1. Post #121
    December 2009
    362 Posts
    Great work so far! I remember back when we were watching the little youtube screen through an RT cam.

But is it at all possible to have resume features(and allow newly joined players to start watching) for .mp4 videos? I'd love to play full movies in a single .mp4.
    Sorry for the double post, but what I said was more or less a lie.

It is possible to seek an MP4 file, but it requires that you do some setup on your web server. You need to use one of these:
    http://developer.longtailvideo.com/t...#HTTPStreaming

PlayX doesn't support any form of HTTP streaming out of the box due to the potential variation in setups, but I can write you a provider that can do just that.

2. Post #122
    December 2009
    362 Posts
    An update on the newest version of PlayX:

[LIST=1][*]gm_chrome support (Google Chrome's rendering engine for Gmod), allowing for a vast performance upgrade.[*]Bookmarks (client-side) accessible via an easy to use interface.[*]Wire outputs with lots of metadata (title, description, etc.)[*]Some internal revamps and other minor changes.[/LIST]Some screenshots:

Note that the features shown are not final. There are still a few things I would like to add to the bookmarks, for example.

3. Post #123
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    I like the progress alot. Great Work so far.

Would be nice for anyone not too friendly with using the wire outputs, to put a small tutorial on how to output the metadata.

4. Post #124
    December 2009
    362 Posts
    Output the metadata for...?

5. Post #125
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    Output the metadata for...?
    Some people use consoles and such, maybe even HUD displays, but I know how to use neither, so yeah. How would you use wiremod to output the metadata? If that's what your telling me.

6. Post #126
    December 2009
    362 Posts
    The information is server-side, so if you have access to the server, you can write a HUD. The data is in PlayX.CurrentMedia.

I take it that you don't know how to use Wiremod, so just ignore that feature.

7. Post #127

December 2009
    6 Posts
    Cool, cant wait to get my hands on the bookmarks, that was the only thing why i kept the youtube player installed, now i can switch fully to playx.

8. Post #128
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    The information is server-side, so if you have access to the server, you can write a HUD. The data is in PlayX.CurrentMedia.

I take it that you don't know how to use Wiremod, so just ignore that feature.
    Quite the contrary dear sherlock. :P Wiremod is all im good at these days. I teach people how to use it and such, but there seems to always be something even I cant figure out, usually pertaining to the console wiremod parts and using wire links and such along those advanced Wire Functions and parts. Other than that, not really anything has caused me to get stumped. I was only wondering which component of wire to use to retrieve and display the information.

9. Post #129
    December 2009
    362 Posts
    Oh right, I forgot -- you do know wire.

They are regular wire outputs.

10. Post #130
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    Oh right, I forgot -- you do know wire.

They are regular wire outputs.
    Yeah, I hope it's not too hard to implment into some random contraptions.

11. Post #131
    December 2009
    362 Posts
    Only use for it I can think of is a theater. :X

12. Post #132
    May 2009
    1,106 Posts
    sooo... when do we get this wholesome upgrade? i cant wait for wire outputs. but, what about a string input for the player? right now im being forced to use e2 concmd to spew my url's from my contraption.

13. Post #133
    December 2009
    362 Posts
    I can't really say. I have been busy with other things, so I haven't found much time to work on PlayX. I also want to add a few more video sharing/streaming sites (a lot of work) and add another major feature.

There will be a wire input, although I am considering whether it should be blocked by default or not (controlled by a server cvar). I will have to throttle it anyway, so someone doesn't try to crash clients by spamming, possibly by accident, videos, so maybe it won't matter if it's on by default.

14. Post #134

August 2009
    369 Posts
    Sorry for my minge post, but you know the client stop command for the video, can you add a radius around the tv where no one will be effected within the area and everyone else will automatically have the player stopped, so you could implement this in a server with people in it who don't want to hear the loud player.

15. Post #135
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    I've been testing with sk89q, I've suggested a sound radius like that before, but ultimately it's his decision, and I don't think It will be released with v2, and more likely,, if at all, it will in v3.

16. Post #136
    December 2009
    362 Posts
    It's something I've considered for a long time, and we will see. I am trying to get v2 out the door as quickly as I can, so I don't drag on without any usable form of the player available to the public.

17. Post #137
    February 2008
    1,321 Posts
    Sorry for the double post, but what I said was more or less a lie.

It is possible to seek an MP4 file, but it requires that you do some setup on your web server. You need to use one of these:
    http://developer.longtailvideo.com/t...#HTTPStreaming

PlayX doesn't support any form of HTTP streaming out of the box due to the potential variation in setups, but I can write you a provider that can do just that.
    How would you feel about keeping in touch? I'm going to try to learn how to get this working and I'm confident I can but I have no clue with .lua and I would really love to see the movie idea happen.

I have a custom map and server dedicated to it how do you feel about chatting on steam friends?

18. Post #138
    December 2009
    362 Posts
    Feel free to add me then.

19. Post #139
    February 2008
    1,321 Posts
    Feel free to add me then.
    Awesome, my steam name is tgcujo.

20. Post #140
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    lol we both have dedicated servers, and I love his work so far, so yeah, we might all join a server sometime for this, yours, or mine, I dont mind.

21. Post #141
    August 2009
    170 Posts
    I came back to this thread (Downloaded a while ago) to suggest bookmarks but I guess your already getting there :D. The progress looks amazing and I can't wait 'till it's done!

22. Post #142
    May 2005
    35 Posts
    Umm it doesn't look like this has been posted anywhere but I'll post it here. Sometime last week (if it matters) any time someone plays a video on playx for the first time, my whole computer crashes (just upgraded to a kick ass quad core with 4 gbs of ram so it's not a shite pc problem). The only way I can actually watch a video one after another or at all is to join whilst a video is already in progress. I installed the gm_chrome install thing and got the same results. (yes I have chrome installed and yes flash is installed into chrome). I'm using IE6 but that shouldn't be a problem since I tried it with chrome and it still does the same exact thing.

23. Post #143
    December 2009
    362 Posts
    Did this start happening after you upgraded your computer?

The version of PlayX everyone is using does not support gm_chrome.

24. Post #144
    May 2005
    35 Posts
    Did this start happening after you upgraded your computer?

The version of PlayX everyone is using does not support gm_chrome.
    I wouldn't know since I hadn't used PlayX since before my upgrade. I am using an old version of IE so let me upgrade that and tell you how it goes. (really hate to do that since IE seems to be a waste but oh well)

25. Post #145
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    But yeah, when V2 is publicly released (in the forums, unless youve somehow already discovered it) then it will have full gm_chrome support, but you will need to find somewhere to host a html file to inject player code into using gm_chrome until an alternative is formed.

26. Post #146
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    On a side note, the Grocel Browser SVN has been updated, if anyone doesn't actually know what it is, it's the Radio Stream Music Player and Browser Developmental Addon. By sk89q's consent, or someone else posting it, I'll give the actual svn link, as to try to not hijack the thread.

Same goes for BlackOp's Portal Gun svn.

On topic, keep the work up, I hope there's great personal satisfaction in this for you, I can't imagine how anyone could repay you for your time and effort.

27. Post #147
    insert long title here
    January 2009
    15,172 Posts
    What would be the best resolution for a background image?

28. Post #148
    December 2009
    362 Posts
    1024x512

29. Post #149
    December 2009
    362 Posts
    I'd like to make a statement on the status of the project.

To start, I was completely bored of Gmod by the end of last year. Since then, I have increasingly opened Gmod less and less, and only to see what friends were doing and not to actually build anything. Now it's at the point where I can't even to stand to open Gmod. Since I don't even get to use PlayX anymore, and I have other things in life to attend to, it looks like I won't be making updates to PlayX anymore (I already haven't touched PlayX in weeks). However, PlayX being open source, you are free to copy PlayX's code and "fork" off your own version. I'll explain how you could go about forking PlayX, the current status of the code, and also the implications for those who were making a custom gamemode around PlayX (the news shouldn't have a large impact on you).

Forking the Code

A fork is a copy of source code from one program that is then used to create an independent version. It is often done to save abandoned projects, to experiment with radical features, or to take a different direction of development where there is disagreement over goals. As PlayX is licensed under GPLv2, this is entirely permissible and you do not need explicit permission from me.

As the most basic level, you could just download PlayX's code and then change it around. However, I am using Github, which makes it ridiculously easy to create a fork. You'll first need a Github account (free) and then you'll need to click the "Fork" button on PlayX's Github page. Note that Github uses Git, and Git is very different from SVN in many aspects.

Should you should to fork PlayX, understand that:

[LIST][*]You cannot use "PlayX" for your project's name.[*]You cannot use PlayX or my name in a manner that suggests endorsement of your fork.[*]You have to maintain the attributions of copyright.[/LIST]Status of the Code

Right now, the major features that are implemented are:

[LIST=1][*]gm_chrome support[*]Bookmarks[*]New framework for fetching media metadata[*]Wire outputs[*]Hooks[/LIST]Note that gm_chrome support requires manual installation of additional files by users. Fortunately, I have already produced an automated installer to make that easy for even the most technically-challenged user. It can be found at: http://wiki.github.com/sk89q/playx/gm_chrome

The major features that were to be implemented for the target version of v2:

[LIST=1][*]More providers (Hulu, justin.tv, etc.)[*]Bookmark keywords and quick keyword search[*]Requests system[*]Played media (history)[*]Integrated video/media search[*]Wire inputs[*]Update notification system[*]A bundle of a provider and scripts to allow easy streaming (and seeking) of h.264 files for those who had a web server[/LIST]The major features for v3 that were planned were:

[LIST=1][*]Multiple simultaneous PlayX players[*]Hooks to tell PlayX whether a particular player should be "on"[*]Granular permission system to allow normal users to use the player[*]Shared web browsing[*]Playlists[*]Pausing[*]More realistic projection of projector screens[*]Server-side bookmarks[*]Externally populated server-side bookmark list[/LIST]The minor features and fixes that were planned:

[LIST=1][*]Bookmark add dialog, accessible via the "Administrate" page[*]Bookmark backup that creates a backup every few days and trims old backups[*]Get the bookmark list control to fill the height of the spawn menu[*]Fix the minor issue with the shadow on the player sometimes reappearing[*]Don't trigger wire outputs unless the outputs have changed[*]Show an optional aesthetic light glow cone for projectors[*]Show tracer lines to help pinpoint the location and spread of the projector and screen better[*]Add Luadoc[*]Fix the bookmarks dialog so that providers could be selected via a dropdown (that could also take in arbitrary input)[*]Allow mass bookmark management via the bookmark management dialog[*]Allow server owners to optionally disable the download of the PlayX spawn icon[*]Put the "Provider:" label and the dropdown in the "Administrate" page on the same line[*]Add a cvar that allows server owners to require gm_chrome for PlayX to work[*]Change the system so that provider names are read from across the wire rather than from a hard-coded file[*]Update the Livestream player with the new embedded player[*]Change the handlers to use the list library[/LIST]Known issues that must be fixed:

[LIST][*]PlayX doesn't properly detect when the required PlayX materials for gm_chrome support do not exist. Changing lua/playx/client/playx.lua:60 to:
    Code:
    if mat and matSq and not mat:IsError() and not matSq:IsError()  then
    might fix that.[/LIST] Worthy of mention are:

[LIST][*]Bookmarks are stored as CSV files, so you can open them up in Excel or OpenOffice.[*]Providers are now registered via the list library.[*]The GetLengthFunc API call was removed. A different metadata function is now called.[/LIST]Those Making a Gamemode

I am aware that there are quite a few people that were making a custom gamemode based around PlayX, and I have a feeling (gathered from Google-provided statistics) than one of such recently went online.

Fortunately for you, none of the unimplemented planned features for PlayX for v2 would have had an impact on you. The greatest asset in PlayX for you should be gm_chrome support, and that has been already fully implemented. Right now, you should be able to upgrade your version of PlayX with the copy of the source code currently online. However, one change to note is the difference in how providers are registered, so be aware of that.

For users to be able to use gm_chrome, they need the gm_chrome binaries and two textures. I have already produced an automated installer that installs those components:
    http://wiki.github.com/sk89q/playx/gm_chrome

Google Chrome is *not* required in any case.

--

The code is at http://github.com/sk89q/playx

--

I will still be around though, so I am still open to questions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

30. Post #150
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,038 Posts
    I hope it comes to good use mate.

31. Post #151
    October 2007
    14 Posts
    Wow great addon SK! I've already made a mini theater for use with this and resizer.

I've been trying to stream from VLC to the player with no luck, if anybody figures it out, please post it here.

32. Post #152

February 2010
    31 Posts
    Awesome. Thanks for the update.

Chrome is NOT required for the player to function correct?

33. Post #153
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,681 Posts
    Does this not work anymore? I can't get it to work.

34. Post #154
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,681 Posts
    Reinstalled it without the media query thing, still doesn't work. Great.

why no automerge

EDIT: ah, fixed it by restarting the map, but isolated the problem. game.CleanUpMap() makes it not work.

35. Post #155
    May 2009
    1,106 Posts
    yes, indeed it appears to have ceased proper operation. i click it on the entity tab, and nothing pops up.

36. Post #156
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,703 Posts
    I'm fairly sure I have a copy of a working install on my server, would you like that?

37. Post #157
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,681 Posts
    I got it to work now, all is well.

38. Post #158
    December 2009
    362 Posts
    game.CleanUpMap sounds like a dangerous function :C

Chrome is NOT required.

I've been trying to stream from VLC to the player with no luck, if anybody figures it out, please post it here.
    VLC doesn't stream in any protocol that Flash Player supports, and using any other player is like rolling dice.

You have to use a Flash streaming server such as Red5 (free [headache]), Adobe Flash Media Server ($$$), or Wowza Media Server ($$$).

OR use a service such as Livestream, justin.tv, Stickam, or Ustream.

39. Post #159
    October 2007
    14 Posts
    Alright thanks SK, I'm gonna go try get that working now.

40. Post #160

February 2010
    31 Posts
    We have found a small bug or conflict.

Users that have chrome installed from gmod tower get the following error.

PlayX DEBUG: Using gm_chromeRequesting browser 32 32 / 32 32Found an existingAttaching regen to texture "error"

~thanks