1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    Remember this guy?

It was pretty cool what he did. The only problem was what he did looked like shit, and more importantly, he was being an asshole about it, refusing to tell anyone how he did it.

So I decided to do it right and do it myself.

It's very easy to do what he did, and I did it 10x better. I'm at work right now so i can't give specifics, but all it involves is a collision controller in the particle system.

The only problem is i can't think of what to do with it gameplay-wise. You can't detect particles in a volume so you can't do anything like filling up buckets :(

Here's a download link if you want to play around with it.

http://www.filefront.com/15188993/dynamic.zip

If you do it in GMod you don't need the particle_manifest.txt file. Also if you're going to mess with it in GMod you'll probably want this:

http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=41386

You'll have to type the name of the system manually into the tool. Its name is "water_faucet".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Artistic x 126Useful x 12Dumb x 9Friendly x 5Late x 3Disagree x 3Optimistic x 3Winner x 2Agree x 2Informative x 2Funny x 2Bad Reading x 1Bad Spelling x 1Zing x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,577 Posts
    Dayummmmm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 39Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,876 Posts
    That is very cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 17Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    1,391 Posts
    I am 99% sure I saw something sort of like this on youtube earlier. did you replicate that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Reading x 120Dumb x 11Funny x 4Bad Spelling x 3Optimistic x 1Late x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,876 Posts
    The only problem is i can't think of what to do with it gameplay-wise.
    You could have a puzzle map where you have to turn a bunch of switches and rotate some shit to make the water go to a certain thing to activate it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 28Bad Reading x 1Useful x 1Artistic x 1Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Groovy Member
    January 2005
    2,884 Posts
    To be honest, just looks like you gave it a refracting material unlike the first video.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,577 Posts
    Wrong.
    His has better physics, it doesnt bounce like its rubber
    Also, it could be used to create games where you have to funnel the water into a bucket.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Reading x 20Agree x 12Informative x 2Late x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,876 Posts
    This would be a good contender for the fretta gamemode contest - Channel the water into a bucket to complete the level.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Bad Reading Bad Reading x 19Agree Agree x 9Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    159 Posts
    Is there any noticeable lag or slowdown when it's spewing water?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

10. Post #10
    BOSSMAN
    January 2009
    4,492 Posts
    woah thats cool. How did ya do it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb x 16Bad Reading x 3Funny x 2Agree x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,549 Posts
    It looks and acts more like ice sludge to me, but it's pretty cool. Good job.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    April 2009
    446 Posts
    Damn, thats pretty fucking awesome
    good job
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    June 2009
    480 Posts
    I can't really see a lot, you should make it brighter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    15,046 Posts
    The physics on the water aren't that realistic though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 19Disagree Disagree x 6Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    3,702 Posts
    Show me a game with realistic water physics. The one that was entirely based around water doesn't count.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 24Dumb Dumb x 15Friendly Friendly x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Follow me on github!
    January 2009
    2,622 Posts
    It looks to me that yours has no impact on the physics entity when the water hits it.
    Eg water spray's on a barrel the water collides but the barrel takes no physics impact

But fucking awesome work anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

17. Post #17
    September 2009
    1,344 Posts
    My reaction to the first video

:aaa:

My reaction to the second video

:aaa:

My reaction when I saw the download.

OH GOD FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCC CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK YEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Dumb x 57Agree x 9Funny x 6Optimistic x 3Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,657 Posts
    fucking incredible
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree x 6Bad Reading x 1Useful x 1Dumb x 1Funny x 1Disagree x 1Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    May 2009
    774 Posts
    Sexy shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    September 2008
    265 Posts
    Hello awesome hidden water fall bases
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 38Useful Useful x 4Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    September 2009
    1,344 Posts
    You sir, are a fucking genius.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 44Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    May 2009
    315 Posts
    You don't even have to make anything decent with this. I would enjoy messing around on the test map there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,230 Posts
    I would too! Just the testmap would be fun, building little canals and such :D This could work for the Fallout gamemode, too
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    17,481 Posts
    You sir, deserve a pallette.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 25Artistic Artistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,918 Posts
    Release that map, or make some sort of addon for GMod.

Edit:

Wow I'm blind, rate me dumb.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb x 76Bad Reading x 7Funny x 3Agree x 2Useful x 1Friendly x 1Informative x 1Disagree x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    To be honest, just looks like you gave it a refracting material unlike the first video.
    The first video's particle system is not only ugly (that's where the refract comes in) but his settings for collision are off.

It looks and acts more like ice sludge to me, but it's pretty cool. Good job.
    I need a better texture :( Is it acting like ice because it's moving too slow?

I can't really see a lot, you should make it brighter.
    Are you watching in HD? I can't figure out what to use to make the video brighter.

The physics on the water aren't that realistic though.
    I haven't messed with the advanced features of the particle editor yet, mainly because there's no documentation on it. I'm sure there's something in there to make it act better.

Fucking awesome idea!

There's now a download link if you guys / gals want to mess around with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    November 2009
    132 Posts
    Could possibly make one of those games that send water out from a hole and you have to create and connect pipes to send the water to the opposite hole.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

28. Post #28
    July 2009
    1,099 Posts
    You could have a puzzle map where you have to turn a bunch of switches and rotate some shit to make the water go to a certain thing to activate it.
    Also, it could be used to create games where you have to funnel the water into a bucket.
    This would be a good contender for the fretta gamemode contest - Channel the water into a bucket to complete the level.
    You can't detect particles in a volume so you can't do anything like filling up buckets :(
    But I have to admit, while not trying to put you down OP because I think what u did is amazing, what would really blow my mind is some custom lua water that is truly dynamic and physical. Like, so you could do bucket puzzles. Or even just a custom particle effect, if you could. But yeah, I still love what you did. Oh, and I'm totally on board for that hidden waterfall base thing. Epic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2Agree Agree x 2Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,774 Posts
    I just realized this would work perfectly in my map...
    Awesome!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    Tried the waterfall thing. It doesn't scale so well. It was pretty laggy. Did look pretty cool though.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Artistic x 11Dumb x 3Funny x 2Agree x 1Useful x 1Informative x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    ♩♪♫♬
    March 2009
    2,453 Posts
    I can feel the lag from here.

Looks awesome though D:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 30 (list)

32. Post #32
    March 2008
    37 Posts
    This is really cool. I hope you make a tuition soon. Now is it possible to do that with smoke so it can go around objects. That is what I trying to do in my new map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    July 2009
    319 Posts
    Here's an idea for gameplay with it:

Since it collides with props, you could have something like, lets say a mini-dam that releases a stream and pushes a door open or creates a bridge when you get it to flow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    Here's an idea for gameplay with it:

Since it collides with props, you could have something like, lets say a mini-dam that releases a stream and pushes a door open or creates a bridge when you get it to flow.
    Unfortunately it can't push props.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 3 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,326 Posts
    This is amazing, much better than the "water benchmark" that the other guy had, though it does look a little fugly flowing over the sheet metal as it doesn't fan out, it simply flows in a column over it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    March 2009
    567 Posts
    Log flume ride

I remember dasmatze was working on one a few months ago but this would be a much better method
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Make it have the ability to flood a room. Then, I can call it dynamic
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 20Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    1,461 Posts
    Make it have the ability to flood the whole Hammer grid without any noticeable lag at all, not even 1 frame drop. Then, I can call it dynamic
    :science:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree x 18Funny x 9Optimistic x 4Dumb x 4Artistic x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    September 2009
    1,344 Posts
    We got dynamic water, sheesh, valve aren't fucking gods!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 22Dumb Dumb x 6Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    ♩♪♫♬
    March 2009
    2,453 Posts
    We got dynamic water, sheesh, valve aren't fucking gods!
    You'd need more than a demigod to do that any time in the next 10 years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)