1. Post #241
    November 2007
    57 Posts
    Oh, is that what that second set of materials you can choose is for? Neat.
    No. The first set of three materials are for the dome itself, the second set of four materials set the material used in the shield impact effect (Try changing the material and then shooting the shield, you'll notice the impact looks different)

Aran, i still only have limited textures and effects, help? (SFX person, please? You have no idea what you're missing.)
    As i said above, if the textures aren't showing up properly (or at all), you likely have a missing or corrupted GCF (specifically 'Source Materials.gcf'), check that it exists and is intact (A tool like GCFScape can check a GCF archive for completeness). If that doesn't work, then you have a problem that is beyond my capability to help you with.

And please stop asking about doing the SFX. If i end up needing additional help on that front, I will let you know.

What is it with people and this Atlantis thing? I have never been into this "looks cool but does nothing positive in the end" kind of deal so I really wouldn't know.

All I know is:

1: Its just a shield, do people really care how it appears/dissipates/sounds/etc? As long as it does its job that should be good enough.
    2: Making it work exactly something on TV is boring and unoriginal.
    To be honest, I only really put it in because the shield just up and appearing DID seem a little rough to me, and it was fairly easy to add onto the existing code.

Given the choice, i would have the dome fade in rather than 'form', but the shaders used to render the dome prevent this.

2. Post #242
    June 2007
    917 Posts
    wire doesn;t link resources. you can wire power on the shield gen to a button set to toggle, ir a numpad input set to toggle, or a life support energy scell's energy output(so that it's on while the thing has energy, coming on automatically when energy is put into the cell). you can wire other generators to the first, which is outputting integrity. the shields build up from 0 once started, so they'd all come on and off in sync, as the wire system turns things on and off with 1+,s and zeros, pretty much.
    thats what i did was place a zpm on the sheild emitter didnt light up then i placed a button wired i belive power to zmp last one on the advanced wire tool then activate to a button nothing happened,, i think your right i need to add a power storage device to the zpm, now i think about it i wired a button that wasnt toggle it was only on and off when pressed

from what i understand the sheild takes a min to activate..

Edited:

The extra two clipping planes are used to create an 'edge' to the forming shield, which is colorised according to the color-picker settings on the STool. I didn't realise it at the time, but the alpha values for the shield were set far too low for the extra effect to be noticable (It's also not visible from inside the shield due to a problem with the texture).

I also found the cause of the shield appearing all at once on small radius settings (That problem being me being up until 3AM and being too tired to realise i needed to convert three local vectors to world vectors)

Both problems have been fixed and uploaded.

I won't be using the exact atlantis sound, no. But There will be an activation sound added in future

Also: You can't just attach the ZPM directly, Stargate-pack ZPMs require some sort of energy storage in thier network in order to activate. Try hooking a battery up to the shield and attach the ZPM to that.
    i do have alot of sounds i recorded from the show sga i do have a sheild sound i can clean it up to the point it sounds really good if you want i can do that and you can use that just let me know and i can have it in a couple days max.. also you can use a general sound one for the sga fans and one for the regular folks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Reading Bad Reading x 2Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #243
    January 2009
    3,899 Posts
    Ah, I thought that might be what they were for, but I didn't notice it when I checked. I'll have to look closer.

4. Post #244
    June 2007
    917 Posts
    No. The first set of three materials are for the dome itself, the second set of four materials set the material used in the shield impact effect (Try changing the material and then shooting the shield, you'll notice the impact looks different)

As i said above, if the textures aren't showing up properly (or at all), you likely have a missing or corrupted GCF (specifically 'Source Materials.gcf'), check that it exists and is intact (A tool like GCFScape can check a GCF archive for completeness). If that doesn't work, then you have a problem that is beyond my capability to help you with.

And please stop asking about doing the SFX. If i end up needing additional help on that front, I will let you know.

To be honest, I only really put it in because the shield just up and appearing DID seem a little rough to me, and it was fairly easy to add onto the existing code.

Given the choice, i would have the dome fade in rather than 'form', but the shaders used to render the dome prevent this.
    ok i wired it up it says active wired a button to it turned it on and nothing.. any ideas?......
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #245
    August 2008
    1,041 Posts
    I have another idea. I was thinking it would be useful to have an update option for the engine. What I mean is, the same kind of system we have on the hoverballs. You create them and, if you want to change them without respawning them, you can just input the desired settings by changing them in the Q menu and clicking on the hoverballs. I think that we should be able to do this with the CDE because sometimes it's hard to judge exactly how you want it before you create it, and then it gets tiresome to keep deleting the engine and respawning it with slightly altered settings. You can do this with most (if not all) wire components so I think it would be fitting to be able to do it with the CDE.
    Thanks very much for implimenting this, Arania. It makes thing much easier and generally makes the CDE much smoother to use.

I am very sorry if this has already been suggested, but I was wondering if it would be possible to have some kind of check box for the dome sheild that, when checked, would make it so nothing could pass through it. By this I basically mean players, props, npcs ect and not just projectiles from weapons. I understand that this could not be done for bullets, but I think it would be cool for props and things. Once again, I am sorry if this has already been discussed and vetoed, I don't have time to read the whole thread.
    It's a shame this is impossible, it would have been fantastic. The CDE is absolutely brilliant already, I wish I could code to this standared (or even code at all).

6. Post #246
    July 2007
    44 Posts
    ok i wired it up it says active wired a button to it turned it on and nothing.. any ideas?......
    If you're using LS2, use the Link Tool to link the power source to the shield. If you're using LS3, you have to link the power source to a node and then the node to the shield.

7. Post #247
    August 2009
    1,388 Posts
    I think you should make the shields usable so we don't have to keep wiring them up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Romania Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

8. Post #248
    October 2009
    4 Posts
    I've found a small bug with the health meter entity, it won't keep its wiring when duped.

9. Post #249
    June 2007
    917 Posts
    If you're using LS2, use the Link Tool to link the power source to the shield. If you're using LS3, you have to link the power source to a node and then the node to the shield.

what menu is the link tool under? ive looked everywhere and mine isnt around i then reinstalled garrys mod fresh with ls2 and still cant find it.. i did this when the other guy suggested linking instead of wireing.. and i noticed i coulndt find it anywhere..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

10. Post #250
    July 2008
    795 Posts
    what menu is the link tool under? ive looked everywhere and mine isnt around i then reinstalled garrys mod fresh with ls2 and still cant find it.. i did this when the other guy suggested linking instead of wireing.. and i noticed i coulndt find it anywhere..
    Its its own toolset near wire etc, either Resource Distribution, Life Support, or CAF. One of those three.

11. Post #251
    February 2009
    145 Posts
    Because you have made shielding adapt around a contraption like this it might be possible to make some sort of primal armor like in armored core for answer and AC4. Good job :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

12. Post #252
    December 2009
    261 Posts

Let me clarify: i see the red texture, the like liquidy bubble, in your vids, and different colors for others. for me, all i have are blue lines traversing, or green, or completely black.

Edited:

Here's how i got it to work, when i had the LS2 that bugged up but still worked for a bit: i got a fusion generator, two energy cells, a coolant compressor, a coolant tank, and the generator. I wired power to the fusion generator outpuit on, i wired coolant compressor on to the fusion generator on output, then linked up as follows; fusion gen to energy cells and coolant tank, cells to compressor and shield, then i turned on the generator. then i turned it off, energy being in the cells, and turned on the compressor till it ran out of energy. then there's coolant in the tank, your generator won't overheat. now turn on the generator, wait a min, and the shield, if i said this right, will activate in about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. You can wire the generator's on to a toggle button, if you want. just make sure there's coolant in the tank. Oh by the way, if you have LS3 downloaded and installed, but it won't show up, it's because you need custom addon frramework, and it'll then be in a tab labeled CAF.

Edited:

Unfortunately, the way you get it to work with LS3 seems to fail for me. I'm going to have to try complete reinstall... again... if all the solutions i'm finding keep failing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

13. Post #253
    December 2009
    261 Posts
    Fuck, my computer is screwed. I have to wipe. Luckily, i'm upgrading to Win7, and didn't see an opportunity. Now i do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #254
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    1,707 Posts
    Fuck, my computer is screwed. I have to wipe. Luckily, i'm upgrading to Win7, and didn't see an opportunity. Now i do.
    Uuh, you are aware that upgrading to Windows 7 can be done without a HDD wipe?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #255
    December 2009
    261 Posts
    Yes, but i need to anyway. No worries, i'll be able to save all my personal stuff, and i can re-download gmod, it's not like i have to pay for a Steam game again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #256
    June 2007
    917 Posts
    let me clarify: I see the red texture, the like liquidy bubble, in your vids, and different colors for others. For me, all i have are blue lines traversing, or green, or completely black.

Edited:

here's how i got it to work, when i had the ls2 that bugged up but still worked for a bit: I got a fusion generator, two energy cells, a coolant compressor, a coolant tank, and the generator. I wired power to the fusion generator outpuit on, i wired coolant compressor on to the fusion generator on output, then linked up as follows; fusion gen to energy cells and coolant tank, cells to compressor and shield, then i turned on the generator. Then i turned it off, energy being in the cells, and turned on the compressor till it ran out of energy. Then there's coolant in the tank, your generator won't overheat. Now turn on the generator, wait a min, and the shield, if i said this right, will activate in about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. You can wire the generator's on to a toggle button, if you want. Just make sure there's coolant in the tank. Oh by the way, if you have ls3 downloaded and installed, but it won't show up, it's because you need custom addon frramework, and it'll then be in a tab labeled caf.

Edited:

unfortunately, the way you get it to work with ls3 seems to fail for me. I'm going to have to try complete reinstall... Again... If all the solutions i'm finding keep failing.

i got it workign and its pretty cool it just needs to be slowed down and the atlantis sheild sound added or even better an off button cuz once i turn it on now that its working it dosent shut off
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #257
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    1,891 Posts
    i got it workign and its pretty cool it just needs to be slowed down and the atlantis sheild sound added or even better an off button cuz once i turn it on now that its working it dosent shut off

Are you using a constant value for the shields? Just wire "Power" to a Wire Button/Input. That turns it off and on, first make sure its on Toggle so it can stay on without having to hold the button or anything.

18. Post #258
    November 2007
    57 Posts
    I've found a small bug with the health meter entity, it won't keep its wiring when duped.
    Fixed. Problem was caused by an improper class inheritance.

19. Post #259
    December 2009
    261 Posts
    Say, do you think it's my computer doing the lines traversing thing, not the bubble looking thexture you get? I just got back my GOOD one, tuned more for gaming, from the shop, and i think the lesser one's "inferiority" might have been the cause. I'll get back to you while i get my good one up to date.
    EDIT: Yup, it's all fixed. I get all my refractions back, yay!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

20. Post #260
    June 2007
    917 Posts
    Are you using a constant value for the shields? Just wire "Power" to a Wire Button/Input. That turns it off and on, first make sure its on Toggle so it can stay on without having to hold the button or anything.
    just a standard button with zpm and large energy storage device

21. Post #261
    July 2008
    795 Posts
    just a standard button with zpm and large energy storage device
    Thats a new one for me, using toggle buttons with wire is usually fine...

...It may stay on if you have reinforcement still turned on. Check that maybe? Just thinking of what could cause it.

22. Post #262
    June 2007
    917 Posts
    Thats a new one for me, using toggle buttons with wire is usually fine...

...It may stay on if you have reinforcement still turned on. Check that maybe? Just thinking of what could cause it.
    nope that wasnt on, I just coulndt turn it off.. i ended up doing a fresh install of wire mod and gmod so its not that

23. Post #263
    July 2008
    795 Posts
    nope that wasnt on, I just coulndt turn it off.. i ended up doing a fresh install of wire mod and gmod so its not that
    Fresh SVN of CDE? Other than that I'm lost on it I'm afraid, sorry.

24. Post #264
    October 2007
    455 Posts
    I love this new engine! Much better then gcombat or cds.

My questions for you are these tho:

Since it treats all props as a single object in terms of damage does this mean parented props are affected by damage now?

Secondly, is it possible to have the shields for the contraption shield to not actually appear around invisible props? I mean can the shield bubble be transperant based on the alpha level of an object? I have a lot of invisible objects in my ships, mainly things like chips, gyroscopes and whatnot, but they become visible due to the shield outline when the shields are up.

25. Post #265
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    1,707 Posts
    Secondly, is it possible to have the shields for the contraption shield to not actually appear around invisible props? I mean can the shield bubble be transperant based on the alpha level of an object? I have a lot of invisible objects in my ships, mainly things like chips, gyroscopes and whatnot, but they become visible due to the shield outline when the shields are up.
    That would be good, actually, but I can think of some ways to abuse it (the ship gets more health from more props, remember?)

Edited:

Just thought of something:
    for that appearing/disappearing effect of the large spherical shields, why not do something that looks like the Gungan shields in SWep1?
    Wouldn't it be fairly simple, too? just a moving clipping plane descending and then removed when it hits the ground...

26. Post #266
    July 2008
    795 Posts
    Since it treats all props as a single object in terms of damage does this mean parented props are affected by damage now?
    Parented props do indeed count towards the total HP, at least using super parent multi. I haven't tested it with other parenting tools, but as super parent multi gives what I need (parenting with full physics) I wasn't going to clutter things up.

Don't forget to read the readme and fix the SBEP weapons like described if you so wish.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #267
    February 2009
    145 Posts
    say arania is it possible to make your own weapons and add them to the damage engine? because i have a really nasty weapon in mind >:D but ill need a tut or could i use the beam gun as a weapon base?

Edited:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #268
    December 2009
    261 Posts
    Sooooo, aside from lokisan's outrage about me daying something completely unrelated to his reasonings in the stargate thread, what's going on in the developing of this? Oh, i have a suggestion, too. Maybe instead of ONLY entity target finding, which seemingly only targets vehicles for me(is that correct), could they also have, say XYZ inputs, or sould that make them pass the shield, with the whole "must not use Setpos()" or whatever it is. My memory fails. A lot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

29. Post #269
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,131 Posts
    Short post:
    Guns not working?

30. Post #270
    December 2009
    261 Posts
    What version of life support do you have, and is yor wirewmod up to date, or do you even have them. Then i might be able to help.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

31. Post #271
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,131 Posts
    Don't think that's the problem, the shields work quite splendedly, just that the cannons and such won't fire. Everything's up-to-date and I have LS/RD3.

32. Post #272
    October 2007
    455 Posts
    what does "Reenforce" do on the shields? Does it recharge faster by draining power quicker from it's supplies?

33. Post #273
    June 2007
    917 Posts
    Fresh SVN of CDE? Other than that I'm lost on it I'm afraid, sorry.
    yup both fresh,, maybe its my pc

34. Post #274
    November 2007
    57 Posts
    I love this new engine! Much better then gcombat or cds.

My questions for you are these tho:

Parenting will only work under specific circumstances. The Super Parent Multi tool works because it actually uses a customised constraint. Normal parenting tools don't. If you use parenting tools, I'd suggest constructing your contraption using convential means (using welds and what-not), and THEN go through and parent everything.

As for your second point, the Contraption shield effects are currently being completely re-done (I'm replacing the semitransparent blue outline with an ellipsoid bubble, which causes less performance impact, and should eliminate your problem)

Sooooo, aside from lokisan's outrage about me daying something completely unrelated to his reasonings in the stargate thread, what's going on in the developing of this? Oh, i have a suggestion, too. Maybe instead of ONLY entity target finding, which seemingly only targets vehicles for me(is that correct), could they also have, say XYZ inputs, or sould that make them pass the shield, with the whole "must not use Setpos()" or whatever it is. My memory fails. A lot.
    I am currently working on updating the Contraption Shields with improved effects, Improved explosion effects, an updated contraption-finding function, and a Cloaking Device that uses clipping planes instead of the traditional Alpha fade. Once those are done, I will move onto updating the weapons (Including XYZ-based targetting, which has already been discussed earlier in the thread)

what does "Reenforce" do on the shields? Does it recharge faster by draining power quicker from it's supplies?
    Shields running in reinforced mode have thier HP regeneration doubled, take 25% less damage, and use 5 times their normal energy use

Don't think that's the problem, the shields work quite splendedly, just that the cannons and such won't fire. Everything's up-to-date and I have LS/RD3.
    I'm going to need a bit more information before i can help. Namely: What version of RD do you have installed? Are you using the SVN or ZIP version of CDE? Do you have the guns linked up properly? are there any console Lua errors? That sort of stuff. Just saying 'the guns don't work' isn't helpful

35. Post #275
    kp3
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    2,986 Posts
    Shields running in reinforced mode have thier HP regeneration doubled, take 25% less damage, and use 5 times their normal energy use
    What will this do when you don't have life support?

36. Post #276
    July 2008
    795 Posts
    What will this do when you don't have life support?
    The same, it just wont use energy. As Arania has said, though, the system is balanced for intended use with LS.

37. Post #277
    April 2008
    47 Posts
    I am currently working on updating the Contraption Shields with improved effects, Improved explosion effects, an updated contraption-finding function, and a Cloaking Device that uses clipping planes instead of the traditional Alpha fade. Once those are done, I will move onto updating the weapons (Including XYZ-based targetting, which has already been discussed earlier in the thread)
    How will the cloaking device work with model clipping? What I mean is will you be able to see everything when you are on the inside of the field but when you are outside of the field you won't see anything?

38. Post #278
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    1,707 Posts
    How will the cloaking device work with model clipping? What I mean is will you be able to see everything when you are on the inside of the field but when you are outside of the field you won't see anything?
    If so, it could compete with the most badass things I've ever seen in GMod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

39. Post #279
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    1,131 Posts
    I'm going to need a bit more information before i can help. Namely: What version of RD do you have installed? Are you using the SVN or ZIP version of CDE? Do you have the guns linked up properly? are there any console Lua errors? That sort of stuff. Just saying 'the guns don't work' isn't helpful
    I figured as much and that's all that I have. Using RD3, SVN version (updated), no errors, wired a to button. Going back later today to try and figure it out, it's most likely something I'm doing.

40. Post #280
    November 2007
    57 Posts
    I wasn't originally planning on doing that, but now that you mention it, it is entirely doable.

The clip planes are used by the cloaking device instead of 'fading out' the contraption when it's activated. Visually, it looks similar to the Hyperspace effect from Homeworld 2, without the actual hyperspacing (Ship slowly dissapears from front to back)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Artistic Artistic x 1Informative Informative x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)