View Poll Results: What did you think of it?

Voters
2012. You may not vote on this poll

745 37.03%

349 17.35%

266 13.22%

111 5.52%

32 1.59%

19 0.94%

25 1.24%

14 0.70%

61 3.03%
  • No interest in seeing it.

390 19.38%
  1. Post #2001
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,294 Posts
    And there we go. I assume it's being closed now?

Btw, they would need a pretty big nuke to wipe out the planet.

2. Post #2002
    October 2009
    1,019 Posts
    What about him makes him so G.I. Joe villain to you, I ask? Is he evil for the sake of being evil, as most Saturday morning villains tend to be? I think not, and here's why (spoiler alerts, kinda):
    [sp]Remember the speech he gave the new arrivals? About how Pandora is dangerous and blah blah blah? Consider that Quaritch is a career military man: he thoroughly enjoys his job and the sense of invincibility that surviving many conflicts has bestowed upon him. Many soldiers don't care for the horrors of war, but a few enjoy the thrill of the kill, such as Quaritch here. He thought he was unstoppable, and held great pride in withstanding what he believed was the worst kind of hell any man could go through short of hell itself (this is evident in how he handles many situations, such as kicking down the door seperating him from an unbreathable atmosphere, and merely holding his breath, as well as when he strapped himself into his AMP suit and saw the fact that he was on fire as a mere annoyance). When he arrived on Pandora, he thought nothing of the planet but as another obstacle he had to contend with... Until he got his little "souvenir". Those scars on his face are a testiment that he's not nearly as indestructible as he thought he was, and so he has a sort of vendetta against the planet that showed him up. He was going to kill Pandora before it killed him.[/sp}
    Or perhaps I'm looking way too much into it, but I'd rather than than not at all. It's more fun to me this way.
    This is still cartoonish as shit.
    What subtlety is there about him? What depth of character or conviction?
    He is violent for the sake of violence, militaristic for the sake of militarism.
    He is an utterly one-dimensional character whose sole motivation is to do violence.
    He's so fucking single-minded that he even lacks basic self-preservation instincts, and instead of running away to fight another day, just keeps rushing forwards to his inevitable doom.

The weather systems on/around the Tepuis are likewise unstable like that. It'll foggy as fuck one instant, then clear for 10 seconds, then fog again, then clear for hours, then rain, then clear, then more rain, etc. Granted they did stay fairly clear for quite some time in the movie, particularly the battle scene, which it might've added to the suspense a tad if they had to fight in fog. But then again with a battle like that most people want to see everything that's going on, and it wouldn't be quite as suspenseful if the humans kept crashing into the mountains instead of fighting.
    If you're admitting that they just did shit because it looked cool and didn't bother to think about it, why are you arguing with me?

I'll just assume you're an expert in ecosystems and leave you to your little world then. Tepuis have little to no vegetation on top of them, contrary to what you saw in "Up".
    Feel free to look this one up before attacking me, why don't you?
    Feel free to make an ass out of yourself by assuming I'm referencing "Up" and didn't do a basic Google search about Angel Falls before commenting.
    I Googled the actual not-in-a-cartoon Angel Falls, and everything I read about it says there's hella vegetation on top. What proof do you have that there isn't any?

3. Post #2003
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,932 Posts
    Old thread got locked for too many posts. So here's the new one.

Also people requested I post the link to the original script. So here it is: http://chud.com/articles/articles/21...WAS/Page1.html

NOW NOMINATED FOR 9 ACADEMY AWARDS:
    Picture
    Director
    Editing
    Cinematography
    Art Direction
    Visual Effects
    Sound
    Sound Editing
    Original Score

No way it'll beat hurt locker for director or picture, but it's most likely gonna grab everything else. Maybe not original score though.

Saw the midnight showing in 3D imax. Fucking hell that was awesome.

The 3-D was just what they said it would be, mind-blowingly awesome. I would absolutely love to see more movies made like that. The way you could actually focus your eyes on different stuff on the screen was really cool, simply amazing. I can't get over how awesome that shit was. By far the best looking film I've ever seen.

SEE IT IN 3D. IT REALLY MAKES THE FILM THAT MUCH MORE AWESOME.

The movie itself was also really enjoyable. I got over how goofy the aliens looked after about 10 minutes. There's also a few really corny parts, stuff that made some of the people in the theater laugh, but it's still a really fucking fun movie, and the 3-D just makes you enjoy it that much more. This really is a movie that has to be seen in theaters, and in 3-D. Can't wait to see it again.

BOX OFFICE REPORT:

In about 3 days it covered the production budget of $237 Million for the film.
    It took the film about 1 and a half weeks to surprass Twilight 2
    It take the film about 2 weeks to surpass Transformers 2
    It took the film 17 days to make over $1,000,000,000 and grab the rank of fourth highest grossing film wolrdwide
    It took the film 20 days to become the second highest grossing film wordwide, second only to James Cameron's previous film, Titanic.
    It took the film 38 days to overtake titanic's foreign box office record
    It took the film 39 days to become the highest grossing film worldwide, beating Titanic's record of $1.84 billion.
    It took the film 45 days to make over $2 billion.
    It took the film 47 days to surpass Titanic's US box office record of $600 million.
    It took the film 73 days to make $2.5 billion.

www.avatarmovie.com

After a 12 year break from Hollywood, James Cameron, the guy behid Aliens, Terminator, the Abyss, and Titanic is making a comeback with a film he’s apparently been working on for ages, but was unable to make due to technology apparently not being good enough to make it right. Writter, director, and producer James Cameron describes the story as “a futuristic tale set on a planet 200 years hence [...] an old-fashioned jungle adventure with an environmental conscience [that] aspires to a mythic level of storytelling “ and a press release explained it futher “Avatar is also an emotional journey of redemption and revolution. It is the story of a wounded ex-marine, thrust unwillingly into an effort to settle and exploit an exotic planet rich in biodiversity, who eventually crosses over to lead the indigenous race in a battle for survival” It's written entirely by Cameron, who previously wrote the terminator films as well as Aliens.

What’s interested me the most about this movie is the incredible amount of effort they’re putting into it. Here’s a summary of what’s gone into this movie:

1. They’re making their own ‘alien language and culture’ for the film to make it more authentic. The detail they're putting into the language is incredible. Wikipedia copy-paste: "Working with Paul Frommer, linguist and Director of the Center for Management Communication at USC, he developed a whole language and culture for the Na'vi, the indigenous race on Pandora"
    2. The music will be done by James Horner, the guy that made the music to Aliens and Terminator, who will be “also working with Wanda Bryant, an ethnomusicologist, to create a music culture for the alien race
    3. As well as the music and the language, they’re also getting Neville Page, the guy that made the cloverfield monster and the star trek ice monster to create all the monsters for the movie, which is pretty rad.
    4. When it comes to Imax it's going to have 3 months of screen time on the IMAX screen, while other films like Star Trek only got 2 weeks.
    5. The big one: Cameron will be introducing a new method of filming he’s created that involves the use of two HD cameras strapped into one big camera, for the purpose of creating depth perception. This system is called the Reality Camera System.
    Here's a video about the camera. Thanks to itchybarracuda for finding it.

The film will be in IMAX 3D, and "Cameron expects 'Avatar' to be about 60% CG animation, based on characters created using a newly developed performance capture-based process, and 40% live action, with a lot of VFX in the imagery." He's said that "It’s not with a single CGI character, like King Kong or Gollum." but does have photo-realistic CG characters.

Trailer

MOVIES COMING SOON USING THE AVATAR 3D CAMERAS:

Tron Legacy
    Resident Evil 4
    Jackass 3
    Ghostbusters 3
    Gremlins 3

Also apparently clash of the titans and the upcoming harry potter are going to be edited to be in 3D like avatar.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly x 14Informative x 5Agree x 5Dumb x 4Disagree x 2Late x 1Artistic x 1Bad Spelling x 1Useful x 1 (list)

4. Post #2004
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    3,353 Posts
    Sure was a film.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Ireland Show Events Agree x 38Disagree x 15Informative x 4Dumb x 3Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #2005
    Dennab
    September 2007
    727 Posts
    Amazing movie, a must see.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree x 53Disagree x 4Funny x 2Informative x 1Useful x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #2006
    December 2009
    48 Posts
    In Avatar they didn't even establish defined characters, theres a male and female lead, and a bad guy. The rest of the cast are various multi-3d illuminous shades of nothing in the background (/foreground/mid-field).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Ireland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 42Agree Agree x 19Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

7. Post #2007
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    3,353 Posts
    Original script is far better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 16Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #2008
    October 2009
    1,019 Posts
    What about him makes him so G.I. Joe villain to you, I ask? Is he evil for the sake of being evil, as most Saturday morning villains tend to be? I think not, and here's why (spoiler alerts, kinda):
       Remember the speech he gave the new arrivals? About how Pandora is dangerous and blah blah blah? Consider that Quaritch is a career military man: he thoroughly enjoys his job and the sense of invincibility that surviving many conflicts has bestowed upon him. Many soldiers don't care for the horrors of war, but a few enjoy the thrill of the kill, such as Quaritch here. He thought he was unstoppable, and held great pride in withstanding what he believed was the worst kind of hell any man could go through short of hell itself (this is evident in how he handles many situations, such as kicking down the door seperating him from an unbreathable atmosphere, and merely holding his breath, as well as when he strapped himself into his AMP suit and saw the fact that he was on fire as a mere annoyance). When he arrived on Pandora, he thought nothing of the planet but as another obstacle he had to contend with... Until he got his little "souvenir". Those scars on his face are a testiment that he's not nearly as indestructible as he thought he was, and so he has a sort of vendetta against the planet that showed him up. He was going to kill Pandora before it killed him.   
    Or perhaps I'm looking way too much into it, but I'd rather than than not at all. It's more fun to me this way.
    This is still cartoonish as shit.
    What subtlety is there about him? What depth of character or conviction?
    He is violent for the sake of violence, militaristic for the sake of militarism.
    He is an utterly one-dimensional character whose sole motivation is to do violence.
    He's so fucking single-minded that he even lacks basic self-preservation instincts, and instead of running away to fight another day, just keeps rushing forwards to his inevitable doom.

The weather systems on/around the Tepuis are likewise unstable like that. It'll foggy as fuck one instant, then clear for 10 seconds, then fog again, then clear for hours, then rain, then clear, then more rain, etc. Granted they did stay fairly clear for quite some time in the movie, particularly the battle scene, which it might've added to the suspense a tad if they had to fight in fog. But then again with a battle like that most people want to see everything that's going on, and it wouldn't be quite as suspenseful if the humans kept crashing into the mountains instead of fighting.
    If you're admitting that they just did shit because it looked cool and didn't bother to think about it, why are you arguing with me?

I'll just assume you're an expert in ecosystems and leave you to your little world then. Tepuis have little to no vegetation on top of them, contrary to what you saw in "Up".
    Feel free to look this one up before attacking me, why don't you?
    Feel free to make an ass out of yourself by assuming I'm referencing "Up" and didn't do a basic Google search about Angel Falls before commenting.
    I Googled the actual not-in-a-cartoon Angel Falls, and everything I read about it says there's hella vegetation on top. What proof do you have that there isn't any?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

9. Post #2009
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,294 Posts
    Yes, the original script was by far much better. But I liked the movie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #2010
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    shit was tight
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #2011
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    1,858 Posts
    Best fucking film i've ever seen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 39Disagree Disagree x 19Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #2012
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,932 Posts
    Added a poll for an easier way to say what you think about it. 10 options was maximum though, so I couldn't put a 1 or a 0.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #2013
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,516 Posts
    wait holy shit RE4 is coming?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

14. Post #2014
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    3,353 Posts
    Tron Legacy in 3D :awesome:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #2015
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,932 Posts
    Tron Legacy in 3D :awesome:
    fuck yeah
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #2016
    October 2009
    1,019 Posts
    "When Will White People Stop Making Movies Like "Avatar"?"
    http://io9.com/5422666/when-will-whi...es-like-avatar

Good article about the not-so-subtle racism in Avatar.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 25Agree Agree x 7 (list)

17. Post #2017
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,294 Posts
    I'll just post this B-roll footage as I did in the old thread.
    http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/avatar/b-roll-i
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Norway Show Events Informative Informative x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #2018
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    283 Posts
    I'll sum it up.

The story was unoriginal, the characters were not memorable, but the CGI was astounding, and the immersion of Pandora and it's environment is excellent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 43Dumb Dumb x 3Late Late x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #2019
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,703 Posts
    Fucking loved it. I've seen it twice already and plan to go again sometime this week.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #2020
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    3,353 Posts
    Good thread postal
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #2021
    October 2009
    1,019 Posts
    The story was unoriginal, the characters were not memorable, but the CGI was astounding, and the immersion of Pandora and it's environment is excellent.
    This.

Cameron is a good director, and whoever Cameron hired to do the CGI is amazing, but he cannot write a script to save his life.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 15Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 7 (list)

22. Post #2022
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,731 Posts
    I watched it in 3D, its fucking awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Chile Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 3Late Late x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #2023
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    8,134 Posts
    My fucking dick exploded during the final battle. THat was fucking amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

24. Post #2024
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    3,353 Posts
    but he cannot write a script to save his life.
    Aliens?
    T2?

Also I find it ironic that both Cameron and Ridley Scott haven't made proper sci-fi in fucking years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

25. Post #2025
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,614 Posts
    This.

Cameron is a good director, and whoever Cameron hired to do the CGI is amazing, but he cannot write a script to save his life.
    Except his script for the original Avatar was incredible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 22Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #2026
    October 2009
    1,019 Posts
    1. They’re making their own ‘alien language and culture’ for the film to make it more authentic. The detail they're putting into the language is incredible. Wikipedia copy-paste: "Working with Paul Frommer, linguist and Director of the Center for Management Communication at USC, he developed a whole language and culture for the Na'vi, the indigenous race on Pandora"
    All they did was combine Native American and Ethiopian cultures.
    Why the fuck did they need a bunch of PhD's at USC to do that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

27. Post #2027
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    3,353 Posts
    It was better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Ireland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

28. Post #2028
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,932 Posts
    I'll sum it up.

Agree but I thought Colonel Quatrich was a pretty memorable character. i felt like I was watching some old 90's action film whenever he was on screen. Stephen Lang is awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Disagree Disagree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #2029
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    6,626 Posts
    I feel it was more of a tech demo than a movie. Not that the plot was awful, it was just generic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 16Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

30. Post #2030
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    3,353 Posts
    He is bad ass in Public Enemies (a    far BETTER    film)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Ireland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 15Disagree Disagree x 6 (list)

31. Post #2031
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    10,790 Posts
    I want to get around to seeing it sometime soon
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #2032
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    3,353 Posts
    I feel it was more of a tech demo than a movie. Not that the plot was awful, it was just generic.
    The Crysis of the movie world, if you will.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 18Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

33. Post #2033
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,932 Posts
    He is bad ass in Public Enemies (a    far BETTER    film)
       Was he the guy that shot dillinger in the head at the end?   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #2034
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,294 Posts
    Thread needs this interview :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Norway Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #2035
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,614 Posts
    Who plays Colonel Quartich anyway? He seems like a new face.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

36. Post #2036
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    November 2007
    2,328 Posts
    I'm going to see it on the 17th since our nearest 3D cinema is 2 hours away.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Russian Federation Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

37. Post #2037
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    1,383 Posts
    I'm probably going to see it tomorrow. And I'm making sure that it's going to be watched 3d
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

38. Post #2038
    October 2009
    1,019 Posts
    Wow, excellent comparison!

Definitely the best 3D and best CGI I have ever seen, but yeah it did feel like a tech demo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

39. Post #2039
    November 2009
    1,137 Posts
    I hated it when I saw it in the movies, but after I got home I started to think. It really is a good movie. Or maybe it's just the na'vi's blue skin that I find hot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 5Dumb Dumb x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #2040
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    3,353 Posts
       Was he the guy that shot dillinger in the head at the end?   
       Yes   

Edited:

Who plays Colonel Quartich anyway? He seems like a new face.
    Stephen Lang, badass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Ireland Show Events Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)