1. Post #3281
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,080 Posts
    I'm cosidering buying a starter kit which includes:
    -snip-

I'm mostly going to use it as a hobby for the summer, combining my passing for programming with my passion for taking things apart and seeing how they work.
    So then, this starter kit?

Not a bad choice, but you'll probably want more LEDs and possibly some more varied resistors, depending on what you're planning to try doing with it. Unless you start harvesting parts out of old/broken electronics, you're quickly going to find yourself limited by the parts you have, and wanting more.

Personally, I started with an ARDX kit, [Sparkfun's equivalent being the Sparkfun Inventor's Kit, though it can be had a little cheaper elsewhere], which held me over for a month or so before I started tearing apart old printers and whatnot.

You've also got the option of skipping buying a kit and ordering a bunch of miscellaneous parts from somewhere like Mouser or Digikey, though that's a more intimidating process, it'll end up saving you some money in exchange for time spent figuring out what to get.

Edited:

Just noticed that you're in Norway, I'm guessing you've found a supplier on your side of the ocean, otherwise, you're going to be paying dearly for shipping.

Also, having missed the original question, it's probably best to start with an Uno, unless you know you're going to need the extra power offered by the Mega. At that point, you could also look into other boards like the Leaflabs Maple, or other boards that offer an arduino/processing like programming environment for an easy start.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

2. Post #3282
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    Generally those kits are pretty expensive, but if you really just want to start and have the money, they're ok I guess
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

3. Post #3283
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,070 Posts
    Yea I was probably going to get mine from a Norwegian supplier but then I realized that a kit about the same size as the one you recommended cost almost two times as much from the Norwegian one(not surprised really) so I'm gonna look into alternative suppliers. Really appreciate the help though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

4. Post #3284
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,130 Posts
    I bought the ARDX kit as well and it has served me well for a month or so but I have become limited my parts. I am buying some LEDs (like 100, you never know), wire and strippers (jumpers area great, but not for cutting), a 64 led driver and led array, 7 segment display, and a few other things.

If you want to try display things these would be good things to get.

I also have an Electronics Learning Lab from Radioshack which has a lot of resistors, capacitors, transistors, and even op amps and logic gates. I have been using the board it came with for the sensors and such by bypassing the power rail on its breadboard. Its pretty great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #3285
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    4,068 Posts
    Have you guys seen this?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/24/s...-on-the-cheap/

Android accessory development platform based on Arduino

Do. Fucking. Want.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6 (list)

6. Post #3286
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    Have you guys seen this?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/24/s...-on-the-cheap/

Android accessory development platform based on Arduino

Do. Fucking. Want.
    Wow, I was just looking for a way to control an Android board using an Android phone (not the same thing, but related, I know).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

7. Post #3287
    October 2007
    1,574 Posts
    They are starting to make Arduinos that are 32-bit and will have some DSP abilities... might consider buying those, I hate doing stuff on AVR(non-arduino) and their shitty registers... fuck that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

8. Post #3288
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,469 Posts
    They are starting to make Arduinos that are 32-bit and will have some DSP abilities... might consider buying those, I hate doing stuff on AVR(non-arduino) and their shitty registers... fuck that.
    Dealing with 'shitty registers' is something you'll need to learn to live with if you ever want to move beyond the arduino, I would never even consider to use an arduino in any serious project.
    Besides being expensive (assuming you don't build your own) they are also rather inefficient due to all the extra code.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #3289
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    Dealing with 'shitty registers' is something you'll need to learn to live with if you ever want to move beyond the arduino, I would never even consider to use an arduino in any serious project.
    Besides being expensive (assuming you don't build your own) they are also rather inefficient due to all the extra code.
    They're that expensive because of the FTDI chip.

10. Post #3290
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    1,186 Posts
    I want to get into making boards based on arm processors, any advice?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events

11. Post #3291
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    You don't know what bad is. For a class, I had to write assembly for a chip that only had two general-purpose registers. An overwhelming majority of the code was just shifting numbers around rather than actually accomplishing anything useful.
    AVRs have 32 general-purpose registers, which is a boatload by comparison.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #3292
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    I want to get into making boards based on arm processors, any advice?
    My advice is to go and search for an ARM forum, as nobody in here will be able to help you with that.

13. Post #3293
    October 2007
    1,574 Posts
    I never had Arduino and I have coded on AVRs for some two years, and the registers are still getting on my nerves, checking datasheet for hours(english is not my mother language) and playing with registers just to do one PWM, it is getting on my nerves more and more. Not to mention, I am losing interest in those just because every time I want to switch model (ex. from AtTiny2313 to AtMega32), I am fucking with programmer because it is not working all the times, fuck that (programmer is half burned, but buying new one is just not affordable anymore).

I could have just bought Arduino and have none of that shit but instead had many completed projects.

Edited:

You don't know what bad is. For a class, I had to write assembly for a chip that only had two general-purpose registers. An overwhelming majority of the code was just shifting numbers around rather than actually accomplishing anything useful.
    AVRs have 32 general-purpose registers, which is a boatload by comparison.
    That sounds awful, is it even worth learning assembler today? I don't know why teachers are still teaching it, as when you switch MPU you also switch archihecture...
    (we will learn assembler next year)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events

14. Post #3294
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    That sounds awful, is it even worth learning assembler today? I don't know why teachers are still teaching it, as when you switch MPU you also switch archihecture...
    (we will learn assembler next year)
    It's important to understand what's going on even if you never actually write anything in assembly. They probably aren't going to force you to memorize the ISA when you write assembly, so the exact microprocessor used doesn't really matter a whole bunch. The general principles are mostly the same.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

15. Post #3295
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    I heard assembler is pretty useful to actually understand what is going on behind the code.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #3296
    October 2007
    1,574 Posts
    What does anyone gain when they understand how MPUs work? I don't want to be ignorant there but do I need to know? Everything today is going higher lever (programming).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events

17. Post #3297
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    What does anyone gain when they understand how MPUs work? I don't want to be ignorant there but do I need to know? Everything today is going higher lever (programming).
    It's useful to actually write faster code. By knowing how something works, you can make it better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #3298
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    893 Posts
    I have a custom Atmega8 board I use to goof around , add me to the list :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)