1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,012 Posts
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...irst-time.html

Armed officers placed on routine foot patrol for first time
    Police officers armed with submachine guns are to be deployed on routine patrol of Britain's streets for the first time.

By Matthew Moore
    Published: 1:43PM BST 22 Oct 2009
    Close up of armed police, MET police with guns, armed police: Armed officers placed on routine foot patrol for first time
    A hand-picked team from CO19 will carry Heckler & Koch MP5 submachine guns in gun crime hotspots Photo: PA

A hand-picked team from CO19, the Metropolitan Police's elite firearms unit, will walk the beat in gun crime hotspots where armed gangs have turned entire estates into "no go" zones.

Local politicians and anti-gun campaigners have reacted with anger at the news that the officers will carry Heckler & Koch MP5 submachine guns capable of firing up to 800 rounds-per-minute and Glock semi-automatic pistols

CO19 currently provides armed support in volatile situations like sieges and terrorist attacks, with its officers on constant call in vehicles around London.

But this is the first time that armed officers will be sent on permanent foot patrol anywhere in the country outside Northern Ireland.

"Historically, CO19 was only called out when someone rang up to report a gun crime," said Inspector Derek Carroll, head of the new unit.

"But a lot of streets in London have young people in postcode gangs, aged 14 and upwards, and a lot of communities feel that they are controlling areas of estates.

"We are looking at gangs that have access to firearms and will be robust in dealing with them and disrupting and deterring them."

The team of 18 constables, led by an inspector and two sergeants, will begin their patrols of Brixton, Haringey and Tottenham on Nov 9, following successful trial schemes.

The officers some on motorbikes will carrying out weapon "sweeps" of their neighbourhoods in an effort to deter gang members from carrying guns, and are also intended to be a reassuring presence for residents.

"My view is that just because you carry a gun, it should not affect the way you police," Inspector Carroll added. "We chat to people and they love it."

Unlike their counterparts in the United States, British police officers not routinely carry guns, although armed patrols are frequently deployed in the aftermath of shootings and to guard potential terrorist targets.

In October 2000 armed officers on the beat were temporarily introduced in Nottingham after a string of drug-related deaths.

Jennette Arnold, a Labour London Assembly member for northeast London constituency, said that the patrols threatened to tear up the contract between the community and the police.

"No one asked us or the people I represent if this was acceptable and when they do I shall tell them it isn't. It isn't acceptable to throw away the principle of policing by consent," she said.

Gill Marshall-Andrews, chairwoman of the Gun Control Network campaign group, described the routine arming of officers as a "very retrograde step" and warned that it could lead to higher levels of gun crime.

"This is likely to raise the stakes and encourage more criminals, especially young criminals, to arm themselves," she said.

"Gun crime in this country is very low by international standards and that's largely because there aren't many guns about. Arming police officers sends out all the wrong messages."

The Police Federation, which represents rank-and-file officers, has long campaigned against attempts to arm a larger section of the force, but said it had no objection to the new scheme.

Simon Reed, vice-chairman of the national federation, said that although majority of his members did not wish be to armed, forces must be free to respond to particular threats.

"The ethos will always be that the British police are unarmed, but we need officers to be able to use firearms when appropriate," he said. "My feeling is that the current balance is just about right."

The Home Office declined to comment, saying that the operational use of firearms was a matter for local forces.

Officers from CO19, formerly known as SO19, have been involved in a number of high-profile incidents in the capital, including the shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes at Stockwell station in 2005.

Gun-related crime is on the increase in London with 1,736 gun crimes reported in London between April and September this year up 17 per cent on 2008.

The problem of turf violence between drugs gangs was highlighted earlier this month with a spate of shootings in north London linked to two Turkish gangs, the Tottenham Boys and the Bombacilar.

Gill Marshall-Andrews, chairwoman of the Gun Control Network campaign group, described the routine arming of officers as a "very retrograde step" and warned that it could lead to higher levels of gun crime.

:britain:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 27Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 5Useful Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    4,102 Posts
    :cop:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 17 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,012 Posts
    :cop:
    Oi, put that nightstick away, you'll make nightstick crime go up!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 53Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,101 Posts
    The rifle in the photo is clearly not an MP5, neither is the G36 behind it.

Is there really any gun crime in the UK at all that would warrant this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    October 2009
    64 Posts
    To be honest I don't think anyone has a clear way to tackle gun crime.

If police use guns, its inhumane and somehow will 'encourage gun crime' someone explain this to me. Gangs will start to import more guns to fight police maybe? Most gangs in Britain use modified air soft weapons, handguns mostly or WW1-WW2 service revolvers. Trading illegal weaponry can be very difficult for a country like Britain, one reason being is we are small and a island, its harder to bring things in from another country without bribery or cleverly smuggled because things are tightly monitored, owning a gun license is the most impossible thing you can do in Britain, limiting it more. You can't expect police officers to patrol areas were there are known gun threats, for these patrols they should be armed and ready to defend themselves and anyone else in danger; you want them to whack them with a baton or something? Oh I forgot, apparently that's 'police aggression'.

So in my personal opinion I think anti gun activists are just idiots who wouldn't even know how to handle these situations if they were ordered to handle them. Though we don't really need gun patrols as much because of the reasons stated above, what we do need is better raids and capturing illegal weapon- Oh wait, I forgot its against human rights to raid peoples homes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    August 2008
    891 Posts
    Would stop nob heads being as cocky, maybe...

Edited:

It doesn't say that that gun is... All that COD4 knowledge gone to your head hmmm?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 5Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    9,200 Posts

It's a stock photo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    17,707 Posts
    News thing posted:
    Unlike their counterparts in the United States, British police officers not routinely carry guns
    Uhm, why not?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    January 2008
    613 Posts
    Finally
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,751 Posts
    about time Britain grew a pair.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

11. Post #11
    August 2008
    891 Posts
    about time Britain grew a pair.
    Uh hum, the government you mean!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,751 Posts
    Uh hum, the government you mean!
    yes.. yes the government is what I meant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    October 2009
    64 Posts
    yes.. yes the government is what I meant.
    The thing is Britain is not that violent to start giving officers guns, giving officers guns can be extremely risky business, guns should only be used if there are known threats in the area with weaponry, I wouldn't like to see officers walk around with handguns everyday.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,618 Posts
    How cute, British Officers finally getting guns and people are freaking out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Dumb Dumb x 3Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Glod Menber
    June 2008
    6,700 Posts
    I'd rather have a few British armed guards protecting my streets rather than have some dumbfuck gangbangers attack my street.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    December 2007
    1,635 Posts
    Ha, guns do solve problems.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,618 Posts
    I'd rather have a few British armed guards protecting my streets rather than have some dumbfuck gangbangers attack my street.
    I got the creepy feeling that you can twist this to eventually say, "I'd rather have some bored government worker watching me at night then potentially getting raped." Or something similar.

This is how Totalitarian Governments are made, with comments like the one you just wrote.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Glod Menber
    June 2008
    6,700 Posts
    I actually realized that, well I'll put it differently. I'd rather have armed guards that are nice and stuff rather than stupid gangbangers that shoot innocent people.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    September 2007
    634 Posts
    Hooray, time for more repetitions of London MET officers shooting random suspects multiple times in the head, only this time, with bigger, more dangerous weapons.

There are no such 'no go zones' in the UK, just areas that are dodgier than others.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gay for BDA
    November 2005
    8,408 Posts
    How cute, British Officers finally getting guns and people are freaking out.
    They're not 'finally getting guns'. There have always been armed officers guarding specific areas, i.e., Sovereign's Palaces.

Only these 'special' armed officers are patrolling that one area.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Singapore Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,618 Posts
    There have always been armed officers guarding specific areas, i.e., Sovereign's Palaces.

Plus, only these 'special' armed officers are patrolling that one area.
    Well fuck, I wish we had people patrolling, say, Over-The-Rhine or New Orleans (the entire city.)

22. Post #22
    "Gold Member"
    Dennab
    May 2007
    13,705 Posts
    What kind of crime goes on in Britain that warrants officers carrying around submachine guns?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    1,219 Posts
    What kind of crime goes on in Britain that warrants officers carrying around submachine guns?
    The same kind of crime that warrants the existance of a special task force like the CO19.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gay for BDA
    November 2005
    8,408 Posts
    hoodies with knives and guns going brap brap brap stab stab mutha fucka
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Singapore Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    October 2009
    64 Posts
    hoodies with knives and guns going brap brap brap stab stab mutha fucka
    More like gangs that do actually have access to weaponry, and have the cocky attitude like you have just shown to try and use them to prove their worth to the pack. I miss the days of old London gangsters, they did things with class.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    June 2009
    1,760 Posts
    Though we don't really need gun patrols as much because of the reasons stated above, what we do need is better raids and capturing illegal weapon- Oh wait, I forgot its against human rights to raid peoples homes.
    I don't mind respecting other people's rights but if it's interfering with the law then it's fucking stupid.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,157 Posts
    jesus christ they're letting the police have guns to enforce the law and protect themselves and others what is this world coming to
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Facepunch Babysitter
    July 2009
    12,307 Posts
    I can't tell you how many times I have seen British Bobbies get their shit tossed by other people, it's about time armed individuals kept the peace, good for you guys.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,618 Posts
    jesus christ they're letting the police have guns to enforce the law and protect themselves and others what is this world coming to
    I just find it funny since we've had it since God knows when, but it sounds eerily totalitarian when the British finally do it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    October 2009
    64 Posts
    I just find it funny since we've had it since God knows when, but it sounds eerily totalitarian when the British finally do it.
    That is because America is considerably more violent than Britain, there is easier access to weaponry to the normal guy when in Britain there isn't. Brits play villains in Hollywood movies so it only makes sense, there is something sinister about us I guess.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,618 Posts
    That is because America is considerably more violent than Britain, there is easier access to weaponry to the normal guy when in Britain there isn't. Brits play villains in Hollywood movies so it only makes sense, there is something sinister about us I guess.
    It's the suave accent, we fucking can't get enough of it.

That, and you'll always be dirty Brits to us .

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    41,729 Posts
    Tea heists

everybody on the floor or the crumpet gets it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 12 (list)

33. Post #33
    February 2009
    3,810 Posts
    Great, so now when they accidentally shoot someone it kills them dead at sub machine gun speed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,618 Posts
    Great, so now when they accidentally shoot someone it kills them dead at sub machine gun speed.
    Now you can have 800 accidents a minute!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 14 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,679 Posts
    I got the creepy feeling that you can twist this to eventually say, "I'd rather have some bored government worker watching me at night then potentially getting raped." Or something similar.

This is how Totalitarian Governments are made, with comments like the one you just wrote.
    I think you're taking it a bit overboard there. It's not a case of, "constant security, or none," there's a happy medium.

Plus, have you ever lived in the UK? Not a very nice place at night time... not very nice during the day either, but the night is especially bad. Bunch of neds try starting shit with you anytime you're within their line of fucking sight. If the police will scare them away then good riddance I say.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,618 Posts
    I think you're taking it a bit overboard there.

Plus, have you ever lived in the UK? Not a very nice place at night time... not very nice during the day either, but the night is especially bad. Bunch of neds try starting shit with you anytime you're within their line of fucking sight. If the police will scare them away then good riddance I say.
    I always assumed that it was the States that was fucking horrible at night, and that England was relatively safe at night.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    17,707 Posts
    Britian
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    The thing is Britain is not that violent to start giving officers guns, giving officers guns can be extremely risky business, guns should only be used if there are known threats in the area with weaponry, I wouldn't like to see officers walk around with handguns everyday.
    Really? I live in the US, and when I was in grade school, we occasionally had a county policeman in the building carrying a handgun. It wasn't like he was busting 8 year old thugs or anything. Like they would just sometimes walk into the building for whatever reason with a gun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    3,710 Posts
    lolpolicestate
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    January 2009
    21,065 Posts
    Having police without guns is silly.

It's like having firemen to take out major fires only using blankets.

Edited:

At least 9mm semi auto gun should be obvious.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Czech Republic Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)