1. Post #881
    I'd be lost in this world without my Hatsune Miku ^__^
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    logged onto FP for the first time in forever, saw this thread, pretty stoked!

im a hardcore longboarder if i do say so myself. Currently riding for orangatang wheels and eden racing.

i know theres a lot of hate towards otang but they hook mad riders up and do great things for the scene.

as for eden, its my good friend russ's company based out of Harvard MA, hes just putting out the first production run of eden sparrows now, a directional topmount thats designed for freeride and downhill!

I also make videos, lots and lots of skate videos, check em out!

ive got many many more videos on my channel if anyone's interested...

cheers!

stay stoked everyone
    You have mad skills man. I'd like to say I'm on par with you with your tricks except toeside standies. Those take a lot of practice. I personally won't buy otang wheels but I'd take a sponsorship from them anyday man. Props to you man, I hope I can ride as well as you in the future. Fuck I need to make my sponsor me video.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #882
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    3,866 Posts
    What helmet would you guys reccomend?

3. Post #883
    June 2010
    6,357 Posts
    Just about any helmet would do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #884
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    3,866 Posts
    Thanks man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

5. Post #885
    March 2011
    193 Posts
    How do you guys maintain bearings? A lot of people tell me to just buy another set of bones reds and dont bother cleaning em because they are damn cheap.

6. Post #886
    June 2010
    6,357 Posts
    Open then, scrub them and lube them like a regular person.

7. Post #887
    March 2011
    193 Posts
    Open then, scrub them and lube them like a regular person.
    Well sure, there is of course this option... But what solvent and lube specifically?

You can't just be rinsing them under water and soakin them in wd-40...

8. Post #888
    June 2010
    6,357 Posts
    Well sure, there is of course this option... But what solvent and lube specifically?

You can't just be rinsing them under water and soakin them in wd-40...
    Acquire wire brush and rag
    Scrub and wipe
    Lube balls and bearing ring things with whatever bearing lube my friend has at the moment
    Assemble

9. Post #889
    Dennab
    June 2011
    474 Posts
    it's not skateboarding. It's basically a skateboard
    okay
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

10. Post #890
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Triple8 Multi-Impact sweatsaver. Its like $40 and comfy, plus it doesn't have eps foam so you can smash your head and still have a helmet.

11. Post #891
    October 2009
    91 Posts
    Learning toeside speed checks.
    Where should I have my weight balanced out before and during the slide ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Australia Show Events

12. Post #892
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Learning toeside speed checks.
    Where should I have my weight balanced out before and during the slide ?
    Hands down or stand up. I'm still working on my stand up. Hands down I've almost got down to a science. Now I'm just trying to work some courage to go faster that 25-30mph and do them. Sucks to highside with those especially since I do them without a hand on the rail. Generally for any slide you want most of your weight on the front foot in the beginning while you push out to 90 than even your weight out completely than from there its how you want to come out of the slide.

13. Post #893
    October 2009
    91 Posts
    Hands down or stand up. I'm still working on my stand up. Hands down I've almost got down to a science. Now I'm just trying to work some courage to go faster that 25-30mph and do them. Sucks to highside with those especially since I do them without a hand on the rail. Generally for any slide you want most of your weight on the front foot in the beginning while you push out to 90 than even your weight out completely than from there its how you want to come out of the slide.
    Stand ups. Haha, I'll get them sooner or later.

14. Post #894
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Stand ups. Haha, I'll get them sooner or later.
    Stand ups are a bitch. I suggest just looking them up on youtube, I can do 180s all day toeside but holding them out is a whole other story. Thats some scary shit especially after you highside a few times.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #895
    July 2007
    105 Posts
    For those who don't like cleaning bearings too often, mix oil and lithium grease, it's awesome.
    I have 4 sets of bearings lubed with this solution in my boards/friends boards and we've been riding the whole summer in rain, sand/gravel forest roads, dusty garages and shit like that, rolling smoothly and still no rattles :)

I love how quiet they are as well, goes nicely with soaped pivot cups and 75as for those ultimate ninja night rides.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

16. Post #896
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    For those who don't like cleaning bearings too often, mix oil and lithium grease, it's awesome.
    I have 4 sets of bearings lubed with this solution in my boards/friends boards and we've been riding the whole summer in rain, sand/gravel forest roads, dusty garages and shit like that, rolling smoothly and still no rattles :)

I love how quiet they are as well, goes nicely with soaped pivot cups and 75as for those ultimate ninja night rides.
    lookup numcups on silverfish. Basically the best pivot cups around.

17. Post #897
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    486 Posts
    Hey, first time buyer here and I'm currently checking out the Arbor Fish Koa longboard. What do you think? on silverfish loads of people recommend the Earthwing Superglider but personally i think that the fish looks nicer. I'm planning to use it to get to/from college and hopefully uni and maybe some carving(?) not really into tricks or really fast downhill.

Thanks!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

18. Post #898
    June 2010
    6,357 Posts
    Hey, first time buyer here and I'm currently checking out the Arbor Fish Koa longboard. What do you think? on silverfish loads of people recommend the Earthwing Superglider but personally i think that the fish looks nicer. I'm planning to use it to get to/from college and hopefully uni and maybe some carving(?) not really into tricks or really fast downhill.

Thanks!
    Up to you mate. Earthwing makes some great boards, but so does Arbor.

19. Post #899
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    486 Posts
    Fair enough, thanks.

20. Post #900
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Depends on the arbor deck. The sym freeride deck they make seems to be the only one any of their team riders will touch. Kinda says something about their other decks......

21. Post #901
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    Anybody heard of Dregs? Just check thelongboardstore and they've got them listed, but I've never heard of the brand before.

22. Post #902
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Anybody heard of Dregs? Just check thelongboardstore and they've got them listed, but I've never heard of the brand before.
    Yes. I believe back in early 2000s they had a really unbeatable team. Very reputable brand, personally none of their boards appeal to me but yeah they are really reputable so don't worry about quality when you buy from them because they're legit.

23. Post #903
    Dennab
    November 2011
    24 Posts
    I love longboarding. I have a special cruiser board that was signed by Bruce Walker. He is number one in the Longboarding Hall of Fame. It was an honor watching him skate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

24. Post #904
    June 2010
    6,357 Posts
    I love longboarding. I have a special cruiser board that was signed by Bruce Walker. He is number one in the Longboarding Hall of Fame. It was an honor watching him skate.
    Never once heard of him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #905
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    never heard his name once. Never seen a video about him. Cliff coleman is easily number one in the Hall of Fame. Everyone who shreds has massive respect for cliff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

26. Post #906
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,092 Posts
    I've had stock bearings on my board and one of them got slightly bent outta shape. I ride regularly everyday and my friends were telling me I should be some reds or super reds. The super reds are slightly more expensive and I was wondering if the difference was worth the cost.

27. Post #907
    June 2010
    6,357 Posts
    never heard his name once. Never seen a video about him. Cliff coleman is easily number one in the Hall of Fame. Everyone who shreds has massive respect for cliff.
    Cliff, and Adam Colton.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #908
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Cliff, and Adam Colton.
    So many names I could name. AdamC is a alright guy but not a legend in my opinion, yet.

Edited:

I've had stock bearings on my board and one of them got slightly bent outta shape. I ride regularly everyday and my friends were telling me I should be some reds or super reds. The super reds are slightly more expensive and I was wondering if the difference was worth the cost.
    you should get magic bearings. Reds are cool and all but any $10 bearing will do. Mini Logos, Magics, Speedy Lunatics, Shake Junt. So many to name.

29. Post #909
    June 2010
    6,357 Posts
    I'm partial to Abec11 Biltins myself, makes life much easier.

30. Post #910
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    I'm partial to Abec11 Biltins myself, makes life much easier.
    I was thinking about picking up a pair but I'd rather drop $10 on precision bearing spacers. Apparently they're the tits plus I need some flat washers. Are they actually fast? I feel like its a gimmick.

31. Post #911
    August 2009
    798 Posts
    Me and some friends long board, check out our videos!

Edited:

and if your wondering i have the loaded tan tien, i wouldn't recommend it, after 3 months the board is warped, high concave on one side while the other side is completely flat
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

32. Post #912
    June 2010
    6,357 Posts
    I was thinking about picking up a pair but I'd rather drop $10 on precision bearing spacers. Apparently they're the tits plus I need some flat washers. Are they actually fast? I feel like its a gimmick.
    They're pretty fast, and it makes putting your wheels back together a lot easier, seeing that you don't need to worry about loosing the spacers and speed rings.

33. Post #913
    June 2010
    589 Posts
    Here's a little video of me and my friends bailing. Some of the bails are pretty funny, if I do say so myself.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YieE0...w&feature=plcp
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

34. Post #914
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Here's a little video of me and my friends bailing. Some of the bails are pretty funny, if I do say so myself.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YieE0...w&feature=plcp
    Get a helmet.

Edited:

They're pretty fast, and it makes putting your wheels back together a lot easier, seeing that you don't need to worry about loosing the spacers and speed rings.
    I'll have to try a pair sometime. Although I heard they're a bitch to clean.

Edited:

Me and some friends long board, check out our videos!

Edited:

and if your wondering i have the loaded tan tien, i wouldn't recommend it, after 3 months the board is warped, high concave on one side while the other side is completely flat
    videos are not half bad. your riding just needs to progress if you really want to get people stoked. Also I suggest using songs that are not in every trick video out there aka the second video. Work on your tucks, they're terrible and keep working on slides. Also keep having fun! Also to clarify I'm not ripping on you guys, you look like you had a lot of fun making it. Just trying to give constructive criticism.

35. Post #915
    June 2010
    6,357 Posts
    They are a bit different to clean, but it's easy to get used to.

Edited:

Tell that to my friend. He's been longboarding for three years now and has always drank gallons of the Loaded and Orangatang kool-aid, and despite going through two dervishes, a dancer, and a tan tien, he still claims Loaded makes the best boards.

36. Post #916
    June 2010
    589 Posts
    [QUOTE=Takkun10;33416808]Get a helmet.

Yeah, we just don't have helmets for when we just started longboarding, last summer. We all have helmets and safety gear now, as you can see from a halfway into the video.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

37. Post #917
    August 2009
    798 Posts
    They are a bit different to clean, but it's easy to get used to.

Edited:

Tell that to my friend. He's been longboarding for three years now and has always drank gallons of the Loaded and Orangatang kool-aid, and despite going through two dervishes, a dancer, and a tan tien, he still claims Loaded makes the best boards.
    Loaded is terrible, i don't understand all the hype towards them, i have 80a stims which are really durable but they don't excel in any area, but they're currently the only broken in wheels i have so they're easy to slide. The concave on the tan tien sucks ass too, its nothing compared to other boards

Edited:

I ride reds, its worth it if you've got 20, had mine since the summer, they still ride really nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

38. Post #918
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,718 Posts
    how the fuck can he fund a loaded habit like that, they're expensive as hell. The only reason my one was good value for money was because they accidentally sent me a dervish and a vanguard for the price of a dervish

39. Post #919
    October 2009
    91 Posts
    everyone new to the longboard scene always thinks loaded is the best, but after 3 years ? wow

40. Post #920
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,718 Posts
    everyone new to the longboard scene always thinks loaded is the best, but after 3 years ? wow
    I don't mind my loaded, but knowing what I know now about longboarding I would definitely make a different choice next time.