1. Post #1
    Stolt Svensk
    June 2008
    9,091 Posts
    Writing this as I just fixed my PC, started it up, it got up to the starting screen (Where it loads Windows) Then about halfway done it flashed to BSOD for like 0.5 secounds then it restarted, luckily I had my XP CD by my side, popped it in, started with it, opened Recovery Consone and did CHKDSK, restarted and tada, it worked like a clock!

So, what is the weirdest thing that has happened to your Windows?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,156 Posts
    The fact that it can start locking up for a month doing anything, then at some random point in time it stops locking up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    42,018 Posts
    Open and Save As dialogs would cause explorer and whatever program I opened it in to crash.

I searched on the internet on how to fix it but I finally gave up and just shut down.

I've never been able to recreate this.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    626 Posts
    I had a German Windows XP for half a year.

I'm English.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 8Funny Funny x 6 (list)

5. Post #5

October 2009
    4,686 Posts
    Well...
    I opened my windows and this burst of air came in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 42Dumb Dumb x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    2,589 Posts
    On the first computer I built, whenever I disabled my network connection it would do a hard restart.

And basically everything would break if on-board sound was enabled.

My motherboard was completely fucked up I think.

7. Post #7
    July 2009
    4,727 Posts
    I woke up to a loud **CRASH!!!** and it woke me from my beauty sleep. I still don't understand how it fell out of its frame, but I'm thankful it tipped outward and not inward.

The fact that it can start locking up for a month doing anything, then at some random point in time it stops locking up.
    A little grease in the tracks will help your windows glide smoothly in their tracks. Also, try to remember to keep the tracks clear of debris such as dirt, cobwebs, moisture, dead insects, old food, etc. The old windows in my last apartment locked up all the time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Late Late x 4Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    December 2009
    2,975 Posts
    I have to say, one of the weirdest Windows problems I've run across was where some of the letters in the boot menu got changed out.

Like 'q' instead of 'o' and such. I know there's an image of that floating around somewhere.

9. Post #9
    August 2009
    1,434 Posts
    When my taskbar and my pictures folder stopped working one day.

Taskbar I had to close the explorer.exe and start it again, and turns out it was locked

I still havent fixed the problem with My Pictures folder because I have no idea why it freezes paint/photoshop/the folder when I open it

10. Post #10
    March 2007
    422 Posts
    Permissions denied on an administrator account to change a value in HKEY CURRENT USER.
    What the hell.

11. Post #11
    July 2009
    4,727 Posts
    Windows prompting me for admin priviledges when I'm already using an administrator level account. That's like asking the user ROOT to SUDO every command. :facepalm:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Agree Agree x 4 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts
    "explorer.exe has encountered an error and needs to close" when I opened up a folder in Explorer that had an un-thumbnailed video file.

(turns out it was something to do with Nero, I set an exception in DEP and it fixed it, thanks to google)

I'm pretty sure this doesn't have to do with windows, but facebook chat crashed my browser. So I thought, ok, maybe firefox has sketchy support for facebook chat. I try it in IE, Chrome and Opera.. all three are crashed by facebook chat. It doesn't seem to be crashing anymore though...

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    315 Posts
    one time all my icons got screwed up. Firefox had a question mark icon, text docs had a floppy disk icon, music had a bar graph icon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2008
    17,590 Posts
    At one point whenever I tried to run anything full screen (even web browsers, not just directX apps) it would cause my computer to do a hard reset.

Edited:

Windows prompting me for admin priviledges when I'm already using an administrator level account. That's like asking the user ROOT to SUDO every command. :facepalm:
    That too, shit's fucking weird.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    July 2009
    4,727 Posts
    My Firefox has bloom. :3:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8Dumb Dumb x 8Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    3,488 Posts
    the strangest thing that happened to me on windows is in windows 98, i got these messages saying my program preformed an illegal operation. i wonder why the cops didn't show up...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    ask me for a rust key :~)
    December 2008
    18,454 Posts
    My Firefox has bloom. :3:

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/6410/71773832.jpg
    thats actually kinda cool:ninja:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,407 Posts
    When Windows Error reporting crashed, making a new instance of Windows error reporting( to report WEP crashing), which promptly crashed. This repeated itself until I got to about a 1000 process running and i rebooted. I also had some crazy classic/aero hybrid theme going on

Edited:

yeah that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 16 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,766 Posts
    I'm not entirely sure, but I think something went wrong.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,202 Posts
    When I still used 95 a long time ago The Settlers III crashed the whole PC and after restarting the whole desktop and Windows Explorer was gone. I didn't know how to reinstall Windows so I had to use the PC through Task Manager -> Run...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Austria Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    4,144 Posts
    My Blu Ray player refuses to play my blu rays dude to error=2002......fuckers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,409 Posts
    I can't check the video specifications in PC Wizard 2009. Windows will mysteriously close it if I try.

What are you hiding, Windows?

23. Post #23
    Gold Member

November 2007
    8,432 Posts
    Essentially this.

Except the screen stays black, and it is 7600.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    Had the weirdest bug ever yesterday where I couldn't type '(' but I could type ')'. 0 and 9 both worked. Reboot fixed it.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,202 Posts
    Back during the W7 RC times it sometimes told me that I had to activate it because something was wrong or it was pirated or something and directly underneath was a activate button that instantly activated Windows even without an internet connection.

26. Post #26
    August 2009
    2,875 Posts
    currently, sometimes the file deletion dialog goes on forever with the progress bar full. just closing it or pressing cancel gets rid of it though...

27. Post #27
    March 2009
    808 Posts

Not me, good ol' fashioned virus.

Edited:

When Windows Error reporting crashed, making a new instance of Windows error reporting( to report WEP crashing), which promptly crashed. This repeated itself until I got to about a 1000 process running and i rebooted. I also had some crazy classic/aero hybrid theme going on

Edited:

yeah that
    Holy shit, I lol'd.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts
    About 2 days ago, whenever I clicked on anything in the taskbar to bring it to front, it would do nothing and the icon would flash orange. A reboot fixed it. I'm still curious as to how that even happened.

29. Post #29
    Strange Member
    June 2005
    4,828 Posts
    Getting French and Japanese error messages at the same time.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,268 Posts
    I was playing a game on the computer and then I heard high pitched beeping from the tower. I nearly had a heart attack after it turned into static... I thought it was going to blow up. I picked up my speaker, unplugged, and put it back in then my monitor flashed red, green, blue, and yellow I think. It restarted fine. I thought some evil virus program manifested itself into the mainframe and was trying to speak with me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    March 2008
    3,204 Posts
    Playing with file permission, and I locked myself out of a folder.

I couldn't delete it, open it, copy it, zip it, I couldn't even format the disk to get rid of it.

I had to re-format it with linux.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    December 2009
    2,975 Posts
    Why didn't you just change permissions BACK?

Or take ownership, then you automatically get full access.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    December 2009
    14 Posts
    Well once a bird flew into one of my windows and died but that's the oddest thing I've had happen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Funny Funny x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    7,641 Posts
    Probably when Spybot got a little too over-zealous with its deletion and removed the registry entry for Windows Log-In, and I couldn't access anything on my machine until I went in with BartPE and fixed it.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,935 Posts
    Random restarting, and internet lossage for no reason :confused:

This happens to this very day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2009
    866 Posts
    Terrorists made a virus that turned my computer into a bomb.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,756 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,047 Posts
    Not the weirdest, but annoying anyways.
    Every time I insert my flash drive to my desktop, the computer locks up for a few seconds, then any window that's open becomes maximized by itself. It's soooo annoying.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,798 Posts
    Everytime I did an right click on anything, it took up like 2 minutes. And then, imagine you have to rename a few files...

40. Post #40

April 2009
    708 Posts
    My windows suddenly REFUSED to boot, saying that the file where my registry was stored was corrupted.

My Windows disk would blue-screen, so I couldn't really do anything.

It magically fixed itself the very next day. :?