1. Post #1
    'Fashion Designer'
    August 2005
    13,659 Posts
    Welcome to the Sixth iteration of this thread!
    Thanks to DeathDoom for retrieving the previous thread.

Previous Threads:
    Thread 1 - DdlyMiget
    Thread 2 - Thorny
    Thread 3 - Thorny
    Thread 4 - Thorny
    Thread 5 - Thorny

Dwarf Fortress

Dwarf Fortress is a rogue-like game that focuses on the establishment and long-term maintaining of a dwarven settlement. Everything is rendered in ASCII, although there are "tilesets" that render everything differently.

Dwarf Fortress started development in 2001, and no public release was made until 2006.

Originally the game was simply 2D (meaning, there were no z levels. You could not go up or down). There was no variety in the maps. On the left, there is a grassland, and on the right side, there is a mountain, further in a cave river, chasm, magma and then adamantine/the Pits.

Then, the 3D version was released, with the major addition of Z levels, and mechanics. This expanded gameplay tremendously, but made underground rivers, magma, and creatures etc unique to their landscape. To clarify, this is not in a 3D view, but adds 3D features. Whereas in the 2D version you could go left and right, x and y axis, the 3D version adds up/down, the z-axis. Once more, THIS IS FROM THE SAME VIEW AS THE 2D VERSION, TOP-DOWN.

The latest 2D version is here
    Note: 2D version is no longer updated and lacks many of the features you may be used to in the 3D version.

The latest 3D version is here

There are OpenGL versions of the game available which run better than their predecessors, here are the links!

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df..._40d13_win.zip - Windows
    http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df..._linux.tar.bz2 - Linux
    http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df...13_osx.tar.bz2 - Mac

The most stunning feature of Dwarf Fortress is that it creates a randomly generated, persistent world for you to play in. (The world is only "on" when you are actually playing in it, however.) When you die in either the adventure or fortress modes, your next game will be in the same world, albeit a few days later. You can visit your old fortress, or get revenge on the monster that killed your adventurer. If your fortress or your adventurer had done anything of particular note, there's a chance that the game will generate a legend for them, which you can read about in the legends section. (Provided you've discovered enough information about the legend)

Dwarf Fortress has three major game modes and a fourth non-game mode:

* Dwarf Fortress Mode: In this mode you manage a number of dwarves whose task is to create a fortress.
    * Reclaim Fortress: Once you have created and abandoned/lost a fortress, you can take a band of military dwarves to fight the monsters that now inhabit it. If you succeed, the fortress is yours to play in once more, just like the standard dwarf fortress mode.
    * Adventure Mode: In this mode you explore the world in a fashion similar to Rogue, Nethack, or Angband, completing quests and killing monsters. In adventure mode you can uncover details about your world's legends.
    * Legends: In the fourth mode you can read more about the legends of your world, provided you've discovered them through adventuring.

* The world is randomly generated with distinct civilizations spanning over 1000 years of history, dozens of towns, hundreds of caves and regions with various wildlife.
    * The world persists as long as you like, over many games, recording historical events and tracking changes.
    * Command your dwarves as they search for wealth in the mountain.
    * Craft treasures and furniture from many materials and improve these objects with precious metals, jewels and more.
    * Defend yourself against attacks from hostile civilizations, the wilderness and the depths.
    * Support the nobility as they make demands of your populace.
    * Keep your dwarves happy and read their thoughts as they work and relax.
    * Z coordinate allows you to dig out fortresses with multiple levels. Build towers or conquer the depths.
    * Build floodgates to divert water for farming or to drown your adversaries.
    * Much much more...
    * Play an adventurer and explore, quest for glory or seek vengeance.
    * Meet adversaries from previous games.
    * Recruit people in towns to come with you on your journey.
    * Explore without cumbersome plot restrictions.
    * Seamlessly wander the world -- 197376 x 197376 squares total -- or travel more rapidly on the region map.
    * Accept quests from the town and civilization leaders.
    * Retire and meet your old characters. Bring them along on an adventure with a new character or reactivate them and play directly.
    * Z coordinate allows you to move seamlessly between dungeon levels and scale structures fighting adversaries above and below.
    * The combat model uses skills, body parts, wrestling, charging and dodging between squares, bleeding, pain, nausea, and much more.
    * A dynamic weather model tracks wind, humidity and air masses to create fronts, clouds, rain storms and blizzards.
    * Over two hundred rock and mineral types are incorporated into the world, placed in their proper geological environments.
    * Add new creatures, weapons, plants, metals and other objects via modifiable text files.
    * Extended ASCII character set rendered in 16 colors (including black) as well as 8 background colors (including black).

Due the the very easy editing of the raws, (simple text files that make up a lot of the game) many mods have been created that can range from full conversions of races, creatures and items to a simple additional stone type.

Stallion's Dig Deeper Mod

Stallion's Mod adds only what is needed to keep the original Dwarf Fortress feel to the game, while extending it.... Digging Deeper!

70+ new animals.
    A new civilisation.
    50+ new craftable trade items.
    10 new metals.
    A new gem.
    8 new wood/tree times.
    15 new plants (with associated extracts and drink).
    6 new weapons.
    6 new pieces of armour.
    14 new sets of speech for adventure mode.
    53 new engravings.
    And numerous changes!
    Download it here!: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=35736.0

Gibbed's Dwarf Fortress Tweak

Combines adjuststart.exe, reveal.exe, warp.exe, heal.exe, and a few new ones into one convenient program.

Dwarf Companion

This project is about having a helper utility for dwarf fortress, hopefully filling gaps in the user interface. It will also allow some cool cheating, so that it would be possible to play with the engine. For example, you can now mark your nobles as butcherable! Ain't that cool?

Requires the latest version of Python and Gtk+/Win32 Runtime Environment.

Indecisive's Illustrated Dwarf Fortress Tutorial

Your First Fortress

The Wiki - The most useful site related to Dwarf Fortress - Go here for anything and everything.

The Official Forums

Dev Log - Check it every now and again for latest developments.

The awesome tale of Boatmurdered.

Thorny
    Teh Zip File
    Skullivan
    Punjon
    Banned?
    Viro
    Rusty-bucket
    KamikazII
    Deadly Midget
    GenericAlt
    Drew Carey
    LordLoss
    Rotinaj
    Jota DÍ V2
    mad skillz11
    Khyour
    Orkel
    Mikkelmann
    EvilJesus4
    Tetsmega
    swat99
    Skooma
    Ev!LHavoc
    FK102
    tinhead50
    scout1
    Themage
    Lemurman
    Resto
    Hamsterman
    Galenus
    Swebonny
    El Ruffianos
    PI3 B01
    cheesedelux
    LEETSEPEAK
    littlerippa
    Vronkio
    Kwal
    ClavusElite2
    Meerkat
    Adbor
    XD!
    IlikeHL2
    DeadorK
    Xed
    Kondor
    Raymastereo
    Loney
    nunu
    Goofa
    No_0ne
    lamaar
    coolguy1351
    ShanOMac794
    Canesfan
    Scope0
    ChimeraR
    KyleL999
    Coilgunner
    Stallion
    DmGod
    RedNick27
    Zezibesh
    venn177
    Zatharon
    Suicide Requiem
    Duncanfrost
    Boomersocks
    Misterwaffle
    Libertas (Attempted thread ninja rawr)
    theJ89
    jimmymi
    Wakka V2
    Vexont
    Jugulum
    rexxaH
    HALP cat
    Darth_GW7
    AwesomeDino
    Comcastic
    war_man333
    WhatCannon?
    UnMute
    TamTamJam
    Antallion
    Awesomecaek
    TBot_Alpha
    Virtanen
    Ninja Gnome
    yourshadow
    Doug52392
    DeathDoom
    Sasasing
    RSahlgren
    Krinen
    Killowatt
    canuhearme?
    ohforf
    Zocom

These people all play Dwarf Fortress, and so do you, I guess, and maybe if I'm in a good mood I'll add you too!

Credit to FlyingDog, thanks for the pictures buddy. <3

Remember:

LOSING IS FUN!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 9Dumb Dumb x 6Friendly Friendly x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,173 Posts
    I used to play this during my spare time in Web Design. I remember having all my dwarfs killed by a fish or something. The entire river was filled with blood.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    3,205 Posts
    I used to play this during my spare time in Web Design. I remember having all my dwarfs killed by a fish or something. The entire river was filled with blood.

Most likely the last thing your poor dwarfs saw. :ohdear:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 38Agree Agree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    11,053 Posts
    Those dwarfs died a senseless death :Dawkins102:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,718 Posts
    Those dwarfs died a senseless death :Dawkins102:
    :fireman:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

6. Post #6
    May 2008
    481 Posts
    Add me to the list of players please.
    Also nice new thread!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

7. Post #7
    May 2008
    3,082 Posts
    Add me to the list, this is a great game to play at school when I'm supposed to be working! :ninja:

Edited:

All my dwarves once died as a result of a failed judgment of how much water was in an underground cavern... such a tragic mining accident.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    777 Posts
    Canuhearme? in the last thread posted:
    Thanks for the advice, luckily however the area around my fortress is "Heavily Forested" and besides, the farms I'm making are going to be 4x4 each, would that be safe?
    Well, when I start the game and I have just 7 dwarves, a 2x4 farm is more than enough. Plump helmets grow pretty fast and you get 5 booze from 1 plant so assuming you have a decent grower (affects the amount of crop you'll get, like plump helmet [2] vs. plump helmet [5]) and no other trouble in the production lines, you'll have plenty of booze. Also, remember that you can cook booze, multiplying your food when compared to just eating plump helmets.
    Anyways, it's not like your 4x4 farms are gonna destroy you. You'll notice if you have tons of plump helmets and reduce farming and get used to it. Maybe you can make a system where you have farms and storages big enough so that you can skip a farming season or something.
    I'm willing to take the chance, since if I manage to survive and thrive long enough to actually get Adamantine, that means I'll actually somewhat understand the game and, to me, that's worth more then even the largest deposits of Adamantine.
    Yeah...I remember my first forts...I made so many forts, only to abandon them to build a new, better one with new understanding of some game mechanic.
    I've been hearing of a Game Over caused by mining "Too Deep..."

What the hell does that mean, how is it explained, what does it show for Game Over, etc.
    In the old 2D version (which was in several other ways different too, not just dimensionally) there was     a hidden semi-random countdown, related to the amount of adamantine mined, from when you reached the HSF. When it finished you'd get a cryptic message of some blaming goblins and some blaming the possible demon that dwarves might have released from the depths.    
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    wow ok
    December 2007
    16,418 Posts
    Another continuation of the dwarven tradition of Thorny making the DF threads. :buddy:

10. Post #10
    Gold Member

November 2005
    11,757 Posts

Most likely the last thing your poor dwarfs saw. :ohdear:
    A Carp isn't Dangerous is it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,718 Posts
    A Carp isn't Dangerous is it?
    So you think...

and then it happens...

:gibs:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 19Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,235 Posts
    I played an adventurer.
    Human.
    Killed 372 humans. and 25 animals, A dragon and 200 elfs.
    No dwarfs.
    Well it turns out after fleeing a city I got killed by one of those monkey things.
    Good times.
    He appeared when I later looked at historical figures for the world.
    And then I had a dwarf engrave him on the wall too during a fortress. It was pretty cool.

13. Post #13
    What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?
    June 2006
    2,327 Posts
    My first time playing I had my dwarves cross a river. Biggest mistake ever. 10 dwarves entered...1 left. He was insane and died of starvation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,618 Posts
    So, are we going to start this new thread with a Bloodline game?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    7,234 Posts
    Woo first page.

I have a bad habit of starting a fort and getting everything set up, just to get bored because there's nothing else to do at the moment. I need some patience.

16. Post #16
    May 2008
    481 Posts
    So any smart ways on making a dam, other then pumping water out faster then its entering? I tried putting flood gates above it then collapsing it. Nope didn't work. wiki says it just deconstructs the building.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,718 Posts
    So, are we going to start this new thread with a Bloodline game?
    I think we should, Only if people who sign up actually play out their turns.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,618 Posts
    I think we should, Only if people who sign up actually play out their turns.
    You realize if you give it to me, I'd probably make the entire place go to Hell faster then you can say "Carp."

19. Post #19
    September 2008
    1,098 Posts
    A bloodline game?
    I'm game

I'm on Christmas break, so I'll have plenty of time if one gets started.

Edited:

Oh, I've also PM'd Thorny the BB code used in the last thread, so nothing was truly lost.

20. Post #20
    April 2009
    230 Posts
    i have gold and tetrahedrite on my map so i can start making electrum :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,618 Posts
    If a Bloodline game starts, I humbly request a dwarf is named after me (one of the original seven) however, I won't be playing him simply because if I was to do a year of one of your fortresses I KNOW I'll fuck it up beyond recognition.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,718 Posts
    You realize if you give it to me, I'd probably make the entire place go to Hell faster then you can say "Carp."
    Then you suck at DF.

Just kidding, I'd do the same exact thing.   

23. Post #23
    Everything You Do is a Balloon
    March 2007
    1,510 Posts
    I'd be up for a bloodline game

24. Post #24
    May 2008
    481 Posts
    Im game. I'd like to go in one of the beginning years if that's possible.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    1,910 Posts
    To all who say a carp isn't dangerous, You have not edited them to walk on land and to breath fire
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    March 2008
    577 Posts
    Lol at bloodline games on Facepunch. You all must not know about The Curse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    1,910 Posts
    Also sorry for you're loss of info Thorny

^ If they do they are probably trying to break it

28. Post #28
    July 2006
    67 Posts
    built a tower cap farm and used 2 lakes to muddy up the soil. I didn't think about what would happen when it rains again. now I lost all of my saplings.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,618 Posts
    Fucking hell, everywhere I embark either lacks mountains and all the sweet, sweet riches that comes from it, or it has mountains but little to no soil.

I KNOW I CAN MUDDY THE CAVERNS, I simply don't know how since my mountains usually lack pockets of water.

Speaking of food, is it a sign you are a crappy Dwarf Fortress player if the first meal your dwarves have is while they are standing up by the barrels you brought with you? Or is that expected.

30. Post #30
    September 2008
    1,098 Posts
    SO, if we make a bloodline game, we need someone to start it.
    We also might have to post logs off Facepunch for the sake of tidiness. Or we could do some PM thing or something, and link the status from this thread, so people will be up to date.

Anyways... anybody willing to start us off?

31. Post #31
    October 2009
    417 Posts
    Also sorry for you're loss of info Thorny

^ If they do they are probably trying to break it
    sorry for you are loss of info?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    1,910 Posts
    He lost Soem things he was working on for this new thread apparently

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,618 Posts
    Will this Bloodline game have updates complete with images? Because I want to see my Canuhearme Dwarf get torn apart by Mandrills in gory detail.

34. Post #34
    September 2008
    1,098 Posts
    I can only assume... I mean we DO have [img] tags.
    And everyone here DOES know how to get pictures from DF, right?

right?

RIGHT?!

35. Post #35
    March 2008
    577 Posts
    Alright, here's a quick couple of tips for you gents to use if you actually decide to try to play a bloodline game:

1) Don't have a crapton of people participating. Limit it to around 5 people.
    2) Make sure that the people who are playing know how to play the game, and know how to play it well
    4) You also need motivated people to play
    5) Don't let the time restrictions be too loose, but also don't make them to restrictive
    6) To player #3 - Don't forget
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,718 Posts
    Creepy...I reclaim my old fortress and one of the once occupied caskets are empty...

:ghost:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    March 2008
    577 Posts
    Creepy...I reclaim my old fortress and one of the once occupied caskets are empty...

:ghost:
    Zombie Dwarves...
    How come no one made a mod of this yet?

38. Post #38
    July 2006
    67 Posts
    Awww fuck, I forgot to build a filter for my magma forge room. I hope imps don't pop up and burn my smiths.

39. Post #39
    SO, if we make a bloodline game, we need someone to start it.
    We also might have to post logs off Facepunch for the sake of tidiness. Or we could do some PM thing or something, and link the status from this thread, so people will be up to date.

Anyways... anybody willing to start us off?
    I would recommend a thread in the "Games in Progress" subforum, then periodic updates in this thread

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,718 Posts
    I would recommend a thread in the "Games in Progress" subforum, then periodic updates in this thread
    That's another reason why they never get finished, (nevermind)

But if it was in this thread then there would be a better reminder to finish.