1. Post #481
    November 2007
    57 Posts
    I've updated the SVN with a slew of visual updates for weapons and explosions, and shifted a good portion of effects rendering code clientside, which should cut down on both network traffic and serverside load. Some of it is still somewhat incomplete (sounds are missing for some effects, for example), but it is otherwise done.

Unfortunately, The new ellipsoidal contraption shield effects and the cloaking device are proving to be more problematic than initially anticipated, so they will take slightly longer before they're uploaded to the SVN

Enjoy!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #482
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    1,878 Posts
    Time for Bug Reporting! Yay!

I get these errors whenever the weapons are used and or hit something.
    Code:
    autorun/shared/cengine_effects.lua:42: bad argument #1 to 'SetNormal' (Vector expected, got number)
    autorun/shared/cengine_effects.lua:42: bad argument #1 to 'SetNormal' (Vector expected, got number)
    The artillery shells do not explode on impact. They just bounce off and just stay on the ground. They still do damage to any prop touching it however. Short on time so I cant test out everything.

Besides all that, the explosion effects are great. I was expecting a huge explosion when the prop health hit zero but I saw a nice dying sequence going on which really made me laugh. Great work.

3. Post #483
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    A cloaking device
    My god... this mod just keeps getting more awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #484
    November 2007
    57 Posts
    Time for Bug Reporting! Yay!

I get these errors whenever the weapons are used and or hit something.
    Code:
    The artillery shells do not explode on impact. They just bounce off and just stay on the ground. They still do damage to any prop touching it however. Short on time so I cant test out everything.

Besides all that, the explosion effects are great. I was expecting a huge explosion when the prop health hit zero but I saw a nice dying sequence going on which really made me laugh. Great work.
    Fixed. Evidently the functions were mis-named.

Also: If you want a BIG death explosion, turn 'sv_cdamage_epiccontraptiondeath' to 1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

5. Post #485
    August 2009
    1,388 Posts
    I have a small request:
    If you have time, could you make a stool version of the health meter?
    What i mean is that it shows the health of a prop on the hud like
    the wire debugger shows wire values.

6. Post #486
    May 2009
    146 Posts
    Also: If you want a BIG death explosion, turn 'sv_cdamage_epiccontraptiondeath' to 1
    That, simple, no lag, no enormous clouds of smoke and yet, the best cinematic explosion a ship can have. You were very smart to do that. Excelent work Arania.
    In a moment I will try your latest changes and tell what I found.

Edited:

I'm having error too, with theheacy artillery, the heavy pulse gun, and the beam gun. the ammunition doesen't explode on impact with ground, it bounces all over the place. And with the console spam

7. Post #487
    May 2007
    41 Posts
    <Snip>
    Bug fixed :D

8. Post #488
    November 2007
    57 Posts
    I am also having the same issue with the shots not removing.
    I made a vid of it in case it helps.

This error was also spammed in console
    autorun/shared/cengine_effects.lua:54: bad argument #1 to 'SetNormal' (Vector expected, got number)
    Okay, apparently the function had the wrong arguments, too...
    NOW it should be fixed.

9. Post #489
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    1,878 Posts
    Is it possible to add smoke effects in the exploded areas of the dying contraption? I am not saying like having smoke come out of each each explosion, possibly just a couple of them. Just to add a little more "ooh and ahh" when looking at a contraption's death scene.

I have also noticed that when a contraption dies, etc. The wreckage that blows away from it, is usually one sided. A couple of the props in the contraption, fly off in random directions while the others all fly in the same area.

10. Post #490
    July 2008
    795 Posts
    I have a strange bug that isnt giving me wreckage at all. No LUA errors, I have no idea what is going on.

Console is set to give me wrecks.

11. Post #491
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    1,878 Posts
    I have a strange bug that isnt giving me wreckage at all. No LUA errors, I have no idea what is going on.

Console is set to give me wrecks.
    Now that you mention it I do remember the same thing happening to me. Did you set "sv_cdamage_epiccontraptiondeath" to 1? I did and found that it produces no wreckage and basically kills/removes anything near the explosion, which depending on the contraption, is a little to large.

12. Post #492
    July 2008
    795 Posts
    Now that you mention it I do remember the same thing happening to me. Did you set "sv_cdamage_epiccontraptiondeath" to 1? I did and found that it produces no wreckage and basically kills/removes anything near the explosion, which depending on the contraption, is a little to large.
    No actually, that is set to 0.

13. Post #493
    May 2009
    146 Posts
    Arania, I think that a limit should be put on how far the weapons can hit, otherwise you could snipe a space station or parked ship across the entire map. Maybe a 4-5 seconds to delete the projectile for the pulse guns, and a little more to the artillery and missiles. The problem is with the beam gun, that doesn't use a physical projectile

14. Post #494
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,131 Posts
    Arania, I think that a limit should be put on how far the weapons can hit, otherwise you could snipe a space station or parked ship across the entire map. Maybe a 4-5 seconds to delete the projectile for the pulse guns, and a little more to the artillery and missiles. The problem is with the beam gun, that doesn't use a physical projectile
    That's kind of the whole point of beam/pulse weapons. They don't really damage the ship but they damage the shield, and if it's all the way across the map then your shield has time to recharge (if it's a station it should have its own energy supply, so no need to worry about that), now the artillery on the other hand is a different matter: longer cool-down and disapears faster (but you can't heal your ship all that well, now can you?)

I was messing around with the stuff today and discovered some bugs:
    -Changing shield models doesn't work. At all. It just turns it into an ERROR prop and I can't do anything with it (even change it back to a ball) this is a huge problem for me considering I'm working with a smaller ship and I have to reset my game everytime I think I can change its model.
    -I get some lua errors when I defeat a shield (doesn't appear to effect game play, shield regenerated just fine and nothing else appeared to be wrong), I don't know what they error was, forgot to record it.

Side note:
    Having a barrage of like 8 small artilleries is fun as hell and kicks ass.

15. Post #495
    May 2009
    146 Posts
    That's kind of the whole point of beam/pulse weapons. They don't really damage the ship but they damage the shield, and if it's all the way across the map then your shield has time to recharge (if it's a station it should have its own energy supply, so no need to worry about that), now the artillery on the other hand is a different matter: longer cool-down and disapears faster (but you can't heal your ship all that well, now can you?)
    No, you got it wrong. All the weapons can do shield, normal o destructive damage. It doesn't matter if it is artillery or beam/pulse.
    And no, you won't have time to regenerate the shields, it doesn't matter how far you are from the weapon firing at you, you can't move a space satation, and the weapon can fire continuosly, non-stop at you.

16. Post #496
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,131 Posts
    No, you got it wrong. All the weapons can do shield, normal o destructive damage. It doesn't matter if it is artillery or beam/pulse.
    And no, you won't have time to regenerate the shields, it doesn't matter how far you are from the weapon firing at you, you can't move a space satation, and the weapon can fire continuosly, non-stop at you.
    I know all weapons can do shield, unless he's changed it, pulse weapons are just better at doing it. And you do have to regenerate shields if your station is across the whole map, and I never said you could move a station. Yes the weapon can fire continuosly at you, but techinically all weapons can, no matter which weapon you use the RoF isn't the best for continous onslaught. If your shields aren't strong enough to withstand a few attacks then they can recharge in time, and if they can't recharge in time they can withstand more than a few attacks; its really the whole balance of the game, maybe you should consider reallocating your resources to where your shields are more prepaired.

17. Post #497
    February 2009
    177 Posts
    A request: Is it possible to get the death explosion of a contraption to damage anything near to it? As it is entirely possible for someone to be stood in their spaceship, for the ship to be blown up, and for the person to remain standing. My thanks in advance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #498
    August 2009
    1,388 Posts
    A request: Is it possible to get the death explosion of a contraption to damage anything near to it? As it is entirely possible for someone to be stood in their spaceship, for the ship to be blown up, and for the person to remain standing. My thanks in advance.
    type this in the console while playing: sv_cdamage_epiccontraptiondeath 1

19. Post #499
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,130 Posts
    Sorry for being an lazy ass and not reading the thread, but is there currently any server with CDE running?

20. Post #500
    November 2007
    57 Posts
    Sorry for being an lazy ass and not reading the thread, but is there currently any server with CDE running?
    Last time i checked, there are four or five servers running CDE, or at least have 'CDE' in their tags (Including a DarkRP server IIRC, which I thought rather weird...)

Also: for those wondering why there's been very few updates lately, my laptop has gone and fried its GPU, so i'm not going to be doing any coding until I get that repaired (thankfully, it's an Asus laptop, and they're fairly quick about warranty repairs)

21. Post #501
    May 2009
    146 Posts
    ohh, that's bad. I hope you get it repaired soon, no one should be without his computer, it's like a man's soul XD

22. Post #502
    January 2009
    333 Posts
    will your shield soon be able to block more then just the weapons you have for it

23. Post #503

November 2008
    50 Posts
    I really really hate to bump a thread but has the project died? Or am I too much of an asshat to notice a new thread or something?

24. Post #504
    May 2009
    1,003 Posts
    I really really hate to bump a thread but has the project died? Or am I too much of an asshat to notice a new thread or something?
    The thing you could read if you weren't an asshat posted:
    10th November 2009 Last edited by Arania; 24th January 2010 at 12:14AM.. (0.8b Release)
    Its still in development..this isn't something you can do in a couple months

25. Post #505
    December 2009
    4 Posts
    If you're annoyed at the lack of updates, blame his laptop's manufacturer. Their repair technicians are the asshats.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

26. Post #506

December 2009
    3 Posts
    I dont know if this can be fixed seeing as the creator is busy or if im doing something wrong but i cant get the weapons or shields to work. I can spawn any of them but when i wire them up to a numpad input or button for testing them out they do absolutely nothing. no lua errors no sound no effects they are just like props with wire inputs. the other functions like things exploding seem to work fine so far.

any help would be great thanks

27. Post #507
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    214 Posts
    @Dreii
    Things worth checking:
    - Does CDE require resources?
    - Do you have Lifesupport addons installed?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #508
    Amazing, friendly, trustable and there for you when you're in deep shit
    March 2010
    3,650 Posts
    LOL ppl asking if dead? how inpatience can you be for an update? its been 2 weeks since last post and only 2-3 months since last update.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

29. Post #509

December 2009
    3 Posts
    Im not sure if it requires rescuorces i was hoping to find that out...

ive got life support 3 spacebuild gcombat SBEB all the normal stuff...Custom addon framework. im not sure whats missing.

30. Post #510
    May 2009
    146 Posts
    He ment if you have the weapons and shields CONNECTED to a life support system. They require energy, not just the addons installed

31. Post #511

December 2009
    3 Posts
    Oh! now it works thanks mates. didn't think of that.

32. Post #512
    November 2007
    57 Posts
    No, it's not dead, Development is jut proceeding slower than usual as I am swamped with work (Currently on my final full-time year at Uni, so... lots of assignments, and I have another paid web development project on the side).

Add to that the fact that my laptop has been in getting repaired for the last MONTH (first for a motherboard replacement after the GPU crapped out, and then AGAIN for a heatsink replacement when I couldn't get it to run cooler than 90 degrees...), and you can probably see why I haven't updated in a while.

Updates should be forthcoming once I get all the more urgent work out of the way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #513
    October 2009
    85 Posts
    Ok, is it maybe possible that post someone a little report how the Addon currently is?
    Does it support RD3?
    Does it support Stargate Weapons and Shields?
    Does it support SB Weapons?

Would be nice if somebody can give a short sum up. The long sites of posts are too much to read all.

Greetings Obstsalat
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #514
    May 2007
    448 Posts
    Ok, is it maybe possible that post someone a little report how the Addon currently is?
    Does it support RD3?

Would be nice if somebody can give a short sum up. The long sites of posts are too much to read all.

Greetings Obstsalat
    It definitely does support RD3. It may require it (not sure if RD2 works), but I'm not certain about that. I have no idea about the stargate weapons, but stargate shields should work fine/take damage from the CDE weapons. SB weapons are supported, although some of them (like the tiny weapon set) don't deal any damage because they "aren't designed for destroying props"

35. Post #515
    November 2007
    57 Posts
    Does it support RD3?
    CDE supports both RD2 and RD3.

CDE weapons (with the exception of the pulsed beam gun) will interact properly with Stargate shields. Stargate weapons (with the exception of the zat), conversely, will interact properly with CDE shields. Stargate weapons will also use CDE damage functions.

SBEP weapons WILL properly use CDE damage functions, however, SBEP weapons will pass through CDE shields, as they are not coded to work with it. CDE Contraption shields will work as normal against them.

36. Post #516
    April 2007
    116 Posts
    CDE supports both RD2 and RD3.

CDE weapons (with the exception of the pulsed beam gun) will interact properly with Stargate shields. Stargate weapons (with the exception of the zat), conversely, will interact properly with CDE shields. Stargate weapons will also use CDE damage functions.

SBEP weapons WILL properly use CDE damage functions, however, SBEP weapons will pass through CDE shields, as they are not coded to work with it. CDE Contraption shields will work as normal against them.
    Does this work with PewPew? I like how Divian has it setup but love the shielding and explosion system of this one.

http://www.wiremod.com/forum/wiremod...combat-11.html

37. Post #517
    May 2009
    146 Posts
    So far I had no problems having both installed, and they don't seem to have conflicts with each other. I tested every Pew Pew's weapons

38. Post #518
    October 2009
    85 Posts
    Sounds quite nice =D.
    If it work like you and the others here say, it would be much better then Gcombat ;)
    Im not a fan of your shields (as much as i saw on screenshots) the one out of Stargate i like more.
    But if thatone will work with all of CDE, this addon gonna to be perfect for me :D

So all in one, nice work. =)

39. Post #519
    May 2009
    88 Posts
    Is this compatible with Gcombat? I have some stuff that's gcombat-dependent, but don't wanna dump it. Will this work alongside gcombat or is it one-or-the-other?

40. Post #520
    May 2009
    146 Posts
    Is this compatible with Gcombat? I have some stuff that's gcombat-dependent, but don't wanna dump it. Will this work alongside gcombat or is it one-or-the-other?
    With GCombat09 works without problems