocol in the net and it wasn't really easy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Informative Informative x 2Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

5. Post #285
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    1,351 Posts
    Is there any way to stop the chat window popping up when you send a message?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Austria Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #286
    September 2009
    2,667 Posts
    It's a lot of easier using Open SteamWorsk to access the steam-api than reverse engineering the SteamFriends protocoll.
    The idea is to make use of Steam's own DLLs to connect to Steam Friends.
    So you won't even touch the protocol.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

7. Post #287
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,880 Posts
    Isn't that what I said?

8. Post #288
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    239 Posts
    that's what that means
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #289
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,880 Posts
    Is there any way to stop the chat window popping up when you send a message?
    Probably yes. Find all windows with C++ and close that one which just popped up (that's the "hard way" I think). I'll run to this issue anyway later, when I'll start coding on the actual trillian-plugin. My plans are to stop the popups when you are not ingame (detecting "ingame", when the SteamFriends Overlay is on).

10. Post #290
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    239 Posts
    start steam with -console and then type log_ipc 1

for maximum fun
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

11. Post #291
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,880 Posts
    start steam with -console and then type log_ipc 1

for maximum fun
    Oh, nice!

Edited:

Just a random question: What are the interfaces numbered? Example: ISteamFriends001 to 3 or similar. Isn't ISteamFriends enough? I saw, all interfaces differ a little bit. But why not making one huge with all necessary stuff in it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

12. Post #292
    September 2009
    2,667 Posts
    Not quite, I meant "building your own Steam client using the same DLLs Valve's client uses for its functionality".
    So basically you'd have to be able to run the DLLs but you don't have to run the Steam client and don't have to use its API so you could basically do everything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

13. Post #293
    October 2009
    40 Posts
    Just a random question: What are the interfaces numbered? Example: ISteamFriends001 to 3 or similar. Isn't ISteamFriends enough? I saw, all interfaces differ a little bit. But why not making one huge with all necessary stuff in it?
    From what I understand it's just the ones that VALVe have frozen a version of, presumably for backwards compatibility when something gets removed.
    That way, older games that expect (for example) getFriendCountOrWhateverTheFuctionIsCalled() to return only the number of people on the users friends list don't break with the new version that expects the 'type' of friend wanted to be passed as well.
    The most recent version should be used in a new project, VoiDeD just makes available exactly what is in the DLLs.

If you want the cutting edge (possibly changing) version, use the IClientFriends interface.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Thailand Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

14. Post #294
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,880 Posts
    From what I understand it's just the ones that VALVe have frozen a version of, presumably for backwards compatibility when something gets removed.
    That way, older games that expect (for example) getFriendCountOrWhateverTheFuctionIsCalled() to return only the number of people on the users friends list don't break with the new version that expects the 'type' of friend wanted to be passed as well.
    The most recent version should be used in a new project, VoiDeD just makes available exactly what is in the DLLs.

If you want the cutting edge (possibly changing) version, use the IClientFriends interface.
    Ah, I understand. So it's safer, to use the _00X interfaces instead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #295
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    239 Posts
    Not quite, I meant "building your own Steam client using the same DLLs Valve's client uses for its functionality".
    So basically you'd have to be able to run the DLLs but you don't have to run the Steam client and don't have to use its API so you could basically do everything.
    Except VoiDeD can't get the login process to work.

16. Post #296
    September 2009
    2,667 Posts
    Except VoiDeD can't get the login process to work.
    Yeah that's why I asked if someone's gotten it to work in the first place

17. Post #297
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,880 Posts
    VoiDeD, you already worked with SteamFriends but in C#. I now ran into an issue, where I need to get new messages from SteamFriends.

I looked into the API and it looks like ISteam006 is suitable. It has SetNotificationCallback as member and I think that one can be used to get messages from steam-friends. At least, I did not find any other method yet where I can add a callback in order to obtain received messages.

Well, my problem now is, if I use STEAM = (ISteam006*) ClientFactory(STEAM_INTERFACE_VERSION_006,&error);, my program compiles but instantly crashes :(

What can be the cause? Or is there an even better method in getting received messages?

18. Post #298
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    860 Posts
    Probably yes. Find all windows with C++ and close that one which just popped up (that's the "hard way" I think). I'll run to this issue anyway later, when I'll start coding on the actual trillian-plugin. My plans are to stop the popups when you are not ingame (detecting "ingame", when the SteamFriends Overlay is on).
    That would indeed be the hard way. I'm not sure of any other way to do it through OSW.

It's Valve's process of allowing updates to interfaces without breaking existing code.

If a game uses an older version of ISteamFriends because it was built for that version a long time ago, any changes to the vtable layout will break that game. So instead Valve uses interface versioning throughout the vast majority of their code, even in the source engine itself.

This way they can release new interfaces and any new consumer code can use it, and old code will still stay functional.

Internally they're named all sorts of things, such as CAdapterSteamInterface###, CSteamInterfaceV###, and other ones, but their steamworks SDK will only contain an interface definition for a specific version, so you're limited to using only that version. OSW is basically all the releases of the SDK rolled into one, with additional stuff you'll never find in the SDK, like IClient and the steam.dll headers.

Most of the time, yeah, but there are sometimes functions in the older interfaces that aren't available in the new ones.

Not recommended. Each steamclient update has the potential to change IClient interfaces. These aren't versioned like the ISteam counterparts. IClient are assumed to be compiled for use in one consumer: steam.exe, so they make no reserves when changing things.

I try my best to update the IClient interfaces to their latest versions, but I still don't recommend using them. They're provided for that "oh cool look what steam can do" feeling.

Ah, I understand. So it's safer, to use the _00X interfaces instead.
    Yep.

VoiDeD, you already worked with SteamFriends but in C#. I now ran into an issue, where I need to get new messages from SteamFriends.

I looked into the API and it looks like ISteam006 is suitable. It has SetNotificationCallback as member and I think that one can be used to get messages from steam-friends. At least, I did not find any other method yet where I can add a callback in order to obtain received messages.

Well, my problem now is, if I use STEAM = (ISteam006*) ClientFactory(STEAM_INTERFACE_VERSION_006,&error);, my program compiles but instantly crashes :(

What can be the cause? Or is there an even better method in getting received messages?
    ISteam is an interface provided by steam.dll, but isn't what you want at all. That's the interface for starting your own steam engine instance and going through the login process and other related goodies.

What you're looking for is ISteamFriends::GetChatMessage.

There is an example in the Chat Log code, which is C#, but you should be able to convert it to it's C++ equivalent easily.

http://code.assembla.com/steamworks/...s?rev=88#ln236
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #299
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,880 Posts
    ISteam is an interface provided by steam.dll, but isn't what you want at all. That's the interface for starting your own steam engine instance and going through the login process and other related goodies.

What you're looking for is ISteamFriends::GetChatMessage.

There is an example in the Chat Log code, which is C#, but you should be able to convert it to it's C++ equivalent easily.

http://code.assembla.com/steamworks/...s?rev=88#ln236
    Well, ISteamFriends::GetChatMessage seems not to be "event-based". I thought there is some type of method where I supply a callback. I also found many structs related to ISteamFriends which seem to be "used" for "hook like" callbacks.

Well, if there is no other way, I'll just constantly check for updates then with this method. Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Informative Informative x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #300
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,880 Posts
    VoiDeD:

Is there a method now other than running an infinite-loop checking for updates of messages using C++? If so, do you have an example?

I actually can't really answer this from your C# example (and I also never coded C#)

Edit
    After looking through the code, I found Steam_BGetCallback(PIPE,&callbackMsg,&steamCall) which I now want to run frequently and check for updates concerning messages.
    But when I want to run my program, it tells me it can't fiend steamclient.dll (and only, when the above function is used) - Just when I put the exectuable into the same directory as Steam, it runs well - But that shouldn't happen. (Used system is Win7x64Pro).

The same problem happens with the Callback Logger:It only runs within the Steamfolder. But I need to run Steam_BGetCallback outside of that folder.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #301
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    758 Posts
    You do indeed have to copy over steamclient.dll, as well as tier0_s and vstdlib_s.dll.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

22. Post #302
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    3,577 Posts
    Maybe you can use LoadLibrary of the Windows SDK and pass the full path. Don't forget to free the library.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #303
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,880 Posts
    You do indeed have to copy over steamclient.dll, as well as tier0_s and vstdlib_s.dll.
    Really? Oh shit. I thought I could interface with Steam as I did before. Well, then I'll just always copy a latest version of those dlls to my app.

Isn't there a way, making my app pretend to have these dlls in it's working directory? I tried ZeekyHBomb method, but it seem to have no effect.

Edit
    Seems like I was acting too fast. I just read about GetProcAddress in combination with LoadLibrary. I'll give this a try tomorrow. Going to bed now. Thanks for the help.

24. Post #304
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    860 Posts
    Well, ISteamFriends::GetChatMessage seems not to be "event-based". I thought there is some type of method where I supply a callback. I also found many structs related to ISteamFriends which seem to be "used" for "hook like" callbacks.

Well, if there is no other way, I'll just constantly check for updates then with this method. Thanks.
    Steamclient.dll is entirely event driven via callbacks. You poll for new callbacks with Steam_BGetCallback, and it will give you the minimal amount of data (steam ids involved with the chat message, chat id, etc in the case of a friends message) you need to investigate the data further as necessary.

This allows consumer code to not request additional data if it's not deemed necessary, thus saving on bandwidth if there is alot of behind the scenes data.

VoiDeD:

Is there a method now other than running an infinite-loop checking for updates of messages using C++? If so, do you have an example?
    You can use steam_api.dll to register callbacks through some of the macro's located in Callbacks.h, but you'd have to ask AzuiSleet for the specifics. You'll still have to run a loop and call SteamAPI_RunCallbacks to have it process any callbacks for you.

Edit
    After looking through the code, I found Steam_BGetCallback(PIPE,&callbackMsg,&steamCall) which I now want to run frequently and check for updates concerning messages.
    But when I want to run my program, it tells me it can't fiend steamclient.dll (and only, when the above function is used) - Just when I put the exectuable into the same directory as Steam, it runs well - But that shouldn't happen. (Used system is Win7x64Pro).
    As azu said, you need vstdlib_s.dll, and tier0_s.dll in order for steamclient.dll to sucessfully load.

Really? Oh shit. I thought I could interface with Steam as I did before. Well, then I'll just always copy a latest version of those dlls to my app.

Isn't there a way, making my app pretend to have these dlls in it's working directory? I tried ZeekyHBomb method, but it seem to have no effect.
    There is an alternative to manually loading all these libraries. You can make use of steam_api.dll, and call the SteamAPI_Init function. This will locate the steam directory, and load all the libraries necessary. That way you can redistribute your program with just steam_api.dll.

If you still want to load everything manually, SetDllDirectory and LoadLibrary.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

25. Post #305
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,880 Posts
    This was really helpful. Thank you very much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

26. Post #306
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    758 Posts
    If you don't want to worry about copying dlls and all the other jazz, you can skip steam_api and instead use the CSteamAPILoader class recently added. It loads the proper steam dlls and sets the DllDirectory. It returns the steamclient factory, so you can get ISteamClient or whatever else you want. (which you then CreateSteamPipe etc)

Code:
    	CSteamAPILoader apiloader;

CreateInterfaceFn clientFactory = apiloader.Load();
    	if(clientFactory == NULL)

client = (ISteamClient008 *)clientFactory(STEAMCLIENT_INTERFACE_VERSION_008, NULL);
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Useful Useful x 3Informative Informative x 2 (list)

27. Post #307
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,880 Posts
    If you don't want to worry about copying dlls and all the other jazz, you can skip steam_api and instead use the CSteamAPILoader class recently added. It loads the proper steam dlls and sets the DllDirectory. It returns the steamclient factory, so you can get ISteamClient or whatever else you want. (which you then CreateSteamPipe etc)

Code:
    	CSteamAPILoader apiloader;

CreateInterfaceFn clientFactory = apiloader.Load();
    	if(clientFactory == NULL)

client = (ISteamClient008 *)clientFactory(STEAMCLIENT_INTERFACE_VERSION_008, NULL);
    Oh jeez, that looks even easier than I tried it. Thank you :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

28. Post #308
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    603 Posts
    Except as otherwise permitted under Section 2(C) with regard to the SDK, you may not, in whole or in part, copy, photocopy, reproduce, translate, reverse engineer, derive source code, modify, disassemble, decompile, create derivative works based on, or remove any proprietary notices or labels from the Steam Software or any software accessed via Steam without the prior consent, in writing, of Valve.
    Am I late?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Late Late x 4Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #309
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,403 Posts
    Am I late?
    Yes. Very.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Agree Agree x 3 (list)

30. Post #310
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    860 Posts
    Am I late?
    That's in reference to the Source SDK anyway. More so, with such a restrictive EULA, projects like SourceMod and MetaMod: Source are still alive and kicking.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

31. Post #311
    Dennab
    March 2009
    7 Posts
    Can somebody tell me something about this code
    Code:
    #include <boost/cstdlib.hpp>
    #include <boost/unordered_map.hpp>
    Because i dont have this folders, and project doesnt compile =(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #312
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    1,515 Posts
    Can somebody tell me something about this code
    Code:
    #include <boost/cstdlib.hpp>
    #include <boost/unordered_map.hpp>
    Because i dont have this folders, and project doesnt compile =(
    Get boost
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

33. Post #313
    Dennab
    March 2009
    7 Posts
    Another stupid question:
    Code:
    [SERVER] Loading item DB... Unable to load DB, empty!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Russian Federation Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Funny Funny x 1Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

34. Post #314

35. Post #315
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,880 Posts
    I wasn't able to code the last few days. Today I used your tips (VoiDeD and AzuiSleet) and now everything works as expected. Thank you once more.

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/3007/nsteamfriends.png
    Events and all work like a charm. Going to write a prototype trillian plugin dll the next few days before I polish the code and make it "safe" (now, it fails e.g. when I close steam or steam-friends and start it again).
    I also have to figure out, how to avoid the "One or more Steam Applications are running"-Error when I try to shutdown steam. Maybe also event based.

36. Post #316
    Dragon Member
    January 2006
    1,312 Posts
    http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/3007/nsteamfriends.png
    Not related to OSW really, but is that VS theme downloadable somewhere?

37. Post #317
    Dennab
    March 2009
    7 Posts
    Thanks guys.
    How can i increase a timeout for idler clients?

38. Post #318
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,880 Posts
    Not related to OSW really, but is that VS theme downloadable somewhere?
    You mean the syntaxhilighting? Because it's just Visual Studio 2008 Professional with modified visual style: Go to Extras/Preferences/Editor/Text coloring (I needed to translate this into English - It might be different).
    There you can chose the font and colors.

39. Post #319
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,332 Posts
    You mean the syntaxhilighting? Because it's just Visual Studio 2008 Professional with modified visual style: Go to Extras/Preferences/Editor/Text coloring (I needed to translate this into English - It might be different).
    There you can chose the font and colors.
    He means did you download it somewhere? If not give him your VS settings export

40. Post #320
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,880 Posts
    Well, I did not DL it anywhere (I made it myself). I did not even knew, there is a settings-export.

I'll export it later.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)