1. Post #1
    AUTISTIC DOTA WANKER
    June 2006
    7,361 Posts
    Source

A study of seven terminally ill patients found identical surges in brain activity moments before death, providing what may be physiological evidence of “out of body” experiences reported by people who survive near-death ordeals.

Doctors at George Washington University Medical Faculty Associates recorded brain activity of people dying from critical illnesses, such as cancer or heart attacks.

Moments before death, the patients experienced a burst in brain wave activity, with the spikes occurring at the same time before death and at comparable intensity and duration.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Late x 25Informative x 12Funny x 3Dumb x 2Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    7,239 Posts
    So you have a seizure before you die?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 58Funny Funny x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,333 Posts
    This is old news, we've known this for at least 10 years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 34Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    August 2009
    1,383 Posts
    :holy:It's the soul being sent to god:holy:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny x 127Agree x 12Dumb x 8Optimistic x 2Bad Reading x 1Informative x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    12,047 Posts
    So you have a seizure before you die?
    Nope the brain surges out DMT aswell, giving you the impression of an afterlife, the brain wave activity is just that, and i'm pretty sure its supposed to alter your perception of time aswell making it seems like its a full afterlife.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have just proved that heaven and hell exist in our heads alone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 36Agree Agree x 14Late Late x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    Nope the brain surges out DMT aswell, giving you the impression of an afterlife, the brain wave activity is just that, and i'm pretty sure its supposed to alter your perception of time aswell making it seems like its a full afterlife.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have just proved that heaven and hell exist in our heads alone.
    Science teabags Religion once more
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Dumb x 39Agree x 18Funny x 3Disagree x 2Optimistic x 1Useful x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    I guess you really do see your life before your eyes at death then.

Can't wait to see what I ate for breakfast this morning!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,333 Posts

What the hell are you talking about? There isn't any proof. There's just speculation and probability like there's always been, but no actual firsthand experience.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 38Dumb Dumb x 6Disagree Disagree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    USER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM REALITY - RETRY CONNECTION IN 5 MINUTES
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    This has been known forever. I saw a documentary on the near death experiences like 3 years ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

10. Post #10
    March 2009
    990 Posts
    Stop copy/pasting Derren Brown blogs!

They aren't news sources!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 17Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    12,047 Posts
    What the hell are you talking about? There isn't any proof. There's just speculation and probability like there's always been, but no actual firsthand experience.
    wiki posted:
    In the 1990s, Dr. Rick Strassman conducted research on the psychedelic drug Dimethyltryptamine (DMT) at the University of New Mexico. Strassman advanced the theory that a massive release of DMT from the pineal gland prior to death or near-death was the cause of the near-death experience phenomenon. Only two of his test subjects reported NDE-like aural or visual hallucinations, although many reported feeling as though they had entered a state similar to the classical NDE. His explanation for this was the possible lack of panic involved in the clinical setting and possible dosage differences between those administered and those encountered in actual NDE cases. All subjects in the study were also very experienced users of DMT and/or other psychedelic/entheogenic agents. Some speculators consider that if subjects without prior knowledge on the effects of DMT had been used during the experiment, it is possible more volunteers would have reported feeling as though they had experienced an NDE.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_de...s_and_theories

honestly, its pretty much concrete in my eyes that we have a massive dmt trip before death, and thats the where the whole "go into the light" thing and the afterlife came from
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    509 Posts
    I read something once that said they weighed bodies about four ounces lighter immediately following death. Feces and everything included.

Here's a theory I whipped up for this; "life" is a form of energy, like electricity or heat. If you could see it, it would be concentrated around planets or other dense areas of life. As you live, you absorb this energy and convert it into brainwaves/electricity by thinking, or mitosis. When you die, it is returned to the earth all at once. Like how your CPU turns electricity into heat as it processes.

Yes energy has mass, and maybe this life energy is relatively massive. Four ounces per human maybe?

Would explain telekinesis and the like. Some people might have the ability to manipulate this energy. [I don't believe in that shit though]

When the first proteins or whatever on earth started forming, they kind of drew in the life energy from the surrounding space. As the amount of life grew, so did the energy draw. Kind of like how a cloud of [star gas] pulls itself together with gravity to form a star. I think the energy could be randomly distributed throughout space, actively produced by the sun, or left over from the formation of the sun.

I highly doubt my own theory though.

Edit: Just looked back at this, stoned ramblings at 7 in the morning.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb x 10Funny x 5Friendly x 1Artistic x 1Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,593 Posts
    I read something once that said they weighed bodies about four ounces lighter immediately following death. Feces and everything included.

Here's a theory I whipped up for this; "life" is a form of energy, like electricity or heat. If you could see it, it would be concentrated around planets or other dense areas of life. As you live, you absorb this energy and convert it into brainwaves/electricity by thinking, or mitosis. When you die, it is returned to the earth all at once. Like how your CPU turns electricity into heat as it processes.

Yes energy has mass, and maybe this life energy is relatively massive. Four ounces per human maybe?

Would explain telekinesis and the like. Some people might have the ability to manipulate this energy. [I don't believe in that shit though]

When the first proteins or whatever on earth started forming, they kind of drew in the life energy from the surrounding space. As the amount of life grew, so did the energy draw. Kind of like how a cloud of [star gas] pulls itself together with gravity to form a star. I think the energy could be randomly distributed throughout space, actively produced by the sun, or left over from the formation of the sun.

I highly doubt my own theory though.

Edit: Just looked back at this, stoned ramblings at 7 in the morning.
    Like the Final Fantasy 7 Lifestream?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,693 Posts
    They're ascending! :buddy:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    November 2007
    1,218 Posts
    Do you really shit yourself when you die?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    3,995 Posts
    Defense mechanism I'd say, send the consciousness far away the moment you die so you don't feel the body shutting down (which I can only assume is really fucking horrible).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 14Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    August 2009
    1,383 Posts
    Defense mechanism I'd say, send the consciousness far away the moment you die so you don't feel the body shutting down (which I can only assume is really fucking horrible).
    If that is true, I wonder how that evolved
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

18. Post #18
    March 2009
    990 Posts
    I hope thats true.

I doubt it though, as pain functions as a method of alerting the body it's receiving damage, so to block that sense would seem counter-productive.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member

November 2005
    11,757 Posts
    When we die, we cease to exist, we won't be alive to worry about being in heaven or hell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    March 2009
    990 Posts
    When we die, we cease to exist, we won't be alive to worry about being in heaven or hell.
    No one mentioned heaven or hell.

Your post also reminded me of a Monty Python sketch, hehe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member

November 2005
    11,757 Posts
    No one mentioned heaven or hell.

Your post also reminded me of a Monty Python sketch, hehe.
    When you're chewing on life's gristle...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,574 Posts
    ... Just make a whistle!

23. Post #23
    March 2009
    990 Posts
    The parrot sketch, or is it budgie...

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,574 Posts
    The parrot sketch, or is it budgie...
    You've never seen Life of Brian, have you.

25. Post #25
    March 2009
    3,725 Posts
    Seeing as the majority of facepunch is 14 or younger, I would presume that was well before his time.

26. Post #26
    March 2009
    990 Posts
    Yess!

I know that was always look on the bright side, but his post reminded me of the sketch with the dead budgie.

Edited:

Seeing as the majority of facepunch is 14 or younger, I would presume that was well before his time.
    I'm 22.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    August 2009
    3,013 Posts
    God dunnit

28. Post #28
    September 2009
    1,584 Posts
    all your minds are belong to us

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    3,995 Posts
    If that is true, I wonder how that evolved
    Good point.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    10,890 Posts
    Probably the brain shitting itself knowing that times up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member

November 2005
    11,757 Posts
    Yess!

I know that was always look on the bright side, but his post reminded me of the sketch with the dead budgie.

Edited:

I'm 22.
    Life's a piece of shit, when you look at it, life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's truem you'll see it's all a show, eep 'em laughing as you go, just remember that the last laugh is on you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    8,187 Posts
    :ohdear:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    509 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    10,326 Posts
    Probably the brain realising it is shutting down so it attempts to give the body one final neural surge or something, like trying to start a car that runs out of fuel, it can sometimes work

Edited:

I doubt the brain does that, it doesn't know what sympathy is, it's just a logical organ.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    6,406 Posts
    Perhaps the increased brain activity is just a side effect of the spirit ascending to "the other plane"...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    1,839 Posts
    Well der, your life flashes before you...

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,614 Posts
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_de...s_and_theories

honestly, its pretty much concrete in my eyes that we have a massive dmt trip before death, and thats the where the whole "go into the light" thing and the afterlife came from
    I'd like you to explain why some people who don't believe in hell seem to believe they're descending into it just before they die. Of course, they're just hallucinating about something they had no fear of...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    March 2009
    3,725 Posts
    Perhaps the increased brain activity is just a side effect of the spirit ascending to "the other plane"...
    So what happens to those who get their heads smashed or brains blown out with a shotgun?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Late Late x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member

November 2005
    11,757 Posts
    So what happens to those who get their heads smashed or brains blown out with a shotgun?
    The brain knows it's coming.

Did you know that your brain can predict what's going to happen in the next 42 Minutes and 42 seconds?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    March 2009
    3,725 Posts
    42 Minutes and 42 seconds?
    Its alright, Dont Panic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)