1. Post #601
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    576 Posts
    Both of my shields say Invalid Combination if I attempt to link them to a node in RD3.
    Yeah, they don't seem to work with RD3. That coupled with my overall loathing of V3, made me switch back to RD2.

2. Post #602
    October 2007
    219 Posts
    Any hope of compatibility for RD3? Or any advice for making them compatible?

3. Post #603
    December 2009
    261 Posts
    What's all this? I've gotten it to work fine with RD3/LS3. I haven't had to in a while, having to link all this stuff up got annoying, but I've made it work. I think it involves using the right tool or something.

4. Post #604
    February 2009
    177 Posts
    Just use the regular link tool, and link the weapon/shield to the node as per usual. Link up an energy generator (Solar or wind works well). Wire up a button to "Fire". Press Button. Watch as stuff goes splodey.

5. Post #605

July 2009
    420 Posts
    found a nice way to 'get around' having to wire the shields up to a resource cache- wire shield to a constant value chip of 1 or higher. :D

6. Post #606
    The Sandiest of them All!
    October 2009
    170 Posts
    found a nice way to 'get around' having to wire the shields up to a resource cache- wire shield to a constant value chip of 1 or higher. :D
    That's been known for a while.

7. Post #607
    April 2008
    781 Posts
    Supposedly there's a way to make a sort of cinematic style death for your contraptions, where there are multiple explosions all over the place before your contraption finally dies. Is there some special way to set that up? I don't see a "cinematic death" option I can click.

8. Post #608
    May 2009
    146 Posts
    Supposedly there's a way to make a sort of cinematic style death for your contraptions, where there are multiple explosions all over the place before your contraption finally dies. Is there some special way to set that up? I don't see a "cinematic death" option I can click.
    It's a console comand, search through all the comands CDE has and you will find one or two to activate for this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Argentina Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #609
    April 2008
    781 Posts
    It's a console comand, search through all the comands CDE has and you will find one or two to activate for this
    Are they sort of obvious So I'll Know I've found them, or will I need to tinker a bit?

Edited:

Nevermind, found them.

10. Post #610
    January 2010
    290 Posts
    Are they sort of obvious So I'll Know I've found them, or will I need to tinker a bit?

Edited:

Nevermind, found them.
    I like reading the readme too.
    [/offtopic]

Does anyone know if CDS3 by SnakeSVx still f***s up when you're trying to build? Last time I tried to use it, it kept setting my spawned props physical properties to something random, set their weights to 1 (they fell really slowly), and made them fade out and disappear after about 8 seconds. It seemed as though the damage control code was thinking they were being destroyed, even though they were just being spawned on flatgrass. :byodood:

Either way, I like CDE better, so you don't have to worry about me going over to CDS3 (when or if it's fixed) ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #611
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    957 Posts
    I was looking through the shields and I noticed they actually have no check for seeing if "sv_CDamage_weapons_RDenabled" is on or off.

Could that be a part of the fixes, I happen to enjoy my shields on servers without resources.

12. Post #612
    November 2007
    57 Posts
    Sorry about the long delay since the last update. Just moved house and the new place doesn't have internet or phone connected yet.

Needs more sexy de-activation / shut-down animation for the shields.
    Been working on it for a while now. Still trying to get something that looks good.

Interesting...
    I was sifting through some of the lua files for PewPew and it adds functions to E2 so that you can use it to get the health of a target entity.
    Would there be any possibility of something similar in CDE?
    It would eliminate the need for the health meter and also eliminate any future need for a health or shield scanner against other contraptions. Would probably use simple functions like "Ent:isShielded()" and "Ent:cdeHealth()".
    Just a suggestion. :P
    Good Idea, I'll see what I can put together for it.

The two you're looking for are 'sv_CDamage_epiccontraptiondeath' (which increases the death explosion size and removes wreckage) and 'sv_CDamage_delayeddeathexplosion' (which causes the popping explosions prior to death). The readme included with the addon has more info.

I was looking through the shields and I noticed they actually have no check for seeing if "sv_CDamage_weapons_RDenabled" is on or off.

Could that be a part of the fixes, I happen to enjoy my shields on servers without resources.
    The check for that particular cvar occurs in a seperate code file, and only applies to weapons. The main reason the cvar doesn't affect shields is because players are allowed to set the health of their shields manually, and if resource consumption is turned off for the shield, there is very little to stop someone from creating a maximum-health shield (in essence, the resource demand acts as game balance)

However, if you DON'T have RD2 or RD3 installed on your server, the shield will still function normally (the code managing the RDEnabled Cvar also takes care of testing if RD is installed)

13. Post #613

March 2010
    84 Posts
    Cinematic death explosions that can take more than 5 minutes to complete for large contraptions, such as space stations (Can be toggled off for a more fast-paced combat style)

<-- that's sv_CDamage_epiccontraptiondeath right ?
    Since it appears that it didn't work properly for me then, not extremely big, however quite size on a ship, not with a lot of stuff since it was just a test ship.

However, only one explosion, the thing went black, and 20 seconds later it dissapeared.

No cinematic or anything like it.
    If I'm mistaken, then .. please tell me how, hehe.

*Settings*
    Code:
    "CVARS"
    {
     "sv_CDamage_wreckage" "1"
     "sv_CDamage_wreckage_timeout" "30"
     "sv_CDamage_wreckageintegrity" "-1"
     "sv_CDamage_forcewreckfragementation" "0"
     "sv_CDamage_delayeddeathexplosion" "1"
     "sv_CDamage_epiccontraptiondeath" "1"
     "sv_CDamage_debrisviolence" "1"
     "sv_CDamage_contraptiondamage" "1"
     "sv_CDamage_damagemultiplier" "1"
     "sv_CDamage_enthealthmultiplier" "1"
     "sv_CDamage_maxenthealth" "10000"
     "sv_CDamage_overrideGcombat" "1"
     "sv_CDamage_overrideCDS" "1"
     "sv_CDamage_overridePewPew" "1"
     "sv_CDamage_weapons_RDenabled" "1"
     "sv_CDamage_shield_activationthresshold" "25"
    }

14. Post #614
    April 2008
    781 Posts
    XanyholesagoalX- I'm sorry but your avatar disturbs me. Freaky looking pop-out eyeballs... *shudders*
    That aside I just want to make sure I'm doing this right- is it sv_CDamage_delayeddeathexplosion=1 or
    'sv_CDamage_delayeddeathexplosion' '1'

15. Post #615

July 2009
    420 Posts
    XanyholesagoalX- I'm sorry but your avatar disturbs me. Freaky looking pop-out eyeballs... *shudders*
    lol, i made it as part of my GCSE art coursework :)

16. Post #616
    April 2008
    781 Posts
    Figured it out, I need to use sv_CDamage_delayeddeathexplosion 1.

Edited:

lol, i made it as part of my GCSE art coursework :)
    I'm sure the professor/teacher was amused with it.

Edited:

Cinematic death explosions that can take more than 5 minutes to complete for large contraptions, such as space stations (Can be toggled off for a more fast-paced combat style)

<-- that's sv_CDamage_epiccontraptiondeath right ?
    Since it appears that it didn't work properly for me then, not extremely big, however quite size on a ship, not with a lot of stuff since it was just a test ship.

However, only one explosion, the thing went black, and 20 seconds later it dissapeared.

No cinematic or anything like it.
    If I'm mistaken, then .. please tell me how, hehe.

*Settings*
    Code:
    "CVARS"
    {
     sv_CDamage_wreckage 1
     sv_CDamage_wreckage_timeout 30
     sv_CDamage_wreckageintegrity -1
     sv_CDamage_forcewreckfragementation 0
     sv_CDamage_delayeddeathexplosion 1
     sv_CDamage_epiccontraptiondeath 1
     sv_CDamage_debrisviolence 1
     sv_CDamage_contraptiondamage 1
     sv_CDamage_damagemultiplier 1
     sv_CDamage_enthealthmultiplier 1
     sv_CDamage_maxenthealth 10000
     sv_CDamage_overrideGcombat 1
     sv_CDamage_overrideCDS 1
     sv_CDamage_overridePewPew 1
     sv_CDamage_weapons_RDenabled 1
     sv_CDamage_shield_activationthresshold 25
    }
    Fixed If you had the quotations before everything like "sv_yaddayadda" "1" then that's why it didn't work. No quotation marks needed.

17. Post #617
    July 2010
    144 Posts
    Excuse me, but PLEASE EXPLAIN me how to use the shield.
    I've done it that way(not working):
    Create dome shield. Create RD3 resnode, link them together, add zpm, link it, add energy container, and what next? Pressing E on shield doesn't help.
    Wiring Power doesn't help... HELP!

18. Post #618
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    576 Posts
    Create dome shield. Create RD3 resnode, link them together, add zpm, link it, add energy container, and what next? Pressing E on shield doesn't help.
    Last I checked the shields don't work with RD3, only RD2. Though I think there is also a console command you can use so that they don't use energy, which could bypass the problem for you. Also, pressing E never does anything on the shields or weapons, they always require wire.

19. Post #619
    July 2010
    144 Posts
    Last I checked the shields don't work with RD3, only RD2. Though I think there is also a console command you can use so that they don't use energy, which could bypass the problem for you. Also, pressing E never does anything on the shields or weapons, they always require wire.
    And that means I can't use it... Too bad...

20. Post #620
    November 2007
    57 Posts
    Figured it out, I need to use sv_CDamage_delayeddeathexplosion 1.
    You need to type it into the console when the game is running. Also, did you read the reply I gave? I told you BOTH of the convars you needed to use.

Changing the entry in the file called 'damageengine_cvars.txt' (which is what I'm assuming you were doing, considering you posted the information from that file in your post) will do absolutely nothing. The values listed in that file are only read in and applied the first time the addon is used, changing it after that will have no effect.

Also, the quote marks are neccessary, please do not remove them.

I'm not quite sure what problem you're having.
    You will need to place down a resource node, a power generator of some sort, a power storage device, and a shield, and link everything to the resource node. You then wire the 'Power' Input on the shield to something that will output '1', and the shield should charge and activate. If it does not, it could indicate a problem with either CDE or RD3, or that you are not producing enough power to maintain the shield.

Everything in CDE works with both RD2 and RD3.

21. Post #621
    April 2008
    47 Posts
    You need to type it into the console when the game is running. Also, did you read the reply I gave? I told you BOTH of the convars you needed to use.

Changing the entry in the file called 'damageengine_cvars.txt' (which is what I'm assuming you were doing, considering you posted the information from that file in your post) will do absolutely nothing. The values listed in that file are only read in and applied the first time the addon is used, changing it after that will have no effect.

Also, the quote marks are neccessary, please do not remove them.

You will need to place down a resource node, a power generator of some sort, a power storage device, and a shield, and link everything to the resource node. You then wire the 'Power' Input on the shield to something that will output '1', and the shield should charge and activate. If it does not, it could indicate a problem with either CDE or RD3, or that you are not producing enough power to maintain the shield.

Hey I was wondering when is the next release going to be with the cloak?

22. Post #622
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    576 Posts

I was playing around with this again tonight and got some interesting results, apparently I can connect the shields directly to a Black Hole Cache and it will work fine, however, if I have a working LS2 setup using resource caches, generators, etc.; as soon as I connect the shield, the ENTIRE system shuts down, all the generators stop running, and no resources go anywhere.

If I recall correctly, this was basically the same issue I had had with LS3 when I used it a while back too, but didn't realize it till now, the difference is in LS2 you can hook the shield up to the BHC directly, in LS3 you can't (not being able to get this mod working in LS3 was the main reason I "upgraded" back to LS2).

23. Post #623
    July 2010
    144 Posts
    I got it working now. But it seems that it isn't blocking fire from Laser 2.0, Turret and maybe something else too. Stargate Staff Cannon works, though with the shield.
    Is it possible to change the shield color into a white one and what does the lower model selection box in Dome Shield options means? Seems that the Color box doesn't work either.

24. Post #624
    May 2009
    146 Posts
    I got it working now. But it seems that it isn't blocking fire from Laser 2.0, Turret and maybe something else too. Stargate Staff Cannon works, though with the shield.
    Is it possible to change the shield color into a white one and what does the lower model selection box in Dome Shield options means? Seems that the Color box doesn't work either.
    Because this shield isn't intended to block those, only the weapons from the pack are fully compatible to use with the shield. Some SBEP have been added, I think.

25. Post #625

June 2010
    5 Posts
    This may have been answered already, but is there any way to output the health of the contraption with wire? If not there should be an sensor entity that reads and outputs the health, or maybe as an output of the shield generator?

26. Post #626
    May 2009
    146 Posts
    This may have been answered already, but is there any way to output the health of the contraption with wire? If not there should be an sensor entity that reads and outputs the health, or maybe as an output of the shield generator?
    In fact, there is. Look in the entities tab, and you will see the contraption health sensor (with another name I tink), under the CDE section. If you have too many entities and can't find it, then search more...

27. Post #627

June 2010
    5 Posts
    Ah didn't think to check under entities, I thought it would be with the rest of the CDE stuff. Well then, this addon is now the best damage engine Ive ever used ;)

28. Post #628
    July 2008
    186 Posts
    Could you add an option where, once the entire contraption's health reaches zero, each prop starts to take regular GCombat/PewPew damage? Would extend fights a little bit, and make them more interesting. I just miss the ability to selectively destroy my opponent. >:]

29. Post #629
    July 2010
    144 Posts
    Is it normal that Contraption Engine Shield makes the world literally whacko? I mean, in gm_construct, for example, it makes those waterside levels(I mean the hills) to appear at insane places, you can see them, you can't touch them, and you can only see them at certain views.

30. Post #630
    May 2007
    10 Posts
    Hi,
    I've been facing some LUA error while using the CDE weapons such as light/heavy pulse cannons and artillery (missile launcher, beam cannon and torpedoes work perfectly fine)
    Code:
    [@addons\cde\lua\entities\base_weapon_projectile\init.lua:46] bad argument #1 to 'SetAngles' (Angle expected, got Vector)

31. Post #631
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    576 Posts
    Since this got bumped, any news/progress on some of the additional features that were in the works? (Cloak, fixes, etc.)

32. Post #632
    January 2010
    290 Posts
    -snip- something else was actually causing the problem

33. Post #633
    August 2010
    103 Posts
    Hey, I've got a problem with the shield dome. I've fired a few types of munitions (from the SBEP) at it, and they all seem to go right through. Is the problem on my end, like I'm not doing something other than turning the shield on (cause the dome forms), or is it a problem with the generator itself?

34. Post #634
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    576 Posts
    Hey, I've got a problem with the shield dome. I've fired a few types of munitions (from the SBEP) at it, and they all seem to go right through. Is the problem on my end, like I'm not doing something other than turning the shield on (cause the dome forms), or is it a problem with the generator itself?
    The shield dome only blocks SBEP energy weapons if I'm not mistaken.

35. Post #635
    August 2010
    103 Posts
    The shield dome only blocks SBEP energy weapons if I'm not mistaken.
    Huh. I guess so. Though it did seem that one Pulse Cannon tore through a 10000 health shield dome rather quickly.

36. Post #636
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    576 Posts
    Huh. I guess so. Though it did seem that one Pulse Cannon tore through a 10000 health shield dome rather quickly.
    No one said they did balanced amounts of damage. ;)

37. Post #637
    May 2010
    10 Posts
    look i have done everything you have said to do and looked on youtube but nothing seems to work, im using rs3 and have linked up the zmp (from stargate) and ive got a energy storage thing with a node thing but the node wont like to the shield plz help!!!!!!

38. Post #638
    July 2010
    144 Posts
    look i have done everything you have said to do and looked on youtube but nothing seems to work, im using rs3 and have linked up the zmp (from stargate) and ive got a energy storage thing with a node thing but the node wont like to the shield plz help!!!!!!
    Use wire to activate the shield.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Estonia Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

39. Post #639
    June 2010
    29 Posts
    i've problem, the shield dome generator does not work anymore
    Has what is it of?
    this apears on my screen in blue: [@lua\entities\shield_bubble_generator\init.lua:25] Tried to use a invalid object (type IPysicObject)(Object was NULL or not the right type)

40. Post #640
    April 2010
    3 Posts
    doryan22, I've had the same issue and had started a thread about it before I got distracted from gmod by work and such found here.

However, I was toying around with it again today, and I noticed that it says you can right click to change the model, and after that I started getting the error again. The only fix I've found so far is deleting/renaming the garrysmod folder and redownloading any addons you had :/