102 Posts
    Okay, V9 has useful new features? Im using V8 atm, thinking of upgrading it

2. Post #122
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    Okay, V9 has useful new features? Im using V8 atm, thinking of upgrading it
    Most of the basic postprocessing (everything that isn't color correction), such as vignetting, was done with the new features of Vegas Pro 9.

I'd say yes!

3. Post #123
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    1,997 Posts
    This was probably the best gmod video I've seen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #124
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    This was probably the best gmod video I've seen.
    I'm pretty sure there's better than that, look harder
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply France Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #125
    July 2008
    669 Posts
    I didnt find the story plot very interesting, it was alright but doesn't hook the viewers in. it was more of a 'show off my fx' thing, no offense. good voice acting and dialog though. as well as camera work to maintain the eerie feeling.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #126
    December 2009
    103 Posts
    I'm pretty sure there's better than that, look harder
    The most well-made video I've ever seen.

I felt the same way about Requiem for a Dream than I did about this - It wasn't that the movie was enjoyable to watch (Requiem was not enjoyable simply because of how depressing and brutally graphic it was), it was that the movie was so incredibly well-made that you HAD to give it credit and enjoy it.

Edit:
    For anyone who hasn't seen Requiem for a Dream (You HAVE heard the theme song), watch it. It's fantastic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #127
    September 2009
    1,783 Posts
    execellent
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #128
    July 2008
    1,332 Posts
    Yes I agree this video was very execellent

9. Post #129
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    2,045 Posts
    Definitely great work, loved the Ghosts album. Looks like you put a lot of work into creating this, well done.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #130
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts

I received the visit of someone this evening!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply France Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #131
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,384 Posts
    Your french accent! WHERE HAS IT GONE!

Also you look like me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #132
    August 2009
    84 Posts
    The voice acting sounded perfect to me for a character who just suicided, apathetic with alittle sarcasm.

Your talent for effects... oh my.

Have you ever had compatiability issues with Vegas Pro? Can you export video in 16:10? I'm using Adobe Premiere and it's giving me all sorts of issues, wondering if it's worth using Vegas.

Just a trivial question, how much total memory do you have and how much is occupied? I'm at around 800GB used/1.9TB total(mostly Fraps video I'm never going to use).

13. Post #133
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    60GB for the whole Ghosts folder, I had everything losslessly compressed.

14. Post #134
    November 2009
    3 Posts
    60GB for the whole Ghosts folder, I had everything losslessly compressed.
    The torrent download is amazing. Could I really use the .VCDs provided in the download?

15. Post #135
    February 2009
    1,488 Posts
    Very impressive. The video has a 1980s horror movie feel to it. loved the effects, loved them! What program you use to implement them into your video? Furthermore with the first video you create a very well set up warm/creepy feeling I loved with the cabin and all that. Hard to explain but you made the cabin feel warm. This video makes me wonder about after you die, that's a good thing. Lastly, you goth?

16. Post #136
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    Very impressive. The video has a 1980s horror movie feel to it. loved the effects, loved them! What program you use to implement them into your video?
    Sony Vegas Pro 9.0b for everything, except the motion blur, done in After Effects with Reelsmart.

Lastly, you goth?
    I'm not goth, I'm not emo, I'm probably just a bit pessimistic.

Edited:

Oh, and, I don't remember who requested that, but here's the list of the files (around 50 gigabytes total)

(click on each image to zoom in)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply France Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

17. Post #137

April 2009
    38 Posts
    You're a hella good scriptwriter, editor, and movie maker.
    At your age, hell, you're going to to be famous. (that's if you go serious and do some real movies)
    Great movie, 5/5.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Philippines Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #138
    March 2009
    413 Posts
    pretty good i say :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #139
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,384 Posts
    Maxime hurry up and make your next movie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #140
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    5,224 Posts
    Yeah remember watching this not to long ago. Really well made and enjoyed it.

I tip my hat to you Max ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #141
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    Good news everyone

Ghosts is going to be broadcasted on a French over-IP television channel (and not a small / insignificant one either: roughly one quarter of the country has access to it) on Monday 29th, around 7.30pm (after all the regular shows are over).

I'm currently re-editing the master (good thing I kept all the files) to add French subtitles, the "rating" (not recommended for age 10 and below), and all the other stuff required by our local variant of the FCC (if I'm not mistaken).

Thanks to everyone here, on Facepunch, for making that feat possible :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply France Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #142
    December 2008
    1,177 Posts
    Good news everyone

Ghosts is going to be broadcasted on a French over-IP television channel (and not a small / insignificant one either: roughly one quarter of the country has access to it) on Monday 29th, around 7.30pm (after all the regular shows are over).

I'm currently re-editing the master (good thing I kept all the files) to add French subtitles, the "rating" (not recommended for age 10 and below), and all the other stuff required by our local variant of the FCC (if I'm not mistaken).

Thanks to everyone here, on Facepunch, for making that feat possible :)
    Wow that's awesome. How'd you get it on the channel? Did someone contact you? Anyways, I'm surprised you didn't need to personally get the rights to the soundtrack from NIN

23. Post #143
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,384 Posts
    Hes french, they all stick together...

24. Post #144
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    There's no need to have the rights to the soundtrack as it's licensed under Creative Commons BY NC SA, and these three are respected (there are no ads on the channel)

25. Post #145
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,384 Posts
    also fair use, dont forget fair use.

26. Post #146
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    also fair use, dont forget fair use.
    I can tell you're American

Fair use only exists in your country, man

27. Post #147
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,384 Posts
    i can tell you're american

fair use only exists in your country, man
    viva el america revolution

28. Post #148
    NO MOTIVATION TO DO ANYTHING
    March 2009
    3,319 Posts
    This was amazing

29. Post #149
    March 2010
    3,684 Posts
    Epic, but the storyline was not too prominent. This was more of a "My use of effects and post-processing beats yours" kind of movie. It's all too obvious because you're flying the camera everywhere for the first half of the movie, then it gets into the story again, which was confusing and not fully explained. I said "Ok, what the hell is going on?" often. The first part was just him walking through a bunch of worlds, then he meets a guy, then all of a sudden he's running from monsters or whatever those were. You left us too much to infer, and you could have done a MUCH better job explaining what was happening in the story.

However I must say, your use of effects and cinematics was very admirable. The color correction was flawless, and the ending was phenomenal. The voice acting was also a plus. The ingame effects combined with post processing was amazing. The opening and ending sequences seemed professional.

Bottom line: This movie had great effects and angling, but it didn't seem to focus on the storyline, and I think that is what you intended it to be. Try to focus on the story a little more, and have more hints about what's going on!

7/10.

Oh, also, subscribed, because you're capable of great movies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #150
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,384 Posts
    Maxime was trying to go for a "fever dream" is what he calls it, its sort of to be alittle "wtf" but also interpretation

31. Post #151
    March 2010
    3,684 Posts
    Maxime was trying to go for a "fever dream" is what he calls it, its sort of to be alittle "wtf" but also interpretation
    I, um, see.

My motto is "if you're going to even have a storyline try to focus on it" but the storyline apparently was not what he was aiming for. I'm not changing my rating, because personally, I enjoy movies that focus on the story, and I'm sure others do too.

Max should make a movie that DOES focus on the storyline, I would love to see it.

32. Post #152
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,384 Posts
    I, um, see.

My motto is "if you're going to even have a storyline try to focus on it" but the storyline apparently was not what he was aiming for. I'm not changing my rating, because personally, I enjoy movies that focus on the story, and I'm sure others do too.

Max should make a movie that DOES focus on the storyline, I would love to see it.
    he has a series that is heavily story orientated

33. Post #153
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    Epic, but the storyline was not too prominent. This was more of a "My use of effects and post-processing beats yours" kind of movie. It's all too obvious because you're flying the camera everywhere for the first half of the movie, then it gets into the story again, which was confusing and not fully explained. I said "Ok, what the hell is going on?" often. The first part was just him walking through a bunch of worlds, then he meets a guy, then all of a sudden he's running from monsters or whatever those were. You left us too much to infer, and you could have done a MUCH better job explaining what was happening in the story.

However I must say, your use of effects and cinematics was very admirable. The color correction was flawless, and the ending was phenomenal. The voice acting was also a plus. The ingame effects combined with post processing was amazing. The opening and ending sequences seemed professional.

Bottom line: This movie had great effects and angling, but it didn't seem to focus on the storyline, and I think that is what you intended it to be. Try to focus on the story a little more, and have more hints about what's going on!

7/10.

Edited:

I agree with you; I'm putting all the technical stuff I learned into a HL2-related, story-oriented movie, at the moment.

34. Post #154
    February 2009
    1,488 Posts

7/10.

I agree, effects were great, story wasn't. There was a lot of camera moving and my roomate said the camera tracking made him feel sick. If this were a real movie it would obviously be highly unsuccessful due to the lack of story and a lot of it was a little bit dry aside from some of the awesome visuals. For a GMOD movie, it's one of the favorites here on FP. As I seen the beginning of this came pretty close to looking like a real movie (aside from the GMOD graphics) Any chance we'll see some real fighting or action in your future movies, Max? I know the running around camera swaying, dialogue is your thing. I'm interested in seeing how you handle some intense shit, though. I want to see car crashes, people doing flips, helicopters being taking down by cars, I want to see friggin Die Hard in Gmod.

35. Post #155
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    I'm not going to do a B action movie, but what's coming next shall be much more interesting and accessible than Ghosts is.

By the way, I got interviewed by the biggest french machinima community about Ghosts, I'll translate the interview and put it up here for anyone who wants to waste time reading it

36. Post #156
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    Aaaaand here it is

http://maxofs2d.cafegaming.fr/?post/...2/Ghosts-on-TV

Edited:

Oh god damn it automerge failed

37. Post #157
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,384 Posts
    there is a french machinma community?

38. Post #158
    February 2009
    1,488 Posts
    Die Hard isn't a B action movie, it's about as good as Terminator 2 and Rambo but I see what you mean. What is going to make this one better than GHOSTS, though? Did you have anything new in mind for it that you would like to share?

39. Post #159
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,384 Posts
    wait he insulted die hard.. MAXIME!

40. Post #160
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,714 Posts
    Die Hard isn't a B action movie, it's about as good as Terminator 2 and Rambo but I see what you mean. What is going to make this one better than GHOSTS, though? Did you have anything new in mind for it that you would like to share?
    what's going to make it better is that there won't be cameras flying around randomly for 50 seconds straight