1. Post #441
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    3,397 Posts
    So you're late.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #442
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    1,833 Posts
    When are they going to release it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Poland Show Events

3. Post #443
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,763 Posts
    Can anyone recommend me a graphics pack while I watch the tutorials?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Friendly Friendly x 1Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

4. Post #444

November 2009
    1,477 Posts
    Dryvnt, Mike Maydays Tileset. Hang on a sec whilst I link ya.

Edited:

http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php

Enjoy mate. Seriously give this a go. Update is coming soon, gives you a chance to somewhat gain your feet ready for the awesomeness that will be released soon. Great game, best fun i've had in a while.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

5. Post #445
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    26,098 Posts
    Was reading the underground part of the new version and.. "The standard amount of layers (around 15) has been scrapped and increased dramatically, upwards of 50-100 layers."

This means that the underground is deep as fuck now. I mean seriously, 100 layers to dig into? Each with possible surprise encounters of procedurally generated monsters and possible underground features like lakes and magma and caverns? Nerdgasm.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

6. Post #446
    March 2008
    577 Posts
    Now that I think about it, this update might just shit on computers unless everything is very optimized
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #447
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,937 Posts
    Was reading the underground part of the new version and.. "The standard amount of layers (around 15) has been scrapped and increased dramatically, upwards of 50-100 layers."

This means that the underground is deep as fuck now. I mean seriously, 100 layers to dig into? Each with possible surprise encounters of procedurally generated monsters and possible underground features like lakes and magma and caverns? Nerdgasm.
    Good luck getting magma that's 100 layers down. But, this allows for much more expandable fortresses (underground, anyway), and much deeper Chasms (I know they're 'endless' but now we can get the real feeling of how deep they really are)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events

8. Post #448
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    1,833 Posts

Well they better give us gyrocopters in next updates.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Poland Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #449
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    19,053 Posts
    Now that I think about it, this update might just shit on computers unless everything is very optimized
    Toady said that you won't notice the performance hit on most computers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 4 (list)

10. Post #450
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    3,397 Posts
    Urist McPilot interrupts Pilot Gyrocopter: Interrupted by Antman
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

11. Post #451
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,235 Posts
    Urist McPilot interrupts Pilot Gyrocopter: Interrupted by Antman
    Urist Mcpilot has been struck down.
    Antman has collided with gyrocopter.
    Antman has been struck down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

12. Post #452
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    January 2009
    21,473 Posts
    I just fucking hope there will be pipe system with possible magma and water pressure.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Czech Republic Show Events

13. Post #453
    NATURALLY WIRED TO HAVE SEX WITH KIDS
    June 2007
    8,817 Posts
    Urist Mcpilot has been struck down.
    Antman has collided with gyrocopter.
    Antman has been struck down.
    It explodes in gore!
    Urist Mcbuddy has gone into a tantrum!
    Urist Mcfriend has gone into a tantrum!
    Danny Mcbob has gone into a strange mood!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

14. Post #454
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    421 Posts
    If executed well (like everything else in this game, but you get my drift) that could be so awesome. And then we could make true flying fortresses. So much potential awesome.

Also, can I be added to the players list?

15. Post #455
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,235 Posts
    Urist mcflyingfortcopterengineoperator cancles operate engine, hungery.
    Urist mcflyingfortcopterengineoperator cancles eat, falling.

16. Post #456
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    19,053 Posts
    Urist McFlier cancels operate flying engine: thirsty
    Urist McFlier has collided with an obstacle and died.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

17. Post #457
    June 2007
    8,817 Posts
    I want automatons.
    It would add some more function to the mechanic workshop.
    You would build them through the building menu and it would take like a full set of armor and a bunch of clockwork pieces. When it's finished it will move around and you would have a tireless, emotionless, worker to do mundane task such as hauling, mining, woodchopping, and perhaps even fighting.
    Higher quality armor and clockwork gears would allow the automaton to move faster and swing harder.

18. Post #458
    CRUSHER OF DREAMS AND EATER OF SKITTLES
    August 2007
    5,614 Posts
    I play, by the way. I've been playing since a year or two ago, though not as much now because it's so hard to find a good spot.
    Also, More layers now? I hope that includes sand layers (some of my most successful fortresses have been partly sand. All the stockpiles and such are in a sand layer, so it's really easy to get big stockpiles early on.)

19. Post #459
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    1,833 Posts
    Urist McPilot cancels pilot gyrocopter : tantruming
    Urist McPilot has gone into a tantrum!
    Urist McPilot toppled gyrocopter.
    Urist McPilot fell into deep chasm.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Poland Show Events

20. Post #460
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,215 Posts
    I want automatons.
    You would build them through the building menu and it would take like a full set of armor and a bunch of clockwork pieces. When it's finished it will move around and you would have a tireless, emotionless, worker to do mundane task such as hauling, mining, woodchopping, and perhaps even fighting.
    Higher quality armor and clockwork gears would allow the automaton to move faster and swing harder.
    Masterwork Adamantine Automaton vs. HFS

Place your non-descript bets now!

I place 10 Rose Gold coins on the Automaton.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

21. Post #461
    June 2007
    8,817 Posts
    Masterwork Adamantine Automaton vs. HFS

Place your non-descript bets now!

I place 10 Rose Gold coins on the Automaton.
    Just imagine outfitting your automaton with artifact clockwork pieces or artifact armor.

Also, I didn't imagin the automaton having a quality level, but when the automaton is finished, it would become a creature called 'automaton'. It would be controllable just like a dwarf, but if you view it's status it would say things like 'right admantine gauntlet', 'iron helmet' or 'Troll destroyed Automatons thumb, left steel gauntlet' which would be the equivalent to viewing a dwarf and seeing 'right hand', 'head', or 'troll destroyed Urist Mcdwarfs thumb, left hand'. Viewing an Automatons thoughts would appear blank. The clockwork inside of the automaton would be like its organs, which if they were destroyed, would cause an instant disable of the automaton. If an automaton were disabled, the pieces could be recovered and you could rebuild him.

I think it would also be neat if some dwarves could have feelings for an automaton, like it were a friend, and then go into a tantrum if it were destroyed.

Automatons would probably need some hard coding though.

22. Post #462
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    3,397 Posts
    Artifact adamantine automaton that shoots fireballs and lightning.

23. Post #463
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,215 Posts
    Automato has come under a fell mood! AND IT NEVER ENDS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

24. Post #464
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,731 Posts
    Automatons should require a Dwarven soul to produce.

25. Post #465
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,283 Posts
    Maybe if there were extreme disadvantages to converting someone to an automaton. Otherwise, there would be no reason not to.

I think automatons (or golems, or whatever you'd like to call them) should require a dwarf to be designated in creating them, and they should be superior to a crippled dwarf but inferior to a healthy dwarf.

That way you can turn your bedridden spine injuried parasites into somewhat worthwhile individuals.

26. Post #466
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    3,397 Posts
    Or just have the requirement as a non-rotten dwarf corpse.

27. Post #467
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,731 Posts
    Maybe if there were extreme disadvantages to converting someone to an automaton. Otherwise, there would be no reason not to.

I think automatons (or golems, or whatever you'd like to call them) should require a dwarf to be designated in creating them, and they should be superior to a crippled dwarf but inferior to a healthy dwarf.

That way you can turn your bedridden spine injuried parasites into somewhat worthwhile individuals.

I have returned.

Edited:

Should I put every "useless" dwarf into the army? As in the dwarves with professions I know I'll never use?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

28. Post #468
    March 2008
    577 Posts

I have returned.

Edited:

Should I put every "useless" dwarf into the army? As in the dwarves with professions I know I'll never use?
    Yes

29. Post #469
    February 2008
    917 Posts

I have returned.

Edited:

Yes. Especially soap makers. Peasants are somewhat useful as haulers.

Motherfuck- Ninja.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

30. Post #470
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    26,098 Posts
    Nah man. All male peasants go into the fortress/royal guard and the female peasants stay in hard labour. That's how I roll.

31. Post #471
    February 2008
    917 Posts
    Nah man. All male peasants go into the fortress/royal guard and the female peasants stay in hard labour. That's how I roll.
    Female peasants go straight into the military full stop, as their armor is much better than any other. Plus I can keep them happy enough to keep it intact as well.

32. Post #472
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,404 Posts

Think of the execution towers that'll be possible now. Top of the map to the bottom. Mmm.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #473
    February 2008
    917 Posts
    Think of the execution towers that'll be possible now. Top of the map to the bottom. Mmm.
    I'm pretty sure the force of the impact will shoot the gibs at a speed that can kill someone... Oh, the ideas forming now!

34. Post #474
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    26,098 Posts
    A NEW DEVLOG UPDATE finally.

Hello from H1N1 land. I haven't managed to get a note up since I've been away from my computer and I'm going to be away for a few more days while I recover, but I had to come back to pay rent today so I thought I'd get something up in addition to the note Zach left over in the list thread. I wasn't actually planning to take any more time off after Christmas day itself, but I've been staying over with my family so they can monitor my health, and I'm in no condition to work anyway. I also can't check my email/messages there since I'm not allowed to contaminate their keyboards. At least I can keep fluids down now. Scamps is having a blast with his extended vacation, surrounded by new toys and pieces of my mom's plants that he has chewed off. Anyway, my eyes are starting to hurt again and I've got people waiting. Hopefully I made sense and stuff.
    So no working on DF for days. Dammit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

35. Post #475
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,731 Posts
    At least I now know I have an endless supply of Troglodytes for use as training.

36. Post #476
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    January 2009
    21,473 Posts
    What happened to him? :ohdear:
    I didn't read the thread for some time.

Edited:

About those automatons - I had exactly the same idea few months ago. I even wrote it down... somewhere! I don't remember most of details, but this is some of what I remember.

I had more types of automatons listed

Sapling - Made of wood
    +Hauling
    +Farming
    -No attacks
    -Weak
    +When deactivated, turns into stack of 5 plump helmets after some time
    (used as basic helper for hauling and farming. In emergency, can be sacrificed for plump helmets)

Stone Golem - Made of Stone
    +All classic dwarf tasks
    +Can fight
    +Tough
    -Slow, bashing, not too powerful attacks
    (overall replacement for dwarf for dangerous or less important tasks. Clumsy, slow, but tough)

Metal Golem
    +Same as Stone golem, just faster and more powerful
    (better replacement. Kinda expensive, but almost indestructible (while still prone to malfunction), good fighter)

Reaper - Made of bones
    +Fast Moving
    +Fast Cutting and Piercing attacks
    -cannot haul or do anything useful

Magma Golem
    +Melt Faces
    -The fucking thing is on fire
    (Dangerous even to have around. Excellent fighter, while highly dangerous for everything around)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Czech Republic Show Events

37. Post #477
    February 2008
    917 Posts
    A NEW DEVLOG UPDATE finally.

So no working on DF for days. Dammit.
    Its not H1N1, its long term exposure to the cuddly wuddly syndrome. Just mentioning Scamps proves this.

38. Post #478
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,235 Posts
    I want automatons.
    No need for migrants.
    The seven start by building a small command hub.
    Then begin producing the robo-dwarfs.
    robodwarfs build super cool base.
    the 7 retire into luxury and have the robots do everything, such as build more robots and fight real and robo goblins.
    However I could use these robo-dwarfs to build underwater bases for my dwarfs.
    Because robots don't drown.

39. Post #479
    June 2007
    8,817 Posts
    What happened to him? :ohdear:
    I didn't read the thread for some time.

Edited:

About those automatons - I had exactly the same idea few months ago. I even wrote it down... somewhere! I don't remember most of details, but this is some of what I remember.

I had more types of automatons listed

Sapling - Made of wood
    +Hauling
    +Farming
    -No attacks
    -Weak
    +When deactivated, turns into stack of 5 plump helmets after some time
    (used as basic helper for hauling and farming. In emergency, can be sacrificed for plump helmets)

Stone Golem - Made of Stone
    +All classic dwarf tasks
    +Can fig...
    No, automatons, not elemental golems. Dwarves aren't magic.
    An automaton (plural: automata or automatons) is a self-operating machine. The word is sometimes used to describe a robot, more specifically an autonomous robot. An alternative spelling, now obsolete, is automation.
    Metal, not wood, not stone. Metal.

It's what dwarves do best.

No need for migrants.
    The seven start by building a small command hub.
    Then begin producing the robo-dwarfs.
    robodwarfs build super cool base.
    the 7 retire into luxury and have the robots do everything, such as build more robots and fight real and robo goblins.
    However I could use these robo-dwarfs to build underwater bases for my dwarfs.
    Because robots don't drown.
    They can only do simple task like hauling, swinging a sword, pickax, or a wood ax. Not only that but they would be kinda slow unless you have a legendary mechanic and smith to churn out smooth armor and clockwork pieces that can move faster.

They couldn't do fine things like creating more small clockwork pieces(So automatons can't create more atomatons), cooking, carpentry, masonry, etc.

I was also thinking about giving clockwork appendages to dwarves who lost theirs.

40. Post #480
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    26,098 Posts
    They couldn't do fine things like creating more small clockwork pieces(So automatons can't create more atomatons), cooking, carpentry, masonry, etc.
    But that would be fun as hell, if some go berserk and run into the wilderness they could return with a hundred robot soldiers later on. Cylons, dwarf style.