1. Post #641
    I'd be lost in this world without my Hatsune Miku ^__^
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    http://www.nordboards.com/gusilotr2tr.html

These trucks are gold, you can turn like a motherfucker with them. It will take a bit to get used to, but it's totally worth it.

EDIT: Also, I recently switched from Lucky bearings to Reds. The Lucky's were smooth as fuck, but the Reds are SMOOTH AS FUCK..
    I have a set. Really fun to carve on but thats about it, can't really take them past 30 without some problems. I guess they'd be cash money if you put new bushings in them. If anyone wants a really surfy, turny truck these are the bomb. Gullwing has some decent stuff I have to admit, you really just gotta change the bushings.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #642
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,941 Posts
    Practice this for about a week straight. Any time you need to slow down, try foot braking until you feel comfortable doing it in pretty much all situations. After that, practice stepping off of your board at low speeds in all directions and eventually at higher speeds until you can do that too comfortably, jogging to a stop rather than being bound to your board all the way into a wreck.

I can footbrake from 25 mph and then step off at 10, to bend down and grab my board at the crosswalk.

I haven't fallen hard since I've taken the time to practice those two crucial things. It amazes me how many people learn to do such a thing without practicing bailing.
    Quoted for the new page - It really is important. One of my friends who laughed me off when I got on him about it just called me and said that he broke his nose and wrist on the side of a van at around 20-25 mph. I managed to stop myself from saying "Told you." until after I hit 'End'

I can't be serious enough about this. What happened to him was totally preventable. He said he was bombing the hill and about 20-30 feet in front of him the van came out and blocked the entire street. When he went to turn around it, the driver mistook which way he was going and reversed to get out of his way, putting the side panel right where he was going. He either could have stepped off and chased the board, or foot braked to almost no speed [and probably pulled a sharp turn at the end to prevent the wreck] and not be in a cast with a fucked up face.

3. Post #643
    June 2010
    6,357 Posts
    I have a set. Really fun to carve on but thats about it, can't really take them past 30 without some problems. I guess they'd be cash money if you put new bushings in them. If anyone wants a really surfy, turny truck these are the bomb. Gullwing has some decent stuff I have to admit, you really just gotta change the bushings.
    As said in the post, I use Reds. I don't try to get ~massive speed~ for the moment, longboarding is more of a transportation and cruising thing for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

4. Post #644
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    As said in the post, I use Reds. I don't try to get ~massive speed~ for the moment, longboarding is more of a transportation and cruising thing for me.
    I was talking completely about the trucks haha but my friends all ride reds. I don't, I ride $6 cheap-o bushings that I get from any longboard store. As long as you clean your bearings you will be just as fast as anyone else so long as the bearing was forged decently. I can out race all my friends even though they have $30 bearings simply because I have a better tuck. Reds are reputable though, I may pickup a pair to see what the fuss is about. You rocking sidewinders?

5. Post #645
    June 2010
    6,357 Posts
    I was talking completely about the trucks haha but my friends all ride reds. I don't, I ride $6 cheap-o bushings that I get from any longboard store. As long as you clean your bearings you will be just as fast as anyone else so long as the bearing was forged decently. I can out race all my friends even though they have $30 bearings simply because I have a better tuck. Reds are reputable though, I may pickup a pair to see what the fuss is about. You rocking sidewinders?
    My friend has them but he let me borrow them. I will definitely consider getting them though.

6. Post #646
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    My friend has them but he let me borrow them. I will definitely consider getting them though.
    If you wanna just cruise with them. Go for it. I enjoyed mine for awhile but make sure you can stop yourself and slow yourself down via footbreaking or you may bail hard.

7. Post #647
    June 2010
    6,357 Posts
    If you wanna just cruise with them. Go for it. I enjoyed mine for awhile but make sure you can stop yourself and slow yourself down via footbreaking or you may bail hard.
    Speaking of bailing hard, I was on my regular trucks and going down a steep hill. I'm not used to speed wobble, and don't know how to deal with it, and that's exactly what started happening. I bailed. Hard. Thankfully though, I'm dressing up as a soldier for 9/11, and the helmet and armor saved my ass and left me with a few bruises that could have easily turned into brain-outside-of-head disease if I hadn't been wearing it.

8. Post #648
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    146 Posts
    Does anyone know a good board for cruising? I was looking into a Landyacht Battleaxe but I was wondering if that was my best bet. Not looking for a hardcore downhill board but more of a board that can go fast for longer periods of time on flat with decent turning. (i.e at least a 90 degree turn)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

9. Post #649
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Does anyone know a good board for cruising? I was looking into a Landyacht Battleaxe but I was wondering if that was my best bet. Not looking for a hardcore downhill board but more of a board that can go fast for longer periods of time on flat with decent turning. (i.e at least a 90 degree turn)
    Yeah the battle axe should be fine. If you want a really surfy feel I suggest you swap out the bushings of the trucks. I personally don't reccomend bear trucks simply because I hate the bushing seat with a passion. In my opinion caliber trucks would be better to put on it. So my board setup suggestion to you would be: Landyachtz battle axe, 50 degree caliber trucks, 78a abec11 zigzags, bear spacers, and depending on your weight I can tell you some bushings for a fun ride.

Edited:

hmmm never really looked at this years battle axe. they really did it good this year, w concave and a nice snappy ride. Shit I wish I had one for pushing around, looks like a pretty versatile board.

10. Post #650
    June 2010
    6,357 Posts
    I'll link a few boards I've ridden and liked:
    http://www.nordboards.com/stowlpilosk.html
    http://www.nordboards.com/lovabaloco.html
    http://www.nordboards.com/se9babaloco.html

11. Post #651
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Speaking of bailing hard, I was on my regular trucks and going down a steep hill. I'm not used to speed wobble, and don't know how to deal with it, and that's exactly what started happening. I bailed. Hard. Thankfully though, I'm dressing up as a soldier for 9/11, and the helmet and armor saved my ass and left me with a few bruises that could have easily turned into brain-outside-of-head disease if I hadn't been wearing it.
    Glad your alright. Always pad up anytime you ride. I've hit the deck before going like 10mph, anything can happen. Like hose in the street at midnight, ouch.

Edited:

I'll link a few boards I've ridden and liked:
    http://www.nordboards.com/stowlpilosk.html -bad trucks and wheels
    http://www.nordboards.com/lovabaloco.html -fun ride but way overpriced
    http://www.nordboards.com/se9babaloco.html -bad wheels
    my thoughts on these. I'm personally not a fan of nordboards. So many better sites in my opinion.

12. Post #652
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    146 Posts
    What would the pricing be about for that setup? They have the same setup as this:
    http://www.landyachtz.com/D25.cfm?PID=306
    at my local skateshop but with Monster wheels instead of Zombie for about $250. Is that a little steep in price?

I don't know too much about longboarding as you can probably tell but I don't think that store is around here. I'm pretty limited on what I can buy unless I get it shipped but I'd rather just ride out of the store.

13. Post #653
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    What would the pricing be about for that setup? They have the same setup as this:
    http://www.landyachtz.com/D25.cfm?PID=306
    at my local skateshop but with Monster wheels instead of Zombie for about $250. Is that a little steep in price?
    $128 Battle Axe
    $50 50 Caliber trucks
    $45 ZigZags
    $5 Bearing Spacers
    $13 Bearings

Thats how I'd set it up personally. And its only $241. Well add like $5 for some bolts. I don't like bear trucks, I own a set. They kill venom bushings with their super restrictive seats and I don't care for rake in hangers. Caliber makes a really nice truck with a beefy hanger and straight axles, its quality and highly raved about.

14. Post #654
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    146 Posts
    Would a Landyachtz store carry all of those parts you think? Or would I have to order them?

15. Post #655
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Would a Landyachtz store carry all of those parts you think? Or would I have to order them?
    I doubt landyachtz carries anything else besides their own stuff. Man you live near a landyachtz store? Lucky dog. You can go to the store and talk to the guys about stuff if you want, or you can order my suggestion. Its up to you. What I would do is go to the store and test ride a few boards to get a feel for it. If they have other trucks carried than definitely try those too. I just prefer abec11 & caliber to landyachtz trucks & wheels.

16. Post #656
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    146 Posts
    I doubt landyachtz carries anything else besides their own stuff. Man you live near a landyachtz store? Lucky dog. You can go to the store and talk to the guys about stuff if you want, or you can order my suggestion. Its up to you. What I would do is go to the store and test ride a few boards to get a feel for it. If they have other trucks carried than definitely try those too. I just prefer abec11 & caliber to landyachtz trucks & wheels.
    Yeah haha about an hour away but pretty close. Thanks for the suggestions as well. I think I'll buy the default Battleaxe and then slowly buy the parts once I get a job again.

17. Post #657
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Yeah haha about an hour away but pretty close. Thanks for the suggestions as well. I think I'll buy the default Battleaxe and then slowly buy the parts once I get a job again.
    Buy the deck. And if you have friends who longboard see if they will loan you spare trucks and wheels. While you slowly buy the other stuff. This way you can try other trucks and wheels and really get a idea of what you like.

18. Post #658
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    146 Posts
    Buy the deck. And if you have friends who longboard see if they will loan you spare trucks and wheels. While you slowly buy the other stuff. This way you can try other trucks and wheels and really get a idea of what you like.
    Well I do have friends who do but all their spare parts are the ones that came with their boards. One of them has Evo trucks and wheels but I'm not sure if he would loan me them.

19. Post #659
    Dennab
    December 2009
    3,302 Posts

Just got this today, my first longboard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #660
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    5,430 Posts
    The other night, I was walking to my car in the school's parking garage and one of my class mates let me try his out. Fucking awesome. Thinking about buying one for next summer or maybe practice during the winter.
    Someone want to recommend me a board?

21. Post #661
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts

Just got this today, my first longboard
    I'm straight jealous. I want one so bad, looks like such a fun speedboard and easily slide-able.

Edited:

The other night, I was walking to my car in the school's parking garage and one of my class mates let me try his out. Fucking awesome. Thinking about buying one for next summer or maybe practice during the winter.
    Someone want to recommend me a board?
    What kind of riding do you want to do?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #662
    June 2010
    6,357 Posts
    Last night me and three friends bombed a few hills. Shit was fun until some asshole with his lights off decides to almost run us down.

23. Post #663
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Oh my god. Abec 11 classic thane slides so awesome, loving these pink powerballs.

24. Post #664
    June 2010
    6,357 Posts
    Today I painted my deck. It's now Jake from AT stretching his arm into clouds on the other end. Will post pics sometime tomorrow once it's dried and clear coated.

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

25. Post #665
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,624 Posts
    Just ordered this exact thing.

(got it for cheaper)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

26. Post #666
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    Just ordered this exact thing.

(got it for cheaper)

Nice, the Ibach is a great deck.

27. Post #667
    Ah... tits!
    August 2009
    4,364 Posts
    I want something to cruise and I live near a ton of hills, what should I get? I have prorblems with speed wobbles. Looking for distance, ~200$ price range.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

28. Post #668
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    I want something to cruise and I live near a ton of hills, what should I get? I have prorblems with speed wobbles. Looking for distance, ~200$ price range.
    Get some caliber trucks. Get some venom bushings tuned to downhill for it. You got yourself a stable setup perfect for riding hills.

Might I suggest
    http://www.switchbacklongboards.com/...productID=2910
    http://www.switchbacklongboards.com/...productID=2231
    http://www.switchbacklongboards.com/...productID=1329 ~ 78a
    http://www.switchbacklongboards.com/...productID=1563

Not sure if you need grip tape and I can't seem to find any bearing spacers on the site but those are $5 and you won't need them right away but when you want to slide make sure you get a set. Trust me your gonna want to slide to slow down.

Edited:

Ah here they are
    http://www.switchbacklongboards.com/...productID=1379 8x10 is what you need.

This setup may be a little over $200 but it'll be worth it in my opinion.

Edited:

Latest Abec11 video, sick shredding man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #669
    Ah... tits!
    August 2009
    4,364 Posts
    Thanks man, going to look in to it and most likely get it, ill post here if/when i get it. :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

30. Post #670
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Thanks man, going to look in to it and most likely get it, ill post here if/when i get it. :D
    Look around on switchback for stuff you may like. Your gonna have to keep it under $100 for a board though so earthwing and jet would be a best bet. I think that jet deck will suit you nicely. Plus the flashbacks can be slide very easily yet still retain a decent amount of grip. Caliber makes some super dope trucks and they are a personal favorite of mine.

31. Post #671
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    2,584 Posts
    Anyone here that is knowledgeable with truck design and whatnot?

I need advice for my design for push-rod suspension trucks.

32. Post #672
    Donny, you're out of your element!
    October 2009
    507 Posts
    So I started work on a Shlongboard today and I'd say it was going well.

I've already replaced the wheels with my old mindless bandits.

Still to do:
    - Get angled risers to increase turning.
    - Either cut some cut-outs or sand wheel wells (Still need to work out which)

This is my first go at building a shlongboard so i'm open to criticism/suggestions.
    Sorry about the awful pictures, taken with my iPhone then shamelessly rehosted from my facebook.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

33. Post #673
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Anyone here that is knowledgeable with truck design and whatnot?

I need advice for my design for push-rod suspension trucks.
    I'd go to silverfishlongboarding.com for that

Edited:

schlong
    the angled risers were a excellent idea. thats all i have to input.

34. Post #674
    June 2010
    6,357 Posts
    So today me and two friends went to skate at an indoor skatepark. It was my first time there, but they've both gone before. So many people were asking me what I was riding, and a good lot complimented my art.

Feels goodman.

35. Post #675
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    So today me and two friends went to skate at an indoor skatepark. It was my first time there, but they've both gone before. So many people were asking me what I was riding, and a good lot complimented my art.

Feels goodman.
    How long is your deck? I always felt it'd be awkward to take a longboard to a shortboard park simply because nothing is built for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #676
    June 2010
    6,357 Posts
    How long is your deck? I always felt it'd be awkward to take a longboard to a shortboard park simply because nothing is built for it.
    42"

We basically cruised and went down the hills. Took a bit to get used to, but it was fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #677
    January 2008
    645 Posts
    Longboarding looks like a lot of fun. I skateboarded on and off these past years and I kind of want to try out longboarding now instead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events

38. Post #678
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    42"

We basically cruised and went down the hills. Took a bit to get used to, but it was fun.
    I've done this as well, if the park is relatively big enough, you can do some pretty fun stuff with a longdeck there.

39. Post #679
    October 2008
    698 Posts
    So I started work on a Shlongboard today and I'd say it was going well.

I've already replaced the wheels with my old mindless bandits.

Still to do:
    - Get angled risers to increase turning.
    - Either cut some cut-outs or sand wheel wells (Still need to work out which)

This is my first go at building a shlongboard so i'm open to criticism/suggestions.
    Sorry about the awful pictures, taken with my iPhone then shamelessly rehosted from my facebook.
    For my shlongboard I am going to get some carbonfiber cause when you do the cut outs it will really weak. I personally sanded in the wells. But angled risers are a good idea!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

40. Post #680
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    Question of the day; I need to get new bushings for my Black 180s on my Robot, I'm thinking 85a's, but what shape? I'm leaning towards cylinders.

Also, Nipples.