1. Post #1
    March 2008
    1,205 Posts
    I'm planning on meeting this guy on thursday to buy an iPhone off of him. I'm pretty sure it's unlocked, but I plan on using it purely as an iPod touch but with a camera and mic. I don't remember the generation or size, I just asked again, but I think it was an 8gb 1st gen.

I'm giving him a used (and in rather shitty shape) iPod nanochromatic 8gb, SE2300 Wireless headphones, and $100 cash. He had it listed for $135. I never use the headphones as I have a better pair, and the iPod I was trying to sell\trade off anyways.

I'll update this if I was wrong about it being an 8gb 1st gen, but if it is, am I getting a decent deal? He didn't say if there was any cosmetic damage, I'm expecting the back to be scratched up a bit, but I'll just get a cheap case for that. I'll also bring a battery powered iPod charger just in case there's something up with the thing itself and he tries to hide it by having the battery drained.

2. Post #2
    July 2009
    224 Posts
    I say you go through with it.

3. Post #3
    Ban me if I have a NWS avatar
    January 2006
    600 Posts
    You're going to give him all that for a 1G iPhone? I say don't do it, that's not a fair trade at all. iPhone 1G is pretty old now, there's 2 newer models already, and I bet it's not in great condition either.

The iPhone's worth is as it states in the name: the fact that it's a phone. If you're not going to use that, don't bother. Sell those things and buy an iPod Touch instead; they're much faster, slimmer and generally nicer than an iPhone (the 1G at least). And who cares about the camera? It's terrible, and here's proof: http://www.globalnerdy.com/2009/01/1...eresting-shot/.

4. Post #4
    March 2008
    1,205 Posts
    You're going to give him all that for a 1G iPhone? I say don't do it, that's not a fair trade at all. iPhone 1G is pretty old now, there's 2 newer models already, and I bet it's not in great condition either.

The iPhone's worth is as it states in the name: the fact that it's a phone. If you're not going to use that, don't bother. Sell those things and buy an iPod Touch instead; they're much faster, slimmer and generally nicer than an iPhone (the 1G at least). And who cares about the camera? It's terrible, and here's proof: http://www.globalnerdy.com/2009/01/1...eresting-shot/.
    ANY camera phone is going to be poorly made, and if you use it for pictures of places and people that DON'T have rapidly moving parts, it will be fine.

The reason I'm doing this is mainly because I cannot sell the iPod, or the headphones, I've asked friends to ask people, put up signs, used craigslist, nobody wants to buy them, then this guy sent me a text saying he'd trade his iphone for it.

As for the slimness, I really don't care if it's a little bulkier as long as it works. As far as I know, there aren't too many apps that are 2g only, and I plan on jailbreaking it and using the skype app to make calls if possible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    2,774 Posts

- Unlocked iPhone 1G's go as high as 600 dollars in value. I'd say this is a good deal.
    - The camera is decent enough. It sure as hell beats not having one at all (AKA iPod Touch)
    - You get a microphone for the iPod Touch too, for the apps that utilize one.

However, I thought the iPod and internet functions of the iPhone were disabled if it didn't get activated? Might want to double check that.

6. Post #6
    March 2008
    1,205 Posts
    - Unlocked iPhone 1G's go as high as 600 dollars in value. I'd say this is a good deal.
    - The camera is decent enough. It sure as hell beats not having one at all (AKA iPod Touch)
    - You get a microphone for the iPod Touch too, for the apps that utilize one.

However, I thought the iPod and internet functions of the iPhone were disabled if it didn't get activated? Might want to double check that.
    I don't see why it wouldn't work, but can anybody confirm if this is true or not...?

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    2,774 Posts
    Confirmed, it's apparently locked when the iPhone isn't activated or is SIM-less.

However,
    http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&rl...G=Search&meta=

Countless entries on hacks that allow you to use these features without activation. I think just jailbreaking it probably allows you to do things without activating, anyway.

8. Post #8
    March 2008
    1,205 Posts
    Hmm, the first link says:
    "Update: An anonymous tipster is reporting that the iPhone may only need to be activated once for the iPod (and other features) to work; continuous service isn't necessary after that -- unless you want to use it as a phone and data device, of course."

I'm thinking of just calling Apple and asking.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    2,774 Posts
    Hmm, the first link says:
    "Update: An anonymous tipster is reporting that the iPhone may only need to be activated once for the iPod (and other features) to work; continuous service isn't necessary after that -- unless you want to use it as a phone and data device, of course."

I'm thinking of just calling Apple and asking.
    I had to activate my iPhone every time I did a complete wipe/start-over. But it doesn't bitch when I jailbreak, so that's probably the antidote for this problem.

10. Post #10
    March 2008
    1,205 Posts
    I had to activate my iPhone every time I did a complete wipe/start-over. But it doesn't bitch when I jailbreak, so that's probably the antidote for this problem.
    Don't suppose you can de-activate it again and see if everything but the phone works can you :buddy:

In all seriousness, I'm gonna just call apple, say I'm buying a used iPhone, and ask if I can use all of the other features seeing as how I'm on another provider for my cell, and only want to use it as an iPod.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    2,774 Posts
    Don't suppose you can de-activate it again and see if everything but the phone works can you :buddy:

In all seriousness, I'm gonna just call apple, say I'm buying a used iPhone, and ask if I can use all of the other features seeing as how I'm on another provider for my cell, and only want to use it as an iPod.
    Meh, whilst posting in this thread, I was actually backing up my iPhone so I could update the firmware with Jailbreak, so I just wiped it and jailbroke it. It didn't bitch about needing to activate, but I'd imagine that's because I have a SIM card in this thing. If you lack a SIM card, I bet it would probably bitch about activation.

12. Post #12
    March 2008
    1,205 Posts
    Yeah, I don't have a SIM card, and I doubt he'd be giving me his...

I can always ask him to take the SIM card out and tell me if it works.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    2,774 Posts
    Still, there are many hacks that bypass the need for a SIM card anyway.

14. Post #14
    March 2008
    1,205 Posts
    Hate to ask for for another thing, but could you pull your SIM card out and tell me if it still works minus the phone parts?

If it does I don't see why the one I'm buying wouldn't as long as he was activated on AT&T...

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    2,774 Posts
    Hate to ask for for another thing, but could you pull your SIM card out and tell me if it still works minus the phone parts?

If it does I don't see why the one I'm buying wouldn't as long as he was activated on AT&T...
    Yep, give me a second.

Edited:

Hmm, it just says No SIM in the top left, on the status bar, but I can still access the iPod and everything just fine.

Yeah, I'm guessing you'll only need to activate if you completely wipe, and only once. Even then, there are still hacks that bypass this anyway.

16. Post #16
    March 2008
    1,205 Posts
    Thanks.

Only problem is, now he's saying that starting today the phone won't hold a charge, or charge up. I told him that I'll give him my iPod and headphones for it still and try to fix it myself.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    2,774 Posts
    Thanks.

Only problem is, now he's saying that starting today the phone won't hold a charge, or charge up. I told him that I'll give him my iPod and headphones for it still and try to fix it myself.
    Eh, don't bother trying to fix it yourself. If it won't hold a charge, then it's obviously in too bad of a shape. Don't go for it.

18. Post #18
    March 2008
    1,205 Posts
    My old teacher is an apple certified repair guy, so he can probably fix it for me pretty cheap. If not, I can always just re-sell it. I use my phone as a music player now, so I don't need the iPod I'm giving him (got it for free anyways), and I never use the wireless headphones because I have a better pair anyways.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    2,774 Posts
    Alright, but if I were you, I'd make him let me try and fix it before I buy it. The fact that it's basically nonfunctional is probably why he's giving it to you for so cheap.

20. Post #20
    March 2008
    1,205 Posts
    I was thinking that something like, I might just give him my address and number and shit to assure him I won't just jack it if he'd be willing to do it. Problem is, he'd drive an hour and a half to me and back, and then he'd have to come back to get it if I can't. If it works I can always just send payment in the mail though.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    2,774 Posts
    I was thinking that something like, I might just give him my address and number and shit to assure him I won't just jack it if he'd be willing to do it. Problem is, he'd drive an hour and a half to me and back, and then he'd have to come back to get it if I can't. If it works I can always just send payment in the mail though.
    Oh, it's that far, huh? That does make things a lot more difficult. :/

22. Post #22
    March 2008
    1,205 Posts
    He said he's just going to send it in instead of driving just for the stuff, but when he gets it back he'll still take my offer. I'm guessing he's either telling the truth, or got a better offer and doesn't want to just say it.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    2,774 Posts
    It's one of those cases that sound too good to be true.

You either don't risk it and never find out, but life with the guilt of knowing that the possibility of it being true exists.

Or you risk it and one of two things happen: You either get royally fucked over or you get a great deal on something.

If he's simply willing to send it without you giving him anything, then why the hell not.

24. Post #24
    March 2008
    1,205 Posts
    By send it in I meant send it into apple to get it fixed. So he might never get back to me because somebody else made a better offer, or he will get back to me because he's telling the truth.

Though I don't see why he'd lie if he got a better deal, it isn't like he knows me personally and doesn't want to feel bad about it, if I were him and I got a better offer I'd just tell the other person.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    2,774 Posts
    By send it in I meant send it into apple to get it fixed. So he might never get back to me because somebody else made a better offer, or he will get back to me because he's telling the truth.

Though I don't see why he'd lie if he got a better deal, it isn't like he knows me personally and doesn't want to feel bad about it, if I were him and I got a better offer I'd just tell the other person.
    Make sure that he fully restores it with iTunes before sending it in. If Apple even sniffs jailbreak on that device, they'll deny service.

26. Post #26
    March 2008
    1,205 Posts
    Make sure that he fully restores it with iTunes before sending it in. If Apple even sniffs jailbreak on that device, they'll deny service.
    I don't see why he's sending it in really, if it's 1g there's no way it's still under warranty so he'd have to pay, and he only wants to send it in because I said that if it's broken I won't give him the $100 cash, just the ipod+headphones which are worth $150+.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    2,774 Posts
    I don't see why he's sending it in really, if it's 1g there's no way it's still under warranty so he'd have to pay, and he only wants to send it in because I said that if it's broken I won't give him the $100 cash, just the ipod+headphones which are worth $150+.
    I say you try to find somebody willing to do the same deal with an iPod touch and go for it.

28. Post #28
    March 2008
    1,205 Posts
    I've actually emailed\called\texted everybody that has an iPod touch listed on craigslist.

The main issue is that craigslist has Sedona (where I am) and Flagstaff (45+ minutes away) in the same category, and people don't want to drive 2 hours, and I don't have my license so I can't go up to them.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    2,774 Posts
    For how much would you buy a practically new iPod touch 1G?

30. Post #30
    March 2008
    1,205 Posts
    Depends on the size. I normally look at the refurb price and knock about $20 from that because it's used and not refurbed.

Don't want to spend more then about $100 plus my iPod\headphones, $150 if I can sell them.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    2,774 Posts
    depends on the size. I normally look at the refurb price and knock about $20 from that because it's used and not refurbed.

Don't want to spend more then about $100 plus my ipod\headphones, $150 if i can sell them.
    8gb.

32. Post #32
    March 2008
    1,205 Posts
    Well, a refurbed 2nd gen is $150, so probably around $120 just cash, or $100 with the stuff I have.

I'm guessing you have one\know somebody who wants to sell one...?

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    2,774 Posts
    I might have one lying around. Personally, I'd give it away to you for free, but it belongs to my dad. He has a 2nd Gen 32GB, so I doubt he minds if I try to sell his 1G 8GB.

34. Post #34
    March 2008
    1,205 Posts
    As long as it's in good condition I'm sure we can work something out.

You think we should take this off of the forum and onto steam or something?

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    2,774 Posts
    As long as it's in good condition I'm sure we can work something out.

You think we should take this off of the forum and onto steam or something?
    No, it's not against the rules.

Also, I don't even know if I still have it around here. I'm going to ask my dad, but it's 1 in the morning right now, so I'll ask him tomorrow and I'll post the results.

36. Post #36
    March 2008
    1,205 Posts
    I don't mean for rules, I just meant to make it easier for us to talk.

Also, how would we do this if it's ok with your dad? I don't have a paypal or anything so the only way is to send a money order or just straight cash. And no offense, but I wouldn't really want to just send it without any confirmation that somethings coming to me. Nothing against you personally, but I got scammed on eBay a while back and just don't really like dealing online hence only using craigslist...

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    2,774 Posts
    Yeah I get what you mean. Not sure how that problem can be resolved.

38. Post #38
    March 2008
    1,205 Posts
    You want to just talk it over on steam? I'm sure we can work something out.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2005
    2,774 Posts
    ubcsmark

40. Post #40
    March 2008
    1,205 Posts
    Umbrella Biohazard Countermeasure Service?