1. Post #81
    July 2007
    1,002 Posts
    Excellent news, people! Due to a completely random occurence, I managed to get all my video editing gear back up and working FLAWLESSLY and even FASTER THAN BEFORE (it's amazing). I've made a second teaser to make up for the ten-days delay
    Wow that's excellent news, glad to hear it all got sorted out.

Now go go go.

2. Post #82
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,384 Posts
    Max, you got alot of tricks up your sleeves, from your rendering method, to the way you film, and your style, I wouldn't be surprised if you were a day early and not 10 days late.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #83
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    The Overtime Update, week #1

EDIT: THE WEBSITE HAS BEEN UPDATED, TAKE A LOOK IF YOU WISH TO

4. Post #84
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    God damn, I'm raping the Source Engine right now - 8 frames per second, yay me.

(potential spoiler, so click here: http://twitpic.com/u7zmd/full)

If I work as hard on the movie as I did today, it MIGHT be out on Tuesday

5. Post #85
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,454 Posts
    God damn, I'm raping the Source Engine right now - 8 frames per second, yay me.

(potential spoiler, so click here: http://twitpic.com/u7zmd/full)

If I work as hard on the movie as I did today, it MIGHT be out on Tuesday
    You're making some good progress.
    I'd pay a few bucks to see this 'movie' probably, it looks really good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #86
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    The Overtime Update: the end is near

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply France Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #87
    November 2008
    95 Posts
    Looks absolutely amazing!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #88
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    I'm in vacation, away from my beefy editing workstation until Sunday; however, you guys (and gals?) can definitely expect a release on the 30th/31st. I have almost filmed everything, Chapter 8 is halfway edited.

I regret not having discovered the wonders of HLMV earlier; it opens a lot of possibilities and makes stuff much more flexible for one-man-teams (such as me).

9. Post #89
    July 2008
    1,332 Posts
    Can't wait!

10. Post #90
    April 2008
    449 Posts
    I'm in vacation, away from my beefy editing workstation until Sunday; however, you guys (and gals?) can definitely expect a release on the 30th/31st. I have almost filmed everything, Chapter 8 is halfway edited.

I regret not having discovered the wonders of HLMV earlier; it opens a lot of possibilities and makes stuff much more flexible for one-man-teams (such as me).
    What's HLMV?

11. Post #91
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    What's HLMV?
    The SDK Model Viewer. I've managed to force 32xS antialiasing in it, so I can film stuff in it, then chroma key it straight in Vegas. I just gotta figure out how to play custom stuff, but I guess I need to recompile scenes.image for that.

12. Post #92
    September 2009
    1,258 Posts
    In the first trailer (Gun to head blam stuff)

There's a brick in the sink...

13. Post #93
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,384 Posts
    The SDK Model Viewer. I've managed to force 32xS antialiasing in it, so I can film stuff in it, then chroma key it straight in Vegas. I just gotta figure out how to play custom stuff, but I guess I need to recompile scenes.image for that.
    yeah the 32xs AA is interesting setting to film in.

14. Post #94
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    In the first trailer (Gun to head blam stuff)

There's a brick in the sink...
    Yeah, I know :)

I tried to use the cement block thing (weld it to a ragdoll limb) for a few things in the first chapter, but I eventually gave up. Since the "gun to head BLAM" pose is AWFUL (but you might not see that, I cropped that a lot in the full movie), it's more or less of a wink to our friends over there in the Screenshots section.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply France Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #95
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    The movie's done. And rendering. Heck yes.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply France Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

16. Post #96
    September 2007
    1,113 Posts
    I havent heard from this in a while. I'm glad to see its not dead yet.

17. Post #97
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    DOWNLOAD LINK: http://www.mininova.org/tor/3189995

Online streaming versions are being created as we speak, too

18. Post #98
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    Everything's released, enjoy it while you can, guys & gals

19. Post #99
    May 2009
    759 Posts
    Words can not describe how fucking awesome this is!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #100
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    1,683 Posts
    Just finished watching, great work.
    amazing.

21. Post #101
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    7,431 Posts
    So, what map is used in the bridge part in the first episode?

Great work, nonetheless.

22. Post #102
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    So, what map is used in the bridge part in the first episode?

Great work, nonetheless.
    http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=4128

23. Post #103
    September 2007
    1,113 Posts
    Ah dm_bridge such an old yet amazingly great map.

24. Post #104
    August 2009
    283 Posts
    Just finished watching it and...

Pros

-Great Visuals
    -Good voice acting
    -Parts have amazing editing almost feeling as if this was not made in a game.

Cons

-Voices at times, become distorted over the music and/or the shaky ghost talk
    -Found some parts to be boring and/or long
    -Parts and/or characters in the movie seemed unneeded.

Overall 7/10, it's good but was not really to my liking. I feel as if you spent much time on it yet, parts felt drowned out and some characters unneeded, at times I felt as if the only real kick to the movie itself was that it was half a hour long.

I was really biting myself in the ass over posting this, I didn't want to feel like a jerk but I just felt that this didn't live up to what it was suppose to be.

Keep in mind this is my opinion and my opinion alone, so please do not flame me over it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

25. Post #105
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,318 Posts
    Just finished watching it and...

Pros

-Great Visuals
    XGood voice actingX
    -Parts have amazing editing almost feeling as if this was not made in a game.

Cons

XVoices at times, become distorted over the music and/or the shaky ghost talkX
    -Found some parts to be boring and/or long
    -Parts and/or characters in the movie seemed unneeded.

Overall 7/10, it's good but was not really to my liking. I feel as if you spent much time on it yet, parts felt drowned out and some characters unneeded, at times I felt as if the only real kick to the movie itself was that it was half a hour long.

I was really biting myself in the ass over posting this, I didn't want to feel like a jerk but I just felt that this didn't live up to what it was suppose to be.

Keep in mind this is my opinion and my opinion alone, so please do not flame me over it.
    I agree with some of this, except for the X'ed ones, but it's definitely over a 7/10.

However the voice acting was kind of meh in some places, but most of the time great.

And the voice distortions were cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #106
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    Yeah, I have to agree that some shots are really too long and boring, but that's the point of the movie (well, for me); keeping my old (boring!) style in the first half of the movie, and progressively trying out new techniques and ramping up the rythm from Chapter 5 until the end.

I'm never ever satisfied with what I'm doing, so I'm definitely agreeing with you here. Nothing's perfect, and my stuff even less
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply France Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #107
    August 2009
    283 Posts
    Yeah, I still liked the movie, and was entertaining for me. It was just some parts where mellowed out and and the voice acting was at times less then mediocre.

28. Post #108
    May 2009
    759 Posts
    10000000000000000000000000000000/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

29. Post #109
    May 2007
    63 Posts
    oh, Thanks for subtitles! I'm going to translate it.

10\10

30. Post #110

December 2009
    1 Posts
    Dude, in my book that was epic. You are defiantly too hard on yourself, but i suppose that comes as an occupational hazard eh?

On a side note this isnt your first "movie" is it?? cuz if it is I will literally crap myself

I really hope there is more to come :D
    And just to let you know, your an inspiration to me, I hope to make movies With Gmod sometime soon
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #111
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    Making-of (action scene, chapter 8)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply France Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

32. Post #112
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    1,683 Posts
    Are you going to put more of these making off things up? Really interesting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #113
    May 2009
    157 Posts
    Amazing!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #114
    December 2009
    103 Posts
    I really liked it. Let me make a pro-con chart for you.

Pros:
    --Editing was fantastic, at some points it did not feel like a garry's mod machinima.
    --Fantastic art direction. For example, around 14 minutes in, when the main character was in the shadow light and he had a huge shadow.
    --Nice choreography/cinematography. The animations looked lifelike, and you found ways to beat the Source Engine's limitations (When he picked the bullets up, you had an outside shot of him reaching for the table in the window)
    --The credit transition was awesome. I probably enjoy editing films more than I enjoy making them, and I really appreciated your transition to the ending credits, it was very stylish.

Cons:
    --At the beginning, static was heavily noticeable in the background when the voice actor talked. It cut in and out when he was talking. To be honest, I use my Rock Band mic for any voice acting I have, it has excellent recording quality.
    --Some of the Catmull-Rom cameras felt awkward with the constant zooming in and out (when he sees the door at gm_underworld, the camera is going wild)
    --The voice acting. Although it was well-written, almost all of the lines sounded droll and inexpressive. There were, however, a few lines that stuck out above the rest which I enjoyed.
    --Some scenes were dragged out. However, the fantastic visuals helped soften the impact of this issue.

I really liked this. It is a bold step towards actual movies being created in Garry's Mod. I can see the time you took to make it, and I appreciate that. Although it had a few problems here and there, mostly with pacing and cinematography, I really appreciate the effort you put into making it.

8/10.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

35. Post #115
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,512 Posts
    Excellent movie! I can't get this out of my head. What was monster sound at the third part on Youtube at 0:45 from? Nightmare Creatures from the PS1? I think it is but I would like some clarification. I seem to know a lot of old game sounds.

36. Post #116
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    Excellent movie! I can't get this out of my head. What was monster sound at the third part on Youtube at 0:45 from? Nightmare Creatures from the PS1? I think it is but I would like some clarification. I seem to know a lot of old game sounds.
    I have absolutely no idea. I find stuff in free sound libraries; and, I do remember playing a game called Nightmare Creatures on my PC a looong time ago, when it still had 32 megabytes of RAM. Well, who knows.

Edited:

--At the beginning, static was heavily noticeable in the background when the voice actor talked. It cut in and out when he was talking. To be honest, I use my Rock Band mic for any voice acting I have, it has excellent recording quality.

problems here and there, mostly with pacing
    - Yeah, I couldn't do a lot with it. I filtered it a lot (download the torrent, you'll get the original WAV file in two formats, you can check it out), and that's the max quality I could squeeze out of it.

- Among other smaller things, pacing is a thing I really have to improve on.

Edited:

Are you going to put more of these making off things up? Really interesting.
    Maybe, I've kept all the source files on my external HDD (around 50 gigabytes — luckily they're all losslessly compressed), so I might do some making-of videos. Any requests for a particular scene explanation?

(heck, maybe this movie will be useful for one thing; teaching stuff)

Edited:

--Nice choreography
    If you liked it, by the way, all the faceposer files are included in the download

Edited:

LITTLE CONTEST: THE FIRST PERSON WHO GIVES ME ALL THE APPEARANCES OF THE WANDERER (between the end of chapter two and the dialogue) WILL BE ABLE TO FORCE ME TO MAKE A 30-SECOND VIDEO ON ANY SUBJECT HE WOULD LIKE (excluding NSWF stuff)

Give me the timecodes on YouTube; example: "Part 1 - 1:37 ; Part 3 - 4:44"...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply France Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #117
    July 2008
    1,332 Posts
    That was awesome. Probobly what I loved about it the most was the amount of video fx you put in. makes it look sexeh

38. Post #118
    Gold Member

December 2006
    1,188 Posts
    I found the video entertaining, it kept my attention.

Some things I have to say about this is top notch editing! You really spiced it up. Your story line is nice, but a bit bland at parts. The voice acting is okay, but for the old man, you really should of gotten an older person to do it, to fit the character. Would have made it just that much more realistic. The voice acting was also a bit dull in a few places, I felt no expression.

I felt that the movie was a bit unfinished and somewhat patched together with top notch editing.

Storyline - 6
    Editing - 10
    Acting - 7
    Basic Idea - 9
    Overall - 8 You won't win any big awards with this, but it was enjoyable to watch.

Good work!

Note: This is a completely honest review, I don't want you to take me as a douche but this is my truthful opinion.

39. Post #119
    July 2009
    102 Posts
    Well this was really something. Its really amazing when someone really puts a real effort to make a little longer gmod machinima, its not easy. I think I loved your editing skills the most. It was really really nice and makes me want to start learning more too. But I didnt like the story, because it gave me headache, dont know why. And sadly I did not enjoy most of the music, what really was the whole point. It had something to do with the headache too.

If the story would have fit in my head, I'd give 10 to this, but when count in the headache factor, you still get solid 8.

This is still one of my favourite gmod videos. Did you use After Effects btw? Vegas only for the cut?

I hope I will more from you in the future, something, ommm, with a simple story : )

40. Post #120
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    This is still one of my favourite gmod videos. Did you use After Effects btw? Vegas only for the cut?
    After Effects was only used for the motion blur, everything else was done in Vegas