1. Post #361
    June 2011
    1,479 Posts
    Everyone around my school uses Pennies, and I wanna see if they're any good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

2. Post #362
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,665 Posts
    I don't know of any decent shops near me that sell these (in Scotland) so how do I know which to choose? I really want one after watching some awesome videos on Vimeo.

How's this? http://www.longboardsuk.com/complete...longboard.html

It's pretty cheap and I can go higher if I need to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #363
    August 2007
    309 Posts
    I don't know of any decent shops near me that sell these (in Scotland) so how do I know which to choose? I really want one after watching some awesome videos on Vimeo.

A little pricey for your first board, but if you have the money go for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hong Kong Show Events

4. Post #364
    September 2009
    839 Posts

Route one is a skateshop here in Scotland, they sell a few boards, not too pricey last time I checked. Not much to choose from though: http://www.routeone.co.uk/Store/Skat...s+And+Cruisers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

5. Post #365
    December 2008
    707 Posts
    I found a Sector 9 Goddess longboard second hand for $118. It also has Bones Reds bearings.
    My question is, is it a good longboard for a beginner?
    Also, should I just buy it new? There's like a $52 difference.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

6. Post #366
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    5,069 Posts
    heading of to college and getting a longboard, decided to go with a gravity board

41" graivty makai drop carve
    white/blue 9 inch gullwing charger trucks
    orangatang 75 in heat purple wheels
    bones swiss bearings

so excited
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

7. Post #367
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    3,918 Posts
    Fuck yeah dude 'Tang makes the best wheels you can get. I have orange in heats, they ride sooo smoothly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

8. Post #368
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    5,069 Posts
    i actually cant decide if i should get purple or orange wheel with the board

these wheels

and

with this board

help!

9. Post #369
    October 2008
    698 Posts
    Dude I need to post both my long boards BUT I want to convert my skateboard into a shlongboard.

Edited:

Oh and get the purple ones. They look fabulous.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #370
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    3,918 Posts

help!
    As far as I know, the purple and orange wheels are practically the same except i think the purple ones are a little bit less grippy than the orange ones are. I dunno if that will really be a big difference for you at all though since it's your first deck, but I would go with orange for that extra grip otherwise it's your choice dude.

Edited:
    but those purple ones do look really nice...

Edited:
    yeah get the purple ones they'll look slick as hell on that board.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

11. Post #371
    February 2010
    5,573 Posts
    Yeah, the purple ones would look better with that board.

12. Post #372
    March 2010
    793 Posts
    I have a skateboard, might try this when I'm at a decent level on my board

13. Post #373
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    5,069 Posts
    As far as I know, the purple and orange wheels are practically the same except i think the purple ones are a little bit less grippy than the orange ones are. I dunno if that will really be a big difference for you at all though since it's your first deck, but I would go with orange for that extra grip otherwise it's your choice dude.

Edited:
    but those purple ones do look really nice...

Edited:
    yeah get the purple ones they'll look slick as hell on that board.
    haha alright

purple it is

14. Post #374
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,577 Posts
    My new baby I just bought in sweden. Rides like a dream, It's a Platinum Carbon Decay camber - concave style board with drop through gullwing stalker trucks. Even got around 100 bucks off of it because the guy liked me! Fuck yeah. Just bought a set of 8 bearings aswell incase I need them and the tool.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #375
    October 2009
    596 Posts
    Ah, true.

I gave up longboarding the summer before last after I broke my thumb. I use to ride a Landyachtz Wedge Flex. Good times.

I got my tongue stitched not long ago, but you don't see me giving up eating?
    Man up bro. Longboarding is worth it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #376
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    16,622 Posts
    by the way Stoked Longboards is the best place I've found in the UK for boards. Good prices and simply amazing customer service. one time I got a reply to an email after like 5 minutes.

17. Post #377
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,577 Posts
    I love this damn thing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #378

April 2010
    2,739 Posts
    Do you guys think this is a decent board to get started on? It's my dads old one its pretty beat up

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

19. Post #379
    February 2010
    5,573 Posts
    Do you guys think this is a decent board to get started on? It's my dads old one its pretty beat up

To get started, sure. Just make sure everything is in correctly and fastened up the right amount. It's better than nothing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #380
    October 2008
    698 Posts
    I have a skateboard, might try this when I'm at a decent level on my board
    NO TRANSFORM IT INTO A SHLONG BOARD.
    I am the biggest advocate of the shlong board.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

21. Post #381
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,615 Posts
    Once my tax cheque clears, I'm buying a Loaded Tan Tien, 180mm Paris trucks and purple Orangatang Stimulus wheels.

It'll be my second board and I'm gonna learn to slide on it (my current board is a Vault 46" pintail and it's a bit too big for learning to slide in my opinion).

I still don't know what bearings I'm going to get, but I'm leaning towards a set of Bones Reds. What do you guys think?

22. Post #382
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,577 Posts
    Once my tax cheque clears, I'm buying a Loaded Tan Tien, 180mm Paris trucks and purple Orangatang Stimulus wheels.

It'll be my second board and I'm gonna learn to slide on it (my current board is a Vault 46" pintail and it's a bit too big for learning to slide in my opinion).

I still don't know what bearings I'm going to get, but I'm leaning towards a set of Bones Reds. What do you guys think?
    Best bearings ever, ready out of the box. Do it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #383
    March 2010
    1,507 Posts
    I've got a Santa Cruz pinny, fucking great way to get around.

Also, heres the Land Yachtz "EH Team"

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

24. Post #384
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    2,444 Posts
    I've been thinking of making a luge out of my Evo. Good idea or no?

I've been trying to design it in GIMP, but GIMP sucks. Time to go find a friend with Photoshop.

25. Post #385
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    2,555 Posts
    My college campus is too small for bikes and a little too small for walking so almost everyone rides longboards. I never got one though

26. Post #386
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    5,646 Posts
    I built my own long board.

It's a 2-3m long MDF plank with 4 skateboard trucks screwed into it. The extra two are for support because it was too long and weak so it bent in the middle.    

It doesn't work very well   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #387
    June 2010
    83 Posts
    been there done that inhaled the dust.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

and mine had concave:

used to do quite a lot of longboarding, but theres not really any great hills where i live. that board was built as a prototype for the press i made for it, but i never got around to making another board out of it. ill probably start building again in the future, its good fun.

28. Post #388
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,615 Posts

It's a 2-3m long MDF plank with 4 skateboard trucks screwed into it. The extra two are for support because it was too long and weak so it bent in the middle.    

It doesn't work very well   
    Please post pictures of that beast.
    I'm imagining something along the lines of the car from the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but in longboard form.

Edited:

and mine had concave:

used to do quite a lot of longboarding, but theres not really any great hills where i live. that board was built as a prototype for the press i made for it, but i never got around to making another board out of it. ill probably start building again in the future, its good fun.
    How do you go about pressing the ply into shape?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #389
    Tabasco Lord
    September 2005
    9,173 Posts
    Friend has one made of bamboo, I had fun grasping the concept of it.

Edited:

And it's made by Sector9 or whatever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

30. Post #390
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    2,444 Posts
    Just made a headlight for my Evo. Night riding just got hands-free.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

31. Post #391
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    2,564 Posts

I have a Tan Tien with that exact set up, except for yellow Otang Stims. I use Bones Super Reds. Honestly the extra money is worth not having to worry about bearings, they last forever.

Also I finally broke in my wheels and I'm also learning how to slide. Powerslides are a bitch, and the asphalt is trying to kill me. The other day I cracked a rib.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

32. Post #392
    July 2008
    206 Posts

these wheels

and

with this board

help!
    I want to point out that the purple wheels are less grippy than the orange. They mean different things. If you want to slide more, get purple for sure as Orange are significantly more grippy. If you want to carve and bomb more, get the orange.

as a key for orangatang. Yellow = hardest. Purple = medium. Orange = Softest.

The harder, the better it slides.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #393
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    3,173 Posts
    Not sure if I posted this already, but whatever.

I gots this baby:

with

and

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

34. Post #394
    July 2010
    3,428 Posts

these wheels

and

with this board

help!
    How about don't get them. Wayyyy too overrated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

35. Post #395
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,615 Posts
    I have a Tan Tien with that exact set up, except for yellow Otang Stims. I use Bones Super Reds. Honestly the extra money is worth not having to worry about bearings, they last forever.

Also I finally broke in my wheels and I'm also learning how to slide. Powerslides are a bitch, and the asphalt is trying to kill me. The other day I cracked a rib.
    I've heard the yellows can get flat spots really quick if you don't break them in properly at first, that's why I thought they wouldn't be very good for a noob slider, coz I'd ruin them way quick.

36. Post #396
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    7,541 Posts

and mine had concave:

How did you make the concave?
    Also how thick is that, I don't know about the usual longboard but skateboards are usually 7 ply, that looks about 12

37. Post #397
    May 2009
    65 Posts
    I have 83a orangatang stimulus wheels. Overrated. It says they slide straight out of the box, they didn't for me. Took a lot of breaking in before they slid well. In fact to be honest I think the whole of loaded's line up is overrated and far far too expensive. Same with original. But original do have the best marketing I've ever seen from a skateboarding company.

I think people starting out in longboarding should get a cheap efficient board from a good company as their first board. If they spend 250 on a set up first time and they discover they hate longboarding, they've wasted a load of dosh. If it was me starting out I would get a small-ish board as they're easier slide than larger boards, good trucks and good wheels.
    This would be an ideal set up imo. http://www.octanesport.co.uk/shop/ea...-complete.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

38. Post #398
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    5,069 Posts
    How about don't get them. Wayyyy too overrated.
    i dont think so, 3 of my friends have oragatang wheels and some others dont and i have enjoyed riding the boards with otangs on them than the ones that dont

also, i searched up on the gravity makai and apparently its not very durable, so i decided im going o get a 36" sector 9 aperture sidewinder

i rode my friends the other day for a good 2 hours and loved it. I dont think im making a mistake getting this board with some otangs

39. Post #399
    October 2009
    4,215 Posts
    I live in Illinois. I literally cannot imagine a single hill here being big enough for a 5 second ride.

40. Post #400
    Memento audere semper- audaces fortuna iuvat.
    February 2010
    7,918 Posts
    Where are the brakes?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Italy Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)