1. Post #1
    'Fashion Designer'
    August 2005
    13,572 Posts
    Welcome to the Fourth iteration of this thread!

Dwarf Fortress

Dwarf Fortress is a rogue-like game that focuses on the establishment and long-term maintaining of a dwarven settlement. Everything is rendered in ASCII, although there are "tilesets" that render everything differently.

Dwarf Fortress started development in 2001, and no public release was made until 2006.

Originally the game was simply 2D (meaning, there were no z levels. You could not go up or down). There was no variety in the maps. On the left, there is a grassland, and on the right side, there is a mountain, further in a cave river, chasm, magma and then adamantine/the Pits.

Then, the 3D version was released, with the major addition of Z levels, and mechanics. This expanded gameplay tremendously, but made underground rivers, magma, and creatures etc unique to their landscape. To clarify, this is not in a 3D view, but adds 3D features. Whereas in the 2D version you could go left and right, x and y axis, the 3D version adds up/down, the z-axis. Once more, THIS IS FROM THE SAME VIEW AS THE 2D VERSION, TOP-DOWN.

The latest 2D version is here
    Note: 2D version is no longer updated and lacks many of the features you may be used to in the 3D version.

The latest 3D version is here

There are OpenGL versions of the game available which run better than their predecessors, here are the links!

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df..._40d13_win.zip - Windows
    http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df..._linux.tar.bz2 - Linux
    http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df...13_osx.tar.bz2 - Mac

The most stunning feature of Dwarf Fortress is that it creates a randomly generated, persistent world for you to play in. (The world is only "on" when you are actually playing in it, however.) When you die in either the adventure or fortress modes, your next game will be in the same world, albeit a few days later. You can visit your old fortress, or get revenge on the monster that killed your adventurer. If your fortress or your adventurer had done anything of particular note, there's a chance that the game will generate a legend for them, which you can read about in the legends section. (Provided you've discovered enough information about the legend)

Dwarf Fortress has three major game modes and a fourth non-game mode:

* Dwarf Fortress Mode: In this mode you manage a number of dwarves whose task is to create a fortress.
    * Reclaim Fortress: Once you have created and abandoned/lost a fortress, you can take a band of military dwarves to fight the monsters that now inhabit it. If you succeed, the fortress is yours to play in once more, just like the standard dwarf fortress mode.
    * Adventure Mode: In this mode you explore the world in a fashion similar to Rogue, Nethack, or Angband, completing quests and killing monsters. In adventure mode you can uncover details about your world's legends.
    * Legends: In the fourth mode you can read more about the legends of your world, provided you've discovered them through adventuring.

* The world is randomly generated with distinct civilizations spanning over 1000 years of history, dozens of towns, hundreds of caves and regions with various wildlife.
    * The world persists as long as you like, over many games, recording historical events and tracking changes.
    * Command your dwarves as they search for wealth in the mountain.
    * Craft treasures and furniture from many materials and improve these objects with precious metals, jewels and more.
    * Defend yourself against attacks from hostile civilizations, the wilderness and the depths.
    * Support the nobility as they make demands of your populace.
    * Keep your dwarves happy and read their thoughts as they work and relax.
    * Z coordinate allows you to dig out fortresses with multiple levels. Build towers or conquer the depths.
    * Build floodgates to divert water for farming or to drown your adversaries.
    * Much much more...
    * Play an adventurer and explore, quest for glory or seek vengeance.
    * Meet adversaries from previous games.
    * Recruit people in towns to come with you on your journey.
    * Explore without cumbersome plot restrictions.
    * Seamlessly wander the world -- 197376 x 197376 squares total -- or travel more rapidly on the region map.
    * Accept quests from the town and civilization leaders.
    * Retire and meet your old characters. Bring them along on an adventure with a new character or reactivate them and play directly.
    * Z coordinate allows you to move seamlessly between dungeon levels and scale structures fighting adversaries above and below.
    * The combat model uses skills, body parts, wrestling, charging and dodging between squares, bleeding, pain, nausea, and much more.
    * A dynamic weather model tracks wind, humidity and air masses to create fronts, clouds, rain storms and blizzards.
    * Over two hundred rock and mineral types are incorporated into the world, placed in their proper geological environments.
    * Add new creatures, weapons, plants, metals and other objects via modifiable text files.
    * Extended ASCII character set rendered in 16 colors (including black) as well as 8 background colors (including black).

Due the the very easy editing of the raws, (simple text files that make up a lot of the game) many mods have been created that can range from full conversions of races, creatures and items to a simple additional stone type.

Stallion's Dig Deeper Mod

Stallion's Mod adds only what is needed to keep the original Dwarf Fortress feel to the game, while extending it.... Digging Deeper!

70+ new animals.
    A new civilisation.
    50+ new craftable trade items.
    10 new metals.
    A new gem.
    8 new wood/tree times.
    15 new plants (with associated extracts and drink).
    6 new weapons.
    6 new pieces of armour.
    14 new sets of speech for adventure mode.
    53 new engravings.
    And numerous changes!
    Download it here!: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=35736.0

The Martial Arts Mod

New abilities!
    - Natural melee attacks of most creatures have been improved upon.
    - Body structure has been altered to allow grabbing and breaking necks and spines.
    - Experimental changes in body structure. "Sensitive parts", beards, grappling mouths and tails, etc.

New races to play!
    - Dark elves, evil tower-dwelling brethren of the treehuggers.
    - Dark outcasts, corrupted and mutated, these "dark spider elves" are more than a nuisanse.
    - Kentauri, the quintessense of duty and justice. Almost as nature-loving as the elves, these horseback/elf-fronts don't pose much of a threat. Beware their leader though.
    - Tigermen, a low-intelligence race akin to kobolds.
    - Major original races are also playable.

New weapons of power!
    - Shovel (of power, yes)
    - Hack
    - Pitchfork
    - Club
    - Spiked club
    - Kobold flail
    - Kobold shortbow New ammo: pointed sticks
    - Sharded sword (itemcorpse only)
    - Flanged mace
    - Hand axe
    - Greatsword
    - Dwarven waraxe
    - Elven longblade
    - Longbow
    - Recurved longbow
    - Hand crossbow
    - Giant arbalest New ammo: harpoons
    - Elven skewer bow, new ammo: piercing arrows, slashing arrows, enchanted arrows
    - Dwarven mechanibow, new ammo: tearing shards, slashing stars, impact bolts
    (all names translated into native tongue)

New items of defence!
    - Tower shield
    - Shard shield (itemcorpse only)
    - Chestplate (metal/bone/shell)
    - Full plate armor (metal)
    - Plated boots (metal/shell/bone)
    - Full helm (metal)
    - Helmet (shell/metal)
    - Full craftable set of bone armor (Splint mail, leggings, gauntlets, crown, plus the mentioned boots)

New creatures:
    - Feral outcasts, uncivilised version of dark outcasts.
    - Black Dragon, the dark poisonous brother of the firebreather.
    - Copper golems, just because iron is too hard to dent.
    - Rock golems, to provide your fort with statues for the next five years.
    - Warped rock golems, to slice things up while you're at it.
    - Shard golems, cheap and cheerful adventurer-dicers.
    - Shard elementals, if you think walking golems weren't enough.
    - Silver golems, much nastier than their soft nature would suggest.
    - Golden golems, as if there weren't enough constructs already.
    - Adamantine golems. Just run.
    - Large demon rat. Not your usual vermin.
    - Giant demon rat. Definetly not your usual vermin.
    - Divine being. Flying, firebreathing, superspeed, wields magical weapons and flame. Also god(dess) of the kentauri.
    - Panther. Just thought it was missing.
    - Made several changes to existing creatures, as mentioned at the top of the listing

New trap components!

- Rotating fanblades! Chop your enemy into many little pieces! Can pump water with minimum modification!
    - Huge smashing hammers.
    - Reciprocating battering rams, of wood or metal. Handy bludgeoning alternative to upright spikes.

Finally, New engraving images!
    - I won't list them. Look for yourself or be surprised.
    Unintelligent's Random Crap Mod
    2 New Races

Monoliths

Once the servants of a forgotten civilization, these massive golem-like creatures now serve the Goblins who have discovered them, who value the Monoliths for their unerring loyalty and ability to work tirelessly for ages without the need for food or rest. While they have no weapons of their own, they are deadly in unarmed combat.

-Evil
    -Sieges
    -Do not require sleep, food, or drink
    -Very difficult to defend against
    -Cannot harvest their own wood
    -Playable in Fortress and Adventure mode

Luftoden

These unholy inhabitants of the frozen forests of the Taiga are quite fearsome to behold. Their desire for death and mayhem surpasses even that of the Goblins, who have formed an uneasy alliance with them. They appear to be a species of Demon; though they are fortunately much weaker than their belowground cousins, compared to the other major races, their strength in combat is second only to the Monoliths.

-Evil
    -Sieges, babysnatches
    -Can fly
    -Playable in Adventure mode only

----------------------------------

New Creatures

14 new non-entity creatures, including:

Riptides

These bizarre manta ray-like creatures float like a butterfly and sting like a cruise missile. They glide just above the ground at ludicrous speeds, leaving a trail of firey destruction in their wake. They fly over traps and can wipe out an army of untrained soldiers faster than you can say "OH SHI-". Although even a simple trench can keep them at bay, if you manage to defeat them, their hearts can be smelted into a metal stronger than steel.

Fell Dragons

While they may be smaller than a normal dragon and have weaker breath, these monstrosities are by no means less dangerous. They fly over walls and have venom in their fangs that makes their prey easier to devour. The only thing more dangerous than a Fell Dragon is a Skeletal Fell Dragon, so beware of evil regions.

Phantoms

These deadly spirits haunt the tainted lands where the undead roam and only the brave and the foolhardy dare to dread. They blend in with the dark landscape and are almost impossible to see before they strike. Once they attack, however, they often become easier to see, although that does not make them any less dangerous.

Check the creature_mod file for specifics on the rest of the new creatures. Or you could just play the game and let it surprise you.

----------------------------------

Other Features

Bronze and Iron

After someone pointed out that Bronze should be stronger than iron in the suggestion forum, I mucked around with the entries for Bronze and Iron a bit. (Shortly afterwards, I noticed someone already made a mod that does this, and much better than I did.)

Uranium

I don't know if something like this has been done before, but whatever. Pitchblende can now be smelted into Uranium. I also made it slightly more available; it's no longer granite-exclusive, though I'll probably change that later after I do more research.

-Once smelted, Uranium can be "enriched" at a smelter; this makes several bars of "depleted uranium," but only a small chance of producing "enriched uranium."
    -Depleted uranium can be used for bolts only (at the moment) and is stronger than steel
    -Enriched uranium has no purpose (yet), and cannot be used to create anything, although the bars are (currently) more valuable than Adamant

Gibbed's Dwarf Fortress Tweak

Combines adjuststart.exe, reveal.exe, warp.exe, heal.exe, and a few new ones into one convenient program.

Dwarf Companion

This project is about having a helper utility for dwarf fortress, hopefully filling gaps in the user interface. It will also allow some cool cheating, so that it would be possible to play with the engine. For example, you can now mark your nobles as butcherable! Ain't that cool?

Requires the latest version of Python and Gtk+/Win32 Runtime Environment.

Indecisive's Illustrated Dwarf Fortress Tutorial

Your First Fortress

The Wiki - The most useful site related to Dwarf Fortress - Go here for anything and everything.

The Official Forums

Dev Log - Check it every now and again for latest developments.

The awesome tale of Boatmurdered.

Thorny
    Teh Zip File
    Skullivan
    Punjon
    Banned?
    Viro
    Rusty-bucket
    KamikazII
    Deadly Midget
    GenericAlt
    Drew Carey
    LordLoss
    Rotinaj
    Jota DÍ V2
    mad skillz11
    Khyour
    Orkel
    Mikkelmann
    EvilJesus4
    Tetsmega
    swat99
    Skooma
    Ev!LHavoc
    FK102
    tinhead50
    scout1
    Themage
    Lemurman
    Resto
    Hamsterman
    Galenus
    Swebonny
    El Ruffianos
    PI3 B01
    cheesedelux
    LEETSEPEAK
    littlerippa
    Vronkio
    Kwal
    ClavusElite2
    Meerkat
    Adbor
    XD!
    IlikeHL2
    DeadorK
    Xed
    Kondor
    Raymastereo
    Loney
    nunu
    Goofa
    No_0ne
    lamaar
    coolguy1351
    ShanOMac794
    Canesfan
    Scope0
    ChimeraR
    KyleL999
    Coilgunner
    Stallion
    DmGod
    RedNick27
    Zezibesh
    venn177
    Zatharon
    Suicide Requiem
    Duncanfrost
    Boomersocks
    Misterwaffle
    Libertas (Attempted thread ninja)
    theJ89
    jimmymi

These people all play Dwarf Fortress, and so do you, I guess, and maybe if I'm in a good mood I'll add you too!

Credit to the creator of and all contributers of the thread before mine.
    Credit also to FlyingDog, thanks for the pictures buddy. <3

Remember:

LOSING IS FUN!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny x 12Dumb x 4Friendly x 1Agree x 1Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,293 Posts
    its not locked at time of posting
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    August 2009
    959 Posts
    Locked now...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    'Fashion Designer'
    August 2005
    13,572 Posts
    Also, there aren't any screenshots in the screenshots section of the OP... Anyone care to upload some?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    wow ok
    December 2007
    16,393 Posts
    I didn't even notice the older thread was close to being locked.

I've wanted to start playing this for months but I don't want to start a fortress and have the new version come out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    'Fashion Designer'
    August 2005
    13,572 Posts
    I didn't even notice the older thread was close to being locked.

I've wanted to start playing this for months but I don't want to start a fortress and have the new version come out.
    It's probably still a while 'till the new version, but I totally know what you mean.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    wow ok
    December 2007
    16,393 Posts
    Heh, I'm still the second player on the Who Plays list.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    5,383 Posts
    Could you fix my name in OP?

Lowercase V and 177, not 117.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    240 Posts
    I am not expecting the new version before new year. I predict end of February at the earliest. and end of April at the latest.

10. Post #10
    'Fashion Designer'
    August 2005
    13,572 Posts
    Done
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,434 Posts
    Once I refigure out how to change Z levels I'll play

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,575 Posts
    Shouldn't depleted Uranium still give the little bastards radiation poisoning?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    5,383 Posts
    Thankya. HEARTS ALL AROUND.

14. Post #14
    'Fashion Designer'
    August 2005
    13,572 Posts
    Once I refigure out how to change Z levels I'll play
    < and >
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,412 Posts
    3 threads later and my name still isn't added to the "people playing" list.

Ass :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,235 Posts
    or if your using maydays version ctrl+5 and shift+5

I want my name on the list please?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

17. Post #17
    wow ok
    December 2007
    16,393 Posts
    3 threads later and my name still isn't added to the "people playing" list.

Ass :(
    These people all play Dwarf Fortress, and so do you, I guess, but I'm afraid I won't add any more new people.
    Yeah.

18. Post #18
    July 2007
    2,368 Posts
    I can upload a few screenshots if you are interested, and perhaps even videos. This game certainly deserves constant attention due to it's endless re-playability.

19. Post #19
    November 2007
    1,064 Posts
    http://www.ohloh.net/p/dwarftherapist

Dwarf Therapist 0.4.1 is out

20. Post #20
    'Fashion Designer'
    August 2005
    13,572 Posts
    I can upload a few screenshots if you are interested, and perhaps even videos. This game certainly deserves constant attention due to it's endless re-playability.
    That'd be great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    315 Posts
    What does that do?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,398 Posts
    Excellent, MUCH better title.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,235 Posts
    Dwarf Therapist is an extension application for the fantastic game Dwarf Fortress. DF is a great game. And it's fun to manage dwarves with keyboard menus until about the 50th one shows up. If you're starting to get overwhelmed you need therapist in your life.

taken from the link.
    it doesn't really give a nice clear answer what it does.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,215 Posts
    I think it's a job manager.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    August 2009
    896 Posts
    What's with the "only you can prevent fortress fires" in the title?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

26. Post #26
    XD!
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,183 Posts
    What's with the "only you can prevent fortress fires" in the title?
    Fire Imps.

Edited:

Booze burns

Edited:

Alot

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    3,061 Posts
    And those commercials about "Only YOU can prevent forest fires"

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    1,910 Posts
    I just remembered I'm on the list, I also remembered that DF existed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    July 2007
    2,368 Posts
    That'd be great.
    Would you kindly tell me what types of screenshots you are interested in.

30. Post #30
    Hi, my name is mastermaul, and I'm a butt.
    January 2008
    8,313 Posts
    I'd so play this still if i could survive. Sadface.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,936 Posts
    Halp FP, my stoneworker got taken by a fey mood, claimed the craftdwarfs workshop, and keeps muttering his own name, what do I do?

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,215 Posts
    Drown chamber him. He will come back to life through a child who will have a fell mood, and kill his closest friend.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,936 Posts
    oh, nevermind, I just didn't see the mysterious construction message pop up, he made a crappy stone doll.

34. Post #34
    November 2007
    1,064 Posts
    I think it's a job manager.
    Yes, it is.

35. Post #35
    October 2008
    701 Posts
    This looks too complicated to play :saddowns:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,936 Posts
    I have begun the great canal project, that is, re routing a river to run underneath a large plaza type are I built so I can build a well there and have unlimited fresh flowing water without having to leave the safety of my fort.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    October 2007
    123 Posts
    Funny I've never really lost a game of dwarf fortress. I usually just get swamped with tons of work to do i.e. organization stuffs. Mostly after the constant ambushes that seem to be getting more violent and costly every month. Oh great 4 swords men/farmer/miner/chefs die in battle now I have to re-configure my dwarfly work program. That usually means I have to take some unlucky suckers off of stone hauling duty (and further slow the completion of my giant towering Citadel) and give them weapons and toss them outside the fortress walls to die. I find the need to make giant structure's with rock solid defense, and all things needed to keep my dwarfs happy and alive a priority. To bad I get bored, and tiered of putting up with the random craziness that will happen "Hauling Stone" example "Manly dwarf has starved to death while stupidly trapping himself between the outside walls of the tower.

I love this game
    Oh and a pro tip "Be a slave driver no breaks till the job gets done!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    August 2009
    896 Posts
    Fire Imps.

Edited:

Booze burns

Edited:

Alot
    What I meant is why is there a phrase beside "dwarf fortress" in each of these threads?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

39. Post #39
    "Gold Member"
    Dennab
    May 2007
    13,705 Posts
    I still have my enclosed-by-a-big-stone-wall fort but it's gotten to the point where the surface area enclosed by the wall is devoid of all life (and trees :( ) and covered in things like vomit and blood. Also, although my military are all super elite gods of war and can hold the one entrance into my fort, they are near constantly ambushed by squads of goblins who end up making large piles of blood and organs in front of my fort. I've pretty much stopped playing it because it's just SO DAMN MESSY.

40. Post #40
    March 2008
    577 Posts
    What I meant is why is there a phrase beside "dwarf fortress" in each of these threads?
    Tradition.