1. Post #201
    July 2005
    187 Posts
    Im sorry to say, but as a voice of mcbuilds and many other spacebuild war server currently imploying the "Core" mod made by Zup, this looks very similar to what we have . . . Not saying it is "stolen" but Core mod was leaked in the past...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Disagree Disagree x 1Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

2. Post #202
    July 2008
    795 Posts
    The only gripe I have with it is the fact you're using that horrible monstrosity of terrible coding the life support system
    Opinion. You're welcome to it I disagree. It runs fine without LS installed at all.

Edited:

Im sorry to say, but as a voice of mcbuilds and many other spacebuild war server currently imploying the "Core" mod made by Zup, this looks very similar to what we have . . . Not saying it is "stolen" but Core mod was leaked in the past...
    Having followed what the guy was doing I can assure you it was not nicked from Core. It may look similar yes, but its an easy way of doing things. The guy has different plans for how this mod will progress I think - some of the "to be implemented" stuff in the readme is afaik not Mcbuild.

3. Post #203
    August 2008
    499 Posts
    -snip-

4. Post #204

January 2010
    80 Posts
    I'd like some input from the creator about the possible cause of advance duplicator thinking it's a weapon/npc. I know it's somehow not your problem but since lots and lots of people use that it might be a good idea to look into. I might be the only one though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #205
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    425 Posts
    hey um how do i disable the damage engine i have another addon for that and its not gcombat or CDS ... how do i disable the CDEs damage engine so it dosent effect my stuff in the server.. i still want the shield and dome

6. Post #206
    July 2008
    795 Posts
    hey um how do i disable the damage engine i have another addon for that and its not gcombat or CDS ... how do i disable the CDEs damage engine so it dosent effect my stuff in the server.. i still want the shield and dome
    They are linked, you're gonna have to either do without, or a swap over. Most weapons work fine with it out of the box except some SBEP weapons, and they are only a brief change in the LUA files for them to work OK.

7. Post #207
    April 2008
    76 Posts
    The only gripe I have with it is the fact you're using that horrible monstrosity of terrible coding the life support system
    Ok, do this yourself and report back in half a year.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #208
    November 2007
    57 Posts
    I have another idea. I was thinking it would be useful to have an update option for the engine. What I mean is, the same kind of system we have on the hoverballs. You create them and, if you want to change them without respawning them, you can just input the desired settings by changing them in the Q menu and clicking on the hoverballs. I think that we should be able to do this with the CDE because sometimes it's hard to judge exactly how you want it before you create it, and then it gets tiresome to keep deleting the engine and respawning it with slightly altered settings. You can do this with most (if not all) wire components so I think it would be fitting to be able to do it with the CDE.
    I'll see what i can do about that. Should be fairly easy to put in.

This is probably an error with restrictions on the server i'm playing on (sax's) but i can't dupe the weapons. It says something along the lines of "Adv duplicator: Can't duplicate weapons or NPC's" which normally appears when i try to dupe sweps or npc's. So yeah, Why are the weapons npc's/weapons?
    I remember running into this problem once during testing. It's caused by the Advanced Duplicator refusing to paste entities with 'weapon', 'item', or 'npc' in their class names when running a multiplayer server. To fix, the server CVar 'AdvDupe_NoItems' needs to be changed to 0 (I Think... Feel free to test that and correct me if i'm wrong)

It works perfectly fine without LS and RD installed. They're simply reccomended because most of the weapon and shield balance is based on energy usage

...Excuse me?
    I have never heard of the 'Core' addon before in my life, and frankly, the implication that I stole an addon and re-released it under my own name is erroneous at best, and downright insulting at worst. With the exception of some code snippets taken from the Gmod Wiki, the CDE Engine itself is entirely my own work. If i had used 'Core' as a stepping stone, I would have said as much.

The Contraption Shield and Dome Shield use functions from the engine itself. You would not be able to 'disable' CDE's core functions without rendering the shields useless.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #209
    December 2009
    4 Posts
    Before you go accusing someone of using someone's work without permission, you could at least check yourself. This addon has been released, the code is available. If you aren't able to verify that its not "stolen" just by looking at the lua files, then you aren't the person who should be complaining in the first place.

I'm planning on setting myself up as a test weapons developer, I have lots of programming experience but very little lua experience. The idea is to try and develop CDE compatible weapons/entities etc to see how easy it is to extend/break and from that develop fixes/functions and tutorials. Anyone else got ideas for weapons etc? Keeping in mind that Arania has said that the weapons he is making will be very customisable/modular, but keeping the SciFi feel.

10. Post #210
    December 2009
    261 Posts
    If i knew how to code, i'd be a testr for you. Unfortunately, i can only do sound effects, and this doesn't have sound effects for me to replace. If possible, however, i coukd work with you still, if you could code things at my request, to some degree. Say i wanted a set of places where a sound effect was supposed to be triggered. Assuming this is Lua, (i don;t know anything about any of that kind of thing, or if it's even he only thing that controls SFX and VFX like on the stargate mod) i could request that, say when the shield bubble effect pops up, have it call for Contrap_eng_domeshield_engage, when it dies hae it call for contrap_eng_domeshield_fail, and when the hit effect, the fluxuation when a stargate drone, or included weapon hits it, have it call for contrap_eng_domeshield_flux. Just thoughts being poure d out, and if such a thing, if i got my point across, is possible, then i'm signing on to be a tester-modifier(you could put it that way?).
    Oh, and, uh, should i have gotten only the black, blue, and green shield bubbles, and four hit effects, for bubble? I mean, there's alot more in the previews and all..... (put 2/2 together)

Edited:

I'm talking to Aran, of course.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #211
    October 2008
    6 Posts
    I don't know if you've already done the Shield "Rising" effect, but I was annoyed with the shield just appearing so I did one myself. Here's the edited /lua/entities/shield_dome/cl_init.lua for anyone who wants it.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/myhmymig52g/cl_init.lua

Just put it in yoursteamappsfolder/garrysmod/garrysmod/addons/Contraption Engine/lua/entities/shield_dome/ and paste it over the old one.

It's not amazing, it's just a basic effect using clipping planes. If I spent a bit more time on it I could make it look a bit better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

12. Post #212
    August 2009
    1,388 Posts
    I don't know if you've already done the Shield "Rising" effect, but I was annoyed with the shield just appearing so I did one myself. Here's the edited /lua/entities/shield_dome/cl_init.lua for anyone who wants it.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/myhmymig52g/cl_init.lua

Just put it in yoursteamappsfolder/garrysmod/garrysmod/addons/Contraption Engine/lua/entities/shield_dome/ and paste it over the old one.
    Could you post a video of it ?(or at least a picture)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Romania Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #213
    October 2008
    6 Posts
    Added video to earlier post.

14. Post #214
    November 2007
    57 Posts
    If i knew how to code, i'd be a testr for you. Unfortunately, i can only do sound effects, and this doesn't have sound effects for me to replace. If possible, however, i coukd work with you still, if you could code things at my request, to some degree. Say i wanted a set of places where a sound effect was supposed to be triggered. Assuming this is Lua, (i don;t know anything about any of that kind of thing, or if it's even he only thing that controls SFX and VFX like on the stargate mod) i could request that, say when the shield bubble effect pops up, have it call for Contrap_eng_domeshield_engage, when it dies hae it call for contrap_eng_domeshield_fail, and when the hit effect, the fluxuation when a stargate drone, or included weapon hits it, have it call for contrap_eng_domeshield_flux. Just thoughts being poure d out, and if such a thing, if i got my point across, is possible, then i'm signing on to be a tester-modifier(you could put it that way?).
    Oh, and, uh, should i have gotten only the black, blue, and green shield bubbles, and four hit effects, for bubble? I mean, there's alot more in the previews and all..... (put 2/2 together)

Edited:

I'm talking to Aran, of course.
    I take it you mean that you do sound effects? Thanks for the offer, but I already have someone lined up for creating sounds.

As for your problem, the material picker in the STool will occasionally improperly render the shaders for the shield (they'll sometimes show up as pitch black or dark green). If they show up that way in-game (On the dome itself), you most likely have a corrupted GCF, as those materials are part of the Source Engine

I don't know if you've already done the Shield "Rising" effect, but I was annoyed with the shield just appearing so I did one myself.
    Since you all seem to want it so much, i've updated the SVN with an Atlantis-Style forming effect for the shields. Enjoy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #215
    October 2008
    6 Posts
    Since you all seem to want it so much, i've updated the SVN with an Atlantis-Style forming effect for the shields. Enjoy.
    I like how you can choose whether the effect starts at the top or bottom of the shield.

I want to ask a few questions about the effect.
    Firstly, what are the 3 clipping planes for? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you add the first 2, draw the model, then pop them back out. Meanwhile you insert the 3rd into the array used for clipping when multiple bubbles collide. I can't see any noticeable difference than if you had used one plane.
    Secondly, on small shields the bubble does not appear for a few seconds, then appears all at once.

16. Post #216
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,061 Posts
    ...Excuse me?
    I have never heard of the 'Core' addon before in my life, and frankly, the implication that I stole an addon and re-released it under my own name is erroneous at best, and downright insulting at worst. With the exception of some code snippets taken from the Gmod Wiki, the CDE Engine itself is entirely my own work. If i had used 'Core' as a stepping stone, I would have said as much.
    I think he's talking about the "ship core" concept whereas the core's HP is the HP of the entire contraption. If the contraption is damaged, the core takes the damage and if the core is destroyed, the entire contraption goes kaboom.

17. Post #217
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,537 Posts
    I think he's talking about the "ship core" concept whereas the core's HP is the HP of the entire contraption. If the contraption is damaged, the core takes the damage and if the core is destroyed, the entire contraption goes kaboom.
    He's not, he's talking about the actual addon. It was stolen by slimswitch, I believe. That'd be what's on McBuilds right now, with the eve-themed stuff.

18. Post #218
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,131 Posts
    ...Excuse me?
    Is there an 'ooooohhhhhh SNAP!' rating?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #219
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,061 Posts
    It was stolen by slimswitch, I believe.
    Never underestimate the power of the people, heehee...

20. Post #220
    December 2009
    261 Posts
    I take it you mean that you do sound effects? Thanks for the offer, but I already have someone lined up for creating sounds.

As for your problem, the material picker in the STool will occasionally improperly render the shaders for the shield (they'll sometimes show up as pitch black or dark green). If they show up that way in-game (On the dome itself), you most likely have a corrupted GCF, as those materials are part of the Source Engine

Oh, fine. Hell, you don't know what you're missing.

Edited:

There's one thing this mod lacks, and that's compatability with LS3. I can;t use LS2, it bugs up like i said. LS3 is perfect, but i can't link my shields to it, nor the weapons. Eithera LS3 and LS2 version of this, or a prompt at the start of a server for the admin, asking which Life Support is used. Again, just thoughts. (You knoooooow you want me in!)

Edited:

Speaking of LS3, if anyone else is wondering why it's not in the tab, you need to go here:http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=86093
    GET TORTISESVN IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT, THEN USE THOSE LINKS. Then, your life support three will be waiting for you in CAF tab, not Life Support. Hell, though, it won't power theshields, unless i'm missing something...?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #221
    CRAP AT GEOGRAPHY
    June 2005
    6,642 Posts
    Goddamnit. I wish I could code or model or do something useful. I want to help with awesome shit like this.

I can't even use Wire except for basic stuff like setting up screens to show me energy levels/ammo and numpad inputs, though. :saddowns:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #222
    October 2008
    212 Posts
    Goddamnit. I wish I could code or model or do something useful. I want to help with awesome shit like this.

I can't even use Wire except for basic stuff like setting up screens to show me energy levels/ammo and numpad inputs, though. :saddowns:
    Follow tutorials and do alot of reverse engineering on peoples stuff,that's how I learned wire :)

23. Post #223
    CRAP AT GEOGRAPHY
    June 2005
    6,642 Posts
    Follow tutorials and do alot of reverse engineering on peoples stuff,that's how I learned wire :)
    I tried and failed. Couldn't find any really good tutorials that stuck =\
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #224
    October 2008
    212 Posts
    I tried and failed. Couldn't find any really good tutorials that stuck =\
    Then reverse enginner,take a look at stuff that seems cool and use it in your own contraptions.
    And besides that,the Wire section of GMod Wiki and Wiremods own Wiki contains quite a few intresting pieces.

25. Post #225
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,537 Posts

26. Post #226
    October 2008
    212 Posts
    Oh,yea Revans tutorials are good,what else are there? Think Orbs are good aswell and there are supposed to be 2 more good series of tutorials.

27. Post #227
    CRAP AT GEOGRAPHY
    June 2005
    6,642 Posts
    I watched all of Revan's tutorials. They didn't help me. I don't know why.

28. Post #228
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    1,697 Posts
    Oh,yea Revans tutorials are good,what else are there? Think Orbs are good aswell and there are supposed to be 2 more good series of tutorials.
    Orbs tuts are good, if only a bit outdated.
    ZeosPantheras tuts are very good to learn from as well.
    There are also a lot of good servers you can go to and ask for help.
    Andy on The Scrapheap is a really cool guy that will help ya with almost anything, and if he can't do it, he'll call the other admins :buddy:

ontopic:
    I haven't got around to testing this thing yet because a freak Batch accident messed up my addons folder, but I will give it a whirl ASAP.

29. Post #229
    CRAP AT GEOGRAPHY
    June 2005
    6,642 Posts
    Trying to watch Revan's tutorials again, but the video website he used (Revver) isn't working.

30. Post #230
    October 2008
    212 Posts
    ontopic:
    I haven't got around to testing this thing yet because a freak Batch accident messed up my addons folder, but I will give it a whirl ASAP.
    I thought you had gotten you batch thingy to work properly by now.

31. Post #231
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    1,697 Posts
    I thought you had gotten you batch thingy to work properly by now.
    Well, yeah, it works NOW.
    It didn't THEN, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

32. Post #232
    August 2009
    132 Posts
    Trying to watch Revan's tutorials again, but the video website he used (Revver) isn't working.
    Yeah, that thing is kinda buggy. Try reloading multiple times....

33. Post #233
    December 2009
    261 Posts
    WHY, oh why are we not discuccing this mod? I still want to engineer sound effects. Oh and uh why can't i seem to get any model to set? what am i doing wrong? I right click on a prop that i want to be the mdel, it doesn't work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #234
    July 2008
    795 Posts
    WHY, oh why are we not discuccing this mod? I still want to engineer sound effects. Oh and uh why can't i seem to get any model to set? what am i doing wrong? I right click on a prop that i want to be the mdel, it doesn't work.
    Firstly, LS3 has been working with the mod for at least two days so that problem is your end (just saw your post further up). Secondly I think something is fucked up somewhere in your install if you cant get models to work.

35. Post #235
    June 2007
    917 Posts

any chance you could add the atlantis sheilds sound to it? when its activated and what not

Edited:

also how do you wire up the sheild? i wired up a zpm and a button but it dosent work.. im a newb at wire could someone show me how.?

36. Post #236
    December 2009
    261 Posts
    any chance you could add the atlantis sheilds sound to it? when its activated and what not

Edited:

also how do you wire up the sheild? i wired up a zpm and a button but it dosent work.. im a newb at wire could someone show me how.?
    wire doesn;t link resources. you can wire power on the shield gen to a button set to toggle, ir a numpad input set to toggle, or a life support energy scell's energy output(so that it's on while the thing has energy, coming on automatically when energy is put into the cell). you can wire other generators to the first, which is outputting integrity. the shields build up from 0 once started, so they'd all come on and off in sync, as the wire system turns things on and off with 1+,s and zeros, pretty much.

37. Post #237
    November 2007
    57 Posts
    I like how you can choose whether the effect starts at the top or bottom of the shield.

I want to ask a few questions about the effect.
    Firstly, what are the 3 clipping planes for? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you add the first 2, draw the model, then pop them back out. Meanwhile you insert the 3rd into the array used for clipping when multiple bubbles collide. I can't see any noticeable difference than if you had used one plane.
    Secondly, on small shields the bubble does not appear for a few seconds, then appears all at once.
    The extra two clipping planes are used to create an 'edge' to the forming shield, which is colorised according to the color-picker settings on the STool. I didn't realise it at the time, but the alpha values for the shield were set far too low for the extra effect to be noticable (It's also not visible from inside the shield due to a problem with the texture).

I also found the cause of the shield appearing all at once on small radius settings (That problem being me being up until 3AM and being too tired to realise i needed to convert three local vectors to world vectors)

Both problems have been fixed and uploaded.

Edited:

I won't be using the exact atlantis sound, no. But There will be an activation sound added in future

Also: You can't just attach the ZPM directly, Stargate-pack ZPMs require some sort of energy storage in thier network in order to activate. Try hooking a battery up to the shield and attach the ZPM to that.

38. Post #238
    January 2009
    3,887 Posts
    Oh, is that what that second set of materials you can choose is for? Neat.

39. Post #239
    December 2009
    261 Posts
    Aran, i still only have limited textures and effects, help? (SFX person, please? You have no idea what you're missing.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

40. Post #240
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    1,882 Posts
    Hey Arania, how long till the addon is able to use other kinds of weapons, such as the prop cannons, basic sweps, etc? Other than that, this is some fine work on the Engine. Very easy to use and maintain. I haven't had the luck of finding any other bugs so far.

Also what is it with people and this Atlantis thing? I have never been into this "looks cool but does nothing positive in the end" kind of deal so I really wouldn't know. If you guys wanted Stargate, why don't you get the Stargate SVN?

All I know is making it work exactly something on TV is boring and unoriginal.