1. Post #81
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,969 Posts
    Good job using the worst example you can, don't draw anime. Learn to draw properly.
    A bit biased aren't we? =/

He did a pretty goodjob. Though I'm not big on anime myself, it is still art.

Scan your drawings if you're an inker. Gives you a sizable version, so no positioning mess ups.

As for tablets, I love my Intuos 3.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #82
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,177 Posts
    as for tablets, I love my graphite 4

3. Post #83
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,639 Posts
    Good job using the worst example you can, don't draw anime. Learn to draw properly.
    I love people like this. An artist understands all forms of art and accepts them, but knows they don't have to practice it. It takes a closed minded failure as an artist to sit there and insult others for their chosen styles.

Take your deconstructive criticism somewhere else.

Edited:

I lurve my intuos 3 9x12. :buddy:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

4. Post #84
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,452 Posts
    I love people like this. An artist understands all forms of art and accepts them, but knows they don't have to practice it. It takes a closed minded failure as an artist to sit there and insult others for their chosen styles.

Edited:

An artist doesn't have to understand all forms of art but should not be so close-minded to say something isn't art.

I think.

5. Post #85
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,639 Posts
    I think. Should understand all forms of art are art? I dunno. Y'get the 'jist of it.

6. Post #86
    Modelrator
    February 2005
    4,157 Posts
    high five!

7. Post #87
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,639 Posts
    high five!

8. Post #88
    I'd be lost in this world without my Hatsune Miku ^__^
    July 2007
    8,189 Posts
    Great guide. I plan on purchasing a tablet now. Thanks!

9. Post #89
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    7,117 Posts
    Hey Daijitsu, is there some reason that my bamboo fun's drivers keep corrupting every week and forces me to use mouse mode?

Also it won't let me open the Pen Tablet Properties

10. Post #90
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,639 Posts
    Hey Daijitsu, is there some reason that my bamboo fun's drivers keep corrupting every week and forces me to use mouse mode?

Also it won't let me open the Pen Tablet Properties
    I'm not quite sure... I don't own the Fun, so I can't say I know specifically what's wrong. I have to ask the obvious "Is your computer plugged in?" question, though: have you completely removed the driver and re-installed the latest version?

Edited:

Great guide. I plan on purchasing a tablet now. Thanks!
    Any time! :buddy:

11. Post #91
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    7,117 Posts
    I'm not quite sure... I don't own the Fun, so I can't say I know specifically what's wrong. I have to ask the obvious "Is your computer plugged in?" question, though: have you completely removed the driver and re-installed the latest version?
    Yes
    I have to or I'm stuck in mouse mode

12. Post #92
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,639 Posts
    Yes
    I have to or I'm stuck in mouse mode
    very peculiar...

ah, finally found the FAQ- http://www.wacom.com/faqs/knowledge_search.cfm?id=237

[release]Q. My tablet was working for a while, then it stopped working. Now it moves like a mouse not a tablet. What do I do?

A. The driver process has been interrupted or halted for some reason. A simple reboot should remedy the problem. If this is a recurring problem you may have a damaged preference file.
    For a Windows computer do the following:

click on Start > Search (or find) > All Files and Folders
    Type "tablet.dat" (no quotes) in the Search for Files and Folders field
    Change the Look In Field to Local Hard drives and click search
    Select the tablet.dat file in the Search Results Window and delete it by pressing the delete key on the keyboard.
    Restart the computer.
    For Macintosh Computer using OS 9 do the following:
    Open the Mac HD
    Open the System folder
    Open the preferences folder
    Open the Tablet Folder
    Trash the tablet preferences.
    Restart the computer.
    NOTE: When restarting with a Serial tablet you will see a dialog box asking what tablet you have. Select Serial when prompted, then Search for the correct serial port.
    For Mac OS X system do the following:

For a single user, delete the tablet preferences by first choosing your HOME folder from the GO menu. Then open your home LIBRARY folder. Within your home LIBRARY folder, open the PREFERENCES folder and delete the COM.WACOM.TABLETPREFERENCES file. Log out, then log back in. When the tablet driver loads it will create a new preference file using factory default settings.

For multiple users, delete all tablet preferences by first opening the main APPLICATIONS folder. Then open the TABLET folder and run the REMOVE TABLET utility. When the utility starts, click on the REMOVE ALL PREFERENCE FILES button. Log out, then log back in. When the tablet driver loads, it will create new preference files using factory default settings.

NOTE: Do not manually remove the WACOM TABLET.PREFPANE file from the main LIBRARY PREFERENCE PANES folder. This file is only to be removed when uninstalling the table driver, and then only when using the REMOVE TABLET utility.[/release]

13. Post #93
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    245 Posts
    What are people's opinions of the new bamboo fun?
    http://www.wacom.com/bamboo/bamboo_fun.php

14. Post #94
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,639 Posts
    What are people's opinions of the new bamboo fun?
    http://www.wacom.com/bamboo/bamboo_fun.php
    The multi-touch is interesting, to say the least. I like it compared to the older bamboos, though the demo video was very... "you can do this now!" with everything that's been doable with everything else before.

15. Post #95
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,623 Posts
    I'm using Bamboo Fun, but not the most recent one. I think it's better than the one with touch enabled, my art school got those and I hate when I swipe my finger on it and it undoes something or zooms or jitters my pen.
    But I guess I get that for not using the pen mode. A6 size, though, really small space to use in pen mode. ;_;

Edited:

Could you put up a guide on preferred brushes to use with tablet with examples like which brush to use to get the crisp outline most people get when they draw in photoshop? (I can never achieve this, sadface.)

16. Post #96
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    7,117 Posts
    Whoa blast from the past. I forgot I had this is my subscribed threads.

Oh and by the way, I love this little thing (Bamboo Fun), I hope to make enough money at some point to get a medium-sized Intuos :buddy:

17. Post #97
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,639 Posts
    Whoa blast from the past. I forgot I had this is my subscribed threads.

Oh and by the way, I love this little thing (Bamboo Fun), I hope to make enough money at some point to get a medium-sized Intuos :buddy:
    I know, I just noticed the number of subscribed threads I have recently... just passed 69, and I cleaned up all the inactive ones barely a month ago :raise:

also, I keep referring people to this thread, as well as the camera one I wrote when need be. Good to keep the questions and stuff to one place, so more people will be likely to help out since they're subscribed/remember the thread/know it's a large thread instead of a random "TABLET??? HALP" thread so there will be better conversation.

:buddy:

18. Post #98
    April 2010
    8 Posts

Edited:

are you like dumb or something if you're going into drawing anatomy you always start with the normal form and then stylize it to whatever you want.

how did this moron get moderator id make a 20x better mod than you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Moldova, Republic of Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #99
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    4,142 Posts
    Still a bit expensive for me at the moment. I should be gettting a large sum of money in the summer though. But I was thinking of getting a laptop...... decisions decisions.......

20. Post #100
    March 2010
    1,738 Posts
    So do you guys know of any good portable keyboard less tablet PCs out there that are any good?

I already own a cintiq and an i3 9x12, need something portable though.

Was thinkig of http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=922624 this, you guys know of anything better?

21. Post #101
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,639 Posts
    So do you guys know of any good portable keyboard less tablet PCs out there that are any good?

I already own a cintiq and an i3 9x12, need something portable though.

Was thinkig of http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=922624 this, you guys know of anything better?
    well, I'd say it's one hell of a touch tablet, and blows the ipad out of the water given everything you showed in your thread there. Given it doesn't seem to have a tablet pen, I wouldn't get it for sake of art, but it's a great piece as-it-is.

22. Post #102
    March 2010
    1,738 Posts
    Well it does have a pen digitizer meaning it has pen support, but now there is talk of this product getting cancelled, so I ask if there are any other keyboardless tablet pcs worth getting out there?

23. Post #103
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,639 Posts
    I just found the In The News article, and your post in it. Sorry bout that.

I haven't looked into this kind of tablet myself, since I'm mostly one for pen tablets, but I'll keep an eye out.

24. Post #104
    March 2010
    1,738 Posts
    Yeah I meant for these to be more pen based than touch.

Edited:

Just lemme knw if u find anything,

thx

25. Post #105
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    738 Posts
    I am thinking about getting into art again, but don't want to spend 130 for a tablet like I did last time, I'm a complete beginner and am wondering if this tablet would do what I want? Basic drawing, don't really need anything great just a starter really. I need to keep the price as cheap as possible ideally as I am on a tight budget, but have up to 40 to spend if it can be justified.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trust-Widesc...3174194&sr=1-5

26. Post #106
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    7,117 Posts
    Here's a sample of what I'm doing with my tablet.

Edited:

It's Clover from MSPA by the way.

27. Post #107
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,639 Posts
    I am thinking about getting into art again, but don't want to spend 130 for a tablet like I did last time, I'm a complete beginner and am wondering if this tablet would do what I want? Basic drawing, don't really need anything great just a starter really. I need to keep the price as cheap as possible ideally as I am on a tight budget, but have up to 40 to spend if it can be justified.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trust-Widesc...3174194&sr=1-5
    extremely cheap often spells trouble, I'd push your budget to its limit. Reading the reviews on the tablet you linked, you're getting what you pay for, though. It delivers quick, but the drivers are sketchy, compatibility with programs tends to be random, no tech support from the company. Also noted on every review was that it has an oddly short usb cable, so I hope you're not using it on a desktop computer (unless you have a USB hub/extension).

No gripes about the sensitivity, though, which I'm rather impressed with. It's ultimately up to you, but I'd try to aim for a bamboo tablet with the money you have. Looks like for just under 50 pounds you can get a nice bamboo pen tablet, which used to be 80. I know it's ten over your budget, but the extra squeeze is well worth the product overall.

28. Post #108
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    738 Posts
    USB cable length isn't an issue for me, I have a hub and extention cable. I'll research the drivers and if it seems to have decent compatability with Vista 64 bit. I would like the bamboo pen but my budget can't really be pushed, 40 is already pushing it to the limit.

29. Post #109
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,945 Posts
    i just purchased a second hand 1st generation bamboo thanks to this thread. it only set me back $65 AUD (about $55-$60 USD) i am planning on using it for my photography course, we have just started with layer masks and using the mouse for the drawing is driving me insane. did i get a good deal?

Edited:

ebay link: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....d=606060568012

30. Post #110
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    7,237 Posts
    If you're on a budget you can buy a pack of printer paper(or a sketchbook if you're feeling fancy) and a box of pencils for under $10.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

31. Post #111
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,639 Posts
    Do ho ho...

though that is a good point- people who are on a budget should probably spend the 30 bucks they have on some form of scanner to take in their pencil work.

Would require a little learning on how to use the pen tool to ink in photoshop, but that's not TOO bad.

32. Post #112
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    7,237 Posts
    Or you could always buy a box of crayons or colored pencils.

33. Post #113
    I am Zero's Fox
    February 2009
    3,501 Posts
    I have a Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch, and I am using Windows 7.
    What I am wondering about is what programs support pressure sensitivity?
    I've seen Wacom's official list, however, even though the programs (Photoshop CS4, Flash say they support it themselves nothing happens when I push harder. (After I've enabled it)

I know there's nothing wrong with the board, because I can use it on MSNs drawing thingy and pressure actually works there, however, that program SUCKS if you want to draw serious stuff

(I am currently downloading the TVpaint Animation demo, it seems to support it, but then again, it said so about Photoshop too)

34. Post #114
    August 2009
    1,533 Posts
    You have ArtRage, Painter, Paint Tool SAI.

SAI is free and ArtRage should be free, it comes with the tablet I think.

35. Post #115
    I am Zero's Fox
    February 2009
    3,501 Posts
    You have ArtRage, Painter, Paint Tool SAI.

SAI is free and ArtRage should be free, it comes with the tablet I think.
    I had SAI before I bought the pad, but it doesn't seem to support pressure-sensitivity at all.
    I haven't checked out the different settings though, will do it now

36. Post #116
    March 2007
    503 Posts
    I got an Intuos 4 and I don't even fucking use it.
    I don't even know why I have it. I don't do any art/drawing.

Rate me dumb.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

37. Post #117
    January 2008
    1,247 Posts
    I got an Intuos 4 and I don't even fucking use it.
    I don't even know why I have it. I don't do any art/drawing.

Rate me dumb.
    Give it to me then, I would like to use it. :)

38. Post #118
    I am Zero's Fox
    February 2009
    3,501 Posts
    I don't do any art/drawing either, but since I got the board I've at least become a little better. If I keep going at this rate I'll draw basic comics in a year or so

39. Post #119
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,452 Posts
    Just got my fancy new Ergotron LX articulating wall mount with extension for my Wacom, I absolutely love it! I can move it with one hand, rotate it 360 degrees, and anywhere I move it it'll stick and not move on me. Totally worth it!

Oh, also, it'd be on but my DVI-I extension cable hasn't arrived yet.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #120
    July 2009
    3,904 Posts
    Im thinking about buying a tablet, looks like Im gonna buy the Bamboo at my local store then. :D thanks for the thread.

@above post.
    holy shit I want to be you...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)