1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    3,786 Posts
    Hey guys, just stumbled in here.

I'm interested in pursuing the sport/hobby known as airsoft. Thing is, my aprents do not want to let me do it. I'm certain there are free airsoft fields in/around Pittsburgh and they're saying it costs too much money. No it doesn't.

Right now, I'm just looking at either a Well-Fire P90 or a D-Boys M4 CQBR/RIS. Both are AEGs. I would also want a face mask (just a nice, cheap mesh one that can be found on the same site) and obviously BBs.

Any advice on the first issue? Any tips on which gun I should choose?

Thanks in advance.

2. Post #2
    POLITICAN
    August 2008
    7,165 Posts
    Mesh isn't accepted on 99% of the fields in the US.

Both that M4 and P90 arn't considered AEG's but LPEG's. They suck ass in everything. If your budget is 50$ then you won't get very far at all. I'd say minimum of 100$.

3. Post #3
    March 2009
    169 Posts
    Dont start with a high priced or blowback gun. my advice is to get a pistol first. I use spring cause if you add up Co2 prices, it makes a alot of needed money. I recommend http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_i...ducts_id=24193 . If your gonna go heavy into airsoft i recommend http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_i...ducts_id=24322
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    POLITICAN
    August 2008
    7,165 Posts
    Dont start with a high priced or blowback gun. my advice is to get a pistol first. I use spring cause if you add up Co2 prices, it makes a alot of needed money. I recommend http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_i...ducts_id=24193 . If your gonna go heavy into airsoft i recommend http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_i...ducts_id=24322
    He's going to be playing on a field. Those guns won't get him anywhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    March 2009
    169 Posts
    He's going to be playing on a field. Those guns won't get him anywhere.
    Farther than what he wanted at least.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    3,786 Posts
    From what I see, both guns are actually pretty good; good reviews on the M4.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,757 Posts
    For the first issue, if you want to get on your parents good side start with a cheap springer of sorts and keep it only to your backyard. Practice safety by using eye protection, not pointing and shooting at animals or people (unless it's in a game), keeping your finger off the trigger til you're ready to shoot, keep the gun safety on, and whatever you do DO NOT BRANDISH THE GUNS IN PUBLIC. THAT INCLUDES THE STREETS IN FRONT OF YOUR HOUSE. I started off my first year just shooting cans in the backyard. My dad didn't care, but my mom started seeing bbs. So she found out, didn't like it at first, but eventually she it grew on her. Now she thinks it's good firearms safety training and practice. Just don't be a little douche running around the streets with it, your parents will hate you for it when the police are called on you. Keep it inside an enclosed backyard or a designated field.

As for the guns. Trust me, I know people who had the Well P90. It's gravity fed, so the bbs have to roll from the mag into the barrel. And the range sucks. Don't trust gun reviews on a site that sells those guns, the majority of the time they're written by 12 year olds.

For a first gun, I'd recommend a springer. Now everyone here says you're going to get owned on the field if you use a springer against an AEG. Not quite true. A great affordable option for a beginning player are the UTG, DE and other rebrands of the multishot shotguns. Even if you're not playing against people, they're a blast to use. These shotguns fire 3 bbs after each pump, and are quite accurate. The ammo is held in shells, 30 rounds per shell so you get 10 shots before you have to reload.

I come with 5 years experience of skirmishing will all the high end AEG's and owning over 4 high end AEGs at any one time. Earlier this year I decided to buy one of these shotguns for CQB. I was simply blown away by how useful they are. There are times where I make more kills with the shotgun than an AEG. If these were out when I first started I would have bought one.

Exact one I have.
    http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_inf...oducts_id=5903

Other shotguns (look for the multi shot versions)
    http://www.airsoftgi.com/index.php?c...g6jv3d4ncmkce1

Shells are dirt cheap compared to AEG mags
    http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_inf...oducts_id=3222

Now if you are dead set on an AEG, the cheapest guns I can recommend would be the JG MP5 or CYMA CM.028 AK-47.

JG MP5A5 (there's other variants for the same price too)
    http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_inf...oducts_id=2409

CYMA CM.028 AK-47 ( I think this a newer version of it, the price use to be only $80)
    http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_inf...oducts_id=1484

Edit:

Forgot to recommend a mask. Me and my dad have recently switched over to these masks, and they're much better than paintball masks. So far they haven't fogged up much at all, but the great thing about this mask is it has a built in fan. It runs on 2 AA batteries and the fan also features a turbo feature. Sounds like a hairdryer when you run the turbo though, so use it when you're not in the middle of a fight or sneaking about. It's also low profile so you can actually shoulder and place your cheek on the stock. The only downside to the mask, the lack of sufficient foam padding. It comes standard with some high density foam padding that puts a lot of pressure on your face. Not only that, but it leaves an open area on the sides where bbs can be shot into the lens. We fixed this issue by adding sticky backed foam and slapped it on where it was needed to protect and to add comfort.

http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/...oducts_id=4465

If you have any questions or need some help deciding what to buy, let me know, that's one of the main reasons I'm here.

8. Post #8
    July 2008
    848 Posts
    a question about those masks, are they ansi approved? i've looked at them before and it doesn't say exactly. and i can't find manufacturer site.

Edited:

also, any probs with the stock on your shotty?

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,757 Posts
    Not sure honestly, didn't check for any of those Z87 ratings molding into it yet. But the masks have taken hits and seem to be fine.

As for the stock on my shotgun, it's fallen off. Before that I could twist the stock a full 360 degrees. But I kind of like it without the stock, makes it easier to carry in my shotgun scabbard.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    1,727 Posts
    I like having my stock on my shotgun, but that's just me. I'm actually thinking about getting one of the versions without a stock built in so I can have a shotgun backup easily accessible if/when I ever do outdoor field play.

This is the scabbard you've got, right Ender?

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    2,111 Posts
    galaxy mp5k
    proven cheap AEG.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,757 Posts
    Yup, that's the same scabbard. You don't need to use any of the straps to hold the gun in there either, it's a nice tight fit.

13. Post #13
    CRUSHER OF DREAMS AND EATER OF SKITTLES
    August 2007
    5,613 Posts
    galaxy mp5k
    proven cheap AEG.
    The good kind of cheap, or the 'fall apart instantly' kind of cheap?

14. Post #14
    November 2008
    1,139 Posts
    The good kind of cheap, or the 'fall apart instantly' kind of cheap?
    The good cheap, they are surprisingly well built for $100. Performance is another story though... but it's a CQB gun and if your stupid enough to try it with woodland then you deserve a punch in the face.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,757 Posts
    The good cheap, they are surprisingly well built for $100. Performance is another story though... but it's a CQB gun and if your stupid enough to try it with woodland then you deserve a punch in the face.
    Guess I must be pretty stupid then. Added box mag for +1 stupidity. Believe it or not I was actually using this TM MP5K with my homemade box mag as a support weapon. Despite the short barrel, the accuracy was good enough for spraying and praying. Funniest part, I was making kills with this.

16. Post #16
    July 2008
    848 Posts
    could risk it on this 50$ cyma refurb

http://www.tacticaltrunkmonkey.com

or wait around for something else

remember no refunds, no returns

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,235 Posts
    ewww tactifailrails

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    7,695 Posts
    ewww tactifailrails
    It's 50 dollars. I could deal with em.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,235 Posts
    Or pay the extra 60+ dollars for the body kit to make it not railfail you might as well get a new one.

20. Post #20
    July 2008
    848 Posts
    no luv for t-rails?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,235 Posts
    nope.

22. Post #22
    November 2008
    1,139 Posts
    no luv for t-rails?
    You fail, but you fail tactically.

23. Post #23
    July 2008
    848 Posts
    is there a logical argument? or are you just trying to push your opinion on me?

24. Post #24
    November 2008
    1,139 Posts
    It ruins the looks of the AK47 and looks plain fugly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    July 2008
    848 Posts
    eye of the beholder my friend.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,757 Posts
    Honestly I don't mind. I've owned standard AK's and railed AK's. To me, it's what the situation requires. If it's woodland I'll probably go with a basic AK, but for CQB I want a tac light and red dot as the minimum on my gun. Anything that gives me that millisecond advantage over the other guy in CQC is what counts.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,235 Posts
    BUT who would use a full stock ak in cqb? You need to be able to move it around.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    1,727 Posts
    I've done it plenty of times, it's not like it's impossible.

29. Post #29
    May 2007
    125 Posts
    I love the one with the folding stock, but hey, that's me

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,757 Posts
    Who uses retractable stocks in CQB and leaves them extended? A good number of people. Retractable stocks are almost just as long as AK stocks. Hell I've seen plenty of people use M16's and M14's in CQB with no problems. Even I use a solid stock MP5, and that's a CQB gun.

And if you're really that picky there's side folding AK stocks.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,235 Posts
    No, I Just can't think of why you would want to pay 50$ for a gun that could have many problems that would cost you easily the price of a better working one at full price. Maybe if you were just needing it for parts or something, or a really cheap gun but other then that I wouldn't trust the gun in a game.
    That might just be me though.

32. Post #32
    November 2008
    1,139 Posts
    Can we just shut up about CQB!

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,235 Posts
    sure.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    1,727 Posts
    No. :iia:

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,235 Posts
    Well cqb is awsome that is true.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    2,252 Posts
    I only ever play CQB. Small field skirmishes are sometimes held in the field I go to.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    3,786 Posts
    Alright guys, so I can't do airsoft. My parents are saying that there are no leagues or teams in Pittsburgh and I'm not driving to fucking New Jersey to play a sport.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,024 Posts
    Get some friends into it then.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    2,820 Posts
    Alright guys, so I can't do airsoft. My parents are saying that there are no leagues or teams in Pittsburgh and I'm not driving to fucking New Jersey to play a sport.
    As the post above me said, yea get some friends into it or find some friends, nearest field is in the mountains 1-2 hours away, near Ender or something but im waiting till im actually 18 so its so much easier to get the guns drive etc.

40. Post #40
    CRUSHER OF DREAMS AND EATER OF SKITTLES
    August 2007
    5,613 Posts
    Maybe not in Pittsburgh, but I guarantee there are groups in the area.

See if any of these are nearby.

And getting friends to play is also a great way to play. I normally only play with friends, and occasionally go to fields for an event that looks cool.