1. Post #1
    April 2008
    23 Posts
    Recently I have got into a great hobby called Long boarding. No it's not surfing, and no it's not skateboarding. It's basically a skateboard with a bigger board and bigger wheels and meant for cruising and carving down hills. It's been a really relaxing and chill hobby for me, now that I have got good balance with it. I usually go around the city to hills close by and go down them with friends and it's just such a beautiful hobby to do with friends, as we all go in a line, anyways just wanted to see if anyone else on FP longboards.

Wasn't sure how to embed videos? (could somebody tell me?)

My board.

- - - - - - - - -

What you will need:
    -Flat Bottomed Shoes: Skate shoes or any flat bottom shoe is good because it puts more grip onto the board.
    -Helmet: You can definitely ditch it later if you want, but starting out you will want to wear one.
    -Longboard: Obviously.

Longboards come in many different shapes, colors, sizes, and designs. Each different design has it's different attributes mattering on what kind of skating you want to do. When choosing a longboard, keep in mind that the longer the board is the more stable it will be to ride, however they don't turn as quickly so it is not as good if you want to carve (flank back and forth). While at a shop, find the boards that you feel you want (trust me, you will just get a feeling on which kind of board you want), ask to stand on it and just see if you can click with the board.

If you are just starting out riding after getting a board, go to a big vacant parking lot and figure out a comfortable foot placement and stance. Keep one foot one and push with the other and cruise around and get a feel for longboarding. Once you get a feel for basic balance I would recommend starting off on some small hills - I mean SMALL and GENTLE, make sure there is no traffic, a hill that would take you to about 10-20 MPH, so it's not as bad as a fall and it's a good start. I would say to not even push and let gravity push you down until you get a good feel. After you ride those hills enough you will generally upgrade higher and higher until you can bomb giant hills. The longer you longboard, the better you will get at getting the most out of your pushes, so don't worry too much right now if it seems you have to push a lot!

Falling off can hurt alot, but make sure to wear a helmet and clothing that won't bruise your skin up if you do fall going fast. There are multiple ways to stop such as a coleman slide, or footbraking. If you are going to fast, the best thing to do is just jump off. On most giant hills, I tend to carve left and right to slow down instead of going straight down the hill and gaining alot of speed. To carve, you just swing to the left and right on your board to create a wavy path.

If you want to try steeper slopes and hills, that's great. Don't pick anything extreme, just something a little steeper than the slope you were trying on. Roads work well for this, just make sure there isn't going to be any traffic. Having a friend there to watch for cars is helpful! Longboarding is a art, a good one at that manner.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb x 50Agree x 47Informative x 10Winner x 9Artistic x 4Optimistic x 4Friendly x 3Funny x 2Late x 1Bad Reading x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,665 Posts
    This shit looks awesome. I skate a lot, but I've never tried one of these. I might buy one. Reminds me of when I used to try and go fast on my normal skateboard, but my trucks were too loose and, well, it goes on from there.

It was scary as hell by the way, I was going extremely fast (at least 30 mph), and I just started getting major speed wobbles until my board just powerslided and ripped out from underneath me. I fell flat on the ground and slid for ages. Hurt like hell but the adrenaline was so good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Friendly x 27Funny x 9Agree x 4Disagree x 3Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    April 2008
    23 Posts
    It's worth the buy, around 150-200$ or higher for a better, but you don't need a really good one. I was never good with tricks on my skateboard, so this is the perfect thing for me. The speed is so nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    16,525 Posts
    Embedding is [media][//media], with only one / in the last tag.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Useful Useful x 4Informative Informative x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    April 2008
    23 Posts
    Embedding is [media][//media], with only one / in the last tag.
    Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Equal Moderator
    April 2005
    5,297 Posts
    Longboards look nuts, I just can't figure out how making any sort of sharp turn on one is going to go over well. I can imagine using a board that size on a wide open hill for snowboarding, but how does this work on city streets and sidewalks?

There things are rad
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Bad Spelling x 5Agree x 3Disagree x 2Optimistic x 1Funny x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    July 2009
    1,950 Posts

There things are rad
    Gotcha!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Funny Funny x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    187 Posts
    I used to skateboard alot but my best friends really got me into longboarding. My best friend finally convinced me to buy one and its a blast to ride.

This is what mine looks like
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Informative Informative x 5Funny Funny x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    16,525 Posts
    Here in Colorado a ton of people use longboards. More than regular skateboards. I didn't think there was a whole lot to it until I saw this video...

Pretty cool stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Informative Informative x 3Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    April 2008
    23 Posts
    Longboards look nuts, I just can't figure out how making any sort of sharp turn on one is going to go over well. I can imagine using a board that size on a wide open hill for snowboarding, but how does this work on city streets and sidewalks?

There things are rad
    Same as a skateboard, kick and push, lot smoother and you carve (flank) around sharper. Sharp turns require you being confident and leaning to the side alot or getting down and using your hand (if it's gloved). Yesterday I was doing a hill with a sharp right turn and I hit the curb and flew off. (Going about 30mph)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    3,297 Posts
    =)
    I longboard too. I only fell once going down a huge hill. Still got scars on both my elbows.

Mine is something like this, except I added bigger wheels, and the picture is different.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,888 Posts
    Can you propel yourself by just going back and forth?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    March 2008
    217 Posts
    No, if anything it would be to control your speed when your going down a steep hill/is really fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,252 Posts
    I'm with you! I'm currently riding, and have been for over a year, a 37" Gravity Diamond Tail; in a month I'm buying a brand new Loaded Dervish. I can't wait.

Can you propel yourself by just going back and forth?
    No, if anything it would be to control your speed when your going down a steep hill/is really fun.
    Yes, you can, it's called pumping; you're thinking of carving, Jesse.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    April 2008
    23 Posts
    Flat land cruising is sort of boring. I drive out to the little hills for fun. You can't really stop though, if you jump up, you trip because of speed different and if you put foot down you faceplant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

16. Post #16
    March 2008
    217 Posts
    Yes, you can, it's called pumping; you're thinking of carving, Jesse.
    Ah, true.

I gave up longboarding the summer before last after I broke my thumb. I use to ride a Landyachtz Wedge Flex. Good times.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

17. Post #17
    April 2008
    23 Posts
    Ah, true.

I gave up longboarding the summer before last after I broke my thumb. I use to ride a Landyachtz Wedge Flex. Good times.

You quit because you broke your thumb?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    7,239 Posts
    It's like surfing but not as fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,252 Posts
    Ah, true.

Oh man, give me your board if you don't ride anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,705 Posts
    Two of my friends longboarded one time. One fell and ripped open his arm while the other tried catching the longboard as it fell into a sewer drain. I also noticed that people who longboard are usually assholes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Disagree Disagree x 4Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    April 2008
    23 Posts
    Two of my friends longboarded one time. One fell and ripped open his arm while the other tried catching the longboard as it fell into a sewer drain. I also noticed that people who longboard are usually assholes.
    Must be the area. Everyone here who longboards is usually chilled out and peaceful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

22. Post #22
    October 2008
    225 Posts
    In the video they weren't wearing helmets, they could get seriously hurt!

Edited:

Well most of them weren't

Edited:

See skip to 4:08!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    July 2009
    226 Posts
    I accidentally hit a longboarder once, or rather, the longboarder hit my car

Drifting practice and longboarding on windy mountain roads at the same time do not go so well :ohdear:

Edited:

Hey it was a two lane road and he was swerving ok
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 21Optimistic Optimistic x 1Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    9,207 Posts
    I used to have one of these. Always fun to ride around on the beach boardwalk I lived close by.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    March 2005
    651 Posts
    People rating dumb are probably the ones staying inside all day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 26Dumb Dumb x 15 (list)

26. Post #26
    April 2008
    23 Posts
    People rating dumb are probably the ones staying inside all day.
    Exactly what I'm thinking. This isn't a hard hobby to maintain.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    May 2009
    1,960 Posts
    I never really got into skateboarding and tricks don't really appeal to me. I'd like to learn how to longboard one day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

28. Post #28
    April 2008
    23 Posts
    I never really got into skateboarding and tricks don't really appeal to me. I'd like to learn how to longboard one day.
    It's not that hard my friend, just gain basic balance.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,003 Posts
    people use these for transportation around campus

they're fucking amazing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    July 2009
    226 Posts
    people use these for transportation around campus

they're fucking amazing
    Until they hit a bad sidewalk crack or run into a police officer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11 (list)

31. Post #31
    April 2008
    23 Posts
    Until they hit a bad sidewalk crack or run into a police officer
    People should be able to see giant sidewalk cracks, and what would a police officer do? You can't grind with a longboard and it has the same purpose as a bike.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,888 Posts
    Which is the exact reason why these longboards intrigue me.

I don't care for skateborder shit like kickflips and ollies. I just want to glide around without having to push the ground every 5 seconds. Is there a specific type of longboard that allows that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    7,239 Posts
    It's fairly easy. It's like a very smooth riding skateboard more for getting around than tricks.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,252 Posts
    For me, it started out as a means of transportation; walking 6 miles home from school wasn't cutting it. Pretty soon I was cleaning my bearings, modifying my trucks, making slide gloves, and bombing hills. It grows on you.

Edited:

Which is the exact reason why these longboards intrigue me.

I don't care for skateborder shit like kickflips and ollies. I just want to glide around without having to push the ground every 5 seconds. Is there a specific type of longboard that allows that?
    If you want to ride with the littlest of effort, you need damn good bearings and larger wheels; larger wheels gain and hold more speed, as well as absorb a lot more impact and texture of the ground. Also, try for a more flexy board; they're less stable, but they're going to be a more comfortable ride.

Just look for a long beach cruiser.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,888 Posts
    I don't have any beaches near me. :smug:

What price range would they be around? And would you get them at a local skateboard shop or would you have to order one online?

36. Post #36
    August 2009
    1,383 Posts
    People should be able to see giant sidewalk cracks, and what would a police officer do? You can't grind with a longboard and it has the same purpose as a bike.
    Skateboard-esque things are banned in a lot of population centers due to the hazards it presents for pedestrians and you can't avoid sidewalk cracks all the time

37. Post #37
    December 2007
    733 Posts
    These longboarders at Swarthmore longboard around campus wearing Phillies hats. They glide down hills in lines with their caps each at a different angle. They always try to crash parties, thinking that they are cool that they ride boards that go up to their chin.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,252 Posts
    I don't have any beaches near me. :smug:

What price range would they be around? And would you get them at a local skateboard shop or would you have to order one online?
    Personally, I prefer ordering online due to simple customization and cheaper prices. But a good starter cruising board is going to be around 150 dollars.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    5,042 Posts
    Looks sick. How is it compared to a normal board. I got a normal one with longboard wheels and trucks.

40. Post #40
    April 2008
    23 Posts
    Looks sick. How is it compared to a normal board. I got a normal one with longboard wheels and trucks.
    Bigger the board, the faster you go down the hill, but alot more stress on flatland cruising.