1. Post #1
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    25,745 Posts
    DERBY LINE, Vt. - For decades, the towns of Derby Line, Vt., and Stanstead, Quebec, have functioned as one community.

They share a sewer system, emergency services, snowplowing duties and the border-straddling Haskell Free Library and Opera House, where a skinny black line across the hardwood floor of the reading room marks the international border running through the property.

Work began Thursday, though, to erect of a pair of 5-foot-tall steel gates across two previously unguarded residential streets a project that is dividing the towns physically but uniting them in displeasure.

Border authorities call the gates a necessary evil to stem smuggling and illegal alien crossings. Locals say there's enough security surveillance cameras and patrols by U.S. Customs and Border Protection as it is.

"I've always considered Derby and Stanstead like brother and sister," said Mary O'Donnell, 57, of Stanstead, walking into the library to use a computer Friday. "We've always been on friendly terms. Now, suddenly, 9/11 hits and everybody in the U.S. freaks out. So we're now going to get some really ugly things at the end of the streets that I don't think is going to serve much of a purpose."

Smuggling route?
    The remote-controlled steel gates, which are in the process of being installed, will open for emergency vehicles, border agents and snow plows, but they will cut off automotive access by civilians on Phelps and Lee streets, which run perpendicular to the border.

"Over the years, we've noted that criminal smuggling organizations are bringing people in from all over the world to use those roads in the Derby Line area to smuggle people into the U.S. from Canada," said Mark Henry, operations officer for the U.S. Border Patrol. "People are also using those roads to smuggle people into Canada from the U.S."

Many who are caught smuggling aliens across the border using the streets have been found to be in possession of maps downloaded from the Internet showing the layout, officials say.

Last month, an alleged con man who had confounded authorities all over the world was caught here. Juan Guzman-Betancourt told the Border Patrol he had unknowingly walked across the border into Vermont from Canada after his car broke down.

But by then, plans were already in the works for the gates, which will hang from two granite-faced steel posts on either side of the roadways.

One gate is being paid for by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, the other by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. They'll be maintained by both countries.

Splitting the community
    Locals don't question the need for border security.

"The USA has the right to take the measures, as a sovereign state has the right to take the measures it deems necessary to protect its borders and its people," said Andrew Preston, 70, of nearby Baldwin's Mills, Quebec. "But some of the fallout from that, unfortunately, is that it harms communities like these," said Preston, who was using the library Friday.

It's the psychological impact of tightened security that bothers some.

"We really don't consider the border a border," said drugstore owner Roland Roy, who sits on the three-member board of trustees for the Village of Derby Line. "We consider the village as all one. These gates split the community."
    Two existing border crossings one on Route 5 in Derby Line, another along Interstate 91 handle most of the international traffic. The unguarded streets are used primarily by locals, many of them familiar faces to the border authorities.

For now, Church Street which runs parallel to the others and leads to the front door of the Haskell Free Library will remain unguarded, and with no gate.

"Church Street is unguarded, but that doesn't mean it's unwatched or unpatrolled," Henry said. "If we see there's a problem, we'll see what we have to do about it."
    Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33145600...news-security/

As an American, I like Canadians. They're our brothers in the north.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    August 2009
    1,383 Posts
    But I like my weed from Canada

Should just hide weed in the snow plows
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    541 Posts
    Nothing can separate me from my little crab Arc Nova
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,408 Posts
    What an ass move. At the very least they could just build around the town rather than through it. It must suck to have you community literally divided.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    541 Posts
    And my little trout hybrid theory

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    42,018 Posts
    Why don't they just build the gate on the edge of town? Kind of artificially "move" the border so the town doesn't straddle it. EDIT: Oh, looks like I'm late.

Oh right, governments can't use logic.

But I like my weed from Canada

Should just hide weed in the snow plows
    What do you think Zambonis are filled with? Do you honestly believe they have to be that large to function?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    541 Posts
    And my commie Chippay

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,408 Posts
    What if someone wants to go to the Market, but it's across the border? Seriously. It's just gonna be a nuisance to the residence.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

9. Post #9
    August 2009
    1,383 Posts
    What do you think Zambonis are filled with? Do you honestly believe they have to be that large to function?
    You don't need weed to polish a skating ring

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    42,018 Posts
    What if someone wants to go to the Market, but it's across the border? Seriously. It's just gonna be a nuisance to the residence.
    I'm sorry, you can't bring those items across the border sir. You're going to have to eat them in the supermarket.

Edited:

You don't need weed to polish a skating ring
    You need weed to endure having to drive one of those slow fucks though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    25,745 Posts
    What an ass move. At the very least they could just build around the town rather than through it. It must suck to have you community literally divided.
    Because it will end up with an arguement over which side to build the town around, basically deciding, "Will this town be an American or Canadian town?". And if they actually do decide, then the people there will most likely have to change their citizenship.

Edited:

I'm sorry, you can't bring those items across the border sir. You're going to have to eat them in the supermarket.
    "Sorry, but we don't accept Canadian money on this side anymore."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    42,018 Posts
    Because it will end up with an arguement over which side to build the town around, basically deciding, "Will this town be an American or Canadian town?". And if they actually do decide, then the people there will most likely have to change their citizenship.
    Put a border checkpoint on both sides and build the gate all the way around then.

"Sorry, but we don't accept Canadian money on this side anymore."
    This reminds me of those couple months where our dollar was more than yours. I bought so much shit online.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    1,545 Posts
    But, but, they are our hat!

And we are their shit-stained underwear
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    42,018 Posts

We're the head, you're the ass, Mexico is the toilet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,656 Posts
    Damn Frostbacks.

But seriously, Canada should just take over, they are better. (I'm half Canadian, half American)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    August 2009
    896 Posts
    Yeah keep those border hopping Canadians out...

wait what?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,282 Posts
    What the fuck?

Police State.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    42,018 Posts
    Damn Frostbacks.

But seriously, Canada should just take over, they are better. (I'm half Canadian, half American)
    Frostbacks is an awesome name, call us that more often
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,408 Posts
    What the fuck?

Police State.
    Oh shut up.

You guys yell "Police State" and "Conspiracy" every time something happens.

There was a town on the border with no physical barriers preventing people from crossing he border. So they built a couple of gates. That's it, the only real issue here is they just chose an idiotic spot to put those gates.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

20. Post #20
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    you guys

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,710 Posts

Canada's the hat, Alaska is the hat's backwards bill because we cool like that, America is the body, Florida is the penis, all southern states are the shit stained underwear and Mexico is the shoes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,253 Posts
    Canada's the hat, Alaska is the hat's backwards bill because we cool like that, America is the body, Florida is the penis, all southern states are the shit stained underwear and Mexico is the shoes.
    Can't be cool and have shit stained underwear.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,710 Posts
    Can't be cool and have shit stained underwear.
    You're crazy, shit stained underwear is the new thing. All the gangstas are doing it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    14,244 Posts
    skimmed through the article. When they saw they hope to stop illegal alien crossing, i hope they mean us Americans running into Canada. Canada is like......well shit it's Canada. It's a backwards USA where instead of everything being the wrong way round, it's the right way up.

Fuck that fence i'm going to Canada now.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,408 Posts
    California is our ass, Florida is our dick.

26. Post #26
    Cyberpunk Member
    August 2006
    3,535 Posts
    just hoppppp

27. Post #27
    February 2008
    1,321 Posts
    That's pretty awesome to live in a town that's half in each country.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,221 Posts
    Do those towns use miles or kilometers?

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,795 Posts
    The smugglers have recently posted their new secret weapon to breach the boarder security:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Certified Witch - Cutie Department
    April 2007
    14,095 Posts
    uhh why do we have to put gates on the north us border.

i never heard of illegal immigrants from canada before

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,795 Posts
    uhh why do we have to put gates on the north us border.

i never heard of illegal immigrants from canada before
    I think it's for drugs.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    42,018 Posts
    I think it's for drugs.
    But everyone loves Canada's drugs

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    3,710 Posts
    Is America really that bad if people illegally immigrate to Canada?

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    5,690 Posts
    What about that Mexican border? I thought that was the main issue. :confused:

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    215 Posts
    News posted:
    Many who are caught smuggling aliens across the border using the streets have been found to be in possession of maps downloaded from the Internet showing the layout, officials say.
    :sigh:

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,408 Posts
    Is America really that bad if people illegally immigrate to Canada?
    I think the problem is drug trafficking and fugitives.

37. Post #37
    May 2009
    84 Posts
    What the fuck, Americans are still making an issue over the Canadian weed. It only makes up 2 percent of the US weed.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,893 Posts
    Scorpious, do you just sit at your computer all day browsing news sites? Have the news threads are made by you.

39. Post #39
    July 2009
    853 Posts
    canadians don't border hop

canada isn't a shithole like mexico

40. Post #40
    January 2008
    152 Posts
    U.S-Canada border, keeping the teethless hockey-players and rather large Bible-smashers apart.

Seriously, what? Why do you even need a border there? Draw an imaginary line there and say this is where U.S. ends and this is where Canada starts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)