1. Post #41
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,326 Posts
    Also, one more thing Chesty. I only ever showed you that technique to hand draw muzzle flashes with splatter brushes, but I have found that by smoke brushes instead it can come out looking a lot more realistic. I could show you if you had the time at some point.
    Sounds great. You got a date, mate.
    <3

Made a Resources section in the sticky and put this in it.
    Gracias amigo.

------------------

Yessssh two pages. Thanks guys! Thread will be updated again tomorrow hopefully.

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,319 Posts
    needs hand drawn muzzleflashes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Bad Reading Bad Reading x 3 (list)

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,326 Posts
    Needs reading the thread properly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

4. Post #44
    I'm a loner who likes to get beat up at school
    June 2009
    11,557 Posts
    This.

Also, nice tutorial, Chesty. I already knew most of this, but good work nonetheless!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,319 Posts
    I don't see no hand drawn ones.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Bad Reading Bad Reading x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #46
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,326 Posts
    I don't see you reading the thread properly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

7. Post #47
    January 2009
    1,045 Posts
    You mean after the character has been isolated it has a white line around it? You are isolating too wide then. To fix it, use the "magic wand" and click outside your character on his layer. Then go to "selection/grow" and pick one or two pixels, and then press delete. That should hopefully fix it this time around. In the future though, you'll need to isolate closer to the character.
    fuck, it could be that i was CUTTING the selection instead of copying. rate be bad reading/dumb
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

8. Post #48
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,284 Posts
    Thanks Chesty! I'll give this technique a try as soon as I can, but my computer's having all kinds of problems

rate be bad reading/dumb
    I'll rate gaybow
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #49
    May 2009
    508 Posts
    nice tut, cant wait for the blood gore one :)

I posed this a few days ago and after seeing your tutorial, decided to edit it.
    As you go along with your tutorial, I will update the pic w/ the techniques you have been teaching.

[url]http://filesmelt.com/downloader/scifizombie1.jpg[/url]
    Original:

http://filesmelt.com/downloader/cs_office000027.jpg
    And thanks once again for your much needed contribution to the community.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,326 Posts
    Thread updated with blood splatter!

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    5,014 Posts
    http://www.eletric-lounge.com/reaper/Ks/1up/files/5/wtfhax.jpg
    Well. Okay.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #52
    March 2009
    182 Posts
    Thanks, this was really helpful! :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,092 Posts
    Oh, you're updating this thread fast. :D

14. Post #54
    Dennab
    October 2009
    354 Posts
    Dodging/Burning the blood by hand is kind of a waste of time imo. You can very easily just use Bevel and Emboss and achieve the same effect.

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,326 Posts
    Dodging/Burning the blood by hand is kind of a waste of time imo. You can very easily just use Bevel and Emboss and achieve the same effect.
    Yes, but I like to avoid telling people to use filters like bevel/emboss because people tend to overdo it. Also, this is primarily a GIMP tutorial and, in GIMP, bevel/emboss removes the colour from a layer, making it more trouble that it's worth (it would take the same amount of time to apply the filter correctly and change the colour and brightness as it would to just quickly dodge and burn the blood).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #56
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    12,129 Posts
    you don't need any dodge imo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

17. Post #57
    Dennab
    October 2009
    354 Posts
    Yes, but I like to avoid telling people to use filters like bevel/emboss because people tend to overdo it. Also, this is primarily a GIMP tutorial and, in GIMP, bevel/emboss removes the colour from a layer, making it more trouble that it's worth (it would take the same amount of time to apply the filter correctly and change the colour and brightness as it would to just quickly dodge and burn the blood).
    Ah, I didn't know that GIMP removed the colors from it.

you don't need any dodge imo
    Enjoy flat blood.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #58
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    4,611 Posts
    It will be covered guys, don't worry - read the end of the OP before posting requests please.
    I wasn't requesting i was just saying that is the part of it i want to learn about.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,319 Posts
    I can't wait for the snow tutorial
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #60
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,134 Posts
    Hm, I would have suggested simply using zoom blur for the blood but, w/e...

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    3,577 Posts
    Rim-lighting please :science:, great tutorial.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    3,348 Posts
    Bump for glory.

(Page 4 :O)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #63
    July 2009
    9,829 Posts
    :crying:
    When will you go on with this tutorial?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Austria Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    2,744 Posts
    Great work, should help some people out!

Have a heart! <3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #65
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,326 Posts
    :crying:
    When will you go on with this tutorial?
    It's Christmas! I'm a busy beaver! This might not be updated until the 27th.

26. Post #66
    I'm a loner who likes to get beat up at school
    June 2009
    11,557 Posts
    You can just add the rain part, since you were anyways :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #67
    January 2008
    382 Posts
    Chesty my good man, thank you very much, now I might actually use my Cs4.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #68
    December 2009
    189 Posts
    This really helped I still need practice but this got me started!

29. Post #69
    July 2009
    813 Posts
    Bumping from page 4

This needs to be finished.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Singapore Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #70
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,326 Posts
    Update later today.

31. Post #71
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,326 Posts
    And when I said later today, I really meant tomorrow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #72

November 2007
    13 Posts
    I've been dying for this tutorial to go on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

33. Post #73
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,326 Posts
    Gah you people think I live to serve you? There will be an update, I haven't given up on this but I'm a very busy person and this is a very busy time of the year. Although my post-count might deceive you, I do have a lot more going on than just this damn forum. Be patient my students, be patient.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #74
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,319 Posts
    pls chestey releas new update so i can lern to ediit plsssssssssssssssssssssss
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #75
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,326 Posts
    Next update is half-way done but it won't be finished today. It's on texturing (anyone comment "waaaah but I wanted to jump on the rim-lighting bandwagon 3 months late!" then you will get a box).

36. Post #76
    July 2009
    20 Posts
    I'm having a bit of trouble with Gimp, man. You know that little box that let's you select what layer you're working on? I don't know how to pull it up. It makes editing a bit harder. OH HALP ME MEESHTAR MECGEEH

37. Post #77
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,326 Posts
    Thread updated with texturing!

I'm having a bit of trouble with Gimp, man. You know that little box that let's you select what layer you're working on? I don't know how to pull it up. It makes editing a bit harder. OH HALP ME MEESHTAR MECGEEH
    That... little box? You mean in the layers window? Just click the picture and drag. I'm not sure what's up there.

38. Post #78
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,141 Posts
    Loving this thread, keep up the good work! :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

39. Post #79
    March 2007
    3,672 Posts
    I wish I could even attempt editing.

40. Post #80
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,134 Posts
    Ah excellent! A texturing tut! I've been itching to try texturing out. Great work Chesty!