1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,665 Posts
    I've been playing bass for 5 or 6 years, and I just got interested in Electric Guitar (I've recently been trying a lot of instruments, as I pick them up pretty fast). My dad just bought be an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra (500 quid, so it's actually high end for a Les Paul) for christmas, which I helped to pay for. The only thing is, I don't have a guitar amplifier. I could probably get one with my wages after cristmas (getting paid triple time at christmas so 12 pounds an hour plus good tips for a whole week, equates to about 300 quid). But until I get that money, can I play the guitar through my 100W Ashdown bass amp? It's a really expensive and good quality amp and so I don't want to damage it. I also have a 40W version of the same amp. I've been playing synth through my 100W for a while and it's fine. Thanks!

Oh yeah, I played the guitar in the shop, and I actually preferred it to a Fender strat, and it's roughly the same price.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    September 2008
    225 Posts
    Yes you can do that. you won't have any distorsion but you can play.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,665 Posts
    Yeah, it will only be for a week or so. It's more the safety of the amp than the range of features that I'm worried about. Thanks :).

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,661 Posts
    Yes, but don't do it the other way around (bass through a guitar amp, you'll blow it).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,665 Posts
    Yeah I knew that one. Bass amps have a pretty damn big frequency range.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    399 Posts
    Bass amps can handle pretty much anything. You can go out and get a distortion pedal and use it with the bass amp, it'll still be fine.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    3,114 Posts
    I've used on before and yeah it works, you might get a little extra bass but it should be fine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    12,152 Posts
    Yeah man no problems with doing that, alot of bands do that, and so do alot of 8 string players.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,593 Posts
    Yes, but don't do it the other way around (bass through a guitar amp, you'll blow it).
    Yes and No, the danger with that is the cab or speaker aren't really geared towards bass frequencies, but if you play at a low volume for practice, you should be OK. You just don't want to crank the volume because that could cause damage.

10. Post #10
    November 2009
    6,138 Posts
    Ofcourse you can play guitar through a bass-amp, and yes you can get distortion on it.
    That's how Josh Homme played during his stint with Kyuss, you'll get a beefier tone by it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    August 2009
    1,005 Posts
    Ofcourse you can play guitar through a bass-amp, and yes you can get distortion on it.
    That's how Josh Homme played during his stint with Kyuss, you'll get a beefier tone by it.
    He's done it with a few of his songs with Them Crooked Vultures too. Plays straight into Ampeg heads.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,665 Posts
    I meant that I obviously can't use an amps built in distortion channel, since the bass amp doesn't have one. I was just making sure it wouldn't cause any damage.

Edited:

Thanks everyone.

13. Post #13
    November 2009
    6,138 Posts
    Epic Sandwich posted:
    He's done it with a few of his songs with Them Crooked Vultures too. Plays straight into Ampeg heads.
    Oh right, didn't know :)

I meant that I obviously can't use an amps built in distortion channel, since the bass amp doesn't have one. I was just making sure it wouldn't cause any damage.

Edited:

Thanks everyone.
    Oh alright, yeah it's better to ask before doing stuff :)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,665 Posts
    Yeah that's what I thought, better safe than sorry :).

15. Post #15
    August 2009
    1,005 Posts
    Oh right, didn't know :)
    Yeh, really unique sound. Love that album.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    3,044 Posts
    A friend of mine uses a Bass through a guitar amp. it sounds wierd.

17. Post #17
    August 2009
    1,005 Posts
    A friend of mine uses a Bass through a guitar amp. it sounds wierd.
    He really shouldn't. It's going to blow/break.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    USER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM REALITY - RETRY CONNECTION IN 5 MINUTES
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts

Edited:

Thanks everyone.
    My bass amp has distortion built in. My guitar actually sounds better through that with the distortion than it does in my guitar amp with distortion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    November 2009
    27 Posts
    It will, but it wouldn't really get the treble out for what you want. It depends what bass amp and what guitar, you get many different sounds. Take it from me, Guitar 10 years, bass 8. You could play sure, but I think that you should really use a guitar amp for the sound you want. Any les paul gives out a darker sound, so it would go alright with a bass amp, but I would recommend a guitar amp.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,310 Posts
    I'm looking to make my next guitar amp a bass amp, cleans are absolutely orgasmic through them.

21. Post #21
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    Anybody know about the other way around?

would it wreck a guitar amp if a bass was played through it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    4,279 Posts
    probably would

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    3,310 Posts
    Anybody know about the other way around?

would it wreck a guitar amp if a bass was played through it?
    It you play at louder than very low volumes then yes, you will damage your speaker.

24. Post #24
    August 2009
    14,820 Posts
    Well I sure as fuck won't be letting my friend bass on it then

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,665 Posts
    It will, but it wouldn't really get the treble out for what you want. It depends what bass amp and what guitar, you get many different sounds. Take it from me, Guitar 10 years, bass 8. You could play sure, but I think that you should really use a guitar amp for the sound you want. Any les paul gives out a darker sound, so it would go alright with a bass amp, but I would recommend a guitar amp.
    Yeah like I said I'm still buying a guitar amp later, thanks again.

26. Post #26
    August 2009
    957 Posts
    I like switching the amps.

I get rather good tone from playing my bass through a guitar amp.

Just play with the EQ and you'll find what you like.

27. Post #27
    August 2009
    1,005 Posts
    I get rather good tone from playing my bass through a guitar amp.
    As I've already said, you really shouldn't. It's going to blow/break.

28. Post #28
    August 2009
    957 Posts
    As I've already said, you really shouldn't. It's going to blow/break.
    That's why I turn the bass knob down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)