1. Post #121
    March 2009
    1,088 Posts
    mobrockers, thats what I'm talking about, it will be fixed!

2. Post #122
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    12,055 Posts
    mobrockers, thats what I'm talking about, it will be fixed!
    ok lol, thought you were talking about the falling trough, which isnt my point.

3. Post #123
    December 2008
    148 Posts
    Ok, but what i mean is that, while you are outside of the shield onderneath the city, there is air, while there shouldn't be. will post screens in a sec.

See, no LS window with air etc.

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/1189/sbatlantisb08q0000.jpghttp://img269.imageshack.us/img269/3453/sbatlantisb08q0001.jpghttp://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1568/sbatlantisb08q0002.jpghttp://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1306/sbatlantisb08q0003.jpghttp://img269.imageshack.us/img269/9189/sbatlantisb08q0004.jpg
    I was wondering when someone would notice this :P
    This will actually not be fixed unless it absolutely must be, due to the way spacebuild works.
    Atmospheres in SB3 can be a sphere, a cube or a brush.
    In this map, it's a sphere centred on the base of the tower, meaning the top half of the sphere is exactly matched with the surface of the shield. This has the unfortunate side-effect of also being a similar size below the city. For this reason (amongst others) I placed the city at the bottom of the grid to minimize how obvious it is.
    The only alternative is to use brush environments, which as yet aren't completely working in spacebuild as there are problems with moving between environment brushes, also making a high enough poly hemispherical brush is not at all efficient in hammer.

And i think this thing should be invisible :P

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/3784/sbatlantisb08q0005.jpg
    Finally =.=
    Yep, it should be invisible, but unfortunately I have no idea why it's there! There is no model at that location, nor are any of the models unaccounted for. At worst I will fix it by copying the entire contents of the map to a new file. That usually fixes weird Hammer problems.

mobrockers, on the server it is true, but with the model shield (if bunglist wants it) it will be fixed! So only Puddle jumpers will go through the shield, people will stay inside!
    Not sure how this would be possible just using Hammer - it would require the creation of a who new gamemode and would confuse almost everyone who plays on the map, besides Atlantis geeks (since any attempt at using clip brushes would not prevent noclip and teleporter triggers would be hacky).
    It would also specifically discourage the making of contraptions in favour of using entity ships, which I don't want to do - garrysmod is what it is today through encouraging building and limiting the player as little as possible. Sorry if I gave the impression that the shield would limit anything besides atmosphere.

The only way I can see this being possible (in a way that I think is acceptable) is to make a specifically built version of the stargate shield entity (in the addon or is it the McKay pack?) that would simulate this behaviour while allowing the restriction to be turned off. I have no experience of creating this kind of addon nor do I have permission to edit the existing shield entity.

4. Post #124
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    12,055 Posts
    I was wondering when someone would notice this :P
    This will actually not be fixed unless it absolutely must be, due to the way spacebuild works.
    Atmospheres in SB3 can be a sphere, a cube or a brush.
    In this map, it's a sphere centred on the base of the tower, meaning the top half of the sphere is exactly matched with the surface of the shield. This has the unfortunate side-effect of also being a similar size below the city. For this reason (amongst others) I placed the city at the bottom of the grid to minimize how obvious it is.
    The only alternative is to use brush environments, which as yet aren't completely working in spacebuild as there are problems with moving between environment brushes, also making a high enough poly hemispherical brush is not at all efficient in hammer.

Yep, it should be invisible, but unfortunately I have no idea why it's there! There is no model at that location, nor are any of the models unaccounted for. At worst I will fix it by copying the entire contents of the map to a new file. That usually fixes weird Hammer problems.

Not sure how this would be possible just using Hammer - it would require the creation of a who new gamemode and would confuse almost everyone who plays on the map, besides Atlantis geeks (since any attempt at using clip brushes would not prevent noclip and teleporter triggers would be hacky).
    It would also specifically discourage the making of contraptions in favour of using entity ships, which I don't want to do - garrysmod is what it is today through encouraging building and limiting the player as little as possible. Sorry if I gave the impression that the shield would limit anything besides atmosphere.

The only way I can see this being possible (in a way that I think is acceptable) is to make a specifically built version of the stargate shield entity (in the addon or is it the McKay pack?) that would simulate this behaviour while allowing the restriction to be turned off. I have no experience of creating this kind of addon nor do I have permission to edit the existing shield entity.
    The shield is in the Stargate pack, but in the Mckay's pack there is a atlantis shield gen model for it, doesnt work with me though, somehow it doesnt show up on my shield Stool list...

So players wont be blocked by the shield either? thats a shame.

5. Post #125
    August 2008
    99 Posts
    More reference material for the exterior of Atlantis, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57ojp...eature=related, at the end of the video are some pictures of Atlantis, hope it helps

6. Post #126
    March 2009
    1,088 Posts
    bunglist, you don't have to modify the shield entity, you should just derive it!
    Then you can modify it, and by the way, it can be set up if an entity can go through or not...

7. Post #127
    December 2008
    148 Posts
    New beta (10a) now up on the server.

Now has all the smaller buildings as models
    Default spawn point in new gateroom (old one will be removed next version to make space for Jumper bay)

I'll link a download here in a few hours.

8. Post #128
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    677 Posts
    Well hurry up and do that, The download from your server is still at one bar.

9. Post #129
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Useful Useful x 3Informative Informative x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #130
    March 2009
    1,088 Posts
    Iīll try to add some links to useful stuff:
    /*
    screenies
    I love screenies
    */

Are those models yours? If yes, could I get them? wanna make some nice BG for my Atlantis Windows 7 theme...

11. Post #131
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,745 Posts
    Are those models yours? If yes, could I get them? wanna make some nice BG for my Atlantis Windows 7 theme...
    No they are not my models.
    Just one more thing, Atlantis Theme??

12. Post #132
    March 2009
    1,088 Posts
    dije:
    Yep, some nice atlants BG's with 30second changing cycle, some nice sounds, and more!

13. Post #133
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    12,055 Posts
    dije, that are some awesome images.

14. Post #134
    August 2009
    1,388 Posts
    hey bunglist, how about that link to the download you were talking about ?

15. Post #135
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    4,351 Posts
    http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l104/Vilandra06/atwip5.jpg
    Shit, this is so fucking awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #136
    December 2008
    148 Posts
    Very nice pics guys, will come in very handy for detailing.

hey bunglist, how about that link to the download you were talking about ?
    As for the download, sorry for the delay, I was about to release a version when an eagle-eyed mate spotted some brushes I'd misaligned and a missing physics model, so I went straight on to fix those before I do a release here.

I'm also messing with some "more shield-y" shield textures and have been having fun with the wonderfully logical Valve Material Format...

Anyhoo, beta 10f will be up here very shortly (within the hour).

Edited:
    Download link, beta 10f
    http://upload.bunglist.com/maps/sb_atlantis_b10f.zip

17. Post #137
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    12,055 Posts
    Kewl, now i only need to Format my HDD, install everything, wait a couple of days for it to finish, hope the BSOD at system startup is gone and i can start playing OMG.

No j/k...

18. Post #138
    March 2009
    1,088 Posts
    Oh, Im so big idiot!
    bunglist, please search the fpsbanana prefab database for stargate! There are some very good prefabs, like the main stairs fo atlantis, and so on...

19. Post #139
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,745 Posts
    Kewl, now i only need to Format my HDD, install everything, wait a couple of days for it to finish, hope the BSOD at system startup is gone and i can start playing OMG.

No j/k...
    All of the screenshots i posted is just help for anyone who makes atlantis maps, and in this case bunglist. It doesnīt look like them in the maps but we can hope it will when the map is done, canīt we bunglist?

20. Post #140
    December 2008
    148 Posts
    Oh, Im so big idiot!
    bunglist, please search the fpsbanana prefab database for stargate! There are some very good prefabs, like the main stairs fo atlantis, and so on...
    Will do :P

All of the screenshots i posted is just help for anyone who makes atlantis maps, and in this case bunglist. It doesnīt look like them in the maps but we can hope it will when the map is done, canīt we bunglist?
    When we get to adding detail I'll add as much as I can without bloating the map too much. Using propper means we may be able to get it somewhere near, but the screenshots of those models are probably still a bit higher poly than we can do in the source engine in a multiplayer map. Still, we can aim for it :P

21. Post #141
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    12,055 Posts
    wasnt talking about the screens lol, was just saying im fucked...

22. Post #142
    April 2009
    360 Posts
    dije:
    Yep, some nice atlants BG's with 30second changing cycle, some nice sounds, and more!
    that sounds awesome
    any chance you might be able to upload that for us ?
    i just got windows 7 and the themes are boring lol

23. Post #143
    August 2009
    1,388 Posts
    You could ask votekick about some ship models because he has some sweet things on his website.
    (http://www.votekick.com.au/projects.php)

24. Post #144
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    12,055 Posts
    You could ask votekick about some ship models because he has some sweet things on his website.
    (http://www.votekick.com.au/projects.php)
    He stopped, doesnt care about us anymore, don't say its on facepunch and you might have a chance.

25. Post #145
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,745 Posts
    Here is a prefab for everyone who wantīs to use it, but give me credits. ^,^
    http://www.filefront.com/14906205/at..._gatething.vmf
    Itīs the thing around the gate on atlantis.
    Hereīs a screenshot:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #146
    March 2009
    1,088 Posts
    that sounds awesome
    any chance you might be able to upload that for us ?
    i just got windows 7 and the themes are boring lol
    Well, if I can get a nice Atlantis and Daedalus model for 3ds max or lightwave, then I will make some screenshots, and it will be finished! Now, I use an advanced version of Rays of light, with many colors (I can upload it somewhere if you want, but then PM me...)

27. Post #147
    April 2008
    842 Posts
    He stopped, doesnt care about us anymore, don't say its on facepunch and you might have a chance.
    I don't understand the second part, but the first part makes Facepunch :saddowns:

Anyway, nice map!

28. Post #148
    November 2007
    92 Posts
    hey maps looking great, if i find any screen caps what would be any used to you ill link :)

29. Post #149
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    12,055 Posts
    I don't understand the second part, but the first part makes Facepunch :saddowns:

Anyway, nice map!
    he hates facepunch, maybe if you say its for like making a movie or something youll get it :P

30. Post #150
    April 2009
    360 Posts
    Well, if I can get a nice Atlantis and Daedalus model for 3ds max or lightwave, then I will make some screenshots, and it will be finished! Now, I use an advanced version of Rays of light, with many colors (I can upload it somewhere if you want, but then PM me...)
    Well a few days ago I downloaded a Atlantis and Daedalus model from the Google SketchUp warehouse and added a city shield to the Atlantis model I downloaded.
    I could export the models as .3ds if you would like.

31. Post #151
    March 2009
    1,088 Posts
    Well a few days ago I downloaded a Atlantis and Daedalus model from the Google SketchUp warehouse and added a city shield to the Atlantis model I downloaded.
    I could export the models as .3ds if you would like.

I don't like the sketchup to 3ds export, because it does a lot of unnecessary edges. But you can export them and send to me via PM if you want!

32. Post #152
    April 2009
    360 Posts
    I don't like the sketchup to 3ds export, because it does a lot of unnecessary edges. But you can export them and send to me via PM if you want!
    sure will
    there not the best models but they look pretty good
    ill upload in a few hours when i get back home
    im on my iPhone

33. Post #153
    December 2008
    148 Posts
    Here is a prefab for everyone who wantīs to use it, but give me credits. ^,^
    http://www.filefront.com/14906205/at..._gatething.vmf
    Itīs the thing around the gate on atlantis.
    Hereīs a screenshot:
    [IMG]pic snip[/IMG]
    Thanks dije, I've just tried it in the new gateroom and with a little scaling it fits well.
    One problem though, you didn't nodraw any of it and with 1242 faces it's taking rather a long time to do - I had to nodraw the lot and am retexturing it all from scratch then will turn it into a model with propper.

I know the Prometheus model I threw in is not of a very high quality - either I'll redo it later or we can find somebody who is will ing to share their model (votekick's would be good, anyone know how to contact him?)

It will be a short while until the next beta as all the things that need doing next are fiddly and time consuming, so please be patient.

34. Post #154
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,745 Posts

35. Post #155
    October 2009
    119 Posts
    Thanks dije, I've just tried it in the new gateroom and with a little scaling it fits well.
    One problem though, you didn't nodraw any of it and with 1242 faces it's taking rather a long time to do - I had to nodraw the lot and am retexturing it all from scratch then will turn it into a model with propper.

I know the Prometheus model I threw in is not of a very high quality - either I'll redo it later or we can find somebody who is will ing to share their model (votekick's would be good, anyone know how to contact him?)

It will be a short while until the next beta as all the things that need doing next are fiddly and time consuming, so please be patient.

I have him on my Steamfreinds, Hes pretty tired of Gmod atm, but i can Ask him if you want?

36. Post #156
    December 2008
    148 Posts
    Here is some info of where the rooms are in atlantis:
    -pic snip-
    These were all i found.
    Some very handy pics there, especially the jumper bay one, thanks!
    I have him on my Steamfreinds, Hes pretty tired of Gmod atm, but i can Ask him if you want?
    Flyboi is also going to try to contact him, but if you see him online you could maybe ask him yeah - please don't bother him too much though :P
    His Daedalus model would be a really great replacement for the Prometheus I have there at the moment.

Map Progress:
    I've retextured, converted to a model and added dije's gate surround - look good I think
    Mattster.t has made some nice lighting prefabs that should work well for most of the pillar-like lights.
    I'm still working on the brushwork for the gateroom and planning how to do the path in and out for the jumpers.

Question for anyone who has tested the map recently:
    Do you think the surrounding buildings need to be made taller? I think a 25% (ish) height increase would look better, what are your opinions?

37. Post #157
    December 2008
    148 Posts
    New Beta: 10 L
    http://upload.bunglist.com/maps/sb_atlantis_b10l.zip

With:
    samples of the new light pillars,
    the new gate surround,
    expanded balcony, beginning to move toward the final outline shape, added railings.
    some brushwork redone, lots of small adjustments.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

38. Post #158
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,745 Posts
    Nice, really nice. Maybe you should decrease the height on my prefab.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #159
    December 2008
    148 Posts
    Nice, really nice. Maybe you should decrease the height on my prefab.
    I had to pretty much double it in scale to make it fit. Reducing its height would leave a big gap between the top and the ceiling.

40. Post #160
    August 2008
    23 Posts
    Welcome, I had something that intrest you ;]

I found a good model of dedalus in SG-Mod, if you want it just PM me, and I send you a link. I can't find out who is a creator of this model.

Ps. If you want something just ask, meaby i can help you ;]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Poland Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)