1. Post #1
    September 2009
    1,821 Posts
    I am looking to purchase either windows 95/98/ME and I'm looking for it to run a few old games. A few are for my younger sister and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a copy of windows 95/98/ME for a good price.

Thanks in advance
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    8,414 Posts
    I don't believe you can except from maybe ebay
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Cynical Moderator
    July 2005
    1,352 Posts
    Ebay is your best bet. Wouldn't want to comment on the legality of the re-sale though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    September 2009
    1,821 Posts
    I don't believe you can except from maybe ebay
    Seems a bit pricey.

45 for a copy!

I found a copy.
    If it doesn't work out, will post back.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,824 Posts
    Can you not run those games via DosBox or something?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

6. Post #6
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,085 Posts
    Your parents don't have copies laying around either? My dad has all Windows versions from Dos 6.22 and up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    September 2009
    1,821 Posts
    Your parents don't have copies laying around either? My dad has all Windows versions from Dos 6.22 and up.
    No, all we could find were ME boxes and keys, no dics.

Btw, found a cheap copy on ebay and won it. Thanks for all your help.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    547 Posts
    You'll need some old hardware to run certain older programs correctly (mainly DOS). You certainly won't be able to use modern graphics cards, and you'll need an old sound card in most cases. Emulating those with DOSBox would be a lot easier IMO. And the ones that are designed for the Windows environment should work on modern operating systems. What games did you specifically want to play?

9. Post #9
    September 2009
    1,821 Posts
    can someone explain how dos box works? It would be useful as the windows 98 isn't working great with all the specs as they don't seem to be old enough. It would be useful for running the games for my little sister. Would it be better to install XP on the system as that was on it before and then install dos box?

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts
    You should reinstall XP and get either:

A) DosBox running for all the older games
    B) A Virtual Machine of 95/98/ME

or both
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    September 2009
    1,821 Posts
    o.k. It sounds better then the windows 98 as it takes 15 minutes to boot and then says the Graphics card is conflicting with the RAM even though the stuff is 5 years old it's too new for 98. If I could have a brief outline/gude to A and B in your post robmaister12 that would help a lot

12. Post #12
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,085 Posts
    Windows 98 didn't have as "smart" of a resourcing system, a lot of the addresses had to be set manually in the BIOS, and because Windows 98 is old and unsupported, I'm not surprised it won't work.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts
    o.k. It sounds better then the windows 98 as it takes 15 minutes to boot and then says the Graphics card is conflicting with the RAM even though the stuff is 5 years old it's too new for 98. If I could have a brief outline/gude to A and B in your post robmaister12 that would help a lot
    actually A will only work if you want DOS/Win 3.1 to run

B:
    1) Download VirtualPC 2007 here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

2) Start up Virtual PC, New...

3) Run through the wizard, choose the settings for whichever OS you will be using. If you want to up the HDD size, it lets you do that.

4) Once it's made, a black window should open and some text should appear. Pop in your OS's CD/DVD and you may need to restart the Virtual Machine once for it to boot into the CD. Once in the CD, go through the installation as you would on any PC. It should restart and load your OS.

5) From here, install whatever programs you want, do whatever you want on it. To access the Virtual Machine again, just load Virtual PC 2007 and double click the VM you want to boot to.

NOTE: It may ask that you enable virtualization on your computer, to do so, restart your computer but press the key it tells you to in order to boot into "Setup" or the BIOS (mine is F2, but I've seen several other keys), Virtualization should be somewhere in your processor settings.

14. Post #14
    September 2009
    1,821 Posts
    thanks, I should have posted earlier, I figured it out and have it with windows xp and 98 on a virtual PC. Only problem I have, is that I launch up Need For Speed 1 for her and I have to run the version without sound otherwise it is like 2/3 fps the whole time.

Any reason why this happens?

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts
    thanks, I should have posted earlier, I figured it out and have it with windows xp and 98 on a virtual PC. Only problem I have, is that I launch up Need For Speed 1 for her and I have to run the version without sound otherwise it is like 2/3 fps the whole time.

Any reason why this happens?
    Virtual Machines will emulate hardware (a bit hard to explain, but in layman's terms, your processor is running a processor within it), and as hard as it currently is to emulate a processor, graphics on a virtual machine have not gone much further than integrated graphics.

So your processor is running not only another processor, but graphics, audio, etc.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,484 Posts
    Virtual Machines will emulate hardware (a bit hard to explain, but in layman's terms, your processor is running a processor within it), and as hard as it currently is to emulate a processor, graphics on a virtual machine have not gone much further than integrated graphics.

So your processor is running not only another processor, but graphics, audio, etc.
    With VT-x/AMD-V, the performance hit is basically non-existant, and for pre-XP games, VirtualBox will handle passing the DirectX/OpenGL commands easily.

Basically, nowadays, trying to run something like Crysis or even World of Warcraft in a virtual machine is a stupid idea, but something like Counter-Strike 1.6, Warcraft III or Red Alert 3, easy. And you apparently will be playing games even older than those.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts
    With VT-x/AMD-V, the performance hit is basically non-existant, and for pre-XP games, VirtualBox will handle passing the DirectX/OpenGL commands easily.

Basically, nowadays, trying to run something like Crysis or even World of Warcraft in a virtual machine is a stupid idea, but something like Counter-Strike 1.6, Warcraft III or Red Alert 3, easy. And you apparently will be playing games even older than those.
    Like i said, that's all in the processor - VT-x/AMD-V are both methods of processor virtualization, your graphics card is not touched in the process. All DirectX and OpenGL commands are pushed through the processor - making it act as a graphics card, as well as a processor for your VM, and a processor for your actual desktop (you can have programs open while a VM is open, your processor handles that at the same time)

So if you have an older processor, it may have a harder time with even some simple graphics commands.

18. Post #18
    Captain Westcliff: Thinks Wales is an Island
    January 2006
    18,294 Posts

have you ever run any of those games?

be honest

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts
    -snip-

20. Post #20
    Captain Westcliff: Thinks Wales is an Island
    January 2006
    18,294 Posts
    why would i care that you've played it on your regular desktop

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts
    why would i care that you've played it on your regular desktop
    I thought you were agreeing with him and quoting me... I should be going to bed now..

oh, and rate me bad reading
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Reading Bad Reading x 3 (list)

22. Post #22
    September 2009
    1,821 Posts
    The games my younger is playing are:
    Windows XP
    Famous Five: Tresure Island
    Famous Five: Silver Tower (problem running)
    Famous Five: Kidnapped
    Famous Five: Dangorous Discovery
    Famous Five: Secret Mission

Then on the windows 98 virtual PC
    Lego Island
    Mission Nutrition
    Road and Track: Need For Speed (runs without sound but if I try with sound it laggs like hell)

All run fine except the Silver tower which gets an error on startup. But the main thing is she's loving it and was happy to have it on her birthday. She's only 7 so isn't playing Counter Strike just yet :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 5 (list)