1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,413 Posts
    Hey Facepunch. I wanna take you through the progress of a big project that I've been working on for some months now.

I have this friend, who owns a big car import, and he told me that he was gonna start a drift team next year, and he wanted me to do the cars graphics.

This is how his S15 looked before I started:

So, this is the progress. From start to end.

First, I went to take some pictures of the car to make the graphics on, so that I know they will be the right size and proportions.

After taking those pics, I started drawing it in Flash, so that the colors would be better, more clean reflections etc.

Outlined first:

Then I colored it:

Now I had a template to use, so I spent hours on talking with my friend, and the guy who's going to drift the car next year, and we finally came up with a design that we all liked.

So first I made a viewer friendly version, so they could see what it was going to look like when done:

Then I had to do a printer friendly version, that means no reflections or anything like that in the vinyl:

After that, we had to decide how the rear of the car had to look, so I drew a very quick, and way less detailed pic of the rear

And made a printer friendly design to begin with:

And then I waited.

And just here, 1 hours ago, I saw my design in real life for the first time! It was so amazing to see!

Here are the pics of the finished result:

That's my name :q:

If everything goes right, this design will be on 6 cars by the beginning of 2010.

Enjoy, and ask away if you have any questions!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Artistic Artistic x 136Winner Winner x 10Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    NotMeh works out at home.
    June 2009
    12,111 Posts
    Wow that actually looks great
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 33Friendly Friendly x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,413 Posts
    Thanks! Here's a short video of the car driving on the road:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    6,248 Posts
    Really nice man, congratulations!

Edited:

I see a few bubbles in it which kinda sucks, but hey what can you do.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,413 Posts
    Yeah I know. I didn't do any of the filming though. But they filmer-guys told me that they had a real hard time because the car is so boxy and edgy.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    3,683 Posts
    That looks fucking fantastic. On one of the pictures I saw an air bubble though. Might want to smooth that out asap.

7. Post #7
    November 2008
    1,266 Posts
    Design fits the car really well, I love it!

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,109 Posts
    Wow, that is really awesome man. Good job. I wish I could do that. I might try it in the future. How exactly do you do it?

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,609 Posts
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c289/Ferosso/Jock%20S15/SilviaS15Sidewcolor.pngI still can't believe you made that in flash. It boggles my mind.

And yea, how much would it typically cost for a custom "job" like this one done on a car?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    4,980 Posts
    Holy crap, you're an awesome person
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    6,627 Posts
    That's great, a bit of a shame about the text, it turns it from a great design to looking like advertising. Great job though.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    4,411 Posts
    I just checked out that website, and damn I wish I had 80,000 now :(

now for some on-topic, I don't like the way the rocks or whatever it is just has a gap on the rear, otherwise looks smexy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    November 2006
    6,827 Posts
    Wish I could afford something like that, insurance would be up the fucking ass though for it.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    8,720 Posts
    Wow....
    I mean holy shit, that's great

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    1,176 Posts
    When I first saw the design I didn't really like it. Then when I saw it on the car I completely changed my mind. Great work on both the design and that awesome flash colouring.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

16. Post #16
    September 2009
    3,036 Posts
    It's been a while since I saw a utsunomiya plate on a car

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    3,044 Posts
    sheeeeeet that is smokin' dude!

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,413 Posts
    That's great, a bit of a shame about the text, it turns it from a great design to looking like advertising. Great job though.
    Yeah I know, but that's the point. Liveries are made to advertise for something!

I just checked out that website, and damn I wish I had 80,000 now :(

now for some on-topic, I don't like the way the rocks or whatever it is just has a gap on the rear, otherwise looks smexy.
    Yeah I agree with you. I'm quite disappointed with that too, but the car was a pain in the ass to film, and apparently that was the best solution.

Wow, that is really awesome man. Good job. I wish I could do that. I might try it in the future. How exactly do you do it?
    I pretty much explained the process :confused:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c289/Ferosso/Jock%20S15/SilviaS15Sidewcolor.pngI still can't believe you made that in flash. It boggles my mind.

And yea, how much would it typically cost for a custom "job" like this one done on a car?
    I didn't take any money for this. He's my friend, and I'm still learning. I'm just considering this a great way to advertise myself. But the filming of the car was about $1300

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,609 Posts
    I didn't take any money for this. He's my friend, and I'm still learning. I'm just considering this a great way to advertise myself. But the filming of the car was about $1300
    Yea, I actually meant how much it would cost for the graphic to get put onto the car itself. Not the actual design process. :D

I assume it's the last part, the filming. $1,300? Hmm..

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    8,148 Posts
    Holy shit.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,413 Posts
    Yea, I actually meant how much it would cost for the graphic to get put onto the car itself. Not the actual design process. :D

I assume it's the last part, the filming. $1,300? Hmm..
    Yeah "filming" is applying the graphics.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,413 Posts
    Massive huge bump, but I'd like to show you guys what the car looks like now, along with other cars driving with my artwork on.

And the Corolla

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Artistic Artistic x 14Winner Winner x 2Friendly Friendly x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    3,683 Posts
    That is still fucking sick.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

24. Post #24
    August 2009
    1,533 Posts
    Your pictures never get old Ferosso. My favorite FP photographer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    1,995 Posts
    That's an awesome project. Results are amazing looking.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,086 Posts
    I remember this! It looks great IRL.

27. Post #27

February 2010
    36 Posts
    nice stuff man

28. Post #28
    July 2009
    5,698 Posts
    Dude this is fucking awesome!

You need to start doing big time stuff, like designing labels for major companies' cars.

???

HUGE PROFIT!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    loves SHART and apologizes for being a dick
    June 2005
    12,333 Posts
    godly

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    5,975 Posts
    Fucking incredible

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    2,600 Posts
    ITT: A cool Facepuncher.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    Emz
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    2,318 Posts
    Very nice! You're very skilled at graphics design. +1 artistic to add to your large collection of palettes. :3:

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,670 Posts
    Rated heart because your pictures and designs stole mine. :love:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,413 Posts
    Thanks everybody! I'm working on another graphic for the second corolla on the team.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    2,562 Posts
    I love it. Good luck on your next design, When it is done, check for bubbles. Good luck man

36. Post #36
    October 2008
    503 Posts
    That's fucken cool.

37. Post #37
    January 2010
    6,079 Posts
    Impressive, Wish I could do that.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,413 Posts
    Another massive bump:

A guy from Speedhunters photographed the cars from the team at a driftevent in Sweden. I know he made a full feature with the S15 aswell, I just don't know when it's gonna come online.

Also, the team manager says that he's gonna go big, and he's seriously considering coming to the states for drifting.
    So maybe you might be seeing the car IRL in the years to come.

Speedhunters pics and article:

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2010...to-sweden.aspx
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    3,838 Posts
    Hooollyyyyy shhiiiiiiiiit

Nice work

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    4,351 Posts
    Fantastic, bro.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)