1. Post #1
    December 2009
    132 Posts

thanks to 02browns and noodleboy347 for the pics

Edited: This thread now seeming to be the official go-to thread for everything related to the source filmmaker, i thought i'd clean it up a little bit. For starters, i'll be posting a more detailed description of how to get the thing to work, as well as source filmmaker tutorials and eventually a full documentation of the program. If you need to contact me about anything related to SFM or if you want to help me with my own personal machinimas, the info is under my avatar.

For more in-depth info on the Source filmmaker, click here

For a majority of the information relating to SFM and future information about SFM I setup this directory/blog to organize and update things easier.

Source Filmmaker Tutorials
    Setting up the Source Filmmaker

Recording a simple scene with SFM and basic animation video tutorials (with Pandamobile)

Moving cameras in SFM video tutorial (with Pandamobile)

Multiple cameras in SFM video tutorial (with thrawn2787)
    (note: you can save yourself time and just press the "k" key)

Source Filmmaker Basics (thanks to TerebyteS)

NEW! Configuring custom maps and TF2 retail maps for SFM

Community Source Filmmaker Videos
    Youtube playlist Directory

The current youtube playlist

If you want to be part of the SFM community playlist, which will greatly increase the number of views/subscribers you receive, post a comment containing a link to the youtube video at the youtube playlist blog directory (link above) and the name you want to be credited as or remain anon. You can also post it in this thread and I will add it. All videos get added to playlist no matter what. If the video is good enough, i'll post front page on the SFM blog.

You can submit any other info you might know to me and i will add to this post as time goes on and i document more and more. As new methods are discovered for certain actions in SFM, i will amend the changes on this post. If you wish to with this post (banners, text/pic/video tutorials, coding etc) contact me through the blog, e-mail, this thread or whatever.

IMPORTANT NOTE

Do not and i mean DO NOT contact me in any way asking where to get these programs or to give you a link to where you can download them. I will not respond and you will most likely be blocked. Do not ask in this forum either. I will answer any and all other questions though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Artistic x 79Dumb x 23Funny x 4Friendly x 2Bad Spelling x 2Useful x 2Late x 2Disagree x 1Agree x 1Optimistic x 1Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    November 2008
    3,336 Posts
    The video doesn't look that impressive.

Edit:

Although the videos that other people have posted do look impressive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 141Agree Agree x 59Dumb Dumb x 4Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    1,054 Posts
    Looks alot like a Meet the Video.
    This could be useful If I need some HQ Rendering.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree x 52Disagree x 2Dumb x 1Bad Spelling x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    2,902 Posts
    All you did was render it at 120 fps
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree x 52Disagree x 12Dumb x 5Funny x 1Informative x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,205 Posts
    Looks like max settings and the HWM models used, my game looks like that normally.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 47Disagree Disagree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Captain Westcliff: Thinks Wales is an Island
    January 2006
    18,704 Posts
    fake and GAY!

according to youtube commenters. I thought it looked kinda cool though, might look better with more stuff happening?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 22Dumb x 6Disagree x 5Funny x 3Optimistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    392 Posts
    Looks blurry and not HD.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 44Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 7Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    December 2009
    132 Posts
    wow, more replies then i thought i'd get XD
    Someone mentioned HQ rendering for them, i'd gladly do it for anyone who asks.

EDIT: im uploading a more high quality version to Vimeo, since youtube likes to devour video quality like it's Gabe Newell at an all you can eat buffet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 39Funny Funny x 5 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    15,240 Posts
    wow, more replies then i thought i'd get XD
    Someone mentioned HQ rendering for them, i'd gladly do it for anyone who asks.

EDIT: im uploading a more high quality version to Vimeo, since youtube likes to devour video quality like it's Gabe Newell at an all you can eat buffet.
    Ooh, a Gabe joke. How original and edgy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 86Dumb Dumb x 12Funny Funny x 4Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    12,875 Posts
    It's not exactly a myth that Gabe enjoys food.
    Everyone likes food..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree x 58Disagree x 6Informative x 2Dumb x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    20,979 Posts
    Looks blurry and not HD.
    I wonder if you're talking about the motion blur.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 19Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    December 2009
    132 Posts
    I wonder if you're talking about the motion blur.
    at least someone sees it, while it may only be mildly noticeable in this video (granted, that kind of movement on a real life cam wouldn't cause a lot of motion blur anyway) i'm releasing a long test/short film this week (hopefully) because someone responded to my post who actually have some decent animation skills. On that note, i'm also looking for people who sound like the characters from left 4 dead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,640 Posts
    Just post the console commands
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 21Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,692 Posts
    I was impressed, it looks really nice, I agree with Karmah, console commands plex
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. United States Show Events

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,523 Posts
    $5 says he just threw it in After Effects and applied some Reel Smart Motion Blur.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 15Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    December 2009
    132 Posts
    i would gladly, but this quality goes far deeper then console commands, im afraid

EDIT: this is NOT in after effects
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,523 Posts
    Then tell us what you did, because I could just run a TF2 video through After Effects to get the same look.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

18. Post #18
    December 2009
    132 Posts
    Then tell us what you did, because I could just run a TF2 video through After Effects to get the same look.
    if you can replicate dof ill be impressed. i only had it lightly on this video. I can't revel that yet because i dont want any competition for a film im releasing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb x 57Funny x 2Informative x 1Bad Spelling x 1Friendly x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,523 Posts
    Okay, so the point you're making is that you're actually doing all these filmic effects IN TF2? What else besides DOF and better motion blur are you doing. As a fellow machinimator, I'm quite interested in this.

(is it okay if I add you on Steam? )
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    December 2008
    1,076 Posts
    Okay, so the point you're making is that you're actually doing all these filmic effects IN TF2? What else besides DOF and better motion blur are you doing. As a fellow machinimator, I'm quite interested in this.

No no he can't tell you you'll steal it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 45Agree Agree x 4 (list)

21. Post #21
    December 2009
    132 Posts

np, and ill be more then happy to share how to do all of this AFTER i finish a few films, so im not ripped-off, ya know?

And yes, it is all in game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 24Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,312 Posts
    np, and ill be more then happy to share how to do all of this AFTER i finish a few films, so im not ripped-off, ya know?

And yes, it is all in game.
    Tell it to everybody, nobody is stealing what is yours if it is never yours in the first place.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 22Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Tesla Jesus
    May 2007
    5,088 Posts
    So.... You made this thread to say "Hey everybooody guess what I can do! You want to too? Too bad!"?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 101Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    June 2009
    1,647 Posts
    TELL US!

aSADFASDDAFS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Saudi Arabia Show Events Agree Agree x 8Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,523 Posts
    Well, I managed to get a fairly decent re-do of what he did with After Effects.

I recorded the Heavy in the Model Viewer, made a video of a static camera on 2Fort, chroma-keyed out the background in the Heavy video, applied motion blur to the Heavy, and a slight gaussian blur to the background video for emulate DOF.

I want your secrets :|
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    332 Posts
    TELL US! please when i get my new computer i need to know how you render that please...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mexico Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    OMG HALO REACH IM GONNA CUM
    December 2006
    16,645 Posts
    OP is a selfish jerk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 106Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,398 Posts
    Reminds me of those dudes who PMed -Trase- saying that he shouldn't say how to use CVars and etc just because they took a crap load of time to do it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 9Agree Agree x 4 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,523 Posts
    I really don't get why he's worried about people 'stealing' his rendering techniques. It's not like we're going to steal his machinima ideas. Something like this should be shared, not whored :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 22Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,431 Posts
    Err, I don't really see a difference between in-game and this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 17Disagree Disagree x 6Dumb Dumb x 2Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    8,809 Posts
    The motion blur isn't a new thing anyway, it's easily able to simulate it with rendering it with high FPS, or maybe just use After effects motion blur.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events Late Late x 4 (list)

32. Post #32
    April 2009
    955 Posts
    Quantum's High Quality Config + "startmovie raw 120"
    That's how you do it, and it'll look better than this.

High Quality config : http://www.dieall.de/da2008/index.ph...=view&where=30

http://www.dieall.de/uploads/HighQuality_1.jpghttp://www.dieall.de/uploads/HighQuality_2.jpg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete France Show Events Disagree Disagree x 12Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    12,875 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17Disagree Disagree x 6Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member

June 2007
    4,281 Posts
    HWM models + max quality config = looking nice

Render at 120 fps + double the speed in AE and use frame blending = motion blur

Looking nice + motion blur = the secret
    (DOF doesn't count, as it's almost unnoticeable)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 13Disagree Disagree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    December 2009
    132 Posts
    I'll shed a little more light on this considering the tools you'll need to get this to work are illegal for me to give to anyway. While the post above with the console commands are (mostly) correct, I'm in the beta version of TF2 with the Source Filmmaker. Yes, i got it to work again, and yes, i can prove it if you want.

Here's the vimeo version too: http://vimeo.com/8466790
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    8,398 Posts
    I'll shed a little more light on this considering the tools you'll need to get this to work are illegal for me to give to anyway. While the post above with the console commands are (mostly) correct, I'm in the beta version of TF2 with the Source Filmmaker. Yes, i got it to work again, and yes, i can prove it if you want.

Tell me, what are you winning not telling anyone how to do it.
    It's better tell everyone and get the credits instead of someone else discovering how to do it and making everyone laugh at you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    935 Posts

So, where is your proof.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    June 2009
    827 Posts
    Good quality
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    December 2009
    132 Posts
    Tell me, what are you winning not telling anyone how to do it.
    It's better tell everyone and get the credits instead of someone else discovering how to do it and making everyone laugh at you.
    I stated how i did it, i used a standalone version of the first released TF2 Beta combined with a working set of the Source Filmmaker tools. It's illegal for me to tell you how to get these things, but i can tell you how to use them if you get them.

EDIT: i'm recording proof as i speak
    EDIT2: Recording of the tool is done and is processing on youtube
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 18 (list)

40. Post #40

December 2009
    55 Posts
    Despite the OP claiming to be able to render max quality in TF2 his so called movies that he's intending to make will most likely be a load of shit and nobody will want to rip them off in the first place.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 26Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)