1. Post #41
    January 2010
    14 Posts
    what are the disadvantages to port forwarding?

2. Post #42
    Disadvantages? What do you mean? If you don't port forward, you cannot host a server without a Third-Party Program, eg. Hamachi (Am I right?).

3. Post #43
    what are the disadvantages to port forwarding?
    Are you going to reply?

4. Post #44
    AUTISTIC DOTA WANKER
    June 2006
    7,361 Posts
    Are you going to reply?
    Jesus, stop acting so fucking needy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #45
    But I don't want my thread to die :(
    And the fact that he asked a question, I thought he would respond. But eh.

6. Post #46
    Bump to keep it alive :(

7. Post #47
    January 2010
    14 Posts
    (facepalm)
    i got it
    i did some some research on the matter and bye bye noob questions =D

8. Post #48
    (facepalm)
    i got it
    i did some some research on the matter and bye bye noob questions =D
    Good to hear.

9. Post #49
    June 2009
    425 Posts
    For some reason I could never get listen servers to work only dedicated :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #50

October 2009
    7 Posts
    Bumpity bump bump

11. Post #51
    For some reason I could never get listen servers to work only dedicated :(
    Weird. Are you using dedicated on another machine or your own?

12. Post #52
    February 2010
    28 Posts
    I mainly made this tutorial so people can stop making threads about it.

1. Port forwarding.
    A lot of people complain that others can't connect to your listen server. You have to forward your ports. Go to www.portforward.com, find and click on your Routers model and after, it will show a list of games. Find and Click on Half Life 2 Steam Server, and follow the instructions on the following page. If a huge ad comes up, just in the top right, click 'Click here to skip this advertisement...'. And it will take you to the instructions page.

2. Going and making your server.
    Now that you've port forwarded. You will want to create your server. So go to 'Create Multiplayer' in the Gmod menu and change the settings, gamemode etc.
    After, start the game, your server is now up and running, but there is more stuff you need to do.

3. Making your server show up in the right region.

Now to make your server show up in the right place... type sv_region * into the console (* means number/value I'm going to give you)
    The number/value determines where the server will be located under the filters, eg Australia or East US.
    The numbers/values are as follows:

[LIST][*]East US - sv_region 0[*]West US - sv_region 1[*] South America - sv_region 2[*] Europe - sv_region 3[*] Asia - sv_region 4[*] Australia - sv_region 5[*] Middle East - sv_region 6[*] Africa - sv_region 7[*] The World - sv_region 255[/LIST]
    4. IP Address.
    Now that thats done, restart the map and it should be in the region you chose.
    Now when telling friends to join, give them your IP, if they go to 'View Game Info' in friends tab. It will say 'Server is not responding'. This is because it is trying to connect to your local IP, not your external IP, to give them your external IP, go to www.whatismyip.com. Copy and paste the IP it gives you. Now, put the port on the end of the IP address. Generally it's :27015 (For example mine : 123.2.182.53:27015.) Now when you've put the port on the ip address.. Give it to your friends to try out and play with you.
    Your all done! Now go play with some people that you don't even know!
    ---------------------------------------------
    Some notes, read them:

NOTE: When you host your server it might be in Internet list, and it will definitely be in the LAN list. So if it's not on the internet list, try to get someone to connect a few times, then fix your problem, or inform me, I can probably work about to fixing it.

ANOTHER NOTE: When installing addons for your listen server, install them like a normal one, just put them in your normal GMod directory.

ANOTHER NOTE (Thanks joeman.): To check if your ports are open, go to www.canyouseeme.org.

ANOTHER NOTE: About 50kb/s of your upload speed will give you the ability to support an extra player, that includes yourself. Once more than that are on the server, it starts to lag the server, BAD!

ANOTHER DAMNED NOTE: You don't need to type 'sv_lan 0' or 'heartbeat' because these are already done for you. So if someone can't connect then you must have gone to singleplayer you sneaky, little bastard. (Unless of course it was a mistake)

epic tutorial, this really helped to set up my own server. thx alot
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,638 Posts
    Please don't quote entire posts, it's pretty annoying. I'm not trying to backseat moderate.

This seems like a tutorial that actually works. I'll give it a try, thanks!

14. Post #54

July 2010
    393 Posts
    Please don't quote entire posts, it's pretty annoying. I'm not trying to backseat moderate.

This seems like a tutorial that actually works. I'll give it a try, thanks!
    >dont quote entire post

Isnt that what the quote button is for?

15. Post #55
    April 2008
    1 Posts
    Hi , I am having trouble port forwading..been trying forever!!

Here is a screenshot of my router settings...can you tell me what to write to host a listen server?

Because www.portforward.com does not have the same screenshot as my router...

16. Post #56
    December 2009
    965 Posts
    You can get your ip from the following picture:

17. Post #57
    August 2010
    9 Posts
    http://portforward.com/english/route...Dlink/DIR-615/

Good luck.
    Even after port forwarding and adjusting my Windows firewall settings, I could not get the listen or dedicated server to show up outside of my LAN.

18. Post #58
    July 2010
    39 Posts
    I can't find out the port for the server? Would I set it to the one thats highest on the 2nd port?

19. Post #59
    August 2010
    9 Posts
    I can't find out the port for the server? Would I set it to the one thats highest on the 2nd port?
    Bees on the what now?

20. Post #60
    March 2010
    689 Posts
    Good guide.

21. Post #61
    Hi , I am having trouble port forwading..been trying forever!!

Here is a screenshot of my router settings...can you tell me what to write to host a listen server?

Because www.portforward.com does not have the same screenshot as my router...
    Alright, it's simple, go to computer name, and change that to your computer, and in the UDP and TCP parts, do the ports that Port Forward.com says for you to forward, and apply the changes, if it does not take affect instantly, restart your computer.

Edited:

It's 27015.

Edited:

http://portforward.com/english/route...Dlink/DIR-615/

Good luck.
    Even after port forwarding and adjusting my Windows firewall settings, I could not get the listen or dedicated server to show up outside of my LAN.
    Alright, do this, get a friend to help, setup your server (Create Multiplayer of course hurr), and go to whatismyip.com, copy the IP, add :27015 to it and send it to the friend, tell him to type "connect IPGOESHERE:27015" in the console, and it should connect.

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    1,289 Posts
    I absolutely cannot, and have never been able to host a listen server. I'm on a giant network of 20+ computers, most of which are in my dad's office. The cable coming up to my room through the wall is connected to a large, business type router in the office with more than 40 available connections. From my room, the source cable feeds into a silver netgear hub so I can provide internet to the 4 computers I have in my room. Absolutely no idea as to what I can do. I've literally tried everything, I've been trying for years.

Edited:

I take that back, I'm actually making progress for the first time in years. Had to get administrator access for the server rack in the office.

23. Post #63
    December 2009
    965 Posts
    I absolutely cannot, and have never been able to host a listen server. I'm on a giant network of 20+ computers, most of which are in my dad's office. The cable coming up to my room through the wall is connected to a large, business type router in the office with more than 40 available connections. From my room, the source cable feeds into a silver netgear hub so I can provide internet to the 4 computers I have in my room. Absolutely no idea as to what I can do. I've literally tried everything, I've been trying for years.

Edited:

I take that back, I'm actually making progress for the first time in years. Had to get administrator access for the server rack in the office.
    You need to configure your EXTERNAL (Main router)'s ports for your needs.
    Something like this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    1,289 Posts
    Something like this?
    Yep, different model, same idea. Anywho, I think I've actually fixed it. Haven't had anyone join my server yet, but it appears in the internet server list for me. Do I have to mess with the regional settings in the console every time I start up a listen server? It's always set to the default "sv_region -1", and I'm curious as to whether or not this makes a genuine difference.

25. Post #65
    Doesn't really make a difference, but it's best if you set it so it shows in your region, there's a list on the OP.

26. Post #66
    December 2009
    965 Posts
    Something like this?
    Why'd i get rated box, I didn't say anything dumb, god dumb 10 yr old kids...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

27. Post #67
    Yep, different model, same idea. Anywho, I think I've actually fixed it. Haven't had anyone join my server yet, but it appears in the internet server list for me. Do I have to mess with the regional settings in the console every time I start up a listen server? It's always set to the default "sv_region -1", and I'm curious as to whether or not this makes a genuine difference.
    Alright, I'm pretty sure you can put in sv_region 5 for example in autoexec.cfg, and it will automatically put it to Australia.
    Sv_region -1 is unlisted I think.
    So if you use the region filter, it is not there.

28. Post #68
    November 2009
    1,563 Posts
    why not just host a dedicated server?

29. Post #69
    April 2010
    273 Posts
    why not just host a dedicated server?
    Some people want a temp server.

Edited:

The ports refuse to work even after carefully following the instructions on PortForward.com. Went to canyouseeme.org and it said "Connection timed out". Help much?

EDIT: Tried PFPortChecker. It said (while no Source game was running) that it was in use by an application. So now it's a hacker?

Another EDIT: Hurr durr, it's UDP. Checked it; was open.

30. Post #70

31. Post #71
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    1,355 Posts
    Here, have a picture guide for DLink.

First, go to 'STATUS' in your router page. (Normally http://routerip/Status/Device_Info.shtml)
    Scroll down to the bottom of the page, you'll see something like this:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5040930/dir8552/1.PNGFind your computername on the list and copy the "IP Address" part, you'll use this in a few seconds.

Now, go to "ADVANCED" then "PORT FORWARDING". You'll see a couple of rows there. Start editing any of them to look something like this:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5040930/dir8552/2.PNGIn the 'Name' field put anything, for example "gmod" or "Listen server". In TCP and UDP, put 27015.
    In IP Address, paste in the IP you copied earlier. MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE CHECKBOX VISIBLE ON THE LEFT.

Now you'll be prompted with a restart which should look like this:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5040930/dir8552/3.PNG
    Now, go to for example www.ipchicken.com and grab your IP. This'll be the IP others will connect through. Others should now be able to connect. Enjoy.

Not the most thorough guide, but it may help some people.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Norway Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

32. Post #72
    July 2010
    1,394 Posts
    So, will DDNS Work instead of Static IPs?

33. Post #73
    I don't know about DDNS.

34. Post #74
    August 2010
    900 Posts
    Bump
    Thanks man, you're awesome :3:

35. Post #75
    July 2010
    1,757 Posts
    Are you calling me dumb
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #76
    September 2009
    276 Posts
    Ok so I got to here, followed all the instructions, and when I click 'Add >' as it says at the end it just reloads the page but the 'Applied Rules' box remains blank.

Any suggestions?

37. Post #77
    September 2011
    54 Posts
    I love it!
    this is the first time something like this has ever worked for me!
    In the most non-homo way.
    HUGS FOR EVERYONE!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

38. Post #78
    holy shit my posts used to be way better quality than they ate are now
    Also, look at post dates next time please.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

39. Post #79
    September 2011
    54 Posts
    Hey,umm I followed your port thing and your canyouseeme tool says connection timed out.
    My router is fine,I can assure you that,I did'nt do the sv_region thing but that has nothing to do with the ports.
    I have a linksys E-3000
    Oh yeah I did'nt see my earlier post,it did work for a second.
    but after yesterday it stopped :{
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

40. Post #80
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    585 Posts
    You also need to set a static IP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)