Highlights from V4

andersonmat's mobile steam community

Diaklu's IRC Bot

r4nk_'s minicar madness

Guru-guru's Iso-world

ddrl46's forum software

Sasupoika's bullet hell game

nullsquared's raytracer

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 18Dumb Dumb x 6Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    January 2009
    915 Posts
    Mobile Steam Community. :O
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Jaykin Bacon: Episode 3
    May 2005
    2,452 Posts
    HTML isn't programming yet you included a horrible web forum and that steam community thing in your laughable set of "highlights"? Cheers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 31Dumb Dumb x 22Disagree Disagree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    1,698 Posts
    Working on learning some Unreal Engine 3 stuff with the new UDK. It's really shaping up to be an awesome program. I've already done more with it than I've done with the Source SDK.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,332 Posts
    HTML isn't programming yet you included a horrible web forum and that steam community thing in your laughable set of "highlights"? Cheers.
    I believe the steam community "thing" is PHP, as is the forum(of course with html)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

6. Post #6
    May 2009
    1,276 Posts
    It's PHP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 19Late Late x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,623 Posts
    I keep getting distracted when trying to go through the Visual Basic documentation... I should take some of my Dexedrine before I start, possibly turn off my RSS widget, IRC client, Steam messenger, maybe even quit explorer while I'm at it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    714 Posts
    Do you always have to be an ass?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 36Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    Do you always have to be an ass?
    He hates web (and VB) programmers with a passion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Jaykin Bacon: Episode 3
    May 2005
    2,452 Posts
    He hates web (and VB) programmers with a passion.
    No, just VB. It annoys me when they show off web development with no particular merit. Like recycling a bunch of XML feeds or a few SELECT SQL queries.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    October 2009
    1,988 Posts
    So this is where everybody went.. awesome, a fresh start, let's not ruin this one too please. :ohdear:
    Working on learning some Unreal Engine 3 stuff with the new UDK. It's really shaping up to be an awesome program. I've already done more with it than I've done with the Source SDK.
    Same here, I'm kinda struggling with the terrain mapping bits though, I need interactive foliage for my game (the player has to forage for food and materials), and I have no idea where to start.. :eng99:

Edited:

Also, @comp, you forgot to link the previous thread and to add the notice:
    If you are just posting your web designs then use this thread http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=576232
    No GWEN pics?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Egypt Show Events

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    3,485 Posts
    I love how incredibly accurate your descriptions of the posters were. I lurk this thread quite a bit and I can verify almost all of that behaviour
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,406 Posts
    Same here, I'm kinda struggling with the terrain mapping bits though, I need interactive foliage for my game (the player has to forage for food and materials), and I have no idea where to start.. :eng99:
    This is very simple. actually. What you can do is take a shrub model (I believe with the speedtree application that comes installed you can do this as well), and create an entity that uses a static mesh, which will point to the speedtree mesh.

Next when the shrub is picked up, you can use the builitn scale_model (or something to that effect) function and have it's size go from large to small, or just remove the mesh from the World altogether. Either way you'll be making an item, so subclassing off of a Health Pickup (such as the Health Vial), would work best.

Also, checkout http://hourences.com as he's got some killer stuff, especially on terrain mapping (However, realize it uses the very old, and very shitty generic browser. So you'll have to figure some stuff out :) )
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    May 2009
    1,276 Posts
    I love how incredibly accurate your descriptions of the posters were. I lurk this thread quite a bit and I can verify almost all of that behaviour
    Not mine raccoon12's
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

15. Post #15
    October 2009
    1,988 Posts
    Thank you Chandler, I was really looking for that kind of information on how such a thing would be implemented, now I have a pointer in the right direction.
    I like that site by the way, doesn't matter what version he's using, I only learn either by example and by fiddling with stuff myself, that's how I taught myself coding in the first place.
    The lack of documentation doesn't help; so anything at this point could be of use, I think that's the only aspect Epic came short of.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Egypt Show Events

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    1,648 Posts
    I modified the link gun to steal health. It was only a few lines but it took hours to figure it all out. Basically I had to wade through the code to look for the functions I needed.

Edited:

Still can't figure out how to change the name of the weapon.

17. Post #17
    October 2009
    1,988 Posts
    I modified the link gun to steal health. It was only a few lines but it took hours to figure it all out. Basically I had to wade through the code to look for the functions I needed.

Edited:

I really hate that about the UDK, you have to go through hecks of script files just to locate something that would be trivial to locate otherwise.
    They should make it so that you could just right-click objects in the editor and have it open script files for you; I mean, come on Epic, you added editors for practically everything, from sound cues to particle effects... all except script files, for the sake of god.

Oh well, good thing I at least have grep by my side..

Another thing that pissed me off...
    http://hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3terrain.htm posted:
    Before you add a terrain to a level, be sure to have saved the level at least once as the terrain will attempt to save itself within the level, for which the level has to "exist" in the first place.
    :argh:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Egypt Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,332 Posts

Edited:

find in files *

19. Post #19
    a2h
    Gold Member

September 2008
    2,460 Posts
    Blargh, decided to start to implement AJAX into my comment form for Bugspray even though I really should be finishing basic stuff for the admin panel.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,406 Posts
    I really hate that about the UDK, you have to go through hecks of script files just to locate something that would be trivial to locate otherwise.
    They should make it so that you could just right-click objects in the editor and have it open script files for you; I mean, come on Epic, you added editors for practically everything, from sound cues to particle effects... all except script files, for the sake of god.

Oh well, good thing I at least have grep by my side..

Another thing that pissed me off...

:argh:
    In UE2 there this was the norm. But for some reason, they decided to remove the built in UnrealScript IDE for modders :-/

You may want to checkout nFringe

It's the only Unreal Script debugger out there. Although from what I understand it's a tad difficult to setup for the UDK as it was targeted more for full licensees/UT3 Modders than just the UDK.

It might help some of you guys get started, but I made a really retarded mod for UT3, that I never released, but from what I understand it's the first instance of a different Pawn on each team. Team one has a Gears of War style camera, and moves a bit slow, while team 2 is like a cheetah on crack. I was going to add more to it, but I decided I'd make some utilities, and my own engine before I made it into a commercial game

Anyways you guys can download the source from here

I'll just say public domain, so you don't have to worry about copyright and shit. You'll have to do some heavy tweaking as it's both a gametype, and a mutator, but I don't care, you're getting free shit.

Blargh, decided to start to implement AJAX into my comment form for Bugspray even though I really should be finishing basic stuff for the admin panel.
    About damn time you got back to work on that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    April 2009
    407 Posts
    This is what i are workingzzz on!!!

PHP-tags gives cool colours1!!!
    [php]

[/php]

You fucking suck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 14Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,740 Posts
    Great start guys.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    7,578 Posts
    Once I'm done with classes for the day I'll work on my fancy pong game again. Progress is ridiculously slow, I started it months ago but have only worked on it for like 4 hours total.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,332 Posts
    i guess it's safe to say WAYWO is dead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    August 2008
    1,246 Posts
    i guess it's safe to say WAYWO is dead.
    This this this.
    Or, the facepunchers are taking a break to work on their stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

26. Post #26
    November 2008
    846 Posts
    No, it's just you're all too uptight to report trolls, spam and flaming.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

27. Post #27
    November 2007
    506 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    September 2001
    12,412 Posts
    Arabic looks good (that's my mother tongue, by the way), I wonder if you plan on allowing right-to-left layouts though.. I've never seen a hardware-accelerated GUI library supporting right-to-left layouts perfectly (hell, even professional native GUI libs mess that up), and none render the Arabic script flawlessly for the matter, great work so far; I'd love to write an OpenGL renderer for that.. (we really need something like this working with SFML).
    Properly laying our right to left is something I would love to get working - but it's something I know nothing about - so might be best to wait until its on googlecode and hopefully someone will commit a patch for it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,607 Posts
    No, just VB. It annoys me when they show off web development with no particular merit. Like recycling a bunch of XML feeds or a few SELECT SQL queries.
    It's more than just XML parsing. I've created my own HTML DOM.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    "We should allow child labor overseas ...the sweatshop is what is saving the 9 year old worker"
    April 2007
    6,864 Posts
    Been working with AS3 and learning PHP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    260 Posts
    Arabic looks good (that's my mother tongue, by the way)
    I could've never noticed that you were an Arab before this...
    I don't feel so lonely in Facepunch Programming anymore
    أهلاً و سهلاً
    جيلبيرت من لبنان -
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Kuwait Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    7,578 Posts
    I could've never noticed that you were an Arab before this...
    I don't feel so lonely in Facepunch Programming anymore
    أهلاً و سهلاً
    جيلبيرت من لبنان -
    I honestly think it's impossible to tell where people are from on facepunch.

There are a lot of people from the US, then from the UK, Sweden (why the hell are there so many swedes on the internet?) and Germany.
    Also your arab text highlights right to left in firefox.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    2,023 Posts

There are a lot of people from the US, then from the UK, Sweden (why the hell are there so many swedes on the internet?) and Germany.
    Wow thanks just completely forget about Australia
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree x 5Optimistic x 4Funny x 3Dumb x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    260 Posts

True true...

Yeah I get that in Chrome too.
    The only place I've honestly seen it work the best is in MS Word.
    And even there you have a few weird quirks to work around.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Kuwait Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    July 2007
    781 Posts
    Wow thanks just completely forget about Australia
    and Canada :canada:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    September 2001
    12,412 Posts
    Little GWEN demo here with the DirectX renderer

http://gwen.facepunchstudios.com/files
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Useful Useful x 5Dumb Dumb x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Paid for a title.
    June 2005
    6,175 Posts
    Little GWEN demo here with the DirectX renderer

http://gwen.facepunchstudios.com/files
    When I scroll the mouse, the window moves left and right.

Edit:

I just noticed this is a new topic and I didn't make it into the OP :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

38. Post #38
    September 2001
    12,412 Posts
    Awesome ain't it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Funny Funny x 13 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,667 Posts
    Very
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    7,578 Posts
    Awesome.

Clicked the dropdown and scrolled to move the window.
    Text box needs more hold down backspace functionality.
    Uses 100% of one of my cores.
    Also can move the window out of the normal boundaries by scrolling.